Team-BHP - The Yamaha 'RX' Thread (with pics)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   The Yamaha 'RX' Thread (with pics) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/41553-yamaha-rx-thread-pics-35.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by yamdoot (Post 2303859)
Hey thanks. About the stickers, its a matter of personal liking. I wanted a classic Yamaha look and these stickers provide the typical 70's-80s Yamaha theme.

Of course thats personal choice.
How about adding chrome rear mud guards and stock indicators? That gets more classic look.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Boss (Post 2303881)
Of course thats personal choice.
How about adding chrome rear mud guards and stock indicators? That gets more classic look.

mm.. maybe, but the overall look is more squarish, angular type.. thats why the rectangular headlamp, similar shaped indicators, mirrors etc. Basically the RX has more of roundish, angular mixed designs to it so the headlamp, indicators suit better keeping the classic yet modern look. something like a neo-classic. I had actually tried the original lights on it but they looked horribly wrong so i had to revert back to the present look.

Quote:

Originally Posted by yamdoot (Post 2304000)
I had actually tried the original lights on it but they looked horribly wrong so i had to revert back to the present look.

Thats good yamdoot. Have you posted any ownership review? I searched but with least success. Expecting to hear about the performance & efficiencyplease:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Boss (Post 2304099)
Thats good yamdoot. Have you posted any ownership review? I searched but with least success. Expecting to hear about the performance & efficiencyplease:

Im very bad at typing long stories so i'll keep it a bit short .;)

The bikes a 1997 RXG completely stripped and redone 1 year back.
Has the original 4 speed bore running on .25 OS ART piston.
Crank balanced with a DT125 conrod.
RDD CDI with 90/100 kit.
Boyesen dual stage fiber reeds.
ports polished.
RX-K fiber clutch plates.
RX-K 26mm Carb.
UNI Filter.
Gladiator front suspension and disc.
RX-K rear aftermarket shocks.
RXZ fenders.
RXZ meters.
RXZ exhaust.
5sp. Clutch cover with RPM gear installed.
RD 350 handlebar.

Has run about 4100 kms since the rebuild. Performance is great and the initial is like an enduro as it runs on a Shogun front sprocket . So its a lot of fun riding into city traffic. Doesnt have a top end but i dont need it anyways as i rarely go beyond 90 on the city roads. Fuel efficiency is between 28-32 depending on the riding style. I love the front suspension. Way better than the stock RX and the braking is adequate. Runs ONLY on Motul 510/ 800.
Am looking for a decent chamber for a stock setup with a good midrange.:cool:

Quote:

Originally Posted by yamdoot (Post 2304421)
The bikes a 1997 RXG completely stripped and redone 1 year back.
Has the original 4 speed bore running on .25 OS ART piston.
Crank balanced with a DT125 conrod.
RDD CDI with 90/100 kit.
Boyesen dual stage fiber reeds.
ports polished.
RX-K fiber clutch plates.
RX-K 26mm Carb.
UNI Filter.
Gladiator front suspension and disc.
RX-K rear aftermarket shocks.
RXZ fenders.
RXZ meters.
RXZ exhaust.
5sp. Clutch cover with RPM gear installed.
RD 350 handlebar.

Hey man! Expected only the cosmetic upgrades from the snaps. Surprised to hear about these hidden techies:Shockked: in the monster
Congrats on your ride and wish you have a safe and happy miles ahead.:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Boss (Post 2304580)
Hey man! Expected only the cosmetic upgrades from the snaps. Surprised to hear about these hidden techies:Shockked: in the monster
Congrats on your ride and wish you have a safe and happy miles ahead.:)

Thanks you so much Bog Boss!:)

My RXZ is about to touch 40K kms. It is a 1998 model, but is not used on a daily basis, hence the less kms.

Most of the time, I ride it alone (I feel that a bike is best enjoyed alone). But on the rare occasions when I have a pillion, I feel a lack of power in the bike.

I am suspecting the clutch plates. Is 40K a good time to have them replaced ? What are the symptoms of clutch wear ? Will the parts be available at Yamaha A.S.S. ?

Also, I am not satisfied with the braking. The bike has more power than its brakes can handle. I would like to fit disk brakes. Will the Yamaha A.S.S. do this job ?

What would be the approximate price for clutch plate change and disk brake fitment including parts and labour ?

Rohan

Quote:

Originally Posted by rohan_iitr (Post 2346570)
I am suspecting the clutch plates. Is 40K a good time to have them replaced ? What are the symptoms of clutch wear ? Will the parts be available at Yamaha A.S.S. ?

IIRC, RXZ spares are no longer available in Y.A.$.$ unless these parts are shared with RX100/135. You'll be lucky if you can find the parts in any other spare parts shop.
Quote:

Also, I am not satisfied with the braking. The bike has more power than its brakes can handle. I would like to fit disk brakes. Will the Yamaha A.S.S. do this job ?
The OEM Brembo disc brake assembly is no longer available. Try for Gladiator/Pulsar/Apache disc brake unit.
Quote:

What would be the approximate price for clutch plate change and disk brake fitment including parts and labour ?

Rohan
Long ago, the original Brembo disk brake assembly cost around 11k. If you manage to find a new/used unit, the seller might quote astronomical price.

I'm really sorry for the discouraging reply, but this is the fact most of Yamaha 2-S owners face now - scarcity and high price of spare parts.

Thanks,
Jose.

any RXZ sellers in central Kerala contact me pls...:)

Quote:

My RXZ is about to touch 40K kms. It is a 1998 model, but is not used on a daily basis, hence the less kms.

Most of the time, I ride it alone (I feel that a bike is best enjoyed alone). But on the rare occasions when I have a pillion, I feel a lack of power in the bike.

Rohan

clutch plates are easily available at YSC, clutch wear can result in high rpm but no go, not disengaging , lack of pick up etc

Go for the Gladiator disc 8-9 k

clutch& presure plates + spring can cost approx 1000-1500 ?

I am planning a bike trip to Tiruppur / Comibatore first week of June. One of my friends has to attend a wedding there. I am planning to do some spares shopping for my RXZ. Any suggestions as to where I should be looking. I just have a general idea that a lot of the tier 2 and 3 suppliers to motorbike industry are located in and around Coimbatore.

I am making a list of what parts I will be planning to stock / replace. Will post it soon.

Thanks in advance!

Quote:

Rohan

Yamaha factory shop in mumbai sells clutch plates at Rs 112 each.

If u have an rx100 u will need 4 plates. If u have a 135/rxz u will need 5 plates.

Is it ok to use Shell Advance AX5 20W-40 "Premium Mineral 4-Stroke Motorcycle Engine Oil" as the gearbox oil for my Yamaha RXZ ?

Is there any fully synthetic replacement for 20W-40 oil for 2 Stroke gearbox?

How about Shell Advance Ultra fully synthetic 10W-40 SM / MA2 oil?

Here are the list of Shell Motorcycle oils available in India.

Shell Advance - Products - India

Experts please help.

Thanks in Advance! :)

Cheers!
Asif

Quote:

Originally Posted by aa_asif (Post 2443956)
Is it ok to use Shell Advance AX5 20W-40 "Premium Mineral 4-Stroke Motorcycle Engine Oil" as the gearbox oil for my Yamaha RXZ ?

Is there any fully synthetic replacement for 20W-40 oil for 2 Stroke gearbox?

How about Shell Advance Ultra fully synthetic 10W-40 SM / MA2 oil?

Here are the list of Shell Motorcycle oils available in India.

Shell Advance - Products - India

Experts please help.

Thanks in Advance! :)

Cheers!
Asif

I don't think have seen any 20w40 grade SS oil. Right now running on Motul 5100 SS oil.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SriramEfunds (Post 2445826)
Right now running on Motul 5100 SS oil.

Motul website says that 5100 is a 4-Stroke 15W50 oil. Are you sure you're using the same oil?

My RXZ manual asks to fill only 20W40 oil. Any suggestions? Anyone?