Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2015, 19:09   #3526
BHPian

Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

I need help deciding a scooter for my dad based on the following points. I would do my research on my own but I don't have the time and the decision needs to be taken immediately.

1)Comfort
2)Value for money!
3)Long term reliability
4)fuel economy doesn't really matter since everything is same these days.
5)Looks don't matter.

P.S: is there anything with ~55k on road price in bangalore? any lower would be helpful too.

I checked out the activa, turns out, it is 65k+ and it seems a bit high.
Old 18th November 2015, 20:31   #3527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by createrkid View Post
I need help deciding a scooter for my dad based on the following points. I would do my research on my own but I don't have the time and the decision needs to be taken immediately.

1)Comfort
2)Value for money!
3)Long term reliability
4)fuel economy doesn't really matter since everything is same these days.
5)Looks don't matter.

P.S: is there anything with ~55k on road price in bangalore? any lower would be helpful too.

I checked out the activa, turns out, it is 65k+ and it seems a bit high.
See this post: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3781763
Old 19th November 2015, 19:15   #3528
Senior - BHPian

Team, how much do you think a 2010 Suzuki Access 125 with a genuine 7500 kms on the odo fetch me in resale? An approx rate will be help. Thanks in advance.
Old 20th November 2015, 12:20   #3529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Team, how much do you think a 2010 Suzuki Access 125 with a genuine 7500 kms on the odo fetch me in resale? An approx rate will be help. Thanks in advance.
It should sell for Rs 25-30K or you can even ask for Rs 35K since it is a low mileage scooter.
Old 24th November 2015, 12:22   #3530
BHPian

Something weird with my access 125.

The rear tyre was punctured this saturday and after the work was done I got the tyres swapped (back to front and vice versa) since they have done 23 K till now. The ride has changed a lot. The handle has become hard and initially almost got locked during any sudden turns. Earlier I used to get a juddering noise during pick ups but that isn't there anymore.

Any idea what has happened ?
Old 24th November 2015, 18:55   #3531
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to buy one more Scooter (already having a TVS Wego) and my likings are TVS Jupiter or Hero Maestro Edge.

Yesterday, I have visited the Hero Showroom. They advised that Maestro Edge still to come here (Not even available in their head office), but they have the Hero Duet readily available.

The Duet looks nice (almost the shape of Activa) with lot of new features like Integrated Breaking system, side stand indicator, Pass light, USB 3.0 Charging port, Boot Light, Digital Analog combo console, External fuel filler, Low fuel indicator, Service due indicator, Immobilizer (Anti-Theft System), Full metal Body etc. The price they quoted Rs.63,000 on the road with 5 year warranty.

Engine power: 110.9 cc, 8.31 bhp @8000Rpm, 8.30 NM@6500 RPM
Dimension: 1830x726x1139mm
Ground Clearance : 155

Tubeless Tyres 90/100-10-53J (both front and rear)

I like the scooter but not happy with 10'' tyre size because both Wego and Jupiter comes with 12'' tyres which I prefer. However Jupiter do not have above features, especially the Integrated breaking system and Side stand indicator. The price (OTR) Rs.64,000 with 3 year warranty.
(Even new WEgo comes with combo breaking system)

Is that 12'' or 10'' tyre size going to make much of a difference in actual performance?? (Hero guy says not going to make huge difference whereas TVS guy says 12" tyre size will give more grip, comfort etc....

Can anyone please give suggessions on this?
Old 24th November 2015, 19:54   #3532
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post

TVS Jupiter purchased in Oct 2015; it feels best to drive. So far completed two tankfulls, FE 45 and 50 respectively. Smoothest to drive. Adequate space on the footboard. Feels light to drive if I drive alone. If I have a pillion, the ride feels heavy on the steering and in this aspect, I find Pleasure better. The efforts at the dealership; professionalism and competence of the sales advisor was best at TVS. Bought from Shelar TVS.

Did not opt for extended warrantee and zero depreciation insurance.
Hi Rahul,

It is a very good choice. However, I do see that you have not fitted the much needed front and side guards. If Nana peth is on your mind, then do not hesitate to PM me, Can guide you to the shop that supplies guards to all the shops there. Will help you save $$$.
Old 24th November 2015, 22:42   #3533
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunnabhaiMBBS View Post
Hi Rahul,

It is a very good choice. However, I do see that you have not fitted the much needed front and side guards. If Nana peth is on your mind, then do not hesitate to PM me, Can guide you to the shop that supplies guards to all the shops there. Will help you save $$$.
Thanks MunnabhaiMBBS,
I am planning to get floormat and seatcover. I will send you a PM.

I avoided the side guard and front guard. In my Duro, the front mudguard cracked over a period of 2 years. The cracks originated at the four bolts which fit the mudguard on the handlebar / fork. My analysis was that the plastic flimsy mudguard cracked due to inertia of the front guard.

Also, the side guards in my earlier 3 wheelers were not really useful for avoiding the scratches. Many things on the road may scratch the side panels avoiding the side guards. In many two wheelers, the side guards hinder the foot rest for the pillion.

So, considering these factors, I did not go for the side guards and the front guard. Also, my daughter, who is the primary user of the Jupiter, likes it without guards.

Thanks again.
Old 25th November 2015, 11:36   #3534
Distinguished - BHPian

I was going through the Vespa website and the new SXL/VXL series of scooters.
We own the now discontinued S 125 and VX 125 models at home.
Although there are many differences, One difference that caught my eye today was the switches and buttons on the handlebar.
The picture taken from the Vespa website shows a new 'MODE' button on the right side.
I couldn't find information about it anywhere. What exactly is this mode? is it just the clock adjustment button or something more?

The Gearless Scooter Thread-feature4.jpg

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 25th November 2015 at 11:37.
Old 25th November 2015, 12:59   #3535
Senior - BHPian

Changed from MRF (4 year old) to CEAT GRIPP on my Access a couple of weeks ago.
There is a huge improvement in the ride quality. Small undulations are not felt at all.
The grip levels are also pretty nice. Had a good test on wet and flooded roads a couple of days ago.
Old 27th November 2015, 16:46   #3536

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
Is that 12'' or 10'' tyre size going to make much of a difference in actual performance?? (Hero guy says not going to make huge difference whereas TVS guy says 12" tyre size will give more grip, comfort etc....

Having migrated from an Activa to a Jupiter, I can vouch for the improved ride quality, though one must consider the difference in suspension specifications of the two scooters. The Jupiter definitely has a more compliant ride, which is good for my back. Also, if you hit an unexpected bump on a curve (with the scooter leaning into the curve), the vehicle maintains its composure much better than the Activa. This is a result of not only softer suspension, but also bigger wheels. So, it's also safer to have bigger wheels. This, I think, is what the TVS guys were referring to as "better grip", not to mention the improved grip due to a larger foot-print of the larger tyre.
Old 27th November 2015, 16:54   #3537
BANNED

Quote:
I like the scooter but not happy with 10'' tyre size because both Wego and Jupiter comes with 12'' tyres which I prefer.

If performance is what you seek, there is no better scooter out there than the Yamaha Ray IMO. It is by no means powerful, but the balance it offers is unparalleled and I found it to be the only sporty scooter simply loved the handling dynamics. Ofcourse if features and power are what you're searching for then it may not be your best bet.
Old 27th November 2015, 18:31   #3538
Senior - BHPian

Thanks 'car_da_mum' and 'IshaanIan'. Yes, I agree to your views. But if you can see almost all the Scooters available now are comes with only 10 inch tyres (I think only Tvs Jupiter, Wego, and Mahindra Gusto comes with 12'' inch tyres?).

I already have a Wego which I have been using since last 7 months and thinking whether should go for one more TVS?? Also, I prefer to go for latest models with advances features than opt for older model (Jupiter came in the market sometime end 2013?). But, no doubt still Jupiter is a good scooter with good ride comfort.

I have compared the differences between Jupiter and Hero duet and only 12'' Tyres and alloy wheels are the improved feature in Jupiter comparing Hero duet which comes with Immobilizer (one key can do ignition, opening of petrol lid, opening of seat etc), Side Stand Indicator, USB Charger, Digital Analog combo console, Integrated breaking(CBS) etc and still the price is almost same of Jupiter. Besides, Hero duet comes with full Metal body..

Yamaha Ray is also a good scooter, but I definitely need a scooter with external fuel filling feature which I think missing in Ray?

Still thinking.....
nairrk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2015, 12:28   #3539
Senior - BHPian

Been in Hero motors Showroom and obtained their quote for Hero Duet VX:

Rs
52,650 - Showroom price of the scooter
4,372 - Tax
1,874 - Insurance
2,050 - Registration & handling charges
350 - Delivery Charges
1,200 - Standard fittings (Number plate, Side stand,Ladies foot rest)
175 - Good life insurance ( from Hero)
-------
62,670 - Total

The showroom is a sub-dealer hence charging Rs.350 as delivery charges.
Rs.175 good life insurance from Hero Motors for Rs.1 Lakh towards personal accident benefit. They also claim that incase we recommend any friends/relatives to buy hero scooters/bikes, then we will get some bonus points and against that some gift/s will be given etc etc..

Any comments??
Old 30th November 2015, 17:22   #3540
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any comments??
The specifications and the price seems like a good bet for a new launch. The only missing thing between this and the Wego you own seems to be the bigger wheels. Apart from that the Duet seems to have everything else and more. So you can surely consider going for the Duet. Since it comes with telescopic suspension, the ride comfort should be better than Maestro, Activa 3G etc. Under seat storage if it is a consideration also seems to be good (better than Yamaha Ray at least). So net-net it should be a good buy. How is hero service in your place?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks