Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2015, 12:17   #3466
BHPian

Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
3M should be oil additive. Another useless and yet expensive add on that you have been fleeced with. I thought only car manufacturers did such tricks and now this service center has taken some lessons from them. Oil topup is ridiculous when you have already been charged for changing oil entirely.
Yes, they have for sure taken lessons from car service centers. I feel, to unsuspecting customers, they might even bill for turbo overhaul
He was pointing at 3M oil item and was mentioning its a gear box / clutch oil. Now I have my doubts.

Another thing I noticed that they are consistently billing in the 2k region for most. Then there was a TVS XL super, which was given an estimate of 1600 odd!

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Stuff like secondary filter cleaning, clutch greasing, tappet adjustment and so on are covered under paid service charges. Since you say battery was weak, I am excluding it. Usually I pay 300 for service labour, 80 for consumables(which I am again letting go)which comes to around 400-420 including taxes. Out of all the services done so far, I have changed the spark plug and both primary and secondary air filter elements once proactively, which together has cost around 500 IIRC till now.

In fact, once my dio got its handlebar aligned properly for no extra cost after it had been misaligned due to a small hit. These guys charged 150 from you.
Agree on this. If you notice, the only parts they have changed are the oils and brake shoes. Labor charges comes to 1400!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Absurd, clutch overhaul at 6K km, rip off - please do not let this pass, do follow up with TVS and have them admit the service centre's fraud in this case.
On a lighter note, seems like they've done some kind of "hallmarking" that's usually done with gold hence the high priced service! (CLUTCH OVERHALLING!)
Since there was no response to my emails, I had a call to their call center. They have promised to revert in 24 hours. I had a tough time convincing him why I am raising the complaint.
Old 21st August 2015, 12:21   #3467
BHPian

Can anybody through some light on tyres being offered with Activa 125 currently?
Secondly like cars, do tyre dealers offer buy back of scooter tyres(just out of showroom) as well?
Old 24th August 2015, 11:38   #3468
Senior - BHPian

Last weekend the speedo cable in my Honda Activa got snapped at the console end and there was no feedback on the speeds I was driving at. When the cable was being removed, found the snapping due to rust. Was surprised to see rusting near to the console, how could water have ingressed when the cable is actually quite nicely enclosed in a strong sleeve which runs till the front tyre. The cable replacement costed Rs 150/- and Rs 50 as replacement charges. The cable was replaced at 12k+ kms on the odo and after 5 yrs in use.
Old 24th August 2015, 12:54   #3469
BHPian

Guys! Any updates about the TVS Jupiter ZX variant? Is it coming with disc brake or just a sticker and color update?
I think Matte Blue with Beige panel is coming but not so sure about disc brake being incorporated.
Old 24th August 2015, 16:02   #3470
Senior - BHPian

What resale price can I expect for a well maintained 2010 Suzuki Access run for about 8000kms?
Old 24th August 2015, 16:54   #3471
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
Guys! Any updates about the TVS Jupiter ZX variant? Is it coming with disc brake or just a sticker and color update?
I think Matte Blue with Beige panel is coming but not so sure about disc brake being incorporated.
Yes it should come with a disc brake according to the TVS showroom near my place. Heard the launch is near.
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 15:11   #3472
BHPian

After browsing threads and other portals for some time i had specific plan for a test ride of Activa 125 and TVS Jupiter on past sunday. However due to wife's choice we added Yamaha's Fascino to the list and sharing here my observation:

1) First stop was Yamaha. No doubt with Fascino Yamaha has tried really hard to match/beat upto the standards of Vespa in terms of styling. I found the foot board to be a little narrow compared to others next in the line. One thing this scooter really beats other is the initial pickup(they have infact put up this fact on their brochure, which i read after going back home). Mid range is ok.

2) Second stop was TVS. Jupiter was good at almost everything but one. TVS has definitely put in a lot of thought in this scooter. My only grouse are the tyres and braking. Some how braking didn't inspire confidence at all. Apart from this Jupiter ticks in most of the things i was looking for.

3) Honda was the last stop and somehow the most time consuming and lethargic in attending. After delayed response when we asked for test ride the salesman came back after almost 15 mins with a brand new scooter. (Somehow back in my mind i was worried on the fact that even if we finalize this how am i going to ensure that i don't get such scooter which has been used for test ride). Performance till 15-20 is slow when compared to other two scooters, however engine in mid range and top feels more relaxed that above two. Best part were the zapper tyres and disk which provided a very good confidence on hard braking. I am definitely scared with the attitude of honda. God knows will this be in after sales.

Again i am stuck at Jupiter vs Activa 125 DX. Even if i change the tyres on Jupiter to zapper i doubt the brakes.

Quote:
RavSam, on my recent visit I did see the matte blue Jupiter at TVS Noida. The panels were same black and without disc brakes. Even i am desperately seeking disc brake variant Jupiter.

Last edited by saurabh041086 : 26th August 2015 at 15:13.
saurabh041086 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 18:24   #3473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh041086 View Post
2) Second stop was TVS. Jupiter was good at almost everything but one. TVS has definitely put in a lot of thought in this scooter. My only grouse are the tyres and braking. Some how braking didn't inspire confidence at all. Apart from this Jupiter ticks in most of the things i was looking for.
Saurabh - I have a Jupiter that is over a year old now. Don't clock much kms as it is generally used for very short trips. Dad has an Activa and have ridden both extensively. The breaks of the Jupiter are much better compared to the Activa even with a pillion on board. Yes, a disk break would definitely improve breaking, in which case you could look at the Wego as an alternate.
ksmrsm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 18:36   #3474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmrsm View Post
Saurabh - I have a Jupiter that is over a year old now. Don't clock much kms as it is generally used for very short trips. Dad has an Activa and have ridden both extensively. The breaks of the Jupiter are much better compared to the Activa even with a pillion on board. Yes, a disk break would definitely improve breaking, in which case you could look at the Wego as an alternate.
ksmrsm thanks for the inputs. No offense but i didn't find Wego to my personal taste.
I know comparing Jupiter to Activa 125 DX is not exactly an apple to apple comparison but taking affordability, value for money and many other aspects i have narrowed down to these two and will stick to this. I still think if TVS comes up with a disk brake Jupiter any time soon i will happily rush to showroom without any doubts.
Old 27th August 2015, 14:32   #3475
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
ksmrsm thanks for the inputs. No offense but i didn't find Wego to my personal taste.
I know comparing Jupiter to Activa 125 DX is not exactly an apple to apple comparison but taking affordability, value for money and many other aspects i have narrowed down to these two and will stick to this. I still think if TVS comes up with a disk brake Jupiter any time soon i will happily rush to showroom without any doubts.
Did you consider the Aviator at all ?
Few months ago when I was looking to buy a scooter, Aviator was not even a contender for me initially, but ended up buying it and very happy
My ownership thread is here
*Aviator has a Disc brake variant as well.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2015, 17:35   #3476
BHPian

Quote:
Did you consider the Aviator at all ?
Few months ago when I was looking to buy a scooter, Aviator was not even a contender for me initially, but ended up buying it and very happy
My ownership thread is here
*Aviator has a Disc brake variant as well.
Thanks NPV. Looking at pictures online i somehow felt aviator to be a bit smaller(not to demean it in any way but i have to keep my 6ft height in mind) in size compared to activa 125. Moreover activa 125 has everything that aviator offers. How do you compare both in terms of size.

But after going through your thread i have decided to have a test ride of aviator as well.
Old 27th August 2015, 17:46   #3477
BHPian

Quote:
Looking at pictures online i somehow felt aviator to be a bit smaller(not to demean it in any way but i have to keep my 6ft height in mind) in size compared to activa 125.

But after going through your thread i have decided to have a test ride of aviator as well.
My friend at 6-feet & 2-inches finds his Aviator comfortable!
So, worth a look!
RavSam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2015, 20:16   #3478
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks NPV. Looking at pictures online i somehow felt aviator to be a bit smaller(not to demean it in any way but i have to keep my 6ft height in mind) in size compared to activa 125. Moreover activa 125 has everything that aviator offers. How do you compare both in terms of size.

Aviator is taller than the Activa and will be very comfortable for you take a test drive and check it out.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2015, 20:28   #3479
BHPian

Quote:
My friend at 6-feet & 2-inches finds his Aviator comfortable!
So, worth a look!
Quote:
Aviator is taller than the Activa and will be very comfortable for you take a test drive and check it out.
Thanks Guys. I think i will try Aviator as well now.
Old 27th August 2015, 22:36   #3480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Guys. I think i will try Aviator as well now.
Yes. I've ridden my cousins aviator and it is definitely better than Activa! I'm 6ft and its just cramped in Activa and more so if the optional glove box is fitted.

You could check out Vespa too if you like it. They might even have some offers going on.

Last edited by blackwasp : 27th August 2015 at 22:39.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks