Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2024, 20:50   #1

Royal Enfield Dilemma | Guerilla 450 Vs Shotgun 650

Let's start with some context.

I am new to the riding scene (Actually, not even into it). I have always been a car guy, to an extent where i could have probably watched every single car review video on youtube, from powerdrift to carwow.
Talking about cars, we'll get to talking about them on TeamBHP soon.

Chapter : How Bikes?
Well, i have all different kinds of experience with cars, but not much with bikes. have done some friendly short rides, but nothing serious. The longest 2 wheeler ride would be around 60kms (one way) on an Access 125 or the Jupiter. I have had moments during these rides, at around 80kmph, where, everything just fades away. The feeling explained very well in this dialogue "...The machine becomes weightless. Just disappears. And all that's left is a body moving through space and time" from Ford vs Ferrari.
A feeling that hit me on one of the rides, but stayed inside.

Sometimes life pushes you hard, you fall, you get up alone. It all finally clicks, the feeling of knowing that you are enough. This is exactly where I started to miss the moment I had on the bike.
There onwards, the drama begin. Its been 2 years and I still don't own a bike.

Chapter: My Knack for machines

The auto nerd in me made me learn a geared bike when i was probably in or 11th, probably 16 year old. This only happened because of the two FZ-S's, black, that were brought home. An adventure a sneaking a splendour out at 4am, learing a geared y 6 am and dissapearing with the FZ's by 8am. I love that day.
(A little backgroud - My Grandfather is a mechanic, so i knew all my car theories. Being a Goan, my house is full of taxis and rent a bikes, so all access pass to a lot of cars. Riding a non geared was game from the day could pick it on my feet.)

By this time, i have had my journey of joyrides from 150cc bikes to even an R6. As we all know, first love is first love, i've always had my heart stuck on naked or Royal Enfields. Another thing, i am an abolute Hooligan when i ride. It started off as a kid, and it still sticks. I respect all opinions on riding, but i also value the smile on my face. Which meant I exactly knew where to start.

Chapter: Understanding Character of bikes
I knew i wanted a bike that could put a smile on my face. It had to start from 300cc+, and because i value my life, and accecpt the fact that i need to learn a lot more, it surely needed to be below 500cc. (Only reference to power. Okay with a 650 RE but not a 600 Kawasaki)

It started with the "Triumph Speed 400", naked with a retro look. Mix of the two things that i like.
I am person who doesnt think much. I walked in the showroom with a though that i would get this. Rode it, popped a wheelie and realised soon, i could die in this. That bike, is like a feather. Somehow, i felt i couldn't control it on the brakes, but for the 5ft5 me, i had deccided, "i will learn".
Plot Twist - I had taken a friend with me, a GT650 Fan. A person who had been convincing me for a GT650, but the cocky me found the GT650 old school. He advised me to try the other Triumph 400x. After that ride, i realised, "what if miss all the good parts because i haven't tried it?". 400x was comfortable, better braking, smooth and tamed. Still, time to move on because "i did not find love"

Chapter: Journey of Test-rides
I had a clear list. I wanted to fall in love.
The thoughts below are my thought before the testride.

1. KTM 390 - I knew it was sexy, but i the looks deterred me.
She gets the hooligan out of me. Absolutely crazy. I cant find a single flaw in this bike. Somehow, i feel, i will never grow up if i get this or i would die. I still love it. I don't know, she is the one that i wouldn't want to talk about.

2. Svartpilen 401 - I liked the looks, but was unsure.
Nah. I rode this after the KTM. My thought, if people test ride this bike after the KTM or even with the KTM, its very unlikely the the Husky will sell. You either need to be in love with the looks of the Husky or you really need to hate he orange on the KTM. The 390 was a notch better at every singe thing, from tech, control, braking to even the thrill.

3. Himalyan 450 - Just because i could ride it. Thats it. I knew, it isnt the one for me.
This happened on my visit to the RE showroom, and i can describe the Himalya 450 in short. "She is the queen". Perfect balance. All i could wish for would be cruise control, thats it. You just can't stop riding it.
I need a bike for the Goan roads, day tto day commute. This is not for a short guy like me FOR NOW. I will have such a ride in my garage one day.

4. 650 Twins - My Friend. His requested.
Mind blown. I understood the love that my friend has for the GT650. That smooth engine. uffff.
I am still not a fan of the looks, but, i was in love with the engine. After this moment, it took me 3 months to convince that it isnt a practical ride for me.

After that convincing, i waited for the Guerilla to launch and also for Shotgun test rides to open.

Chapter - New Biker Dilemma
5. Guerilla 450 - I had been waiting for this launch.
Finally, i got this.
The first test drive happened with Saini Motors RE in Vasco Da Gama. Now, I had test ridden the other RE's with them too. The catch, a wierd test ride policy. They won't let you test ride the bikes solo.
Now, it didnt affect me much when i rode the Himalyan or the 650. They are perfect. This did when i rode the Guerilla.
The Guerilla is fun, but doubted it because i could not experience it alone. It pulls for sure. I touch 130kmph with a piillion, but i missed character. I did not blame the bike here, i blamed the policy. So, i moved on the another showroom.

Guerilla 450, Take 2 with RE Garage Cafe in Calangute. They gave me 10 mins to experience the bike alone. Trust me, the bike is crazy. I love the looks and the hoolligan that i could be on it. I think a different set of tyres would bring a lot more confidence to the ride.
(I'll try and share a review post soon.)

I had fun, clicked some photos, and headed back. I felt this could be the bike for me. A bike where i could start my riding journey. Somthing that i could ride to the market or somewhere far. Versatile enough for some rough roads and also ready to take some rides on some smooth roads.
I thought i found my love, imagining my future, just like ALI from Dhoom.
Exactly at this moment, i saw the Shotgun650 available for a test ride.

6. Shotgun - Utter Beauty & the engine.
Modern yet old school. The purr of that 650 twin. Glossy engine with the matt dual exhausts. Finally, the sound. You feel your heartbeat as soon as the engine starts. It makes you feel alive.
The ride was crazy, with the widest smile on my face. Its aglie and the tyres stick. Its an absolute joy. Noway practical with the low ground clearance and the uncomfortable seat, but it makes me look so damn amazing when i am on it. A bike, that has got a me confused.

Chapter - The Confusion
The things that are running in my mind.
1. Should i really push my budget for a Shotgun?
2. Will it really make me happy as I live with it?
3. Does the Guerilla 450 make a good start the riding world?
4. Which bike will help me grow as a rider?

I dont know!!!

I am in no hurry of a bike, but i really wish for one. I am sure there is going to be a day soon in the next two to three months, where i would walk in the showroom and book one for sure. Till then,

to get into biking, ill let this dilemma eat me alive, Guerilla 450 or The Shotgun 650

What you think?.
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Dilemma | Guerilla 450 Vs Shotgun 650-whatsapp-image-20240910-20.39.16.jpeg  

Royal Enfield Dilemma | Guerilla 450 Vs Shotgun 650-whatsapp-image-20240910-20.41.28.jpeg  

ShreyashSays is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th September 2024, 03:04   #2
BHPian

re: Royal Enfield Dilemma | Guerilla 450 Vs Shotgun 650

My pick would be Shotgun having recently test ridden it as well, that engine and exhaust note is something else. But only if you are okay with the weight. If you have the budget, why not? Better to be done with single cylinders and jump to higher segment if you can.
Boringrider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2024, 11:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShreyashSays View Post
Chapter - The Confusion
The things that are running in my mind.
1. Should i really push my budget for a Shotgun?
2. Will it really make me happy as I live with it?
3. Does the Guerilla 450 make a good start the riding world?
4. Which bike will help me grow as a rider?
What you think?.
1. Not sure, perhaps I can quantify saying if the cost of motorcycle is no more than 10-20% of bank balance then yes; reason being even if you do not like it later & want to sell, you don't lose much
2. May or may not; from my experience of owning Rx, CBR 250R & Interceptor 650, I still ache for Tiger or Striple; new motorcycles are just novelty, brings happiness for sometimes only to fade away later. However, what still keeps happiness is: The ride, the road, the wind, the riding experience, blasting past the cars & ofcourse tinkering with motorcycles, be it Rx or Interceptor or perhaps even Activa - It's the experience that keeps the happiness, not the materialistic possessions
3. Any motorcycle that you're inexperienced with helps to accomplish a good start
4. You'll outgrow any motorcycle that you keep riding

Good luck on your journey & welcome to motorcycling
aargee is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 12th September 2024, 11:54   #4
BHPian

You don't buy a bike for the future.

You buy a bike for the present, to feel alive and to create the connection between this world and your soul.

So let your smiles while riding the test bikes decide which one you want to see in your garage every morning.
nishsingh is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th September 2024, 13:30   #5
Senior - BHPian

I agree with Aargee .

Coming to your conundrum, my thoughts here as under:

I have ridden the Himalayan 450 900 Kms over 6 days. Its a great tourer but also suited great for the Goa internal roads full of twisties. Am sure the Guerilla 450 with the same Himi chassis will be equally as agile.

I have also had the interceptor 650 for 30 days and I rode it quite a bit in Mumbai traffic. Its agile and extremely flickable. The pull is crazy. But its heavy. You feel all off the 220 kg weight when on a standstill. Am guessing the shotgun characteristics are similar to interceptor.

I'm also 5'5". So based on experience, I will go to the Himi / Guerilla compared to the Interceptor / Shotgun. Reason being agile, lighter, better suspension dynamics. Cons will be vibration. But I can live with it.
MileCruncher is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th September 2024, 17:33   #6

Good questions and perspectives all around. Saw your comment on the Kawasaki 650. Ninja’s are beautifully crafted & engineered machines. Ride one once and then decide. Try the Ninja 500. You will realise flick-ability and power at the same time. The 650 would be brilliant but it’s a bit too much for Goa roads. Wish the N400 was still on sale. It’s the perfect starter option. Albeit none of the Ninja’s mentioned have Bi-QS and other fancy electronics that a Husky or a KTM may have.

All the very best, enjoy the wind in your face, the howl of the engine under you and sheer joy of riding on 2 wheels, which you may decide finally.

Don’t take too long, hop on and enjoy the ride, enjoy the present like someone else said already.

Mod Note : Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.

Thanks

Last edited by Sheel : 12th September 2024 at 17:37. Reason: Mod note attached.
neeladri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2024, 23:18   #7
BHPian

Having graduated from a 350 Classic to a Shotgun let me offer a few perspectives.

1. The weight increase of nearly 60kgs is real and felt during manhandling the bike while parking and moving. The 350 'in comparison' was a breeze!
2. The heat from the 650 is again, felt and real, when you stop at red lights and at slow speeds.
3. That said, the pull of the 650 twin will always get the smile on your face and fuel efficiency be damned.(20+kpl though I never tested it in real world- I just fill it and ride it because it is that kind of a bike!)
4. As a choice to pick up groceries I'll take the 350 but on a ride to the end of city or group it will be the 650.
5. I lived with a 350 in Goa and found it quite adequate as there are not many triple digit roads and I never really felt let down by a lower cubic capacity.
6. Since you admit you are new to the scene, take a good long ride of both bikes before you decide.

Lastly, sometimes it's good to listen to your muscles, than your heart especially when you need to push a budget, because the net gain in the long run, would be a more use/abuse friendly bike especially as a first one, on which as you say you want to grow as a rider.

P.S. I have no idea about the Guerrilla.
Freespirit27 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th September 2024, 23:34   #8
BHPian

I think you should test ride Interceptor 650 before taking final decision. It's manageable for your height, has a lot of character, it's comfortable for long rides due to seating position, lighter and less expensive than Shotgun. Trust me the performance is more than enough for our riding conditions, you will never need to upgrade from this bike for performance unless you want to match the speeds of the 900cc+ Superbikes.
46TheDoctor is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2024, 13:09   #9
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Dilemma | Guerilla 450 Vs Shotgun 650

It’s clear to me that you enjoyed the Shotgun 650 more.

I loved the Shotgun when I rode it too. The chassis is brilliantly flickable at city crawl speeds. It blew my mind.

Go for it. You will forget all your worries and confusion.

Here’s a little something to tempt you further -

Royal Enfield Dilemma | Guerilla 450 Vs Shotgun 650-img_4514.jpeg
TheHelix0202 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2024, 23:47   #10
BHPian

Just as another user pointed out. I think you should try out the Interceptor. I have a gut feeling that you’d love it.
V0rtex is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2024, 16:01   #11
BHPian

If you were an experienced rider and looking for an upgrade, would have said shotgun hands down. But you want to improve yourself. You can only improve if you step out of your comfort zone. Guerrilla being lighter and more agile would be easier to learn with, when compared to shotgun. Shotgun is heavier and also has low gc, so you won't have much confidence in some bad roads/off road situation. So I'll suggest you go with guerrilla.
Flechazo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2024, 20:17   #12
BHPian

For me personally, while selecting my bike, below were couple of important aspects (among others like make, model, reliability, service availability etc.) that I considered while choosing the bike:
1. Weight
2. Maneuverability in city

RE Guerrilla 450 weighs 185 kgs while Shotgun weighs 240 kgs. A heavy bike like Shotgun will be a task at hand to maneuver in city but on highways, rides will be more stable once you catchup with the regulated speed. While on the other hand, Guerrilla, a comparatively lighter bike will be easy going both in city and highway, IMO.

If you are looking at a light weight and easy to maneuver bike, both in city and highway, then you should think of Guerrilla 450
Old 15th September 2024, 23:15   #13
BHPian

You should consider the Guerrilla 450 over the SG650. The SG650 with it's catchy design will grab eyeballs wherever you go but the Guerilla 450 will be a lot better choice for the daily rides IMO. All the best!
Phantom 510 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2024, 21:44   #14
BHPian

Like Aargee said before you need to think about your present requirement and keep an eye on future scalability too.

Based on what you mentioned, Shotgun may not be the all rounder bike which you will be able to take anywhere and the weight is quite a lot. It is a beautiful bike and fit and finish is superb. For present Guerilla looks great for you, but within a year of your biking journey, you will yearn for the power and refinement. And then you might regret not stretching the budget.

I think Interceptor 650 looks like the perfect option for you, if you have the budget go for it. Enough has been said about the twin engine, the rush when it pulls like a locomotive is unbelievable. While on other bikes you will be worrying about upshifting and downshifting (like I do on my Dominar), you won't realise it in an Interceptor.

The other advantage with interceptor is the mod potential, you can almost personalise the bike, e.g. you get the AEW pipes and can potentially shave off 6 kgs from the weight and other mods.

Not an easy decision, all the best!

Last edited by Meer : 17th September 2024 at 21:45. Reason: added a sentence
Meer is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks