Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2015, 18:29   #3436
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Can someone with Activa HET confirm that there is no oil filter in this scooter?
Old 11th August 2015, 18:46   #3437
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Can someone with Activa HET confirm that there is no oil filter in this scooter?
There is no filter but there's a strainer located to the left of the engine block. I usually remove this every alternate oil change and usually don't find any impurity, except during run in when I found some metal powder.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2015, 11:56   #3438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh041086 View Post
Guys, I am contemplating on purchasing a scooter.

Little about me and my requirement:
My stint with scooters has been very limited. So far the only scooter i have used is my dad's Vespa Select and friends Chetak 4S for riding upto tuitions and learning purpose. At heart I am a biker. I have owned a Discover 125, HH Hunk and Duke 200. Since my trip to Kerala in 2013 where we (with my wife) rented a scooter for riding around for 2 days i have been attracted to this all grown up class of scooters. I am saying grown up because this has come a long way from my limited experience with scooter. They can be actually fun at times.
As of today i have sold my Duke 200 and entirely dependent on Punto. What i am hating is pulling it out for every short trip to nearby grocery/market/nearest metro station.
What i am looking for is something that will be suitable for my 6ft height and lean body frame. Good braking is my top priority. Please suggest the comfortable travel range with these scooters. I plan to ride to office occasionaly(12kms one way). Thanks in advance
Based on inputs provided by all my fellow bhpians and other reviews i have narrowed down to TVS Jupiter so far and will test ride one this weekend.

What TVS is offering is definitely more than the competitors in terms of value for money. However here are few things i seek help on.

1) With bikes we can easily see the level of fuel by just peeping into the tank from top. Same goes for earlier generation scooters like Select and Chetak. What is the case with these new gen scooters. Specially with Jupiter since the fuel lid is not parallel to the ground. With 5 ltrs of tank the general practice will be to filling it to the brim. What if the fuel spills. Will it overflow from the fuel inlet socket(if this is the case it can be tolerated). If the overflow is from a pipe leading to somewhere else internally then the release point of that extra fuel is definitely a point of concern. Pardon me if i am thinking too much about this.
2) Will TVS prove to be reliable in longterm.
3) Braking capabilities is one of my top priority. Although a Disc brake variant is in the pipeline from TVS but as a secondary option can the TVS tyres being offered be changed to some other better quality tyres. What brands offer tyres in this size.
4) What are these mandatory accessories? this is the most confusing part as different dealers quote different prices.

Last edited by saurabh041086 : 13th August 2015 at 12:19.
Old 13th August 2015, 12:58   #3439
BHPian

Quote:
Based on inputs provided by all my fellow bhpians and other reviews i have narrowed down to TVS Jupiter so far and will test ride one this weekend.

What TVS is offering is definitely more than the competitors in terms of value for money. However here are few things i seek help on.

1) With bikes we can easily see the level of fuel by just peeping into the tank from top. Same goes for earlier generation scooters like Select and Chetak. What is the case with these new gen scooters. Specially with Jupiter since the fuel lid is not parallel to the ground. With 5 ltrs of tank the general practice will be to filling it to the brim. What if the fuel spills. Will it overflow from the fuel inlet socket(if this is the case it can be tolerated). If the overflow is from a pipe leading to somewhere else internally then the release point of that extra fuel is definitely a point of concern. Pardon me if i am thinking too much about this.
3) Braking capabilities is one of my top priority. Although a Disc brake variant is in the pipeline from TVS but as a secondary option can the TVS tyres being offered be changed to some other better quality tyres. What brands offer tyres in this size.
4) What are these mandatory accessories? this is the most confusing part as different dealers quote different prices.
Just did a NEFT transfer to pick up a TVS Jupiter Silver at Bangalore Bridgestone Agency .Absolutely no discount or freebies .

Onroad Price Rs 63000.00

Delivery Monday .Will update after delivery.
shivkumar19 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2015, 13:21   #3440
BHPian

Friends,
I have CBZ Xtreme 2012 model just done around 17000kms.
Would like to exchange it for Activa or Jupiter. Any advice on this.

Also, I heard that the body panels and not that strong in Jupiter compared to Activa.
Is this true? How is the build quality of Jupiter as I hear rattling of panels in short usage time from relative circle.
Old 14th August 2015, 12:48   #3441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstallion76 View Post
Friends,
I have CBZ Xtreme 2012 model just done around 17000kms.
Would like to exchange it for Activa or Jupiter. Any advice on this.

Also, I heard that the body panels and not that strong in Jupiter compared to Activa.
Is this true? How is the build quality of Jupiter as I hear rattling of panels in short usage time from relative circle.
The Jupiter is a very good scooter indeed!
Also do check the Yamaha Fascino. It somehow looks bad in pictures but in flesh it looks eye-catchingly beautiful (I saw one in Cyan in person).

Activa, I wouldn't recommend unless it's the 125cc one because of the age-old front suspension!

Pick from: Wego, Jupiter, Activa 125/Aviator 110 and the Fascino!
Old 14th August 2015, 19:21   #3442
BHPian

Considering one for my Father. So, was checking out Jupiter as it tops almost in all comparisons.
Quote:
1) With bikes we can easily see the level of fuel by just peeping into the tank from top. Same goes for earlier generation scooters like Select and Chetak. What is the case with these new gen scooters. Specially with Jupiter since the fuel lid is not parallel to the ground.
There is a Fuel Gauge in the front console and low fuel warning light and you will hear a chime if am not wrong similar to the side stand indicator on sound in Scooty. Though am not sure of the overflow setup, Fuel spills shouldn't be a concern.
Quote:
It is as reliable as you maintain it. Have a Scooty and a Hero Honda bike for more than 10 years at home. It was almost on par. Still depending on who uses it & how its used but it can take abuse.
Quote:
Have not driven one. But heard its ok. Though a disc brake if offered would have been great. Some say the combi brake in Honda is good and some say its useless. Have not checked out for myself.
Is there an upgrade coming up with Disc brake?
Not too sure about the tyres but MRF should have an option. Its a TVS tubeless tyre that comes in the vehicle. So, replace with a similar one.
Quote:
As per their website, Mandatory item for Jupiter is only a Lady Pillion Foot Rest. Anything else is a dealer push.http://www.tvsjupiter.com/price.aspx

Difference in ex-showroom to on-road price is around 10-12k in TN due to VAT and what not Around 63K-65K on-road; Couldn't digest going for it as it used to be the price of some 150 CC bikes not long before.

For someone considering Jupiter on bike loan, an offer is listed in their site:
Can pay thru' most major bank credit cards @ 7% I.R. Zero down payment. Check that out.

Last edited by ganesc : 14th August 2015 at 19:26.
Old 14th August 2015, 22:48   #3443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganesc View Post
Considering one for my Father. So, was checking out Jupiter as it tops almost in all comparisons.

There is a Fuel Gauge in the front console and low fuel warning light and you will hear a chime if am not wrong similar to the side stand indicator on sound in Scooty. Though am not sure of the overflow setup, Fuel spills shouldn't be a concern.
I wasn't aware of this chime. Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Have not driven one. But heard its ok. Though a disc brake if offered would have been great. Some say the combi brake in Honda is good and some say its useless. Have not checked out for myself.
Is there an upgrade coming up with Disc brake?
I just picked up this disc brake variant thing from internet while searching.

Quote:
Not too sure about the tyres but MRF should have an option. Its a TVS tubeless tyre that comes in the vehicle. So, replace with a similar one.
Voila i found one option:
http://www.mrftyres.com/products/tyres/front-zapper-fg

Not sure how good it is when compared to tvs tyres and do dealers offer buy back of stock tyres in the same way they do for 4 wheelers.

Quote:

Difference in ex-showroom to on-road price is around 10-12k in TN due to VAT and what not Around 63K-65K on-road; Couldn't digest going for it as it used to be the price of some 150 CC bikes not long before.
it is. I can very well recall I bought my HH Hunk in 2008 for 60.5K and 59k is the on road price quote i got for jupiter today.
Old 15th August 2015, 19:12   #3444
BHPian

Have any one noticed a strange sound from Activa?
A typical continuous churrrrrrrrrrrr sound appear while de-accelerating.
This sound only appear at the time of de-accelerating. Say the rider is on 60 KMPH, noticed a red signal/ speed breaker ahead just leave the accelerator. Speed will gradually reduce from 60 to 30/20 KMPH. Try to notice the sound between this 60KMPH to 30 KMPH time.

This sound is better audible from passenger seat and even better audible from other vehicle running alongside.

Most of HET models having this sound (trouble actualy).
Old 16th August 2015, 11:01   #3445
BHPian

Is there any Tyre, stock bulb upgrade possible on activa 125 ? Don't see any readily available information.
Old 16th August 2015, 22:23   #3446
BHPian

A month ago, I got myself the Vespa Elegante pearl white color. What a great time I'm having riding this iconic scooter. Commuting is now a breeze. The Vespa dealer says this is the limited edition, only 3000 scooters made.

What I liked was the split seat and the riding position.

What I did not like was in this Elegante model there is no luggage hook to hang any shopping bags. ( I got a SS hook made.)

Otherwise everything else on this scooter is just perfect IMO. In Pune it's freedom to travel and park a two wheeler in spite of the pollution.

On booking the dealership A K Scooters gave delivery in 4 hours. The whole Vespa experience is like owning a premium product, with top notch quality from paint job to performance.
Got a helmet free as well as some metal guards etc.

First service 700 km/ one month is paid (Rs 270 only for the oil).

I have been traveling to work and all over town and it's made life so much simpler.

The dealer says Vespa is soon going to launch the 150cc version with a few upgrades. Also some 200 to 300 cc bikes are in the pipeline. Looks like Vespa is getting ready for the competition.

Heard that another European manufacturer Puegot is coming to India with their range of premium scooters. Now this is going to be very exciting for the enthusiasts.

Pearl white color
The Gearless Scooter Thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1439741708.054943.jpg

Split seats
The Gearless Scooter Thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1439741775.472523.jpg

Limited edition
The Gearless Scooter Thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1439741803.886183.jpg

Half face helmet
The Gearless Scooter Thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1439741848.490679.jpg

Simple instrument cluster
The Gearless Scooter Thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1439742102.489088.jpg

Done 500 + km and counting.
Ride safe guys.👍
Happysmiles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2015, 08:17   #3447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happysmiles View Post
A month ago, I got myself the Vespa Elegante pearl white color. What a great time I'm having riding this iconic scooter. Commuting is now a breeze. The Vespa dealer says this is the limited edition, only 3000 scooters made.

Done 500 + km and counting.
Ride safe guys.👍
Congratulations! You have got an excellent product there. Happy riding
Old 17th August 2015, 11:11   #3448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happysmiles View Post

What I liked was the split seat and the riding position.

What I did not like was in this Elegante model there is no luggage hook to hang any shopping bags. ( I got a SS hook made.)

Otherwise everything else on this scooter is just perfect IMO. In Pune it's freedom to travel and park a two wheeler in spite of the pollution.

On booking the dealership A K Scooters gave delivery in 4 hours. The whole Vespa experience is like owning a premium product, with top notch quality from paint job to performance.
Got a helmet free as well as some metal guards etc.

First service 700 km/ one month is paid (Rs 270 only for the oil).

I have been traveling to work and all over town and it's made life so much simpler.

The dealer says Vespa is soon going to launch the 150cc version with a few upgrades. Also some 200 to 300 cc bikes are in the pipeline. Looks like Vespa is getting ready for the competition.

Heard that another European manufacturer Puegot is coming to India with their range of premium scooters. Now this is going to be very exciting for the enthusiasts.
Ride safe guys.👍
That's a beauty. Congratulations on your ride Happysmiles. Wish you many many more happy smiles with this.
Old 17th August 2015, 19:46   #3449
BHPian

A question on safety of gearless scooter body/chassis:

The context: I was thinking of buying one of these new gearless scooters for the local market run. But last week, one of my neighbors scooter (Honda Dio) had a minor accident and the scooter was almost totalled. I went alongwith to the repair shop, was surprised to see that the main chassis of the scooter is just a small metal frame for the engine housing/seat part and the entire base and front is made up of a single curved pipe. In the accident, this pipe had bent, which meant the chassis has to be replaced. The bulk of the body consists of bolted fiberglass and plastic panels and a lot of these panels had shattered. This was a minor fall where the rider had luckily managed to jump/slide off with few bruises.

My question, therefore, is how safe is the scooter with a single metal pipe in the front and bottom chassis and rest of body being fiber/plastic?

Note: My last two scooters were an 80's Vespa and 90's Kinetic, both were sturdy metal bodies that had their fair share of minor hits/falls resulting in simple paint scrapes in metal body and never had to go in for any dent repair.

Mods/others: If there is any other thread/post on scooter safety, kindly point me to it or move this post.

Thanks in advance!
Old 18th August 2015, 10:25   #3450
BHPian

How much does a wego generally cost to service? I dropped my friends wego which I am using currently to kubera tvs today and got an estimate of Rs 2300! Which is at par with b segment cars. Vehicle is about 4 years old but only run 6200 km.

This is the estimate as I can remember.
Battery charging 100
Brake shoe. 400 both.
Clutch greasing 300
Tappet. 100
Service 35
Oil 400 change
Consumables 100 odd
Secondary filter clean 85.

What I see are labor charges for almost everything. What does the service charge cover? Only washing and oil change labor??
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks