Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2014, 09:19   #2851
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantdlv View Post
Hey guys! Planning on buying a new scooter for short runs.
Considering a Yamaha RayZ, will have a test drive today. Any other options to be considered? Trying not to exceed the budget of 60k, still if it is a good buy, it can be stretched a bit.
I feel Honda Activa 110, TVS Wego and Suzuki Access would best suit your requirements and budget, in the same order
Activa for Durability, Wego for Suspension, and Access for Power.
Since you have already removed Ray, Activa-i, Aviator and Dio, there are not many other good vehicles in your budget
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2014, 09:22   #2852
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantdlv View Post
Thanks Rohan! Did have a look at the Honda Activa-i, rejected both for slimmer body style.
I suggested these slim scooters since your starting point was Yamaha RayZ.

It would be better if you can share your body type - tall/short, slim/heavy etc. Would you be the only user for this scooter ? Also what is your approx budget ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Stay miles away from Active (old). The front suspensions are too pathetic, transfers the road bumps to the handle.
+1 Go for Activa only if you intend to use it for short runs. For daily use / long runs, Activa's front suspension would make you uncomfortable.

Have a look at TVS Wego/Jupiter and Suzuki Access/Swish too.

Also enquire regarding the service intervals for these scooters. IIRC, Yamaha scooters have very frequent service intervals - something like 2 months. I would reject a vehicle for this reason alone, if my usage is very less.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2014, 11:35   #2853
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Also enquire regarding the service intervals for these scooters. IIRC, Yamaha scooters have very frequent service intervals - something like 2 months. I would reject a vehicle for this reason alone, if my usage is very less.
Ray (& as per the SA all Yamaha vehicles including the FZ, SZ, Crux etc) have a 70 day service interval. Which is utterly ridiculous. Our Ray has done 1000kms in 5 months time. Technically, its ready for first service now but has already completed 2 services and ready for its 3rd. Due to the less running, i have decided to get it serviced at the FNG every 2000kms coupled with an oil change. For the Wego, it was slightly reasonable at 2000kms or 3 months whichever is earlier.

EDIT: @ Shipnil, agree and edited my post accordingly. I also did not mean that the Wego service interval as way better. 3 months is also too soon for a scooter which is meant to do a mere 3-5kms every day at least in most of the use cases! Hence my preference to visit FNG. Even the Wego which my dad is now using is serviced at the FNG as his running is also very less and does not warrant the scooter being at the ASC for an entire day for a job that hardly takes 2 hours at the FNG at the max.

Last edited by abhinav.s : 2nd July 2014 at 11:49.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2014, 11:46   #2854
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Ray (& as per the SA all Yamaha vehicles including the FZ, SZ, Crux etc) have a 70 day service interval. Which is utterly ridiculous. Our Ray has done 1000kms in 5 months time. Technically, its ready for first service now but has already completed 2 services and ready for its 3rd. Due to the less running, i have decided to get it serviced at the FNG every 2000kms coupled with an oil change. For the Wego, it was more reasonable at 2000kms or 3 months whichever is earlier.
How much is the difference between 70 days and 3 months? Barely 20 days. In fact, even I find this 3 months interval ridiculous. If car engines can use the same grade engine oil for 1 year, I don't think two wheeler engines need to be serviced that frequently. Other than this, rest is just tightening here and there and body wash.
Old 2nd July 2014, 11:48   #2855
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
On Sunday I went to check out the Vespa:
  • Vespa S : Looks terrific in matt black, but doesnt have front storage like on VX model
  • Vespa VX : Same mechanicals as S model, but more retro looks, yellow looks best

I would buy the Vespa S if there was a way to fit some storage in the front, really stupid of Piaggio to leave that out or not even provide it as an accessory.

