Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2010, 22:30   #466
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
I have my brother's RX100 which will undergo renovation next. No change of any sort on this one. It will retain it's black color. That's planned for oct onwards
...and this one is done as well - took a little longer than planned with the painter taking some time off during Diwali. BUT, it was worth the wait. A few things pending (leaking oil from the gauge lens cover, a couple of fused bulbs, new seat etc) and the job would be done. Pics as soon as I can get the time to take them.

Then comes the hard part, the registration process (15 years over in June) .
Old 6th December 2010, 22:59   #467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
But now I find that bike maxes out at 65kmh. It reaches till 85kmh, but this isn't smooth, lots of smoke. I rode this bike till 120kmh, but now max is 85kmh. Most part are from stock only except, both Tyres, Chain, Battery and regular wear and tear parts (clutch cable, break pads).
What is meant by maxes out at 65 Kmph till it reached 85 Kmph?

If you're loosing on top end, then there're several reasons; is this Rx your daily ride? If so, it cannot happen that it looses its top end on one fine morning. It should've been a gradual process.

Lots of smoke means, either too much oil mix or may be decarbonization to be done on silencer. There're several reasons like I said.

What's the color of your plug? Post some pics of plug if possible.

Quote:
I wouldn't want to go to mechanic with problem. If I know the issue, then I can directly tell him what is expected and watch him do the same in-front of me.
Oh!!! no no no no no, don't tell the mechanic about the issue & ask him to do it. Its like micro management; would you like your manager watching your screen while you work? No one likes it. All I was suggesting is, know what's the problem & how to fix it; if possible do it by yourself, otherwise, take it your mechanic & tell him the problem & ask his course of action that's all. This is the way to check the credibility of one's "friendly" mechanic.
Old 7th December 2010, 09:06   #468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
What is meant by maxes out at 65 Kmph till it reached 85 Kmph?

If you're loosing on top end, then there're several reasons; is this Rx your daily ride? If so, it cannot happen that it looses its top end on one fine morning. It should've been a gradual process.
It looses on top end. Beyond 65kmph, it takes it's own time to reach 85kms. It can't go any more speed, vibration is also increases.

Till April 2010, it was my daily run. The symptom existing then itself. But since April this year it has rarely used. After all these rains, I am started using twice week at least. After this I am finding these differences in RX riding characteristics.

However it still has that RX ride feel between 0~60kmph. But beyond that it lost its charm.

Quote:
What's the color of your plug? Post some pics of plug if possible.
I will do it in the evening.

Quote:
Oh!!! no no no no no, don't tell the mechanic about the issue & ask him to do it. Its like micro management; would you like your manager watching your screen while you work? No one likes it. All I was suggesting is, know what's the problem & how to fix it; if possible do it by yourself, otherwise, take it your mechanic & tell him the problem & ask his course of action that's all. This is the way to check the credibility of one's "friendly" mechanic.
Sure, if not watching, at-least I would like to see what he tells and plan to do is may be right. How do I verify that?
Old 7th December 2010, 12:13   #469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Beyond 65kmph, it takes it's own time to reach 85kms. It can't go any more speed, vibration is also increases.
What's your throttle position when you go beyond 65 Kmph? Is it closed to half open position or half open position to full?

Quote:
After all these rains, I am started using twice week at least.
Did you...
- Clean the airfilters
- Clean both jets, needle by blowing air into all the air holes in cabs
- Check the condition of reed valves
- Flow of fuel from fuel tank; btw, do you've a fuel filter?

Quote:
I will do it in the evening.
Yes; its most important.

Quote:
How do I verify that?
You need to learn by making your hands dirty
Old 7th December 2010, 13:57   #470
BHPian

Quote:
What's your throttle position when you go beyond 65 Kmph? Is it closed to half open position or half open position to full?
Throttle between half and full.

Quote:
Did you...
- Clean the airfilters
- Clean both jets, needle by blowing air into all the air holes in cabs
- Check the condition of reed valves
- Flow of fuel from fuel tank; btw, do you've a fuel filter?
Its serviced. I am not sure what mechanic did. I think it does have fuel filter.

Quote:

You need to learn by making your hands dirty
Sure, but I don't have any tools. On the other day I tried to unscrew the plug, I couldn't with factory given tools!
Old 6th January 2011, 11:08   #471
BHPian

Re: The Yamaha 'RX' Thread (with pics)

My bike just got a mid life makeover with Autopal headlight and latest Michelin Sirac street tyres(3.00*18).
Attached Thumbnails
The Yamaha 'RX' Thread (with pics)-siracstreet.jpg  

The Yamaha 'RX' Thread (with pics)-yamaha_rx100_.jpg  

Old 6th January 2011, 15:34   #472
BHPian

supremoo, Suggestion:Please change the seat pattern which usually comes with OEM RX 100.Headlamp and front mudguard is a personal choice and many people modify that,however you can take clue from the pictures of my RX.. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post1977415 Congrats!!
Old 6th January 2011, 15:56   #473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremoo View Post
nd latest Michelin Sirac street tyres(3.00*18).
That's very much a off road oriented tire. I guess you can call it DP (dualpurpose). The front tire is ribbed type with is not a good match for the Sirac. I suggest changing that as well. Otherwise you will have tons of grip from the rear while the front washes out quickly.
Mpower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2011, 19:00   #474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremoo View Post
My bike just got a mid life makeover with Autopal headlight and latest Michelin Sirac street tyres(3.00*18).
supremoo, how is the grip level with Sirac? Also please provide info on how you managed to source this tire as well as how much it cost you.

What is the headlight rating? Is it stock 35/35W?

Thanks,
Jose.
Old 7th January 2011, 01:05   #475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddharthp View Post
supremoo, Suggestion:Please change the seat pattern which usually comes with OEM RX 100.Headlamp and front mudguard is a personal choice and many people modify that,however you can take clue from the pictures of my RX.. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post1977415 Congrats!!
Thanks for the suggestions mate; the originals are definitely more classy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
That's very much a off road oriented tire. I guess you can call it DP (dualpurpose). The front tire is ribbed type with is not a good match for the Sirac. I suggest changing that as well. Otherwise you will have tons of grip from the rear while the front washes out quickly.
Your points are thought provoking indeed, will keep your suggestions in mind at the next tyre change

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
supremoo, how is the grip level with Sirac? Also please provide info on how you managed to source this tire as well as how much it cost you.

What is the headlight rating? Is it stock 35/35W?

Thanks,
Jose.
The grip level of Michelin sirac on dirt track/slippery trail is good; on tarmac the tyres have reduced my braking distance considerably. However I am yet to use the tyre in wet conditions. sirac model was not yet available in Kerala at the time of my purchase so was sourced it from Bangalore. The cost was around [/b][FONT=&quot]`[/FONT][b]1850/- (including tube.)

My intention was to change the dome as well as to put a higher wattage halogen bulb (90/100) but on testing I found the 35/35 brighter than the 90/100. The headlamp is a H4 unit so I could not reuse my stock bulb. I am also using the shogun RR unit, and now the brightness and spread is so commendable that I have shelved the plans for a 90/100 wiring kit.

The next on my wish list is the RDD digital cdi.

Moderator Note: POST EDITED. Do not post complete sentences in BOLD for no particular reason. Thanks

Last edited by Mpower : 7th January 2011 at 16:19.
Old 23rd January 2011, 23:37   #476
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys:

I have been toying with the idea of getting an RX and restoring. Just found a single 1999 Single owner RX135 4-Speed. My preference is for the RX135 5 Speed but as many of you know it is very hard to find a good one.

I keep reading that it is difficult to find parts for the RX135 5-Speed? Is this true? If so, Are we talking about engine parts or gearbox parts? So, is it better to buy a 4-Speed 135 and convert to 5 Speed?
Old 23rd January 2011, 23:59   #477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Guys:

I have been toying with the idea of getting an RX and restoring. Just found a single 1999 Single owner RX135 4-Speed. My preference is for the RX135 5 Speed but as many of you know it is very hard to find a good one.

I keep reading that it is difficult to find parts for the RX135 5-Speed? Is this true? If so, Are we talking about engine parts or gearbox parts? So, is it better to buy a 4-Speed 135 and convert to 5 Speed?
Sir, I welcome your idea to purchase RX and restoring it. RX is a magic and can only be felt with the twist of the throttle.

To answer your question, if 4 or 5 speed should be bought. If the idea is to enjoy the pure pleasure of RX, I would suggest to buy 4 speed. Sourcing of 4 speed parts is difficult but not impossible. Still some where across the country, spares can be sourced.

Conversion from 4 speed to 5 speed can be done. In today's RX spares situation, there is no bore piston kits available for RX100, RX135 4/5speed variants in Yamaha showrooms across India. You might be able to get some old stocks from the spares dealers, however, sold at unbelievable prices.

For your idea on restoration process:

If you are aware of the bike's condition and the parts to be replaced, please start the hunt for the spares in the market to see if you can get hold of them. Buy only Yamaha genuine spares from authorised showrooms/ dealers. The reason is, OE lasts long.
After the bike is bought, kindly determine a list of spares to be replaced. I would tell you it is not one stop purchase, for getting all the spares, might even take months, however, they are worth every paise invested. ONLY after purchasing the requirement, start the restoration process.
Old 24th January 2011, 11:51   #478
BHPian

+1

finding parts is very difficult unless you are prepared t0 pay 150% premium. This is applicable for all RX series as of now. Get a bike and start restoration as Sriram said. You even find reasonably good used spares easily ( not everyone will like this)

all the best

I am at the verge of a RXZ restoration, it ivery rewarding i must say
Old 24th January 2011, 19:32   #479
BHPian

Hi,

I heard that you can get piston block kits in kuala lumpur-malaysia.I will be in Malaysia on 16th Feb .Any pointers if I can buy one there.Fortunately,I have some 12 hrs in my hand so that I can have a good look at some of these places.

Let me know.
Old 24th January 2011, 20:40   #480
BHPian

stay away from Malaya RX parts as those bikes run a diffrent bore X stroke etc..

even the 4Y2 blocks are diffrent compared to our Indian bores, 4Y2 runs very low compression

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks