Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2010, 12:44   #421
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post

I'll probably go with the Amaron. Currently, I'm using a capacitor kind battery. Charges in 15 seconds and loses charge just as fast.
Talking about sealed batteries, the BT that I have has not required a single top-up or anything else ever since I bought it.... which is maybe over 1.5 years. So its almost like zero maintenance, with the added benefit of being able to rescue the battery in case of over voltage. You won't have that option with Amaron or Bosch.
Old 6th September 2010, 13:50   #422
BHPian

2002 RX135 4 Speed - To keep or sell?

I have a 4-Speed 2002 RX 135 that has run about 28k km.

I used it often for the first couple of years and then reduced drastically once I got my car. Off late I ride the bike once in a fortnight and get the oil changed and vehicle checked by my neighborhood mechanic once in three months.

When I rode the bike, I enjoyed it. These days I enjoy it for the few KM I ride on weekends.

So here's the question I wanted to ask - do I keep the vehicle or sell it? A gent I met last week is interested in the bike and so is my mechanic. I have no idea what the bike is worth but keep it around so I can enjoy the two stroke beauty once in a while.

Would you suggest keeping it or selling it? And if it is selling, what do I quote?

PS: The bike is stock with absolutely no work other than a replaced mirror and crash guard.
Attached Thumbnails
The Yamaha 'RX' Thread (with pics)-bike-1.jpg  

The Yamaha 'RX' Thread (with pics)-bike-2.jpg  

The Yamaha 'RX' Thread (with pics)-bike-3.jpg  

Old 6th September 2010, 15:46   #423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik_S View Post
I used it often for the first couple of years and then reduced drastically once I got my car. Off late I ride the bike once in a fortnight and get the oil changed and vehicle checked by my neighborhood mechanic once in three months.
You change the gear oil once every 3 months?? And that too when you hardly use the bike? Dude, 2 stroke oil lasts very long... easily around 5/6 k km or a year! Save oil and your money dude.

As for keeping or selling, I don't see how anybody other than you can decide that. All I'd say is if you use it and can maintain it well then keep it. Else its better off with someone who can...
Old 6th September 2010, 16:35   #424
BHPian

This is my ride. Completely restored from frame paint job, Engine still in stock, custom paint, head light yezdi, Altered muffler, engine guard and so on
Attached Thumbnails
The Yamaha 'RX' Thread (with pics)-dsc00057.jpg  

Old 6th September 2010, 17:32   #425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
You change the gear oil once every 3 months?? And that too when you hardly use the bike? Dude, 2 stroke oil lasts very long... easily around 5/6 k km or a year! Save oil and your money dude.

As for keeping or selling, I don't see how anybody other than you can decide that. All I'd say is if you use it and can maintain it well then keep it. Else its better off with someone who can...
Guess I got the order wrong there I get the vehicle checked once in three months and get the oil changed less frequently, the checkup is really to ensure the battery is okay. Sometimes I leave the battery overnight for him to recharge it, if it is low.

The keeping or selling part is the difficult question for me to answer. I am diligent enough to get the bike checked frequently and hate my vehicles having any niggles.

Oh well! Its a question of the head vs the heart.
Old 6th September 2010, 17:54   #426
BHPian

Spend a couple of thousands for a cosmetic makeover (chrome plate etc). That will either
1. motivate you to spend more time with this baby or
2. get you slightly more in case you do decide to sell it off.
Old 6th September 2010, 23:30   #427
BHPian

Well if you are not using it, it is better to sell it to someone who will take care of this baby, but then you will start mising it.

If you are keeping it, ride it, otherwise sell..
Old 7th September 2010, 08:06   #428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visaster View Post
This is my ride. Completely restored from frame paint job, Engine still in stock, custom paint, head light yezdi, Altered muffler, engine guard and so on
Could you shed some light on this pls? I like to understand what this muffler altering is about. Tks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipz View Post
Well if you are not using it, it is better to sell it to someone who will take care of this baby, but then you will start mising it.
If you are keeping it, ride it, otherwise sell..
+10000...; very well said. If you cannot maintain, sell it, no use carrying a burden.
Old 7th September 2010, 17:24   #429
BHPian

@aargee, @siddharthp, @raccoon (and others I might have missed inadvertently) :

Thank you for your comments on the battery topic. The mechanic assembling my bike also suggested exide but conceded that those batteries leak more than others. In fact, a worn out patch on the chain cover (which I noticed but was not curious about) was attributed to battery drip. Now that the parts have come back polished and painted, I definitely do not want to risk any drip - and the hunt continues...

On the restoration front, all plated and painted parts were collected and given to the mechanic. The bike is half built - awaiting the tank and side panels that I hope to get in couple of days. Saturday this week seems to be the D day. Can't wait !!
Old 8th September 2010, 12:02   #430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post

Thank you for your comments on the battery topic. The mechanic assembling my bike also suggested exide but conceded that those batteries leak more than others. In fact, a worn out patch on the chain cover (which I noticed but was not curious about) was attributed to battery drip. Now that the parts have come back polished and painted, I definitely do not want to risk any drip - and the hunt continues...
I talked to one exide fellow yesterday and told him about this topic ..told him that exide batteries are getting 'good beating' on the leakage issue.
He told me that only if the acid which mechanic fills in the battery is 'MAXIMUM' mark then the gases which developed during chemical reaction cause bubbles and then overflow the acid(Even if your pipe is in place!!).
So,'LEVEL' is the key.

But anyways,I won't advise you to take chances
siddharthp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2010, 12:11   #431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
Now that the parts have come back polished and painted, I definitely do not want to risk any drip - and the hunt continues...
Quote:
Originally Posted by siddharthp View Post
Sorry about missing the reply y'day. Sid's points are correct here.

What ideally you should be doing is, check the water level in the battery periodically, say once a month or so & top up to the maximum level. The distilled water should cost about Rs 15-20 a litre. Stock it up OR take it to the battery dealer from whom you've bought once a month to get this topped up & pay him once in a while. Trust me, your battery will never leak corroding the parts.
Old 8th September 2010, 18:57   #432
BHPian

Help Needed!!

Guys a big help needed!

Help me with a good mechanic or service center for my RXZ in Bangalore preferably around Indira Nagar. I need to get her Clutch replaced and Con-Set overhauled.
Old 8th September 2010, 19:03   #433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa_asif View Post
Guys a big help needed!

Help me with a good mechanic or service center for my RXZ in Bangalore preferably around Indira Nagar. I need to get her Clutch replaced and Con-Set overhauled.
Just do it yourself; its damn easy job. Never trust Yamaha A.S.S or any mechanic in this world unless they work under your direct supervision.

Just follow the instructions on workshop manual & its easy. Let me know if you need any help.
Old 9th September 2010, 23:32   #434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddharthp View Post
I talked to one exide fellow yesterday and told him about this topic ..told him that exide batteries are getting 'good beating' on the leakage issue.
He told me that only if the acid which mechanic fills in the battery is 'MAXIMUM' mark then the gases which developed during chemical reaction cause bubbles and then overflow the acid(Even if your pipe is in place!!).
So,'LEVEL' is the key.

He is talking ABSOLUTE rubbish. I mean Exides and Amcos leak no matter what you do. I am as fussy as they come and the electrolyte has NEVER been filled even slightly above the Max. mark in any of my batteries. Breather tube is always attached.

And btw, even if the electrolyte is above max mark, I have noted that Base Terminal does not leak. Whats more, as I mentioned - no need to check levels so often with BT (unless maybe if you have charging issues). My BT is about 1.5 years old, and is still not in need of a top-up.

Exide/Amco is a huge risk and not value for money, period. (they don't last anywhere as the others).
Old 10th September 2010, 08:56   #435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa_asif View Post
You could visit Orion Motors (Yamaha Dealer and Service Centre) behind forum mall (opp KFC) in Koramangala.

The service advisor who deals with RX bikes is quite experienced. He is the only grey-haired service advisor I have seen in my life.

Get it done on a weekday. Weekends are very crowded, bikes (especially old RX bikes) don't get enough personal attention on weekends.

Rohan

Most Viewed