Yes its overpriced but looks brilliant. I am nostalgic about this since a Vespa was my first vehicle bought with my salary.
Apparently the Vespa S is now also being released in Matt Black as an 'Exclusivo' limited edition of which only 1000 will be sold. I am definitely buying this.
Old 2nd July 2014, 12:15   #2856
BHPian

Tyre Upgrade/change for Aviator Deluxe version:

Hi guys,
Our Aviator's tyres are not holding up air properly and they have lost thread considerably. Need some decent tyres for them. Please provide your suggestions.
Old 2nd July 2014, 12:51   #2857
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
How much is the difference between 70 days and 3 months? Barely 20 days. In fact, even I find this 3 months interval ridiculous. If car engines can use the same grade engine oil for 1 year, I don't think two wheeler engines need to be serviced that frequently. Other than this, rest is just tightening here and there and body wash.
The service schedule is tighter because of many reasons for scooters especially. That is because:
  • Compared to your car the scooter has a less oil sump capacity, and this oil can get contaminated sooner or deplete earlier. Though the car engine is a lot bigger, majority of the oil stays in the sump and a loss of one liter of oil might trigger the oil lamp, but in case of the scooter the engine will seize.
  • The average scooter engine always runs at higher speeds and higher temperatures compared to the car engine since it relies upon forced air cooling compared to liquid cooling. Result is that the wear and tear is greater.
  • Unlike the car, the scooters mainly come with drum brakes, which need to be cleaned frequently to keep braking power intact.
  • Unlike the car which runs on Electronic fuel injection, the carbs need cleaning and maybe idle setting and tuning, of which the latter two is automatically adjusted in case of a car.

And the 20 days difference does make a difference to people with less usage. That is because IIRC engine oil irrespective of a honda or a yamaha or TVS is changed every alternate service. Hence, for a seventy day service interval you will end up paying for oil every 140 days though usage is less, whereas for a three month interval you will pay for engine oil every 180 days. Less wastage of oil - less service expenditure - environment friendly. Also, for people who dont use it regularly, the 70 day service interval will give nearly two extra services per annum. While my dio goes for service four times a year, the Ray or any other scoot will have to visit at least five times, with a 15 day gap for the next service. If this condition isnt met, the warranty will be void which I personally wouldnt want to risk.
Old 2nd July 2014, 13:28   #2858
Distinguished - BHPian

Shorter service intervals are mainly for the manufacturers to make money. Modern vehicles are not so delicate that one needs to service them every 70 days. An oil change every 70 days is also ridiculous.Even if the oil is not changed every 70 days, there is no need for a vehicle to visit a service center for a general checkup unless you drive in bad conditions day in and day out. One should always extract the max from the oil before changing it. Used oil is hazardous to environment.
Old 2nd July 2014, 13:33   #2859
Senior - BHPian

My access visits the service center every 6 months for a service. I too found it ridiculous that Suzuki had a service interval of every 45-60 days and my running was extremely low. The scooter has done around 6k in almost 3 years.
What I did do was change the engine oil at shell, but then realized that the shell guys do not change the oil filter, so it may not be of much use to change the oil outside and hence stick to the service center.
The FNG i tried once, said scooters don't have oil filter and air filter, so they can not be changed. I changed the FNG after that discussion.
dass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2014, 14:57   #2860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Nishant,

Stay miles away from Active (old). The front suspensions are too pathetic, transfers the road bumps to the handle. Opt for a scooter which has telescopic front suspensions and if possible fuel refuleing outside the storage compartment. Makes life much easier.

I would suggest Wego would be the right match, I have driven my BIL's Jupiter and found it to be bobbing up & down with the front telescopic suspensions during the ride over damaged and potholed roads. Wego in that way was steady.

I personally wouldnt suggest Vespa coz its too pricey to bargain for looks.
Thanks for the suggestion mate! That takes Activa off the list.
I have ridden my uncle's TVS Wego; yes I found the ride good, but my heart has started falling for the Jupiter. Also, Wego is a bit slim for my liking. Still would be considering it on so much demand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I would recommend looking either at TVS Wego or the Honda Aviator or Suzuki Access.

Anurag.
Thanks mate! Wego is on the list! Yesterday, had a visit to a Honda dealership, the SA was saying the Aviator would suite you. On asking, How? Any USPs? She was like, "Aisehi.."

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
I feel Honda Activa 110, TVS Wego and Suzuki Access would best suit your requirements and budget, in the same order
Activa for Durability, Wego for Suspension, and Access for Power.
Since you have already removed Ray, Activa-i, Aviator and Dio, there are not many other good vehicles in your budget
Thanks hemanth! Would be considering the Wego on popular demand! Also noticed, it has a glove box and disc brakes as optional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I suggested these slim scooters since your starting point was Yamaha RayZ.

It would be better if you can share your body type - tall/short, slim/heavy etc. Would you be the only user for this scooter ? Also what is your approx budget ?

+1 Go for Activa only if you intend to use it for short runs. For daily use / long runs, Activa's front suspension would make you uncomfortable.

Have a look at TVS Wego/Jupiter and Suzuki Access/Swish too.

Rohan
Thanks Rohan!
Glad you took up this point. Would also enquire about the service intervals.
Sorry mate, wasn't aware of the fact that even RayZ was slim, came to know after actually seeing it in person. Was only going by its pictures on the internet.
My body type - I'm 5'7'', weight 75. That's not too tall and not at all slim
I'll be the only user.

Thanks again guys!
So for now, on the list are the TVS siblings, Wego and the Jupiter along with Yamaha Cygnus Alpha.
Old 2nd July 2014, 16:00   #2861
BHPian

I second the Opinion of @ghodlur !!

Apart from the Suspension issues of Honda Activa, you've to virtually beg for each and everything - be it buying, delivery or even the Service. You're treated like a 2nd Class Citizen, from the moment you enter a Honda Showroom.

Maruti is Leader in Cars, and still their Dealer's attitude as well as ASS is one of the best in the Industry. But it's reverse when it comes to Honda 2 Wheelers.

Have you ever noticed the no. of Vehicles they take for Service each day ? Buying experience can be One Time, but visiting them for Service is a bad experience.

Your choice of TVS twins, is a better choice compared to Honda's. Even feature's wise also, TVS Scores 20% more.
Old 2nd July 2014, 21:20   #2862
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
Apart from the Suspension issues of Honda Activa, you've to virtually beg for each and everything - be it buying, delivery or even the Service. You're treated like a 2nd Class Citizen, from the moment you enter a Honda Showroom.

Your choice of TVS twins, is a better choice compared to Honda's. Even feature's wise also, TVS Scores 20% more.
Thanks mate! Decision inclining towards TVS after all the suggestions. I think even the Yamaha Cygnus Alpha will be ruled out.

+1 to the Honda experience!
Old 4th July 2014, 23:30   #2863
Senior - BHPian

My friend was on the lookout for a scoot. No particular requirements apart from the usual.

She test rode the Wego, Jupiter, Maestro, Activa and the Cygnus Alpha. All of them back to back to back!

She ended up liking the Maestro the most. The Activa after that and the Jupiter third. She didn't like the Wego nor the Cygnus because she felt them to be too light for her liking.

Now, I just wanted to know. How wise would it be to choose the Maestro? I have read that the new Activa gives close to 50kmpl while the Maestro has managed 45kmpl once in a while. Does anyone know the real figures?

Also, anything that tips the scale in favour of either? Meaning, anything that should be considered before making a decision?
Old 4th July 2014, 23:48   #2864
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post

Now, I just wanted to know. How wise would it be to choose the Maestro? I have read that the new Activa gives close to 50kmpl while the Maestro has managed 45kmpl once in a while. Does anyone know the real figures?

Also, anything that tips the scale in favour of either? Meaning, anything that should be considered before making a decision?
Technically the Activa and Maestro are very similar. The benefits the maestro offers is noticeable with a little sharper styling and personally I like the front of the maestro better.

I believe they share the same engine and transmission too, since Hero used Honda tech before and at least in their current models. Since I havent got a chance to ride a Maestro, I cant say how the engine and performance fares in comparison to the Activa. If hero has made the engine and components as good as Honda, meaning same quality and vendors etc then the Maestro will be a good choice. Especially the finer the engine, better is its life, efficiency etc in the longrun.

If hero offers same refinement, smoothness and performance then I think the Maestro will be a good option instead of the plain looking Activa.
Old 5th July 2014, 00:34   #2865
BHPian

Re: Mechanic for Activa?

Could any of you advise us on a decent mechanic for activa, in and around south bangalore(prefer JP Nagar). The bike has NOT been serviced for quite sometime and my sister is NOT keen to take it to the honda service center.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks