Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2023, 15:25   #46
BHPian

re: My Valentine, The Honda Activa - a very long term test!

Quote:
This is my daily workhorse and has never let me stranded anywhere. Have taken this on several long trips doing more than 300kms in a day without a hiccup. The FE I get is usually 45-49 in city and the highest achieved on the highway is 63kmpl with a pillion. I always ride in the economy zone hence the high Fuel efficiency. Current Odometer reading stands at 110495kms.
Hey Ashton, I have the same Activa, also as my daily driver in college, but the maximum FE I was able to achieve is around 30 for city/highway combined. What could I do to improve this?
Old 17th March 2023, 11:05   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
That's a great work! Any idea about the cost of restoration?
Thankyou for the kind words CarNerd, I had the scooter restored back in 2019. The disassembly and the paint work was done in my village and costed 6K for all. I spent additional 5k for engine work. The valves were completely gone and hence was at a loss of compression. Even though the bore was in good shape considering the scooter had covered 80,000kms at that time I thought it would be better to change the Block kit along with new camshaft and Valves. So a total of under 12,000rs for restoration with all OEM Parts. Since this is my mom's first vehicle, I'm keeping this in tip top condition as a tribute to her !

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdmainroad View Post
Man, great post and really, really cool you did all this by yourself! You are certainly an inspiration for DIY on our own vehicles brother!
Thankyou thirdmainroad. The feeling of a DIY work cannot be expressed No one will look after your vehicle better than yourself also it is a learning process as well as teaches one to diagnose issues if and when they crop up. I've only added Jupiter Dipper Switch with Pass function, wired the Headlight to DC, added a Engine Kill switch as electrical mods. Visual add-ons are the Clear lenses for all the 4 indicators which are aftermarket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdmainroad View Post
I do feel you haven’t done justice to yourself and post by not posting more pictures of the bike after you completed the work!
Attaching few of the photos
My Valentine, The Honda Activa - a very long term test!-1-2.jpg
My Valentine, The Honda Activa - a very long term test!-export.jpeg

A run at Kudremukh
My Valentine, The Honda Activa - a very long term test!-exportt.jpg
Karkala-Kudremukh Road

My Valentine, The Honda Activa - a very long term test!-exporttt.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio2107 View Post
Hey Ashton, I have the same Activa, also as my daily driver in college, but the maximum FE I was able to achieve is around 30 for city/highway combined. What could I do to improve this?
Get your carbuerrator cleaned and tuned, check the condition of the fuel pipes, check for any vacuum leaks, check airfilter and replace spark plug. You should be good to go. Back in 2018, my scooter was giving a mileage of 35kmpl, after doing all the work mentioned above and using Motul Scooter LE 10W30 Engine the mileage increased immediately

Regards
Ashton Castelino

Last edited by Ashtoncastelino : 17th March 2023 at 11:07.
Ashtoncastelino is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th May 2023, 13:52   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Get your carbuerrator cleaned and tuned, check the condition of the fuel pipes, check for any vacuum leaks, check airfilter and replace spark plug. You should be good to go. Back in 2018, my scooter was giving a mileage of 35kmpl, after doing all the work mentioned above and using Motul Scooter LE 10W30 Engine the mileage increased immediately
Hi Ashton, thanks for the reply. I just did all the things you recommended and have already seen a nice jump in mileage.

I currently have another issue that I was hoping you would be able to help me with. Whenever I accelerate from a standstill and occasionally while moving, the scooter tends to make a whining or squealing noise. I have attached a small video of the noise. When I showed it to my mechanic, he said it could be something to do with the clutch or belt. The scooter just had a clutch service in January so I doubt it can be the clutch. Another thing I noticed is that the noise is amplified when the scooter is low on fuel but almost non existent if the tank is say half full which makes me to believe that it could be a fuel pump issue.

I also see that you are based in Manipal. I am too. Are there any good mechanic shops that you know of that would be apt to diagnose and fix this issue?

Thanks again!

Last edited by scorpio2107 : 9th May 2023 at 13:54. Reason: forgot to quote
Old 16th July 2023, 06:59   #49
BHPian

Well how do I start this one? I've always had a soft spot for scooters in my heart, especially the older Honda Activa's. The first scooter in our family was a 2006 Honda Activa, a black one with grey/white stickers. I have fond memories of that scooter. Travelling to my uncle's place on a friday after school because he'd always buy me Masala Dosa and Kesari bath at New Shanti Sagar in Vijaynagar the next morning or always tagging along to buy groceries because I'd always come home with a packet of Gems and/or Cherries. I had fond memories of that scooter.

So unsurprisingly I was both sad and excited when my dad said that were going to get a new scooter which ended being the then brand new 2013 Vespa 125 SX as my mother loved the retro styling. As much as I was excited for the shiny new bright yellow scooter. We had kept that thing in immaculate condition, always serviced at the dealer we bought it from and always kept clean, I was sad to see that old Activa go after serving us for 7 years and around 65,000km.

Fast forward to late September 2022, I was visiting family and my uncle said he had "something waiting for me outside" I walked outside to find well, our old Activa! He was looking for a cheap used scooter to do grocery runs with and he found the man who bought the scooter from us over 9 years ago selling it. He picked it up and with the help of a mechanic he knew restored it to near showroom condition. The new odometer read 5000km back then as he had already been using it for a few months at that point, the old meter assembly stopped working at around 92-93,000km and the previous owner didn't bother replacing it. It's sitting at 6500km (when I started writing this in February) so it's safe to assume that this scooter has done almost 1 lakh km as it was the previous owners daily use two wheeler.
Attached Thumbnails
My Valentine, The Honda Activa - a very long term test!-pxl_20230707_124014239.long_exposure01.cover.jpg  

Last edited by Aditya : 16th July 2023 at 07:01.
GreasyCarb55 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th July 2023, 07:00   #50
BHPian

Well I kinda forgot about this post so I've finally come back to finish it. If it doesn't reflect in the final post I started writing this on 28th February 2023, it is now 13th July 2023 as I type this second post. (Yes I'm lazy )

A lot of changes but as always the Activa 1G has remained almost trouble free (more on that later). In almost 5 months I've gone from a lost teenager who blindly dropped out of Business School to for the first time in my life being sure about what I want to do. As of now the odo on the Activa 1G sits at almost 8000km. I've travelled 1500km over 4.5 months on the Activa and I've loved every second of it. Except for a few minor issues it been perfect. I had the front brake shoes replaced at Silicon Honda next to RR Nagar metro station about a month into riding the Activa and when the brakes started to fade within a month I gave the Activa to a FNG to replace the brake shoes at both ends and they did a fantastic job. I failed to extend the side stand properly once and that led to a fall when parked and I broke the left hand side brake lever which was also replaced at the aforementioned FNG.

This thing refuses to die and has taken me everywhere, no matter how much I abuse the Activa it just leans back, takes it like a champ and says "That's it?". As a no nonsense city commuter it's fantastic even after all these years.

I know this is a little short for a TeamBHP post but I've got another post I'm working on featuring a bike not many people expect.

I stupidly forgot to backup my photos when switching phones about a month ago so I have maybe 4 photos of the Activa. Here's the best one of the bunch.
Attached Thumbnails
My Valentine, The Honda Activa - a very long term test!-pxl_20230712_073604013.jpg  

GreasyCarb55 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th July 2023, 17:34   #51
BHPian

Re: My Valentine, The Honda Activa - a very long term test!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyCarb55 View Post
Well how do I start this one? I've always had a soft spot for scooters in my heart, especially the older Honda Activa's
You are teasing us all with this pic.

The paint quality on the plastics has made me craving for some more. The FNG seems to have done a great job.

Please share some detailed pics. Would love to drool over it.
2TR-FE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2023, 14:13   #52
BHPian

Re: My Valentine, The Honda Activa - a very long term test!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2TR-FE View Post
You are teasing us all with this pic.

The paint quality on the plastics has made me craving for some more. The FNG seems to have done a great job.

Please share some detailed pics. Would love to drool over it.
i wish I could, I moved to Mumbai about a week ago for college and the scooter is with my parents back in Bangalore. I will post more about the Activa when I go back to visit.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks