Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2014, 17:07   #2791
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Is the Wego with disc brakes not available? Dealers are not even willing to take orders for disc brake version.
Isn't it true that you have to be extra cautious with disc brakes on a two-wheeler, where chances of lockups are higher? Also, on wet surfaces, is there a higher risk of slippage if you are on a turn and brake suddenly?
Please confirm if this in a myth or a fact.

Coming over the pricing of scooters, does anyone know how much affect the excise duty cut has had on the pricing of Activa, Jupiter et. al.?
Old 24th February 2014, 19:01   #2792
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Isn't it true that you have to be extra cautious with disc brakes on a two-wheeler, where chances of lockups are higher? Also, on wet surfaces, is there a higher risk of slippage if you are on a turn and brake suddenly?
Myth. We have an Aviator Disc brake version with us for 3 years now, and never have I (or wife - primary user) felt the disc brakes were hard to use or anything. If anything, they increase your confidence in braking.

Also, braking on turn or slippery roads etc are not dependent on type of brake, but rather on type of rider
Old 24th February 2014, 19:03   #2793
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post

Coming over the pricing of scooters, does anyone know how much affect the excise duty cut has had on the pricing of Activa, Jupiter et. al.?
@S_U_N

Lockups happen irrespective of the brake type you have, if you panic and apply at full force. Once you get used to the brake feel, you will really appreciate the disc brakes. Even if you lock up the brakes its not very difficult to control. We have a Aviator with disc brakes and its braking is miles apart from other scooters and in fact it is even more safer due to the reduced the braking distance compared to the drum version.

Last edited by RajeswaranK7 : 24th February 2014 at 19:04.
Old 25th February 2014, 19:20   #2794
BHPian

All, I am looking to buy a gearless scooter. Not sure if this was discussed earlier, Would like to know which one gives the highest mileage.

BTW, I was browsing through the classifieds section for used bikes and the prices quoted were way too much. Someone trying to sell a 1980's Enfield Mofa for a cool 1 lac or Yamaha RX-100 for 80k or an ind-suzuki for 1 lac!! OMG!! The used bikes market works on the mantra 'anything old is antique', I guess.

Sorry about the OT!!
Old 25th February 2014, 20:22   #2795
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron_head View Post
All, I am looking to buy a gearless scooter. Not sure if this was discussed earlier, Would like to know which one gives the highest mileage.
Most of the gearless scooters available in the market right now give a mileage in the range of 35-45 kmpl depending the driving conditions. I personally have been able to achieve a mileage of 49 kmpl in my Honda Activa but that was too when I did economy drive to test the scooter.

Can we know why mileage is the only criteria for buying a scooter? Higher mileage can be achieved in bikes too and much better than scooters.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2014, 22:54   #2796
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Most of the gearless scooters available in the market right now give a mileage in the range of 35-45 kmpl depending the driving conditions. I personally have been able to achieve a mileage of 49 kmpl in my Honda Activa but that was too when I did economy drive to test the scooter.

Can we know why mileage is the only criteria for buying a scooter? Higher mileage can be achieved in bikes too and much better than scooters.
Thanks ghodlur. I am looking for a scooter is so my wife can ride it too. My only expectation from the scooter is high mileage and low running costs. 35 - 45 looks very low. I thought the scooty streak and wego give more than 50.
Old 25th February 2014, 23:24   #2797
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks ghodlur. I am looking for a scooter is so my wife can ride it too. My only expectation from the scooter is high mileage and low running costs. 35 - 45 looks very low. I thought the scooty streak and wego give more than 50.
Obviously. More cc translates to lesser mileage. I dont think the wego can give 50+ in similar conditions where an activa/dio can return 40. The streak can return good FE since it has a smaller engine and is lighter. If the running is low, mostly for short distances where you dont want to take your car, then I wonder how FE matters. It does only matter if you plan to commute regularly to work or similar. And I have observed that these scooters return lesser FE if used for short trips. So, its really difficult to judge FE from scooter to scooter.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2014, 01:28   #2798
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Our 3 year old Access gives 50 kmpl since I drive around 40 kmph speed with minimal braking and gentle acceleration. The traffic is minimal and I turn off the engine at signals since I know how long they will last.

However, previously my wife used to ride it for most of the time and those would be short trips to drop me to the bus stop as pillion and some trips to the local market. The average was around 40-42 kmpl.
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2014, 09:31   #2799
BHPian

I hope this helps, yesterday on traffic signal i asked a young woman who was riding Activa-i, she was not riding sedatly for sure, and was experienced enough graduating from Scooty pep+, and she confidently claims she gets a mileage of 55kms/ltr. Now if guys are wondering how i could get so much info on a traffic signal, well it was long enough in morning rush hour traffic.
zulfi hansi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2014, 03:41   #2800
BHPian

Hi guys,

Been contemplating a scooter with electric start for my 60 year old dad. He has been driving a Kawasaki Bajaj KB 100 RTZ for 25 years and a TVS Scooty for last 12 years.

I want a safe, comfortable, stable, well riding, easy to use scooter in the 50-55 K range.

The trips would be max 10 km daily so fuel efficiency does not matter.

It would be good if the scooter is chunky and a bit powerful (>=100 cc, 7-11 BHP). A puny 60 cc scooterrete is the last thing I want to gift him, as he is medium built and 5 foot 6.

I considered the TVS Jupiter and the TV Wego, since the TVS Showroom is near to us.

Any other better choice which would warrant a special mention?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by rageshgr : 19th March 2014 at 03:46.
Old 19th March 2014, 08:24   #2801
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageshgr View Post
I considered the TVS Jupiter and the TV Wego, since the TVS Showroom is near to us.

Jupiter may be bigger for him at that age. Instead you can consider Wego. Also check out Yamaha Ray which is easier to ride in traffic with smaller body and 113cc peppy engine.
HighOctane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2014, 09:57   #2802
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Been contemplating a scooter with electric start for my 60 year old dad. He has been driving a Kawasaki Bajaj KB 100 RTZ for 25 years and a TVS Scooty for last 12 years.

I want a safe, comfortable, stable, well riding, easy to use scooter in the 50-55 K range.

The trips would be max 10 km daily so fuel efficiency does not matter.

Thanks in advance.
My Dad (who will turn 72 next month) is a happy man with his TVS Wego. His requirements were exactly similar to your Dad's. It has been 1.5 years now since he bought the TVS Wego, absolutely no niggles/issues at all (though his average monthly running is very less, around 100km). Some of the plus points of Wego:
  • Very easy to handle, body balance does really work
  • Putting the scooter on centre stand is a child's play
  • Easy access to fuel tank lid for refills, no need to get off your seat
  • Decent acceleration, can pull two effortlessly. Helps sedate drivers
Besides the above the TVS showroom/service centre is walking distance from my home (big plus).

I think TVS Wego is one of the best scooters for the elderly. Go for it blind folded.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2014, 09:57   #2803
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... as he is medium built and 5 foot 6.
Please let him test drive the scooters and select the one which he is comfortable with.

From my test drive experience, I feel that Yamaha Ray would be best suited for a person of height 5'6" since it has a lower saddle height compared to the other scooters available in the market.

While taking test drive, also make it a point to check how easy it is to get seated on the pillion seat. Some scooters (Wego, Aviator etc) have a very tall pillion seat, which makes it very difficult to use for the elderly or people with less height.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2014, 15:44   #2804
BHPian

Thanks all,

I too liked the Yamaha Ray. It is stylish and peppy. Will have it high in my list too.
Old 15th April 2014, 22:59   #2805
BHPian

Hi all,
I purchased a preowned kinetic flyte recently and need to change the tyres now, please suggest a good one for grip and comfort.

Also, the ground clearance is quite low. Any upgrades possible?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks