Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2008, 21:18   #1
BANNED

silencer rust hole in ct100 - help needed

My Bajaj CT100 , 2005 year make, from last week the engine noise was
different, i thought the engine needed to be overhauled. but the real culprit is a hole in silencer due to rust, two holes are there , one in tail end cup and the other near rear footrest,

I have asked mechanic, is it possible to weld, but he said. it is packed with wool. so due to water logging when water servicing, due to dampness, it rusts, and it will spread easily and quickly..

I have asked to fix with m seal. but he says, it will give bad smell when it is too hot.

Any other viable idea to fix this???
Old 3rd September 2008, 00:14   #2
Senior - BHPian

IMO the best thing would be to change the silencer.

Long back when looking out for a used bike for a friend, we saw this caliber with some fancy sticker in the silencer. Turned out to be a hole patched with the sticker.
You, could try that as well LOL.

- Jag
Old 3rd September 2008, 10:51   #3
BANNED

Since there is a hole near rear footrest, it's better that you replace the whole silencer.
Old 3rd September 2008, 12:21   #4
BANNED

Thank you for your replies.... Me too think of changing the silencers. No other better choice...

but is there any method to avoid rusting hole (in 4 stroke) in it future?
Old 3rd September 2008, 13:12   #5
Team-BHP Support

By default there is a hole at the end cup in CT100, could you post the pics this would give us some idea.

Yes you can arc weld small holes and re-chrome/paint over with heat resistant paint.
Old 3rd September 2008, 16:53   #6
Senior - BHPian

Silencer rusting is not uncommon for bajaj bikes.
Even if you change the silencer, you can not be sure that the new one will last.

Check the economics and see if you can get good quality aftermarket replacement or better go for a free flow exhaust.

You may also consider jaggu's suggestion while considering the cost.
Old 3rd September 2008, 17:45   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivanoj View Post
Thank you for your replies.... Me too think of changing the silencers. No other better choice...

Its easy To keep away from the Rust, make sure when you get the new exaust go for a OEM, in the rainy days when you come home all soaked up make sure you give a lil wash to the bike to remove the rainy water and wipe it clean, i have been using the same thing on my RX100 and used to do the same thing on my HH Passion (Though RX has a lil bit of Rust it is 15 years old same paint and all, where as the Passion was rust free. not even a single patch of the brown stuff.) Learnt it from my Old Man
Old 3rd September 2008, 21:21   #8
BHPian

Hi Friends,

I have pulsar 180 (black engine) and there is rust on silencer (not 2 much) but I want to prevent spread futher , I am loooking if it is possible to repaint it again with black but I know normal paint will not work.

Is there anyone in delhi you know who can do black coating (exactly I donot know what substance it is ) again??
Old 3rd September 2008, 22:08   #9
BHPian

Hey you guy's have the same issue with my DISCOVER as well have done gas welding on it all the time when it happens but lucky me it always at the bottom end of the silencer which faces the ground.. so allready done it thrice................
Old 3rd September 2008, 22:50   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivanoj View Post
Before monsoon I used to spray water mixed with diesel. Sometimes I would smear burnt engine oil also. The pipe would look dirty but would stay good for years. I thought cleaning and wiping it dry every day at the end of a hectic day was too much of a pain. Though I must admit that's the best way to avoid rusting if you can indeed do it on a regular basis.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks