Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2024, 00:30   #1
Team-BHP Support

Jawa 42 FJ | Launch and First look

Classic Legends launched the Jawa 42 FJ at a starting price of Rs. 1.99 lakh (ex-showroom, New Delhi). Mr Anand Mahindra himself was present at the launch. This is the 10th model to be launched by Classic Legends since its inception. Anupam Thareja, co-founder of Classic Legends, said that Classic Legends has invested around Rs. 350 crore of the Rs. 1,000 crore raised. The rest would be to boost production and expand the distribution network:
Jawa 42 FJ | Launch and First look-jawa-42-fj-1.jpg

The new FJ is a sportier version of their ’42’ lineup with a few changes. The FJ stands for František Janeček who was the founder of Jawa Motorcycles:
Jawa 42 FJ | Launch and First look-jawa-42-fj-2.jpg

The bike has a wheelbase of 1440 mm and a seat height of 800 mm. I’ve not been around a lot of the modern bikes, but for me (5’10”), the bike was of a good size:
Jawa 42 FJ | Launch and First look-jawa-42-fj-4.jpg

LED Headlamp cluster gets the ‘42’ emblem. The indicators seem tiny though:
Jawa 42 FJ | Launch and First look-jawa-42-fj-5.jpg

41 mm diameter telescopic forks up front with 135 mm travel. While the regular 42 gets a single-tone tank design, the FJ gets this dual-tone aluminium tank cladding design:
Jawa 42 FJ | Launch and First look-jawa-42-fj-6.jpg

A look at the front 18-inch alloy wheel with a 100/90 section tyre. You get a 320mm disc:
Jawa 42 FJ | Launch and First look-jawa-42-fj-7.jpg

Old-school offset fuel lid gets nice detailing below:
Jawa 42 FJ | Launch and First look-jawa-42-fj-8.jpg

You also get an offset speedometer:
Jawa 42 FJ | Launch and First look-jawa-42-fj-9.jpg

The switchgear seemed of decent quality, although a bit basic:
Jawa 42 FJ | Launch and First look-jawa-42-fj-10.jpg

Handlebar end rear-view mirrors look really cool! The usability will depend on the refinement of the engine though:
Jawa 42 FJ | Launch and First look-jawa-42-fj-11.jpg

This is the 334 cc Alpha 2, single-cylinder, liquid-cooled, DOHC engine that makes 28.7 BHP and 29.6 Nm:
Jawa 42 FJ | Launch and First look-jawa-42-fj-12.jpg

The Jawa 42 FJ is built on a double cradle frame and also gets some underbody protection:
Jawa 42 FJ | Launch and First look-jawa-42-fj-13.jpg

A look at the handlebar lock and the ignition slot. Also, check out the radiator cap:
Jawa 42 FJ | Launch and First look-jawa-42-fj-14.jpg

A closer look at the 42 badge on the side. Note the logo below the number, you can see the ‘FJ’ inscription in it:
Jawa 42 FJ | Launch and First look-jawa-42-fj-15.jpg

The straight seat design looks good and the seat height is comfortable as well:
Jawa 42 FJ | Launch and First look-jawa-42-fj-16.jpg

Unlike the regular 42, you have upswept exhaust on the FJ:
Jawa 42 FJ | Launch and First look-jawa-42-fj-17.jpg

You get a 140-section tyre at the rear. The dual rear shocks are pre-load adjustable and have 100 mm travel:
Jawa 42 FJ | Launch and First look-jawa-42-fj-18.jpg

Look at the rear stop lamp and the indicators. This is the Mystique Copper paint shade which has a price tag of Rs. 2,15,142:
Jawa 42 FJ | Launch and First look-jawa-42-fj-3.jpg

This is the Deep Black Matte Red Clad which is priced at Rs. 2,20,142:
Jawa 42 FJ | Launch and First look-jawa-42-fj-20.jpg

The Deep Black Matte paint with Black Clad also costs the same:
Jawa 42 FJ | Launch and First look-jawa-42-fj-23.jpg

This is the Cosmo Blue Matte paint which costs Rs. 2,15,142:
Jawa 42 FJ | Launch and First look-jawa-42-fj-21.jpg

Lastly, the Aurora Green Matte is available for Rs. 2,10,142. There’s also a spoked wheels version in this paint which costs Rs. 1,99,142:
Jawa 42 FJ | Launch and First look-jawa-42-fj-22.jpg

Some cool accessories were on display:
Jawa 42 FJ | Launch and First look-jawa-42-fj-24.jpg

Also on display were other bikes under the Classic Legends. This is the most recent launch – the BSA Gold Star 650:
Jawa 42 FJ | Launch and First look-jawa-1.jpg

Here’s the Jawa 350:
Jawa 42 FJ | Launch and First look-jawa-2.jpg

The Yezdi Roadster:
Jawa 42 FJ | Launch and First look-jawa-3.jpg

Here’s the regular Jawa 42:
Jawa 42 FJ | Launch and First look-jawa-4.jpg

The cooler sibling, the Bobber 42:
Jawa 42 FJ | Launch and First look-jawa-5.jpg

I love the vintage looks of the Perak:
Jawa 42 FJ | Launch and First look-jawa-6.jpg

Here’s the Yezdi Adventure:
Jawa 42 FJ | Launch and First look-jawa-7.jpg

And lastly, the Yezdi Scrambler:
Jawa 42 FJ | Launch and First look-jawa-8.jpg
Omkar is online now   (51) Thanks
Old 4th September 2024, 00:33   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Jawa 42 FJ | Launch and First look

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line.
Omkar is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2024, 09:29   #3
BHPian

"I was thinking of replacing my 2016 RE Thunderbird, so now I’m waiting to check it out in real-time and take a test drive. I hope it’s as good as it looks."
amit_shimla is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th September 2024, 09:37   #4
BHPian

All of these bikes look so amazing. Jawa/Yezdi sure has a talented design team. Yet to see a a bike that doesn't look great from their line up. Hope the quality and service levels improve too with time.
Ratan Prabhu is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th September 2024, 10:22   #5
BHPian

These are such good looking bikes. Remember dad having an original Jawa in the 80s, which he used to service on his own.

Wish I had the guts to ride a two wheeler on Indian roads!
asingh1977 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2024, 11:41   #6
Senior - BHPian

Superb looking bikes.
Hope they get serious with it. Was almost on the verge of picking up an Adventure last year. But somehow thought otherwise. They said a colour listed on the website is no longer available. And this was not just one dealer, but 2 different dealers in 2 different states.
Having said that, personally I find the Adventure better than the regular Himalayan. In all aspects except for the dealer network.
beejay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2024, 11:46   #7
BHPian

Happy to see Classic Legends launching gorgeous bikes. They made a mistake by launching the original Jawa with an average low-end pull, which resulted in me and many of my friends staying away. Being a Bullet 500 owner, Goldstar 650 is a really good upgrade but my heart is not allowing me to let go of my Bull. I think Jawa could advertise more to show off the capabilities, increased GC and better low-end grunt, which I think is not reaching the masses well!

Last edited by KarthikK : 4th September 2024 at 11:48. Reason: Non-Teambhp emoji edited out
B5glider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2024, 11:51   #8

If you have a closer look, Jawa or even Royal Enfield bikes have exposed the radiator caps which are either prone to a impact damage or someone can play a mischief of opening it (imagine a bike parked in society and children with their genuine inquisitiveness start mingling with the radiator caps). I wonder if this is a deliberate design mistake or designers have some hidden functionality / reasons.
Motorfanatic1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2024, 16:42   #9
Senior - BHPian

Given Mahindra's history with previous ventures, I initially anticipated Classic Legends would become just another failed initiative, joining the ranks of others like Peugeot two-wheelers, Ssangyong and various other JVs.

Therefore, it’s a pleasant surprise to see Mahindra actively supporting Classic Legends and committing resources to the two-wheeler business. This investment not only reassures current owners of the Yezdi and Jawa brands but also encourages potential buyers to take the plunge and purchase these appealing, competitively priced motorcycles. I genuinely hope this time around, Classic Legends will successfully compete in the retro segment as originally intended. All the best guys!
shortbread is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th September 2024, 16:53   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
Look at the rear stop lamp and the indicators. This is the Mystique Copper paint shade which has a price tag of Rs. 2,15,142:
Attachment 2649925

This is the Deep Black Matte Red Clad which is priced at Rs. 2,20,142:
Attachment 2649943
wooh, what a looker these bikes are.

It looks more like a Harley, infact this is what the Harley X440 could have looked like.

Have never ridden them but the looks are inviting enough to go for a test ride even though i am not in the market for a change.
Gaur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2024, 19:23   #11
BHPian

Any recent Jawa/Yezdi owners in the TBHP? Could you share how has been your recent ASS experience with your product? I guess other than obvious flaws in build quality in Gen1 products, ASS was deemed bad by the many owners. That includes lack of spares availability & poor service by their service centers.

If they sort these out, I think they could challenge RE with some customers driving out of the RE showrooms to buy Jawa/Yezdi products. I guess there is improvement in the perceived quality as spoken by many auto Journos from the launch event. But, what remains to be seen is the ASS experience or the lack of it.
Quicksilver85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2024, 23:30   #12
BHPian

The Jawas look neat - Good job by their design team ! Maybe a different sized engine soon ?

I'm just not understanding what they are trying to do with the Yezdi brand though.
loki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2024, 12:41   #13
BHPian

While I think the FJ looks mighty cool and the colour schemes with the aluminium cladding on the side are a nice design touch (a' la Ducati Scrambler) I have some serious concerns with this whole endeavor of classic legends :-

1. One engine being used for the whole of the line up!? While I understand the use case for 3-4 models but for the entire range, this reeks of monotony. Some of the money raised can definitely be used for a new platform.

2. RE with their sherpa engine have taken the game far ahead in the scrambler/roadster and the ADV segment. The Yezdis are swimming dead in the water. I've not even seen one in flesh.

3. You have Jawa, Yezdi and BSA under your umbrella and the only accessories you can display are two helmets, one pair of riding gloves and a couple of generic riding jackets!? RE have made a whole new parallel source of revenue with their accessories line.

4. Where is the marketing? Customer events? Riding clubs? Sponsorship of major motorcycling events? RE has launched a new product - the guerilla and everyone knows about it while the goldstar 650 has generated as much interest as a commercial truck!

5. Jawas took the lead when it came to the bobber platform and their perak looks amazing! But bobbers will always remain niche.

6. The original Jawas were rushed when launched and suffered from a magnitude of QC issues. This gremlin remains with Jawa as yet. Maybe offering comprehensive warranty for 5 years can be a step in the right direction and a positive sales booster.

Personally, even though I own an interceptor, I hate the fact that REs have such a monopoly in the premium and retro bike space. I would love for them to have competition and hope that classic legends steps up to the plate. They have all the right ingredients, now just have to come up with a killer menu.
gaurav_3000ad is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 7th September 2024, 03:32   #14
BHPian

FJ 42 looks awesome, better looking than some RE models. Hopefully they will invest more in R&D, dealership and service networks. Even I own an Int 650 but truly like to see stiff competition from many other brands in this segment. As many said monopoly of RE should be narrowed down which will force even RE to bring many new models on different powertrains. If a twin cylinder ADV from Aprilia, Bajaj Triumph or Classis legends rolls out before RE's twin cylinder ADV, bikers community will be in delight and will force RE to roll even greater products. We Indian have lost hope on Japs on multi cylinder bikes.
Turbosailor is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks