Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2014, 10:05   #2911
BHPian

Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
My friend picked up a Suzuki Lets last week. I accompanied him while taking delivery.

One thing that caught my eye was that the scooter came with Eurogrip brand tubeless tyres.

I tried searching on google for eurogrip tyres, but didn't find anything. Is this a reputed tyre brand ?

Rohan
My discover 150 2010 model has Eurogrip. Grip is a little lower, but tyre has been working fine for 32k kms.
Old 21st August 2014, 17:35   #2912

Dear BHPians if anyone has the workshop manual of Honda Activa 2012 model kindly share the soft copy

Thanks
Old 22nd August 2014, 13:16   #2913
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron_head View Post
After some serious due digilence, I have zeroed in on the TVS jupiter.

2. Wego: Dont know if its because the test ride vehicle was an old worn out wego, or its just me, but I found the Wego very boring. There was nothing distinct that warrants the 15k more premium that is commands over the Streak.

3. Jupiter: Within minutes of the TD, I could see a clear difference in performance over the wego/streak. The pick up was leagues ahead of streak and wego, didn't bottom out like the activa I rode sometime ago and was also looking a little more masculine than the other two (personal opinion). The ride quality and seating ergonomics were also pretty good.

So, I am looking to go ahead with the jupiter.

A quick question, does the Jupiter have a disc brake option like the 2014 wego? The dealer guys were evasive, they either didn't know or they don't want to sell that variant.
Hi, The Jupiter does not have an option of Disc Brakes. Only the Wego. The specs between the wego and the jupiter are similar. The difference is in the body and the console.

Moreover the dealers just try to push through the stock that they have. They generally do not bother about the customers requirements.

Have fun with the jupiter, I have one and the dynamics are like a bike.

Please find the comparison between the scooters here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...er-wife-2.html

Feel free to update.
ksmrsm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2014, 07:58   #2914
BHPian

Took the plunge and booked the Activa 125 Black color with disc this wednesday as a gift for my wife on our anniversay. Paid 1k as booking amount and waiting period is 3 months. We are 62nd in the queue.
When asked about the accessories if they are mandate, surprisingly the bank guys say its compulsory but the honda guys say its not. What a trick they play!!!
Old 25th August 2014, 18:37   #2915
BHPian

Folks, whats your take on the Yamaha Ray Z. I almost bought the TVS Jupiter, but the moment I saw the Ray Z I fell in love with its looks. I am told that the Ray and Ray Z are the same except for the sticker job on the Z. The sales girl in the showroom also told me that the Ray is aimed at female buyers and the Z at the male customer.

How is the scooter w.r.t mileage, Yamaha's service, service costs. Would appreciate any inputs.
Old 25th August 2014, 23:32   #2916
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron_head View Post
How is the scooter w.r.t mileage, Yamaha's service, service costs. Would appreciate any inputs.
Own the Ray Z and it has done around 1800kms since Feb of this year. Mileage has been in the range of 40-42kmpl, but this could be due to the fact that it is used for very short runs.
Yamaha service is just about ok, but the irritating thing is that they want you to take the scooter for a service every 70 days. Service costs are in the ball park of 100-150/- without oil change and around 400-450/- with oil change (as per the schedule).
Ride quality is good and the initial pick up with 2 onboard is very good. It reaches 60kmph very quickly after which it takes for ever to nudge 70kmph. May be it will free up as it runs more and more kms. The under seat storage space is very less and it cannot accommodate even a small full face helmet (wife's size). Foot board is also quite cramped to carry groceries. It can handle 2 medium sized grocery bags on the foot board and one light weight bag on the bag hook. But you will be struggling to place your feet properly without stomping on the bags. Since my runs are very close by, this is not a deal breaker. Ergonomics are quite good and its comfortable for my 5'2 wife as well as 6'0 me. Only grouse is if used over bad roads i develop a slight backache which my wife does not. Hope this helps.

Last edited by abhinav.s : 25th August 2014 at 23:35.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2014, 23:56   #2917
Team-BHP Support

Our Hero Meastro is nearing the 10k mark. Been a good experience so far.

Are there any sites which offer good quality handlebar grips for such scooters? The shops around my area have really low quality sponge stuff only on display.
Old 26th August 2014, 02:24   #2918
BHPian

I have had very bad experience with wego and to a point that we have decided to sell it off in the first year itself. We got lot of issues with our Wego like very less mileage (something in tune of 25 to 30 kmpl), annoying noise from the front drum brake, slight wobbling at high speeds. Tried two different ASCs but that did not help. Lost faith in the wego completely and bought Honda Dio (new shape) and am very satisfied with the performance of the scooter. Though even Dio has its share of issues, like the choke lever jammed, low mileage as compared to what company claims, somewhere close to 35 to 40 kmpl but its far better scooter compared to Wego.

I am in market for a second scooter now for my DAD and don't know what to buy. My budget is 60K, should be reliable, should be light as his age is 65+ and needs to have good ASC - (don't like Honda as well as TVS ASC).

We have zeroed in on ActivaI and Suzuki Lets, which is a better scooter of the two.

Regards,
Kailash
Old 26th August 2014, 02:31   #2919
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
I am in market for a second scooter now for my DAD and don't know what to buy. My budget is 60K, should be reliable, should be light as his age is 65+ and needs to have good ASC - (don't like Honda as well as TVS ASC).

We have zeroed in on ActivaI and Suzuki Lets, which is a better scooter of the two.
Is the Suzuki ASC closeby to your place? If so, lets is a good scooter. Since the scoot is for your dad who is 65+, please do him a favor and buy him a scooter with telescopic front suspension. It helps reduce the fatigue in the shoulders/hands when riding on bad roads or for fairly long duration in traffic etc. Have you considered the Yamaha Ray?

BTW which model year was the Wego that you bought? And most scooters return mileage in tune of 40-45kmpl owing to their stop and go usage or usage over very short distances.

Since you dont like Honda ASC but still shortlisted the Activa-i, why not look at the new TVS Scooty Zest? It has the same 110cc engine of Wego/Jupiter albeit at a meager 97 kgs, it would be super light for your dad to handle and also park and remove it out of tight spots. Power to weight ratio helps in mileage and pick up both.

Do let us know which vehicle you decide to go with.
Old 26th August 2014, 02:59   #2920
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Is the Suzuki ASC closeby to your place? If so, lets is a good scooter.

Have you considered the Yamaha Ray?

BTW which model year was the Wego that you bought?

Do let us know which vehicle you decide to go with.
I live at a place where all three - suzuki, tvs and honda are within a range of 5 kms. Hence that's not a problem. I am also of an opinion of buying a telescopic front suspension instead of the oldschool suspension of Dio, makes lot of difference in handling. I am little afraid to try TVS again with the defective product, that's not the case with Honda, I am satisfied with the product, hence in the shortlist.

I will visit the Yamaha showroom to check the Ray, but never considered it as I thought it is smaller in comparison.

As for Wego, it was the Oct 2011 model, sold it off in Jun 2012 and since then using the Dio.
Old 26th August 2014, 05:11   #2921
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
As for Wego, it was the Oct 2011 model, sold it off in Jun 2012 and since then using the Dio.
Wego from 2011 batch had a lot of issues! My colleague also bought it but faced a lot of issues and sold it off within one year. But later on in 2012 another colleague bought the wego and he is a happy camper ever since. I too have bought the Wego in Sept 2012 (in fact there are 2 Wego's in the family) and have been using it without any issues so far. My wife was finding it heavy and hence my dad is currently using the Wego and got the Ray Z for the wife. There were a lot of design changes for many a components in the Wego. Now the current models are sans any issues. Hence you can possibly just try the TVS Scooty Zest as an option to see if your dad is finding it good to use or not.

Ray is indeed small but not uncomfortable. I use it often for short trips and at 6'0 i dont face any issues. Only when used in bad roads, i get a mild backache. Also it can pull 2 up without feeling bogged down.
Old 26th August 2014, 08:12   #2922
BHPian

Quote:
Wego from 2011 batch had a lot of issues! My colleague also bought it but faced a lot of issues and sold it off within one year. But later on in 2012 another colleague bought the wego and he is a happy camper ever since. I too have bought the Wego in Sept 2012 (in fact there are 2 Wego's in the family) and have been using it without any issues so far. My wife was finding it heavy and hence my dad is currently using the Wego and got the Ray Z for the wife. There were a lot of design changes for many a components in the Wego. Now the current models are sans any issues. Hence you can possibly just try the TVS Scooty Zest as an option to see if your dad is finding it good to use or not.

Ray is indeed small but not uncomfortable. I use it often for short trips and at 6'0 i dont face any issues. Only when used in bad roads, i get a mild backache. Also it can pull 2 up without feeling bogged down.
The Wego of 2011 had no issues. as far as my knowledge goes. I have had one since it was launched and seeing me a few of my friends bought the same for themselves and for their better halves. In the motor industry there are lemons generated by every manufacturer and that is till day a mystery. Even Ducati's and Honda's have been known to produce lemons.

My wife used to ride an Activa before and she always felt that the scooter was top heavy and unsteady during panic braking. When she took to the Wego she has been very happy because of the bigger 12 inch wheels, the narrow body (which in TVS parlance is body balance) and good brakes. The version with the front disc brake is even better I am told but I am not sure because unlike in a motorcycle where 70% of the braking comes from the front in scooters it is usually 40%. That is due to the fact that scooters have a rearward weight bias. I have ridden the Wego like I do a motorcycle and never did it give me a fright. The telescopic shocks up front and the rear shock are well tuned and bumps (unless they are craters) do not cause instability of the vehicle. The after sales service of TVS I found to be very good and the TVS supervisor at the service station told me that things will only get better because TVS wants to beat the Activa. Go for the Wego, you will love it.

Last edited by sadsack : 26th August 2014 at 08:14.
Old 26th August 2014, 09:22   #2923
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsack View Post
The after sales service of TVS I found to be very good and the TVS supervisor at the service station told me that things will only get better because TVS wants to beat the Activa.
Now how many kms has it run in 3 years? For sure TVS service is better than Honda, I think anybody and everybody is better than Honda, a friend bought the Scooty only for this reason. BTW what fuel mileage do you get, and how is the pickup.
Old 26th August 2014, 13:40   #2924
BHPian

Quote:
Own the Ray Z and it has done around 1800kms since Feb of this year. Mileage has been in the range of 40-42kmpl, but this could be due to the fact that it is used for very short runs.
Yamaha service is just about ok, but the irritating thing is that they want you to take the scooter for a service every 70 days. Service costs are in the ball park of 100-150/- without oil change and around 400-450/- with oil change (as per the schedule).
Ride quality is good and the initial pick up with 2 onboard is very good. It reaches 60kmph very quickly after which it takes for ever to nudge 70kmph. May be it will free up as it runs more and more kms. The under seat storage space is very less and it cannot accommodate even a small full face helmet (wife's size). Foot board is also quite cramped to carry groceries. It can handle 2 medium sized grocery bags on the foot board and one light weight bag on the bag hook. But you will be struggling to place your feet properly without stomping on the bags. Since my runs are very close by, this is not a deal breaker. Ergonomics are quite good and its comfortable for my 5'2 wife as well as 6'0 me. Only grouse is if used over bad roads i develop a slight backache which my wife does not. Hope this helps.
Looks like the Ray Z is n't for me then. More than the disadvantages that you have quoted, I came to know that it doesn;t come with tubeless tyres. Thats a deal breaker for me.
Old 26th August 2014, 23:28   #2925
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsack View Post
The Wego of 2011 had no issues.
Of course there are lemons, but some issues which require a design change are not lemons but manufacturing defects. Case in point, the speedo cable, head light switch, air filter. These are the things that I know of that have been re-designed from the service adviser at TVS. Not all vehicles might have a problem with the mentioned parts but certainly these parts have had their designs changed. Like i mentioned i already have 2 Wegos in the family. Both were bought one month apart in 2012. No major issues except for the quoted head light switch issue on one of them while the same is not present on the other.

The positives of Wego mentioned by you are correct. Body balance is also not just some eye wash as you can certainly feel that the scooter is the most well balanced of the lot out there. That is the reason we still have 2 in the family. The ride quality and handling is the closest you can get to a motorcycle and it can sustain speeds in excess of 70kmph for quite some time without running out of breath. Only issue was that my wife felt it to be a tad taller and heavier compared to the Dio which she was using earlier. Hence gave the Wego to my dad and bought the Ray Z.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks