Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2010, 21:18   #1366
Senior - BHPian

What is the ideal tyre pressure on the Access? Service guys, manual and tyre shop all say different pressure rating.
Old 5th October 2010, 22:05   #1367
BHPian

Sanjay - The tyre wear is quite normal. Ive run 32 K kms & im ready for my 3rd rear tire ! Mail4ajo - I suggest you stick with whatever the manual says for safety. Based on your preference of the ride quality, you may reduce it down a little too !
Old 8th October 2010, 15:59   #1368
Senior - BHPian

Need info on Kinetic style carb setting

Guys, Need some urgent help on this. Sorry for a long post. Adding a bit of background which might help.

I have a July/2001 Kinetic Style (wifey's actually). It is a 2S, 72CC motor, has done about 7000 kms so far. All stock. Does not run much, used only for local errands once or twice a month etc. It was running very good till few months back when a friend, new in town, borrowed her before he acquired his own scooter and got it "serviced" from a local mechanic.

Ever since, it would not idle/accelerate properly- carb was mis-configured(?). I opened it couple of weeks back and noticed intake manifold gasket (solid plastic kind) cracked, air intake hose pipe also cracked (due to aging), air filter foam crumbling etc, one of the screw holding carb to the intake manifold has thread slipped- most probably leading to air leak (lean mixture?) and hence it was not idling.

I used some black tape to cover up the cracks- till I buy new parts. I didn't keep track of the idle/air screw setting and somehow can't seem to restore it back. Now the scooter is not starting even with 10-20 kicks. Previously it used to start in 2-3 kicks, but, would not idle.

Can some one tell me what would be the optimum idle (air/fuel) screw turns from fully closed position to begin with? I can tinker with Bullet's carb- it is so much simple and setting the air screw to about 1.5 turns gets the job done. Here, I noticed that the idle fuel mixture is on the fuel inlet side (unlike Bullet's Micarb), hence, closing it would be leaning while opening it will be enriching the fuel mix. I tried all settings from 0 - 2.5 turns, but in vain. Hesitant to take it to a mechanic as most of them are worse than me and will experiment at the cost of my wallet :(

EDIT:
My diagnosis so far:

1) Spark is great
2) Compression also ok (feels like it was when new)
3) Engine fires after ~20 or so vigorous kicking (too rich mix?) but does not accelerate cleanly
4) Fuel delivery should be fine ( I cleaned the carb myself)

tia,

-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 8th October 2010 at 16:07. Reason: typo in title
Old 8th October 2010, 16:22   #1369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
@Sanjay, depends on riding style & road conditions I guess. Mine is 16K clocked & the tires are looking bang new. Just a little tire polish & then you'll not believe it has clocked 16K & its fit to run for another 5K kms atleast.

IMO, anything above 20K kms is good enough for Activa; but again riding style does matters because I brake very less & I'm more of throttle control riding person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Any scooter tyre can be expected to last half as much as that of a Motorbike, due to difference in wheel size. IMO anything between 15 - 20K for the scooter will be the norm.

The tyre should be replaced when 10% of the tread life is still left for any vehicle, and especially for scooters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Taking into account the potholed roads of Mumbai this monsoon & for that matter every monsoon, I guess the tyre change will be sooner that 18K.

It also depends a lot on the riding technique but the conditions of road also play an imp part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan666 View Post
My neice's was good for nearly 30K on the rear but most of it was on good roads and it was ridden single most of the time without jack rabbit starts and late braking ! All that too counts !
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Sanjay - The tyre wear is quite normal. Ive run 32 K kms & im ready for my 3rd rear tire ! Mail4ajo - I suggest you stick with whatever the manual says for safety. Based on your preference of the ride quality, you may reduce it down a little too !
Thanks, guys.
Also, just found out that a new tyre for the Activa costs INR 800 per tyre.
Old 8th October 2010, 18:11   #1370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
What is the ideal tyre pressure on the Access? Service guys, manual and tyre shop all say different pressure rating.
I fill 20 in the front and 30 in the back---the manual recommends 18 in the front, methinks. I fill up air once every two weeks.
Old 10th October 2010, 10:58   #1371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
...Need some urgent help on this... would not idle/accelerate properly- carb was mis-configured...
UPDATE:
Fixed it myself. Running great again .

See the pic below, showing what I tinkered with. Prime cause was air leak in inlet and probably auto-fuel cock misbehaving. Carb was flooded with too much fuel. Needed to drain the bowl.

The Gearless Scooter Thread-kienticcarbside.jpg

-BJ
Old 26th October 2010, 23:59   #1372
BANNED

Bought a red colour flyte today . Initially I was sceptical about buying a KH or a Mahindra product . I had driven Acess and Activa earlier as 2 of my friends own both the scooters .

The Flyte is refreshing . I never expected the stability on a scooter and this scooter just made me feel comfortable .
The engine is smooth and the auto clutch seems to kick in a little bit earlier than the acess , so the 30-60 km/hr acceleration seems to be a bit slow , but the top end is too good .
When I went to the dealership , I just made sure of the scooter ability by going over pot holes and speed breakers and the ride quality is phenomenal .

There is no B**s in your mouth effect when the scooter rides over a speed breaker or pot hole , which I felt on the activa and acess .
The scooter costed me Rs 43,000 on road and It comes almost 12,000 lesser than the activa or acess ( counting the extra fittings like rear view , side stand which are there by default ) .

The only back draw are the brakes at the moment . May be I will get them sorted out in the first service .
Old 27th October 2010, 05:47   #1373
BHPian

Hi ,
Back home still have a kinetic honda zx running great with 80k in the odometer.
Its never given any problem so far ,touch wood. presently given it to my cousin as hes just using the vehicle to commute to college and back.
I get it completely serviced every 6 months and costs me Rs 1000/- maximum and gives a decent mileage of 40kms per litre of Shell unleaded petrol.

thanks
MSVG
Old 29th October 2010, 09:33   #1374
BHPian

@ greatmana2000

Congrats on your purchase. We've had a flyte since feb 2009 just before mahindra took over kinetic and touch wood, we have faced no major probs with it.. the only issues have been the comparitively low mileage and brakes... u hit the brakes and the bike gives you a jerk stop
Old 29th October 2010, 21:42   #1375
BANNED

@avinash ,

The brakes cable release is held in tension by a heavy spring . The spring is the cause of fault . I will let you know how the brakes are after the springs are removed . Since it is a new scooter , I am just going to let a few days pass and enjoy my ride .

Another thing is for tall people the knees do not hit the handle bar which happens to frequently in activa and acess .
Old 30th October 2010, 10:48   #1376
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvg View Post
Hi ,
Back home still have a kinetic honda zx running great with 80k in the odometer.
Its never given any problem so far ,touch wood. presently given it to my cousin as hes just using the vehicle to commute to college and back.
I get it completely serviced every 6 months and costs me Rs 1000/- maximum and gives a decent mileage of 40kms per litre of Shell unleaded petrol.

thanks
MSVG
We have one too for the past 8 years and it has 37K on the odo. We resisted the urge to sell it when we got an Access. We are happy with it, but we never got more than 35 kmpl.
I find the ride of the Kinetic Honda more comfortable than the Access, despite the latter having telescopic shocks at the front.
The Access scores in all other aspects like FE, GC, speed, pick-up, lighting, etc.
Old 2nd November 2010, 13:44   #1377
BHPian

My friend wants to buy a scooter for his wife which he can also use. Please let me know your suggestions. The basic requirements are:

1. Easy driveability and maneuverability for both of them. His Wife is 5' whereas he is 5'10".
2. Good mileage, ok style and low maintenance.
3. Auto-transmission and self-start
4. Good resale value

He is considered the following -

Honda Dio/Activa/Aviator
TVS Vego
Suzuki Access 125
Mahindra Rodeo
Old 3rd November 2010, 13:06   #1378
BHPian

@DesertKing - without any doubt, they should go for the Wego. That should be their first choice followed by the activa/ access
Old 11th November 2010, 13:54   #1379
BHPian

I had the exactly same requirements. zeroed in on TVS wego. Got Delivery in just 2 days from Kubera Motors, Hosur road, Bangalore.

Go for Wego..!
Old 12th November 2010, 13:32   #1380
BHPian

All,

Just got delivery of a White Wego for my wife, which I can also ride every once in a while to run errands.

The dealer asked me if I wanted to get the accessories, and one of the accessory was the body guards (That wired things that runs across the vehicle body, not sure what its called). He says its a must, and I think it ruins the looks.

Is it really worth going for? does it really protect the vehicle body if it falls down or something?

Please let me know, Thanks.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks