Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2008, 22:13   #1
BHPian

Road Trip Mumbai to Mahabaleshwar

Are bikes allowed from mumbai to mahabaleshwar???????

I going on HONDA Unicorn 150cc
brother going on Pulsar 180cc
friends going on karizma and apache 160cc

Please help which is the best route and how are the road contitions for 2 wheelers
Old 9th April 2008, 22:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

Of course, bikes are allowed.

2 routes:

Route 1: Bombay-Kalamboli-Panvel (take NH17)-Pen-Mahad-Pholadpur (turn left, off NH17)-Mahabaleshwar, around 200 kms

Route 2: Bombay-Kalamboli-Panvel (take NH4, bikes not allowed on Pune expressway)-Lonavla-Pune-Shirwal-Khambatki Ghat (turn off NH4 a little after ghat ends)-Wai-Panchgani-Mahabaleswar, around 275 kms

Both roads are good. NH4 has the advantage of being 4-laned except for the last 45 kms.

NH17 is 2-lane road all the way. Has very little traffic by day.

Have been from Bombay to Mahabaleswar by both routes. Have taken 4.5 hours on Route 1 in a 100cc bike, am sure you can do better.
Old 10th April 2008, 00:07   #3
BHPian

Thanks man any good restaurants or Dhabas to stop by?????
Old 10th April 2008, 22:35   #4
BHPian

On NH4, You can stop at Sunny Da Dhaba or Toni's though Toni is said to be not the same anymore. In Pune, There are some good ones around Hinjewadi near Convergys.

Beyond Pune, There should be some nice places which Puneites could help you with better.
Old 11th April 2008, 12:42   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I don't mean to dampen anyones spirits, but please think twice before taking bikes out on the highway. I seriously dont recommend it. Riding is still okay within the city, but the highway is a BIG no-no for two wheelers.

Just my opinion for whatever its worth.

Last edited by GTO : 11th April 2008 at 12:43.
Old 11th April 2008, 12:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hi DM,

All the bikes are very well capable of doing this distance without any issues.

You have got many eating places in Lonavla & after as given2 fly has mentioned.

Just make sure you keep drinking lots of water as its getting very hot these days here & you could get dehydrated.

Where are you staring from Mumbai?
Old 11th April 2008, 13:10   #7
BHPian

we are starting up from jogeshwari at 4.30 to 5.00am in morning on 24th April

i really appreciate your concern about taking bikes out on highway however we have done long trips before like lonawala Khandala
these were all one day return trips where our bikes were contiounsly runnning for about 250km ie going and coming back from lonawala

i will be servicing my bike on tuesday and will be putting Motul 5100 15-50w semi synthetic oil cause i know its summer time and engine heats up when we put Motul 20w-40w 3000 4tplus oil

Last edited by Technocrat : 11th April 2008 at 13:37. Reason: plesase use edit if posting within 15 minutes
Old 11th April 2008, 14:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

Mumbai to Mahabaleshwar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Of course, bikes are allowed.

2 routes:

Route 1: Bombay-Kalamboli-Panvel (take NH17)-Pen-Mahad-Pholadpur (turn left, off NH17)-Mahabaleshwar, around 200 kms

Route 2: Bombay-Kalamboli-Panvel (take NH4, bikes not allowed on Pune expressway)-Lonavla-Pune-Shirwal-Khambatki Ghat (turn off NH4 a little after ghat ends)-Wai-Panchgani-Mahabaleswar, around 275 kms

Both roads are good. NH4 has the advantage of being 4-laned except for the last 45 kms.

NH17 is 2-lane road all the way. Has very little traffic by day.

Have been from Bombay to Mahabaleswar by both routes. Have taken 4.5 hours on Route 1 in a 100cc bike, am sure you can do better.

Hello DM,

I have been to M'war twice in my Suzuki Fiero and also about 25 times in my car!

As GTO mentioned, it is not at all safe to ride on bikes in National Highways, because of the heavy truck and bus traffic. Believe me, those drivers will run you off the road mecilessly, if you cross their path! I am telling you this from my personal experience So be careful, if you still decide to go ahead!

I would advise you to take the second route suggested by Mr. Kumar. I have observed that Mr. Kumar is a Living- encyclopedia on routes and travel queries!!!

NH 17 is narrow and you will have a tough time with the Truck and Sumo drivers there also. So avoid it completely.

Take the old Mumbai-Pune highway, you can take your first break in Lonavla. Continue driving on that road, till you reach Pune. There is a new bypass to Satara after Baner. There is a big board pointing to your right. The biggest landmark is an over-bridge there. Take that bridge to your right and you will end up in the new bypass road and you can avoid going via Katraj ghat. Ask for directions, if you have any doubt.

Once you touch the Bangalore highway, after the bypass, keep going straight. DO NOT TAKE ANY TURNS. There is a Natraj hotel to your left after some distance. You can stop there for your second break!

Then you will come across Khambatki ghat. It is a one way road, so you can drive fearlessly. After this ghat ends, drive straight, after some distance, there is an overbridge on the road and the right turn to Wai and Mahabaleshwar, is under the bridge. So keep reading all the sign boards. Take the right turn under the bridge and the next village is Wai. Take a left turn to Mahabaleshwar near the petrol pump in Wai.

One word of caution. The Parsani ghat leading to Panchgani is a very good road. But be very careful. There will be lots of heavy vehicles descending. Always blow your horn at every turn and drive slow.

Road condition right up to Mahabaleshwar is very good. You can take your third break In Panchgani near Mapro Garden. There is a good restaurant opposite to it.

Start early in the morning to avoid the mid-day sun as much as possible. Keep drinking lots of water and keep spare tubes, puncture repair kits and valves for all bikes. It is better not to fill fuel from the highway. Fill up from Mumbai itself.

Remember to post your experiences in Travelouges section.
Old 11th April 2008, 14:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

To add to what Chevy Lover said, it is 5 kms from the end of Khambatki Ghat to what is known as the Mahabaleshwar Phata. A flyover was under construction at this junction sometime ago (is it complete?), and you turn right off NH4 here.
Old 11th April 2008, 14:53   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
To add to what Chevy Lover said, it is 5 kms from the end of Khambatki Ghat to what is known as the Mahabaleshwar Phata. A flyover was under construction at this junction sometime ago (is it complete?), and you turn right off NH4 here.

@ Mr. Kumar, Work is still in progress!

I had gone to M'war last month too!!! I think it will take another year to finish the flyover!!
Old 13th January 2015, 02:39   #11
BHPian

Re: Road Trip Mumbai to Mahabaleshwar

We're a group of 7 riding to Mahabaleshwar. We plan to camp somewhere and have our own tents and other equipment. The plan is to reach on the 24th of Jan. What spots would you guys suggest to set up camp? A google maps link to the location would be very helpful.
Old 13th January 2015, 15:28   #12
Senior - BHPian

Re: Road Trip Mumbai to Mahabaleshwar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post
@ Mr. Kumar, Work is still in progress!

I had gone to M'war last month too!!! I think it will take another year to finish the flyover!!
I am digressing here, but it's rather amazing that this flyover is still NOT done. It's still under construction, though they have one side of flyover done, which ferries traffic either ways.

I couldn't believe that, the original post was in 2008 and we are in 2015 now. How time flies, except for those who construct our national highways.
RX135 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks