Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2008, 21:30   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodhogan View Post
Jawa made one of the world's most noisy and polluting 2 wheelers.
Quote:
...i own both the rd and the yezdi350...
...i am a great fan of the yezdi350 and i love it for its smoothness and easy handling. its a classic in my books and it attracts as much appreciative glances as the rd does anywhere i take it...
Doesn't make sense man.
Are you not being a hypocrite here?
Old 12th August 2008, 01:16   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
No. It would look YUCK !!!

The monarch had a slightly bigger Yezdi 175 tank, but shape was same. Monarch never came with a Roadking tank.
Please correct me if I am wrong, but the Monarch basically had the same bodywork of the Y350, including the chassis. The Y350 had two kinds of tanks which basically looked the same except the later ones were slightly smaller and the same as that of the Monarch.

Im on a look out for a Monarch/Y350 Chassis.

I own a Y350 that was picked up from the factory. Its in stock condition and has done only 5000 km so far. Also own a spare Y350 engine of which I am planning on building a bike for fairly long distance rides and that is the reason I am looking out for a chassis. The Monarch chassis just needs a slight alteration/add-on to fit this engine in.

Cheers
-pat-
Old 24th September 2008, 10:55   #33
BHPian

couple of shots of my 350 twin
Attached Thumbnails
The Yezdi 350 Thread-10092008.jpg  

The Yezdi 350 Thread-10092008001.jpg  

hollywoodhogan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2008, 11:03   #34
BHPian

Quote:
couple of shots of my 350 twin
Looks awsome surya, very well maintained! I'm also looking for a yezdi in bangalore. Can you help me to find?

cheers
Old 24th September 2008, 11:11   #35
Senior - BHPian

Makes me feel nostalgic. After riding my Yezdi for a few years when I changed over to a more reliable and less thirsty HH SS100 - my first feeling was "oh my God. This is just a bicycle".
Old 14th February 2009, 21:31   #36
BHPian

Yezdi - collector's value questions

Hello,

In my ongoing search for a restored yezdi, I have come across many different models. The early Jawas, the early Yezdis which looked identical to Jawas, later 1980s models as well as the 90s Road Kings.
  1. I find some of the Yezdis/Jawas have a radial head and some don't. What is the significance and collector's value?
  2. I notice the curvy headlights with integrated ODO and handle bar (good) gave way to the later Yamaha RX-like doom with twin instrument & key consoles (bad). Is the curvy unit of the earlier models integrated with the fork assembly? Or can only the headlights and handlebar of the earlier units be transplanted on newer ones?
  3. Are there any other features that are particularly sought after by collectors?
Thanks a bunch!
Old 17th February 2009, 23:29   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
I notice the curvy headlights with integrated ODO and handle bar (good) gave way to the later Yamaha RX-like doom with twin instrument & key consoles (bad).
http://yezdi.com/products.htm
That can get you a few details.
Old 18th February 2009, 00:48   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post
PRODUCTS
That can get you a few details.
I cant believe their website is still up!

Are any mint condition yezdis still available at some obsecure location in India?
Old 16th July 2009, 19:57   #39
octaneoverdose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
In addition, the Y350 was also 157 kg Dry and the RD was 136 kg Dry.

Not to mention the fact that the RD came with twin carbs while the Y350 made do with one Jikov.

Plus a lot of other stuff. 4 gears on the Y350 versus 6 on the RD, for example.

All these are on paper. Ride the two and you will know the difference more than any number of words here.

But like Kuttapayi says we love both bikes therefore please dont turn this into a pointless Yezdi 350 versus RD 350 debate. There really is no scope for a debate with respect to performance - I really dont know what makes you think the two are comparable in acceleration.
pardon me if iam wrong... the rd was 210 or 215 kgs dry weight... veterans please enlighten

Old 16th July 2009, 21:50   #40
BHPian

RD's dry weight is 143kgms as per the Owner's manual
Attached Thumbnails
The Yezdi 350 Thread-81.jpg  

Old 19th July 2009, 18:43   #41
BHPian

beautiful bike

how difficult is it finding spares for the Y350
must be more difficult than the RD350

also where would one find mechs for such a rare bike!!!!
Old 19th July 2009, 19:24   #42
BHPian

Very enlightening thread, I never knew that Yezdi 350 twin even existed, though owned couple of RD350's both LT and HT. Thanks all for sharing such nice piece of info.
Old 19th July 2009, 19:54   #43
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt_mustang View Post
beautiful bike

how difficult is it finding spares for the Y350
must be more difficult than the RD350

also where would one find mechs for such a rare bike!!!!
Mustang,

Spares for Y350 is very difficult to come by. As you know they had a much more smaller production run in India.

Mechanics should not be a problem in places like Bangalore & Mysore. Also technology was quiet simple(premitive) with a single carb only. So no balancing issues etc. Any mechanic competent in Yezdi can tune it. Rest of the body and tech oarts were almost same as yezdi 250/RK 250.

They have sort of become more rarer than RD350

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Old 20th July 2009, 12:45   #44
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
RD 350 - Tezdi Twin Comparison

Hello Guys,

See below the Comparison between the two bikes, This is from an article by Mr. Suresh Guptan published in May 1987.

Mr. Guptan as most of the old timers here will remember was one of the "pioneering" auto journalists in India.

All The Best & ride Safe

Ram
Attached Thumbnails
The Yezdi 350 Thread-rd-jawa-comp0001.jpg  

Old 1st December 2009, 22:32   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
The Y350 twin was a serious contender with the RD350.
I just keyed in Yezdi 350 just for the heck of it, and lo and behold! I was pleasantly surprised that there exists a thread on this planet where I can not only talk about the bikes which I used to own more than 20 yrs ago, but also see their pics, thanks to a nice soul - peace be upon him!)

Well, chaps, I purchased a brand new Y-350 in 1988 in Delhi when I had just been commissioned into the Indian Army, essentially because it was 4 or 5 thousand cheaper. Used it for a couple of years then bought a blue RD 350 (stock) from an officer going abroad. Used it for two years more.

Friends, I don't mince my words in stating that the RD-350 was not just ahead, but way ahead, of the Y-350. Though the Y-350 was a good bike, but it was not good enough for any real comparison with the RD-350.

When it was launched, the original RD was offered by the Japs with a front disc brake which was changed to Drum just for economy and the only negative that I can think of (don't talk about the mileage, do you ever ask a Ferrari or a Porche owner about it!) . RD, as we all know, was an oversquare engine, which gave it its rev happy nature (nearest comparision that I can think of - the original Zen engine), the Y350 was an undersqure low rpm unit given to staid biking, maybe like a Ferrari compared to a big Detroit muscle car.

Try doing wheelies on the Y-350 and you'll snap the chain in all probability, why? compare the thickness of the final drive chains on both the bikes and you'll know why. I've done Ajmer-Delhi (800km round trip) once each on both the bikes. On extended full throttle opreation, which was possible those days, the engine of the Y-350 was prone to seizures, I managed to seize the Y-350 twice. Why? just check out the oil management of both the bikes! the RD has a system of separate oil induction which increases the oil flow tremendously as the rpms rise giving rise to the characteristic cloud of 2T oil smoke when you max it in first and second. And not to forget the six speed close ratio gearbox of the RD with overdrive on 5th and 6th BOTH. No wonder it's called the RD-350, RD= RACE DERIVED. And what about the bright orange display, engine kill switches on both handlebars, twin carbs, Wow man!

To sum up chaps, in my two years with both the bikes, while I could fathom the limits of Y-350, which was not a bad bake at all, but, however, in the case of the RD-350, I found my own limits.

A standing ovation to yamaha for the timeless classic, a consolation prize to Y350 for being good enough to be compared to a classic.

Most Viewed