Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2008, 21:12   #31
BHPian

What is the design of the cable operating the front brake? Is it invrted 'Y' shaped for pulling both the calipers together?
Old 24th August 2008, 00:10   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan3004 View Post
What is the design of the cable operating the front brake? Is it invrted 'Y' shaped for pulling both the calipers together?
here's a close up from an earlier bike of mine
Attached Thumbnails
Need Help on buying a Bullet-img_0089.jpg  

Old 24th August 2008, 01:33   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheshagiri View Post
Hi Sankar,
This is a 1959 model and is the first alternator model to be released by RE in India. It came with an SR1 magneto as standard equipment and that is what you see on the bike. It comes with a Auto Timing Device or ATD which is fitted inside the timing case. From 1960, they added the lucas distributor. Even then SR magneto's were sold as optional as it would help start the bike without the battery. SR1 is amongst the best magneto's manufactured by Lucas. They also manufactured SR2 for twins and SR4 for 4 cylinder cards.

1959 came with the cross head screws and hence I had to get them from Hitchcock.

No - This model didnt come with Alluminium stand as standard but I just love the look of the stand.

The Alluminium full width hub was given optional and one had to buy them seperately. Only in 1957 and 58 - RE fitted this as standard and sold the bikes as Deluxe Bullet. It was only a marketing strategy.

The rear hub is called QD or Quick Detachable. It has a 2 piece axle and makes tyre removal easy. The sproket remains on the swingarm like in the newer bikes.
Some amazing bullets the silver one is really nice... where did you get those seats from? i do have a original smiths if you want it for one of your bullets you may have it i planed to keep it for my Vintage bullet that i am going to but but you really deserve to have that chrono. it does not seem to be one from bullet but is of BSA but would fit the bullet in working condition. and is that Phase 5?
Old 24th August 2008, 09:06   #34
Senior - BHPian

Beautiful Sheshagiri, the motorcycle is beautiful! Thanks for clarifying about the magneto it is new knowledge to me
Old 24th August 2008, 12:05   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
Some amazing bullets the silver one is really nice... where did you get those seats from? i do have a original smiths if you want it for one of your bullets you may have it i planed to keep it for my Vintage bullet that i am going to but but you really deserve to have that chrono. it does not seem to be one from bullet but is of BSA but would fit the bullet in working condition. and is that Phase 5?
Thanks for the offer Deep, Currently all my bikes have a Smiths speedo but I may be buying a 55 model soon in Bangalore and will come to you.

I got the seat done in Bangalore. If you can wait until November - I can get you one the next time I go to Bangalore. I have an extra one with me.

Only one bike is in Gurgaon right now. The silver one.
Old 24th August 2008, 22:12   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheshagiri View Post
Thanks for the offer Deep, Currently all my bikes have a Smiths speedo but I may be buying a 55 model soon in Bangalore and will come to you.

I got the seat done in Bangalore. If you can wait until November - I can get you one the next time I go to Bangalore. I have an extra one with me.

Only one bike is in Gurgaon right now. The silver one.
Sure sir you are most welcome any time. and thanks for the seat i will certainly be able to wait till November that would not be a problem
Old 25th August 2008, 14:44   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
@Susan and sheshgiri

What is the thing just above the timing gear covers and in between the carb and cylinder of these bikes,never seen this in a Bullet before?
That is the Magneto and the Dynamo, it is also reffered to as the MagDyno.
The Magneto generates and sends a spark to the spark plug. It basically does the job of a distributor and ignition coil.

The round cylinder looking part is the Dynamo, this generates electricity to charge the bettery and for electricals.. This does the job of the alternator.

For race bikes, the dynamo was not fitted as it consumes a fair bit of power.
Old 11th October 2008, 21:59   #38
BHPian

wow sheshagiri. i must admit that you have kept your bullet really well.it does look classy. its not everyday one can see such classics in such a great condition. take care
Old 22nd February 2009, 12:40   #39
BHPian

Need advice and guidance on buying a 1976 Bullet 350 STD

Hello,

Greetings!

My name is Tanveer, and am very passionate about owning and riding the Royal Enfield Bullet. I have been searching for a good machine for quite sometime and have finally narrowed down my search to a 1976 Bullet 350 cc -
1) Second owner
2) Plating, painting works done about 10 months ago. Rebore 1st oversize done about 3 months ago, and engine gearbox works done about 10 months ago.
3) Maintained in an all original state except for the petrol tank which has been replaced by a latest machismo tank and the electrical switch gear on the handle bar.
4) The bike has original single hub break drums in the front and the rear, and old styling front mudguard with the number plate on the front side.
5) The bike is painted black in color however the RC book shows the color as Meroon.
6)The first owner - 75 year old gentleman parted it to the second owner two years ago. The second owner now wants to sell this bike to buy a 1958 magneto bullet.
7) He is quoting Rs40000/ and slightly negotiable. .
8) Two things that could have been done better on this bike are painting which is not really upto the mark, and the machismo tank.

I need your advice and guidance to the determine the true value of this bike. What price is it really worth buying at? And also comment on the condition of the bike as shown in the attached pic.

Looking forward to your advise

Thanks & regards,

Tanveer
Attached Thumbnails
Need Help on buying a Bullet-bullet76.jpg  

Old 27th March 2009, 19:01   #40

Need Help for buying a RE Bullet

Hello everyone,

I am a just turned Bullet fan. I am even planing to buy one. Can anyone guide me to get the best. Also, please specify the prices of the variants.

Regards,
Prajwal
Old 28th March 2009, 00:29   #41
Senior - BHPian

this is a very open ended question. loads could be put down here. try to see whats avaiable on the RE website and then see what you need and you would be able to get all the help.
Old 28th March 2009, 05:23   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwal View Post
Hello everyone,

I am a just turned Bullet fan. I am even planing to buy one. Can anyone guide me to get the best. Also, please specify the prices of the variants.

Regards,
Prajwal
The only advice I can give you is - Do lots and lots of research. Internet is a very valuable source and google is your best friend. Go test ride the various models and try to get a feel of the bike.

Do not take hasty decisions - meaning, don't jump onto a bullet based on a whim.

There are lots of ways to go owning a Bullet - from buying a Std350 old and restoring to buying one new or going in for the newer models(available on the RE website). You will spend close to 1 lakh rupess if you decide to buy new, give or take few thousands.
Old 28th March 2009, 09:29   #43
Senior - BHPian

On the outset, all the bikes share similar chassis' except the Thunderbird UCE. Other than the UCE, there are other options depending on choice.

Gears:
4speed (right side)
5speed (left side)

Engine:
Cast Iron
AVL (Aluminium)

Cosmetics:
std 350 - very basic style like the ones that police have
machismo - buy only if u can take care of all that chrome
electra - different colors (silver is cooool)

All the bikes lack the thump, thats because of emission controls and the long bottle silencer.
Old 28th March 2009, 10:27   #44
BHPian

My 2 cents

Hi,
Hope this helps,
Royal Enfield machismo 500CC is a excellent bike, provided your purchase is purely for passion of it. This would cost you @ 1.3L on road, the torque this beast has is ultimate compared to any bike in India. Mileage is not something to boast on for this 500CC L.B. Bull.

If you want new concept and style UCE TWINSPARK THUNDERBIRD is for you. But be sure to TD is as those handles aren't for everyone!

If this is not for you and you would want something in budget and style both and yes! with classic bullet THUMP, then go for Electra 5s.

I would advise to keep off from STD 350, trust me it is an excellent bike, but same base design and concept going on from years and years, unless you are hell bent on BLACK AND IVORY color don't go for STD 350.Another reason to shear away is for a NEW STD 350 price you can buy, restore and modify an Oldie Enfield. (Unlike any other RE on the Block!)
Again, I hope this helps, if not, it's only 2 cents mate

Regards
Old 30th March 2009, 15:05   #45

Thanks.
But what I am feeling is that either Standard or Electra (one of my friend owns them) would be the best choice for me. I am not so convinced by Thunderbird (don't know why?). Also I am strictly given orders by my parents to buy a new bike and I cannot restore any. What should be the right choice overall??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks