Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2014, 09:45   #2746
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
All versions of Dio 110, and HET version of Activa, Aviator come with Tubeless tyres standard. Tuff up tubes were replaced from 2013 models check the press release in TBHP itself. My dio has tubeless tyres and not those tuff up tubes.
+1 My Honda Activa-i (July 2013) also came with proper tubeless tyres (MRF nylogrip).

I really fail to understand why other companies don't provide tubeless tyres on their scooters.

Rohan
Old 17th January 2014, 10:16   #2747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Does Jupiter come with Alloy wheels?
Yes it comes with similar design alloys like the Wego but in Black color.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2014, 23:29   #2748
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
+1 My Honda Activa-i (July 2013) also came with proper tubeless tyres (MRF nylogrip).

I really fail to understand why other companies don't provide tubeless tyres on their scooters.

Rohan
I read somewhere that tubeless tyres are much faster to assemble on the line since the process will not have one more component, the tube. Also the cost of tube is saved, with no or marginal increase in the cost of the tyre.

Two wheelers dont come with a spare wheel so its really necessary to have them. My cousin was stuck somewhere in a deserted place due to a flat tyre. I thought of getting her tubeless tyres but it wasn't available for a scooty streak tyre size. Have told the tyre guy to inform as soon as he gets an idea where they are available. Would like to get her scooty fitted with it. At least the puncture wont deflate the tyre somewhere far off unless parked for a long time.
Old 19th January 2014, 11:44   #2749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
Hi am looking at a gearless scooter for my brother in law. Jupiter vs Activa vs RayZ. It should also be manageable for his wife. They are in favor of Jupiter for the features it offers. Also is it true that RayZ doesn't come with tubeless tires ? How to know the correct manufacture date of the scooter from the chassis no. ? any pointers will be welcome. And what are the waiting periods for these models in chennai ?
RayZ is available off the shelf in Chennai. I prefered it over the activa because of the weight. Picked it out over jupiter due to the smothness of the engine. Yes lack of tubeless is a low point. Honda show room's attitude put activa i off the list. Dio is out of production.
Sridhar K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2014, 12:09   #2750
BHPian

Sridhar K actually gave me a good idea, I have a old KH and the rear tyre is due for replacement in some time, was wondering if I can fit a tubeless tyre on the old ream. Need your opinions guys.

BTW if i cannot then in that case i am open to buy a tube type tyre from any of you guys who have bought a new scoot and want to upgrade to tubeless right after taking delivery in Bangalore. I know many would be vary of it and use it anyways and think of change next time for the inconvenience, so i am there for you!
Old 19th January 2014, 14:27   #2751
BHPian

Checked tvs Jupiter today. Its Rs.57,700 in Bangalore (onroad price). Yet to take test ride. Heard that waiting period is 2-3 months. Looks like tvs is just creating a hype. Before even the sales picked up, why such high waiting period.
Also heard that activa is available readily,with no waiting period.

Last edited by rki2007 : 19th January 2014 at 14:29.
Old 20th January 2014, 11:41   #2752
Senior - BHPian

I have noticed that panic braking on Access leaves the two wheeler quite unstable. In this month, twice I had to brake quite hard, from speeds around 50 to come down to less than 20. On both occasions, the rear of the scooter would slip around quite a bit. Somehow I could balance the scooter using my legs.
Does that mean the tires are not good enough? They are 3 years old and with 12K on the odo. Are there better tires available in the market for scooters?
Old 20th January 2014, 11:54   #2753
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I have noticed that panic braking on Access leaves the two wheeler quite unstable. In this month, twice I had to brake quite hard, from speeds around 50 to come down to less than 20. On both occasions, the rear of the scooter would slip around quite a bit. Somehow I could balance the scooter using my legs.
Does that mean the tires are not good enough? They are 3 years old and with 12K on the odo. Are there better tires available in the market for scooters?
Try reducing air pressure and check if the rear still skids. I had this issue with my Wave which was earlier shod with the similar tyres that come on the access. They did have some thread left but the vehicle used to skid and start fishtailing. I then got the tyres changed to the Nylogrip that my dio has. This tyre offers better grip and the skidding has greatly reduced. Also you can try using greater pressure on the front brake. After using the Combi Brakes, I have done the hardest of braking just to test how it works and though the rear wheels skid a little, the scooter will be completely stopped by the time you even realise that the wheels locked. Last week while oiling I had not balanced the brakes properly and this led to the wheel skidding and fishtailing just as your case. I found that I had not adjusted the combi brake setting properly which led to more force being applied on the rear wheel. Came back and corrected it and all is well
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2014, 12:15   #2754
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Try reducing air pressure and check if the rear still skids. I had this issue with my Wave which was earlier shod with the similar tyres that come on the access. They did have some thread left but the vehicle used to skid and start fishtailing. I then got the tyres changed to the Nylogrip that my dio has. This tyre offers better grip and the skidding has greatly reduced. Also you can try using greater pressure on the front brake. After using the Combi Brakes, I have done the hardest of braking just to test how it works and though the rear wheels skid a little, the scooter will be completely stopped by the time you even realise that the wheels locked. Last week while oiling I had not balanced the brakes properly and this led to the wheel skidding and fishtailing just as your case. I found that I had not adjusted the combi brake setting properly which led to more force being applied on the rear wheel. Came back and corrected it and all is well
The recommended air pressure for Access is 36 (rear) and 18 (front). However most tyre fellows advise 25 in the front (I think that helps in fuel efficiency).

What I have seen is if the air pressure is lower than this, then the performance is affected. The scooter feels sluggish.
Also, the ride is affected quite a bit if the air pressure is different from this. For example, if the air pressure is lower, you feel more shocks when the wheel goes over some undulations or minor gaps between joints on the roads.

Now, I could try reducing the air pressure a bit on both front and back.

Secondly, since Access does not have combi-brakes, and I tend to use the rear brakes more than the front ones, I think changing to better tyres is the best bet. Is the Nylogrip tyre available for all scooters?

BTW: How safe is it to apply the front brakes if speeds are above 20-30 kmph?

Last edited by S_U_N : 20th January 2014 at 12:18.
Old 20th January 2014, 12:37   #2755
BHPian

Quote:
Secondly, since Access does not have combi-brakes, and I tend to use the rear brakes more than the front ones, I think changing to better tyres is the best bet. Is the Nylogrip tyre available for all scooters?

It is the style of breaking that you need to change. Any scooter will skid if any one break is applied more then the other, for sure. You need to adjust both front and rear breaks at the exact same level and while breaking you need to apply break equally on both. You will see how tremendously it changes and the confidence it will inspire at any speed.
zulfi hansi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2014, 21:35   #2756
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The recommended air pressure for Access is 36 (rear) and 18 (front). However most tyre fellows advise 25 in the front (I think that helps in fuel efficiency).
If not 18 keep 22 at front and AFAIK the rear tyre pressure will have different pressures for single rider and pillion modes. I follow 22 and 36psi at the front and rear. 26psi set by the petrol bunks will make my dio ride very harsh. I have to personally insist 22psi is all I need. As recommended by honda, it does its job well.

Quote:

What I have seen is if the air pressure is lower than this, then the performance is affected. The scooter feels sluggish.
Also, the ride is affected quite a bit if the air pressure is different from this. For example, if the air pressure is lower, you feel more shocks when the wheel goes over some undulations or minor gaps between joints on the roads.
Lesser tyre pressure at the back will make the scoot sluggish. However you can reduce front tyre pressure and make use of the front brakes. If both tyres are overinflated, you will definitely end up skidding.

Quote:

I think it must. Those old tyres I had were hard and offered less grip.

I think you should use the front brakes to a point such that it wont skid. Rather use the rear brake first and transfer force to the front. Panic braking with the front brake will lead to a tragedy.
Old 21st January 2014, 14:24   #2757
Senior - BHPian

Will try lower air pressure in some time.
For now, I have refilled at Shell twice and I can feel a significant difference in the engine performance. The noise is much less and the pickup is 'smoother'.
The earlier IOL pump definitely creates issues for all the three vehicles that we have.
I am now tempted to fill in the premium version of fuel that Shell guy claims 'will remove all carbon from the engine.'
Perhaps it is worth the extra Rs. 10?
Old 21st January 2014, 15:53   #2758
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am now tempted to fill in the premium version of fuel that Shell guy claims 'will remove all carbon from the engine.'
Perhaps it is worth the extra Rs. 10?
They give a lot of bull about the premium fuel. Heck in the pump I go there is a dedicated line for shell super. Since its empty, people enter it to find out that the line was meant only for shell super. I have filled it thrice and found no difference. Maybe for an old engine with carbon deposits it helps, but in my case the mileage dropped too. However I stick to the Normal Shell Unleaded. My mileage has now become a constant 40 even under aggressive driving.
Old 21st January 2014, 16:24   #2759
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not very safe in my opinion. Applying only back brakes at lower speeds are still fine but only the front one will lead to skidding. What I normally do is start with the back brake to reduce speed and then simultaneously apply the front brake slowly. Of course if the situation demands sudden braking, then both of them are applied together.
Old 21st January 2014, 20:56   #2760
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Not very safe in my opinion. Applying only back brakes at lower speeds are still fine but only the front one will lead to skidding. What I normally do is start with the back brake to reduce speed and then simultaneously apply the front brake slowly..
Definitely. A mix of equal balance between brakes will get the safest and the fastest braking. Using only front or the rear brakes will induce a skid in no time.

For those with Combi brakes, make sure that it is balanced properly, ie you should ensure that the rear brake lever applies equal force on both front and rear brakes. In case of imbalance, you will have 2x braking effort onto the front tyre thus causing a serious accident. Also if the rear brake lever does not provide effort onto the front, the rear tyre will skid.

To ensure the combi brakes are working properly, move the vehicle front manually and brake to a halt, say from a very less speed using only the left lever. The front of the scoot must not dive or raise up. If it dives, then the brake balance is towards the rear. In this case, you can observe the front suspension going down. If the front of the vehicle seems to raise up while braking, the front brakes are biting more.

When you brake, and let go of the lever, there shouldnt be any movement in the suspension. That indicates both front and rear brakes are biting equally. That also means there wont be any loss of balance or skidding.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks