Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2014, 10:14   #2941
BHPian

Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar View Post
Planning to purchase a vespa S and install HID's.

Any insights regarding the costs involved in doing this? Will the warranty get void?
I just checked this.
http://www.vespa.in/pdf/vespa%20features%20new.pdf
It says, 3 phase alternator which means it can generate more current than the single phase equivalent. If the company fitment is a 35W H4, you can safely swap it with a 55/60W H4 which wont be of any trouble to you.
ilangop is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 15:06   #2942
Senior - BHPian

TVS Jupiter Update?

It is about a year since TVS Jupiter was launched in the market. Any news of upgrades coming (like disc brake and digital console meter) any time soon/before Diwali?

tia,
-BJ
Old 10th September 2014, 21:37   #2943
Distinguished - BHPian

Just booked a TVS Wego disc brake version in Volcano Red color. Since the vehicle is not available it has to be ordered from factory. Approximately 2 weeks waiting time.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2014, 09:01   #2944
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Just booked a TVS Wego disc brake version in Volcano Red color. Since the vehicle is not available it has to be ordered from factory. Approximately 2 weeks waiting time.
HI Sagar, Congratulations.
Could you please reply with the price difference between the standard Wego & the disc brake Wego. Is there any other extra feature in the disc brake version?
-Ilango
Old 11th September 2014, 09:32   #2945
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
HI Sagar, Congratulations.
Could you please reply with the price difference between the standard Wego & the disc brake Wego. Is there any other extra feature in the disc brake version?
-Ilango
The price difference is 4K between Drum and Disk version.

No extra features. Rather the front glove box is missing on disk brake version. But the braking is far better which is the main reason why i went for disk brake.The Drum brake were totally in adequate
sagarpadaki is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2014, 13:53   #2946
Senior - BHPian

On Monday, I spent a few hours cleaning my Access which is now a shade above 16000KM.

The underbody was really bad due to the rains and going through water logged areas several times. I spent quite a bit of time to clean the wheels, the rear shockers and spring and the other 'engine' areas.

Now, after the cleaning, I have not been hearing the 'klich' sound while accelerating from low speeds. Also the overall noise has vanished. At speeds of 50 kmph, I can hear nothing except some wind noise through the helmet.

I have just ordered the belt to be replaced and now I am wondering if I should get the scooter opened up. It rides just like it was when delivered 3.5 years ago.
Old 17th September 2014, 15:54   #2947
Senior - BHPian

Hello bhpians, what are the three best scooters based on just soft suspension / ride quality. I live in areas having very bad roads.

Thanks in advance!
Old 17th September 2014, 16:06   #2948
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Hello bhpians, what are the three best scooters based on just soft suspension / ride quality. I live in areas having very bad roads.
Any scooter with front telescopic suspensions will serve the purpose. Based on that the top three IMHO would be
1) Honda Activa 125
2) TVS Wego
3) TVS Jupiter.

If Activa isnt appealing then Aviator from Honda can be looked into.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2014, 17:01   #2949
BHPian

Vespa launched the Elegante limited edition of their VX trim.

http://www.zigwheels.com/news-featur...n-india/19742/

Two new colors, split seats. Looks lovely.
Old 17th September 2014, 17:40   #2950
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Soft suspension - Well generally most scooters with telescopic suspension are better for the rider as his hands/shoulders will not get tired very soon due to the bad roads.
You can test ride TVS Jupiter/Wego/Scooty Zest which all have the same 110cc engine with the Scooty being the newest and lightest of the lot.
Also consider Suzuki Lets as the access & swish have a slightly stiff set up. Yamaha Ray is stiffly sprung and is not very plush but its not back-breaking bad. Yamaha Alpha is another scooter which is bigger than the Ray and I have not done a test ride of that. You can try it out to see if it fits your use case.
Honda has started providing telescopic suspension on the Activa recently. Please do test ride that too. Have not had the chance to test it so not sure how it stacks up against the others. There is a review of this scooter in our Motorbikes section which might help you.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2014, 18:28   #2951
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Soft suspension - Well generally most scooters with telescopic suspension are better for the rider as his hands/shoulders will not get tired very soon due to the bad roads....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Any scooter with front telescopic suspensions will serve the purpose....
Thanks a lot folks!

How about the rear suspension setup. I guess thats what hurts your back more. Does front suspension matter that much for the back?

Also, hows Vespa LX125?
Old 17th September 2014, 18:51   #2952
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
O

Now, after the cleaning, I have not been hearing the 'klich' sound while accelerating from low speeds. Also the overall noise has vanished. At speeds of 50 kmph, I can hear nothing except some wind noise through the helmet.
Did you only clean the outside of the scooter or did you clean something inside as well? I am getting the same 'klich' sound on low speeds on my Access, which has done around 8k kms in 3 years. Ironically, this sound started after the service at the A S S. I took it back to them, they said they cleaned the clutch box, but the sound reappeared in 2-3 days
Old 18th September 2014, 08:03   #2953
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How about the rear suspension setup. I guess thats what hurts your back more. Does front suspension matter that much for the back?
I dont know if this explanation is logical or not. Most of the scooters have engines mounted at the rear hence the jerks at the rear due to bad suspension set up is more or less neutralized by the engine mounting, hence the jerks are not transported to the back much. Also the suspenstion set up at the rear is almost similar for all gearless scooters.

Its the front suspension which differs greatly between telescopic and hydraulic spring types. The road bumps are transmitted more prominently in the latter than in the former.

I leave it to the 2 wheeler experts to come up with more logical answer to your question.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2014, 09:32   #2954
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot folks!

Also, hows Vespa LX125?
Vespa has the activa type front shocks. I dunno what they are called. They are not telescopic for sure. In spite of this people lap it up like hot cakes citing premium and retro reasons at close to a lakh on road price. Talk about taking the customers for a bumpy ride

A bad front suspension will screw your palms,forearms and shoulders.

Even a telescopic suspension can be badly designed. Case in point being our Mahindra Flyte. Though it is telescopic , it is pathetic at soaking up bumps!

OT: Mahindra scooters are the crappiest scooters in market now in terms of design. Though engine is awesome, all other parts are sub standard. Bad mileage, crappy front suspension. Lack of stability.And not to mention the mediocre service. Theirs is one scooter that you should avoid at all costs!
sagarpadaki is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2014, 10:11   #2955
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, hows Vespa LX125?
Rear suspension is almost similar as fellow member ghodlur has already mentioned. So the ride will feel very similar on most scooters when sitting at the back. Again with the limited knowledge of owning the below scooters, the ride when pillion felt better on one when compared to the other:

Honda Dio 2009 - Front suspension tires your arm on short rides of bumpy roads. Pillion is comfortable and does not bounce around much.

TVS Wego 2012 - Front suspension is very good and if the tyre pressure is correct it soaks up most bumps and does not tire your arms/shoulder much. Pillion feels more comfortable compared to the Dio.

Yamaha Ray 2014 - Front suspension is set up stiffer than the Wego. But it does not cause any tiring arms or shoulders. Pillion is not as comfortable as Wego and feels bounced about even on mild humps.

Hope this helps!
abhinav.s is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks