Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2014, 16:59   #2896
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

My friend picked up a Suzuki Lets last week. I accompanied him while taking delivery.

One thing that caught my eye was that the scooter came with Eurogrip brand tubeless tyres.

I tried searching on google for eurogrip tyres, but didn't find anything. Is this a reputed tyre brand ?

Rohan
Old 21st July 2014, 17:24   #2897
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Did my first long ride on Vespa. Awesome stability at high speeds and ride quality.
Was a 120 kms ride ( up and down) accompanied by a Iron 883 and Classic 500!.
Good to hear, waiting to get my Vespa delivered in a couple of weeks.
Old 21st July 2014, 17:25   #2898
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Should silica gel be the ideal antidote for the moisture issue? Any other alternatives?
Silica gel or a small cotton bag full of raw rice. You can get many packets of silica gel from Amazon for 200rs. I bought the same for my electronic gadgets storage.
Old 21st July 2014, 17:27   #2899
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Did you take any breaks or was it a 60Km non-stop drive (one side)?

I'm asking this because I plan to do a 150-200Km one way drive sometime soon

I have done 30Kms non-stop drive a few times now and was wondering if the seating position would induce any back pain during longer drives.
Non-stop. Was leading Iron 883 and Classic 500 to our destination . I stopped 2-3 times for them to catch up. That's all.
Old 29th July 2014, 14:39   #2900
Senior - BHPian

What is the most powerful automatic scooter in India, apart from Vespa?

My wife wants to buy one. We first checked Vespa. We liked it very much. But a premium of about 40,000 Rs over other scooters is too much to ask for, for the additional ~3 HP of power and brand image (the VX costs about 97,000 Rs on road).

We found that all other scooters are around 7-8 HP, and cost about 56-58k Rs on-road. We find that we need a little bit more power. Since we stay outside the city, we often find empty stretches, apart from a few slow-moving tractors, tippers and long container trucks (mostly carrying cars). So, I feel the additional power will help in easier overtaking.
Old 29th July 2014, 14:52   #2901
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Suzuki access/swish has 125cc and one among the powerful scooters, so overtaking lorries on ring road will not be problem. Also check suzuki lets. Vespa is no VFM scooter & commands premium for steel & rugged body. My wife found Vespa's seat height is bit uncomfortable for 5.1 height.
HighOctane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2014, 17:18   #2902
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Apart from Vespa most of the scooters i.e the so called 125cc scooters are almost identical in power and performance. The new Honda Activa 125 is the pick of the lot. Although havent tested it personally, but came to know through sources that the performance is far improved over the 110 cc. Should be easy during the overtaking.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2014, 17:25   #2903
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My experience with a new Vespa was that it was slower off the mark compared to my Access. Perhaps after the running in and first service, the engine has better low-end response.

Anyway, with great power comes great responsibility.
While I understand your requirement, also consider that Access does not have good brakes. So, no point of having a fast scooter if you cannot stop it in time. I am not sure about the other scooters from Suzuki stable. The Activa does have better brakes though.
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 16:59   #2904
BHPian

Re: Mechanic for Activa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalkashyap View Post
What is the reason for maintaining such high tyre pressures?

The tyres also aid towards suspension and having correct tyre pressure maximizes optimum ride handling. Having very high pressure will prevent the tyre from absorbing the shocks from the road and will transfer everything to the shock absorbers to do the heavy work. This is not desirable. To have a comfortable ride, the shock absorbers work in tandem with the tyres in absorbing the shocks from the road. I would suggest reducing the pressure and check the ride comfort.

Cheers!

Prajwal
I reduced the tire pressure to 18 a few days ago. However, I still feel the same jumpiness in the ride quality at the front. So, I'm guessing this is something to do with the suspension itself?

Also, the short steel lever near the rear brake lever - what's the purpose of it? I thought it was to lock the rear brake so you could stop on a slope. But it doesn't seem to lock the lever when engaged. Am I doing something wrong?

Last edited by hellmet : 31st July 2014 at 17:00.
Old 31st July 2014, 19:43   #2905
BHPian

Re: Mechanic for Activa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
I reduced the tire pressure to 18 a few days ago. However, I still feel the same jumpiness in the ride quality at the front. So, I'm guessing this is something to do with the suspension itself?

Yes, get the Suspension checked once. The tire pressure plays a major role in your bumpy ride. Try to keep it as specified by the Company.

Also, the short steel lever near the rear brake lever - what's the purpose of it? I thought it was to lock the rear brake so you could stop on a slope. But it doesn't seem to lock the lever when engaged. Am I doing something wrong?
You're right. If you're unable to use the brake lock, try loosening the brake lever play slightly.
jaaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2014, 15:24   #2906
BHPian

After some serious due digilence, I have zeroed in on the TVS jupiter.

I TDed Streak, Wego and Jupiter, one after the other. Some impressions:

1. Scooty Streak: If you dont need the power of larger scooters, this one is real value for money. A smaller engine should also ensure greater FE. But the pick up was pathetic and its going to be difficult for me to ride to work on the ring road everyday.

2. Wego: Dont know if its because the test ride vehicle was an old worn out wego, or its just me, but I found the Wego very boring. There was nothing distinct that warrants the 15k more premium that is commands over the Streak.
BTW, the dealer wasn't even willing to take the order for the disc brake wego. He was advising me that a disc brake is useless in a small 110CC scooter. I praised his immense knowledge and thanked him for the advise

3. Jupiter: Within minutes of the TD, I could see a clear difference in performance over the wego/streak. The pick up was leagues ahead of streak and wego, didn't bottom out like the activa I rode sometime ago and was also looking a little more masculine than the other two (personal opinion). The ride quality and seating ergonomics were also pretty good.

So, I am looking to go ahead with the jupiter.

A quick question, does the Jupiter have a disc brake option like the 2014 wego? The dealer guys were evasive, they either didn't know or they dont want to sell that variant.
Old 20th August 2014, 16:18   #2907
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron_head View Post
BTW, the dealer wasn't even willing to take the order for the disc brake wego. He was advising me that a disc brake is useless in a small 110CC scooter. I praised his immense knowledge and thanked him for the advise
A quick question, does the Jupiter have a disc brake option like the 2014 wego? The dealer guys were evasive, they either didn't know or they dont want to sell that variant.
Even my wife bought Wego, about 10 days ago. The dealer said that TVS no longer supplies them Wego with disc brakes. Jupiter, as far as I remember, did not have this option (as it is positioned below Wego).

Wife preferred Wego over Jupiter because Wego is leaner and more importantly (for women), comes with dual tone too. Our Wego is red in the front and black at the rear.

I rode Wego and I liked the pickup. May be the pickup is good because the vehicle is new. The front suspension does bottom out on our horrendous humps though.

But with two people, it is shows that it is just a 110 cc bike. Note that I weigh 105 KGs

Last edited by rohanjf : 20th August 2014 at 16:20.
Old 20th August 2014, 16:30   #2908
BHPian

Quote:
Even my wife bought Wego, about 10 days ago. The dealer said that TVS no longer supplies them Wego with disc brakes. Jupiter, as far as I remember, did not have this option (as it is positioned below Wego).
The dealer I spoke to, arunagiri TVS near silk board in Bangalore, said the disc brake wego would take more than 20 days to deliver and was suggesting that I take the readily available non-discbrake version.

What you said about the jupiter makes sense. It probably doesn't have the option since its placed below the wego.
Old 20th August 2014, 18:55   #2909
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron_head View Post
After some serious due digilence, I have zeroed in on the TVS jupiter.

I TDed Streak, Wego and Jupiter, one after the other. Some impressions:

1. Scooty Streak: If you dont need the power of larger scooters, this one is real value for money. A smaller engine should also ensure greater FE. But the pick up was pathetic and its going to be difficult for me to ride to work on the ring road everyday.

2. Wego: Dont know if its because the test ride vehicle was an old worn out wego, or its just me, but I found the Wego very boring. There was nothing distinct that warrants the 15k more premium that is commands over the Streak.

3. Jupiter: Within minutes of the TD, I could see a clear difference in performance over the wego/streak. The pick up was leagues ahead of streak and wego, didn't bottom out like the activa I rode sometime ago and was also looking a little more masculine than the other two (personal opinion). The ride quality and seating ergonomics were also pretty good.

So, I am looking to go ahead with the jupiter.

The Wego and Jupiter share the same engine. The scooty has a different engine with lower pickup. I suggest you to take a test ride from a different dealer because there isnt such a significant difference in pickup between wego and jupiter as you mentioned. I think the suspension is also same but I am not sure.

If you are interested in the disc brake, just stick to your stance or go to a different dealer. It is not up to them to change your requirements.

P
prajwalkashyap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2014, 19:00   #2910
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
My friend picked up a Suzuki Lets last week. I accompanied him while taking delivery.

One thing that caught my eye was that the scooter came with Eurogrip brand tubeless tyres.

I tried searching on google for eurogrip tyres, but didn't find anything. Is this a reputed tyre brand ?
As far as I know Eurogrip is a TVS Srichakra. But surprised that Suzuki buys a TVS product for their scooter!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed