Team-BHP - The Yamaha 'RX' Thread (with pics)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   The Yamaha 'RX' Thread (with pics) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/41553-yamaha-rx-thread-pics-31.html)

Could anyone help me with the best gearbox oil & grade for Yamaha RXZ. Iam planning to change it by myself from now onwards?please:

Quote:

Originally Posted by aa_asif (Post 2084004)
Could anyone help me with the best gearbox oil & grade for Yamaha RXZ. Iam planning to change it by myself from now onwards?please:

Hey there,

As per my RXZ 5-speed owners manual, it is Multigrade 20W40. Guess that should be OK with the 4-speed too

Any of the major brands should do OK.

hi iam not a very active member in Tbhp, but i do keep going through the RX threads and some jeep threads often. I recently restored my 2001 RX135 5 speed. it is running 0.5 oversize stock block, fully painted, chassis strengthened, all engine parts and chassis parts replaced with brand new O.E. all the work was done by Anthony of DAM motors bangalore. Here are some pictures of the bike. the last picture was taken before restoration.

it would be very helpfull if somebody can post the workshop and parts manual of RX135 5 speed. i tried the earlier links posted by others but they have all expired.

@baddy, sweet sweet sweet bike. Do put the chrome beading for the seats.

5 speeds are the best from the RX series. How did you manage to replace the mechanical parts? AFAIK, spare parts for 5 speeds are non-existent.

Thanks,
Jose.

Quote:

Originally Posted by josejoseph (Post 2084060)
@baddy, sweet sweet sweet bike. Do put the chrome beading for the seats.

5 speeds are the best from the RX series. How did you manage to replace the mechanical parts? AFAIK, spare parts for 5 speeds are non-existent.

Thanks,
Jose.

thanks for the nice words jose. I have got the original yamaha seats, but they have not been installed, will be doing so in a days time. and yeah thanks to my tuner for the parts.

@Baddy - Beautiful; absolutely looking fresh as if its just out of showroom after PDI. Why's the last one looking shabby? Was that before restoration or just another Rx? You're in Chennai aren't you? How about a Rx meet? I can bring my Rx100 too :)

And if you don't mind, did you carry out the entire restoration by yourself like me or had it done through a mechanic in a garage?

Hey nice bike baddy, and nice paint job too. The last pic is the bike before restoration right. You are one of the lucky few to have a 5-speed

Aargee where is your bike pics.

Quote:

Originally Posted by alok_balsekar (Post 2084040)
Hey there,

As per my RXZ 5-speed owners manual, it is Multigrade 20W40. Guess that should be OK with the 4-speed too

Any of the major brands should do OK.

I changed the gearbox oil 2 days back. The Oil shop guy recommended Shell Helix 20W-50.
Next is the clutch overhaul. The whole assembly is costing around Rs.1300. Planning to get the work done sometime time next month.:thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by aa_asif (Post 2105804)
I changed the gearbox oil 2 days back. The Oil shop guy recommended Shell Helix 20W-50.

That's the one to be stayed away, atleast I've been told to stay away. Reaon being, 20W-50 basically is for car & harder clutches that makes Rx's friction plates to be worn out soon. But personally, I love Shell products.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aa_asif (Post 2105804)
Next is the clutch overhaul. The whole assembly is costing around Rs.1300. Planning to get the work done sometime time next month.:thumbs up

Rs 1300? What're the parts apart from friction plates?

Quote:

Originally Posted by aargee (Post 2084112)
@Baddy - Beautiful; absolutely looking fresh as if its just out of showroom after PDI. Why's the last one looking shabby? Was that before restoration or just another Rx? You're in Chennai aren't you? How about a Rx meet? I can bring my Rx100 too :)

And if you don't mind, did you carry out the entire restoration by yourself like me or had it done through a mechanic in a garage?

@aargee: thanks, sorry for the late reply havent cheked this thread for a long time. iam from chennai, studying here in bangalore. initially i thought of doing the complete restoration myself, but due to the lack of tools, space and time here i had to get it done from a garage n i usually dont trust my bikes with mechanics. Antony from DAM motors is one person whom i found trustful and really talented at his work, so the complete restoration was carried out at his place in bangalore.
Iam planning to drop the bike back in my chennai home once i finish running in the bike. so probably we can have a meet up then.

:)
twisty from the blessed land of why?zag!
skin color: original - black
experience: 70000 odd km (mostly local beach road/city drives)
The Yamaha 'RX' Thread (with pics)-dsc03010.jpg

I am getting an entirely new engine for the junk'd RX I got myself.

Shall arrive in 15-20 days.

What color scheme would you guys recommend? I am swinging between blue and silver.

What mirrors would look appropriate?

I am putting a disc-brake too, hope the ones on Gladiator would be a fit along with its shock absorbers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheel (Post 2158673)
What color scheme would you guys recommend? I am swinging between blue and silver.

Silver with blue lines!!!

Quote:

What mirrors would look appropriate?

Ofcourse the OE Alfa Toyo!!!

Quote:

I am putting a disc-brake too, hope the ones on Gladiator would be a fit along with its shock absorbers.

Yes, discussed to death; Pulsar's also fits direct.

I am having problem with my Rx 135, 1999 model. I am very happy with the bike. But now I find that bike maxes out at 65kmh. It reaches till 85kmh, but this isn't smooth, lots of smoke. I rode this bike till 120kmh, but now max is 85kmh. Most part are from stock only except, both Tyres, Chain, Battery and regular wear and tear parts (clutch cable, break pads).

What could be issue?

As aargee says, I wouldn't want to go to mechanic with problem. If I know the issue, then I can directly tell him what is expected and watch him do the same in-front of me.

Any help would be appreciated.