Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2013, 14:34   #2656
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas_2007 View Post
Is it possible to fit a fuel filter between the carburetor and fuel tank in Honda Aviator (HET) 2013?

Will it void the warranty?

I'd like to buy a good quality fuel filter online. Please suggest sites.

I am asking this because there is no fuel filter in Aviator petrol tank apart from a plastic pipe like structure fitted in the outlet that can not filter the contaminants. As a result even very little contaminant in petrol ultimately ends up in carb to make it overflow. A carb wash brings back everything to normal.
To avoid the problem I try my best to refill only in two specific fuel stations in my town where the quality and quantity is good. but that's not possible always. Please help.
BTW, I talked to the service manager during the last servicing about it. He said that it is not possible to fit a fuel filter in Aviator. He could't give me any satisfactory answer, Why not? (might be that they didn't want to fit any aftermarket part in the scooter. just a thought)

Regarding this, it is an excellent opportunity for a DIY . A fuel filter, or for that matter, any simple, effective filter which is available locally can be installed within the plastic pipe.

And regarding warranty, since this simple modification does not alter the running characteristics, in my opinion, it SHALL NOT RENDER THE WARRANTY VOID.
FINTAIL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2013, 14:36   #2657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it possible to fit a fuel filter between the carburetor and fuel tank in Honda Aviator (HET) 2013?

I am asking this because there is no fuel filter in Aviator petrol tank apart from a plastic pipe like structure fitted in the outlet that can not filter the contaminants. As a result even very little contaminant in petrol ultimately ends up in carb to make it overflow. A carb wash brings back everything to normal.
To avoid the problem I try my best to refill only in two specific fuel stations in my town where the quality and quantity is good. but that's not possible always. Please help.
BTW, I talked to the service manager during the last servicing about it. He said that it is not possible to fit a fuel filter in Aviator. He could't give me any satisfactory answer, Why not? (might be that they didn't want to fit any aftermarket part in the scooter. just a thought)

Regarding this, it is an excellent opportunity for a DIY . A fuel filter, or for that matter, any simple, effective filter which is available locally can be installed within the plastic pipe like structure.

And regarding warranty, since this simple modification does not alter the running characteristics, IN MY OPINION, IT SHALL NOT RENDER THE WARRANTY VOID.

Last edited by FINTAIL : 28th October 2013 at 14:37.
Old 3rd November 2013, 11:57   #2658
BHPian

Quote:

If you have seen fuel filter on M800, its a small round plastic sealed cylinder like with only inlet and outlet which will fit the same fuel pipe fitted to your tank, you need to cut the fuel pipe and install this in between the tank and carb. You gave me a good idea infact will try this in my KH also, I see a lot of dirt in the fuel tank, but I don't know if Kinetic has a fuel filter.
zulfi hansi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 08:29   #2659
Senior - BHPian

Team,

I want to retrofit front disc brake on SUZUKI ACCESS ? Please suggest options.

Can I acquire parts of HONDA AVIATOR and will it be a direct fit ?
Old 6th November 2013, 10:03   #2660
Senior - BHPian

^^ Bad idea. Just sell it and buy a scooter with a front disc. Either the Aviator or the Vespa.
Old 6th November 2013, 12:41   #2661
BHPian

I was unable to find the same comfortable riding position on any scooter like my KH. Now, the ray is providing almost the same stance while riding. The low level floor board, short height of the handle column and low level seat are close to KH. Ditching the booked Dio het in favour of the Ray.
Old 6th November 2013, 16:08   #2662
Senior - BHPian

After much debate and back to back test rides of Ray Z, Vespa, Dio and Activa. Bought Ray Z last week for my wife.
OTR - 58900
Accessories - Free (Ray Z foot mat, Buzzer, handle Grip and Side ladies footstep)
Pros,
Handling is excellent
Weight is on the least compared with others.
Height is also on the lowest compared to others.

Cons,
Not great under the seat space.
Personally felt the tires did not gave confidence in riding. Will wait for some more days to actually comment on it. Will wait for the tires to break in for some more days.
Old 6th November 2013, 22:54   #2663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
^^ Bad idea. Just sell it and buy a scooter with a front disc. Either the Aviator or the Vespa.
Could you please elaborate why ? Is it not feasible ?

I am happy with the access, but braking doesnt inspire confidence, for that matter any scooter without disc brake makes me wary when braking.
Old 7th November 2013, 09:42   #2664
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Could you please elaborate why ? Is it not feasible ?
The fork length, difference in length between access and Aviator, the mount points, the place for the brake fluid reservoir, everything needs to be considered. And also the Aviator has 12 inch wheels up front. It might make a difference to where the points for mounting the disc rotor are provided on the fork.

Considering all this, if you still have a very good and capable mech who is ready to take this up, you can go ahead and let us know the outcome.

Retrofitting discs on a vehicle for which disc brakes are provided from the OEM at a later point is easier. Case in point: Wego, which first came without discs and now has an option for front discs. Retro fitting it on the older non-disc Wego is easy. But cross shopping forks for different vehicles is a bit risky.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2013, 03:27   #2665
BHPian

I own a Swish bought 6 months ago which gives a strange sound when the speed goes above 60 km/h. It's kinda of a whoosh sound or a mini ambulance like the SA's at Suzuki call it. I know it's the clutch plates that make the noise but don't know why. Can someone throw some light on this?
P.S: Trying to get rid of the sound for the past two services without any positive outcome.
Old 12th November 2013, 12:44   #2666
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
But cross shopping forks for different vehicles is a bit risky.
This has been always on my mind. Since we are on the topic, I would take the oppurtunity to ask experienced people, that the height of the handlebar from the ground appears to be same in Ray, Ki-Ho and Dio. Can the telescopic forks of Ray be used in Ki-Ho? This solution can make many of the owners happy.
I have seen people using forks of bajaj safire/wave (not sure), on the Ki-Ho. This used to raise the height of handlebar. Ray seems a better option now.
Please dont think of me as a lunatic for asking such queries. Hope here are many fans of old 2 strokers.
Old 12th November 2013, 19:04   #2667
BHPian

BHPians,

I am looking for a gearless scooter for my mother. She has NIL experience in riding two-wheelers. The scooter would be required only for short rides to the market, with a MAX running of 40-50 kms a month. It is solely for the purpose to be used by mother as I already own a Thunderbird 350 and my father uses his MS Wagon R. So, my mother will be the only rider. Sometimes, the scooter might not be used for a week or two. We are looking for a scooter with low maintenance cost and trouble free ownership. The looks and functionality are not our priority, but low cost and less attention is our requirement. Please advice weather to go for a new scooter or used one. Which model should I look for in used and new scooters respectively ? Does the height of the scooter play an important role when it is supposed to be used by ladies ?

Thanks

Last edited by bhasker : 12th November 2013 at 19:11. Reason: Forgot to mention a few vital points
Old 12th November 2013, 21:04   #2668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhasker View Post
We are looking for a scooter with low maintenance cost and trouble free ownership. The looks and functionality are not our priority, but low cost and less attention is our requirement. Please advice weather to go for a new scooter or used one. Which model should I look for in used and new scooters respectively ? Does the height of the scooter play an important role when it is supposed to be used by ladies.
Have a look at Scooty Pep or any lower model from TVS. Seems like nobody thinks about these nowadays, but perfectly fit in your criteria. Height of scooter does matters. New or used is your call.
prokinetic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2013, 21:33   #2669
BHPian

Quote:
BHPians,

I am looking for a gearless scooter for my mother. She has NIL experience in riding two-wheelers. The scooter would be required only for short rides to the market, with a MAX running of 40-50 kms a month. It is solely for the purpose to be used by mother as I already own a Thunderbird 350 and my father uses his MS Wagon R. So, my mother will be the only rider. Sometimes, the scooter might not be used for a week or two. We are looking for a scooter with low maintenance cost and trouble free ownership. The looks and functionality are not our priority, but low cost and less attention is our requirement. Please advice weather to go for a new scooter or used one. Which model should I look for in used and new scooters respectively ? Does the height of the scooter play an important role when it is supposed to be used by ladies ?

Thanks
From my personal experience- a big no to Scooty pep if a few very much required changes are not done yet. The earlier models which my family had, used to run into a lot of problems. There were wiring issues and the battery would die down. The other biggest disadvantage is- the battery acts as a switch. If there is low battery charge or disconnected- the scooter won't start at all. If the issues are sorted out in the newer models, it should not be a problem through.

Coming to your question- yes. The height of the saddle matters especially when your mom is driving it and since she has no experience! In my opinion, any two Wheeler battery would have problems if you just leave them for quite a long time.

Going for a new/old one is strictly personal since having a new one is always great. :-P

Coming to my choices- Yamaha ray or the Activa-i seem to be the ideal choice. Happy hunting.
kash_pegasus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2013, 08:30   #2670
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please advice weather to go for a new scooter or used one. Which model should I look for in used and new scooters respectively ? Does the height of the scooter play an important role when it is supposed to be used by ladies ?
Bhasker,

I would suggest stick to a new one rather than an used one inspite of fact that your mother will be new to riding a scooter. Used scooter defeats your requirement of low maintenance & trouble free ownership.

Apart from height, the weight of the scooter would also matter for aged ladies. Scooters like Activa are heavy so skip it. I would suggest Hero Pleasure coz its light, low in height and easy to ride for newbies. Also stick to the brand which is closest to your place in terms of workshop.

Other suggested brands: Wego, Jupiter, Yamaha Ray, Suzuki Swish.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks