Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2024, 16:51   #1
BHPian

Yamaha YZF R3 Review | The almighty conundrum, solved

Continuing from where I left:

This was my first article in this mega forum: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...5-5-lakhs.html (The Almighty Conundrum - 2nd motorcycle for 5.5 lakhs)

For the above thread, I got great responses which helped me solve my almost 4-yr enigma! So, welcome one, welcome all into the initial impressions, buying & ownership experience of my first Supersports bike - The BS6 / Euro 5 Yamaha YZF R3 (Icon Blue), a CBU Import from the land of 1000 islands - Indonesia!

I wasn't sure of adding this to older R3 threads / to my original article. But considering the gap of 4 years before which Yamaha got the R3 back and that my personal conundrum (about which I’ve written earlier) won't have much relevance to actual ownership experience, I'm making a new thread. If the admins deem fit, I request them to kindly move my article to the appropriate thread. Thank you once again for giving me the platform to share my ownership experience.

Background:

Was always a car nut with my interest going back to me as little as 5 perhaps? However, my interest in bikes started much, much later, say around 27. Precisely during the time of Covid 2020. Thanks to Motovlogging, my interest in bikes took off spectacularly with an increasing desperation to change my then 6 yr old bike!

When I got my first bike (around 22 y.o), it was an easy decision - Get a reliable and good-looking ride. The automatic choice was the well-established chart topper - The 2014 BS 3 FZ-S! A ravishing red one at that! Gave it a good bit of TLC recently. Will share an ownership experience if folks here ask for it! Sharing a couple of pics of “Red” (named after Red in the Angry bird movie) here below:

Yamaha YZF R3 Review | The almighty conundrum, solved-whatsapp-image-20240828-14.29.36.jpeg

Yamaha YZF R3 Review | The almighty conundrum, solved-whatsapp-image-20240828-14.28.32.jpeg

Fast forward 4 years after getting stung by the change-the-bike bug, I still couldn't make up my mind as to which bike suits my needs. In a way, I suffered from problem of plenty (of data), since I developed a knack of picking atleast 1 massive deal-breaking downside for each of the sub 5-Lakh bike on sale in India. I consumed so much motorcycle content that I could easily to come up with reasons to not get a particular bike. Whoever said Ignorance is a bliss, was damn right!

Advice to my younger self - Just get a good bike and enjoy it. They're all good and the ones who buy it, buy it for a reason. The collective wisdom of lakhs of people in buying a model of bike cannot be outmatched by any one person’s conviction. So, don't waste time over analyzing. Time lost can never be had again.

The Challengers I Perused:

I’m mentioning only the things that kept me away from these proven performers. They are nonetheless brilliant as their owners are having a swell time with them! So, I’m honestly happy for those owners too

Aprilia RS 457: Too much tech (means costlier replacement costs & inaccessible to even simple repairs by FNGs), high service costs (explained later), less service touch points, spares availability & the biggest unknown - long-term ownership experience (quality, longevity, Aprilia Support etc.).

Ninja 300: Very, very, low ground clearance, engine heat in city, NO noteworthy updates in 10 years (yet its good), very high service costs (explained later), only 32 touch points Pan India & spares availability.

Ninja 500/Eliminator 500: Couldn’t afford + the service issues I mentioned above.

RE 650s: All the four 650s are heavy bikes and the air-cooled engines get pretty warm in Chennai’s soaring heat.

RE 450s: Both 450s have prominent vibrations and the small fuel tank in the Gueriilla 450 was a no for me.

Honda CB300R: Puny fuel tank, Less service touchpoints & low availability of spares.

Honda NX500: Couldn’t afford + high service costs (2 X more expensive than its predecessor CB500X), touchpoints and spares issue

HD 440/ Mavrick 440: No top end performance.

KTM 200/250/390 & the Husqvarna counterparts: They all have a certain amount of vibration, that’s not to my taste. Typical single cylinder character they say. I beg to differ (See how the CB300R is! Gruff engine, but doesn’t vibrate). Even the RC 200 vibrates a little too much.

Dominar 400: Outdated and soon to be replaced, Engine Vibrations.

NS 400Z: Not touring ready. Small fuel tank, built to a cost as evident in rear tyres being non radial. Vibrations.

Triumph 400s: Speed 400 is not rev happy at its peak power zone, while the Scram’s sprockets limit its top end.

BMW / TVS 310: NO updates in the past 7 years, Vibrating engine, service cost of BMW & service quality of TVS.

Jawa / Yezdi 2.0 – All their engines have been tuned to have lesser top end now. Also, some say they vibrate, some say they heat up. Reviews are confusing.

Suzuki 250s: The toughest one for me to let go. The first time I rode a bike was when I was 13. It was my dad’s Max 100R. A sweet lil’ rocket, which I used to annoy the more powerful 4 stroke Pulsars lol. Suzuki service was iffy according to few folks in this forum. Plus, my personal bad experience with a local Suzuki dealer made it worse.

People with eagle eyes would have noted that I put more focus on the service and spares part, That’s true. Also, engines with high compression ratio are not to my taste (which I discovered later).

Barring the 2 Kawasaki 500s, Hero-Harley 440, NS 400Z & NX500, I test drove all the other bikes! So, I’m not shooting my opinions wildly here.

One can trust me on merit as well since I’m not a Yamaha fan! I like Yamaha. But I wasn’t a fan and isn’t a fan of the brand. I’m just someone who appreciates a well put together package (case in point the R3). The OEMs I tested above are the ones I REALLY RESPECT. There is no brand hatred per se on my part here.

So anyway, why the R3:

1. Low service cost (explained later). Spares availability for R3/MT03 is unknown though.
2. More than 300 blue square outlets Pan India. So atleast 200+ service outlets too?
3. Superb engine. Worst case, it buzzes a bit. But never vibrates.
4. Excellent fuel efficiency when driven sanely (35 kmpl in the highway)
5. Doesn’t heat up too much in city.
6. Sufficient ground clearance.
7. Has hazard lights, which the RS 457 & Ninja 300 do not offer. Yes, it’s important to me and I want it as a stock fitment in my bike. Not interested in messing with the electricals by adding the Simtac units.

Cons in my opinion:

1. A price which says “don’t even think about it / don’t even touch it with a 10-foot pole”.
2. No updates to the engine in almost 10 years! Works fine anyway.
3. Pillion seat is laughable (small and high). Yet to test the comfort part though!
4. Lack of touring accessories offered by Yamaha India.

Fast forward to recent times - End of 2023-ish:

After 5+ years of reading general motorcycle forums, model/bike specific user forums, reading global reviews, watching reputed YouTube reviews of journos from every country a model was being sold in and every terrain it was being operated at, my own R&D into the level of R&D put in by the OEM in showing commitment to developing their platform further, taking cues from user/ownership reviews from multiple continents, languages & my own discussion with friends, I had a lot of info and felt confident of making a perfectly well-informed decision. Hence the R3!

There are too many reasons to list as to why one can get the R3 apart from the 7 points above. But the long story short version is that the R3 by far had the least number of complaints/demerits by both critics as well as owners! It’s a rarity to see the level of adulation a single model could garner. Yamaha did it and Boy didn't they absolutely nail it!

Ideally its due for an upgrade in 2025 with fanboys wish lists like:

1. Deltabox frame like R1 & R6 (maybe?),
2. Bigger & chunky USDs from the R15
3. Traction control (multiple levels . . . maybe?) & cornering ABS from R7.
4. Colour TFT console from R15, with TBT navigation (maybe?) and Bluetooth connectivity
5. Ride-by-wire. And riding modes (maybe?)
6. Quick Shifter (Optional).
7. Adjustable suspension (Optional).

Should these be added, the cost escalation seems scary. However, if Yamaha are hearing this, I request them to consider parts sharing of not only the turn signals across all models, but also apply that to other parts say from the R15M. You know, parts like Colour TFT, bigger USD forks, Traction control software & Quick shifter which can all be bolted on the Gen- 3 R3 which should currently be under development (I hope). And FYI, folks in the UK get Yamaha’s official quick shifter as an accessory for the R3 for £ 198. Lucky them!

My personal preference would be to add just Traction control, TBT navigation integrated into the current LCD screen (like the Suzuki 250s) & an optional Quick shifter. Rest as such makes the bike such a friggin’ dream! Deltabox frame & Adjustable suspension are going to make it a lethal track weapon! So, it’s a no for me as the touring ability of the R3 will diminish then. Ride by wire can also be done away with. Thanks to Aprilia for spoiling us with unreal expectations!

THE BIG NEWS

When news began pouring in that R3 is staging a comeback in India, I was going nuts, while also remaining cautious as Yamaha can sometimes become a Honda while pricing their bikes. And true to that, it was a bomb of a news at 4.65 lakhs ex showroom! It should have ideally been the on-road price of the bike. But Yamaha shattered my heart and plunged me into a week-long depression. The realization of not being able to buy that one bike which you looked forward to for 4 years was crushing! I collected myself, cursed Yamaha and poured all my grief across social media. Took 6 months to calm down lol.

Did my analysis once again. Was surprised to know that Yamaha retails the R3 at the same price in USA, while being more expensive in Brazil, which is another location where the R3 is assembled apart from Indonesia. Thanks to the Free Trade Agreement between India and Indonesia, R3 could be had here at the price at which it is retailing now. Otherwise, we’re taking about R3 being sold for 8+ lakhs. Yikes! Yamaha can break hearts, but they’re not that stupid to bring the R3 at that price.

With this new-found info in my mind, I almost convinced myself to get the R3. But here comes the however part –

Despite ruling out the RS 457 & Ninja 300 off my brain, my heart wasn’t ready to accept it. There’s so much useful tech in the RS 457 while being ₹ 35000 cheaper, while the Ninja 300 is a full ₹ 1.23 lakhs cheaper! Features and money really talk I say! With the RS 457 tempting us with a solid overall package and the Ninja 300 staking a claim with its proven legacy, I once again found myself in a quandary on picking one of the 3: R3, Ninja 300 & RS 457.

And so I hit the ground running once again to deep dive into the cost of ownership/after sales side of the Ninja-verse and the RS 457-verse. Wasn’t satisfied with the super high service costs, spares & service touchpoints (only 32 Pan India locations for Kawasaki) and wasn’t convinced with the sophisticated tech’s longevity, high service costs and the unknown ASS quality of the 457.

Found the Ninja 300 debiting your bank account by ₹ 7500 - ₹ 11,000 (depending on regular service or extensive service) for every 6000 kms.

As for the RS 457, its 1st free service costs ₹ 3000 and 2nd free service costs ₹ 5000 according a YouTube source. This is without labour. With labour, the costs are definitely in Ninja 300 territory for sure! Apart from the 5000 for the 2nd service, the Youtuber had also changed the brake pads for ₹ 2000 separately, prior to the 2nd service. So, the 2nd service according to me is ₹ 7000, excluding labour! That’s Ninja 300 territory again.

By the way, according to the Youtuber, the RS 457 shares the front brake pads with the Gen 2 Duke 390. Same brand, type of pad (Double H), part number and price!

So considering all these costs, I finally made up my mind for good! It was the R3. Done. Dusted. Period. Dot (Dr. Vaseegaran Rajini style).

I finally picked the Call of the Blue. No more signal issues/missed calls lol. Time for Yes Yamaha! No more Bhass Yamaha! (stolen phrase from Shumi, MotorINC)

Personally, the R3 is not any normal bike purchase for me, but a super emotional one for many reasons.

One year I’m in a job, and then the next year I’ve changed it!
One year I see close friends go through their happiest highs and another year I see none of them to be in touch.
One year I got married. The very next year I’m not married!
One year my folks at home are healthy, but the next year there was a silent cardiac arrest for dad!
It has been more of shocks & lows with not many highs for me at 32. But I’m also pretty sure most people have gone through bigger bouts of downs than me. All said, I’m eternally thankful to the almighty for all the lessons taught. As they say, what doesn’t kill you, makes you strong. And as mentioned in the MS Dhoni movie, “the scoreboard keeps moving”. Life has to go on isn’t it?

This purchase has been a depression defeating, self-pampering purchase. I’ve spent too many years asking myself, “do I deserve it?”. What I realised is, you need to summon that Dunkirk spirit and tell yourself, “its ok, go for it. If YOU don’t like yourself, who else will?”

Fortitude? Mettle? Tenacity? Call it whatever you want, it’s the absolute need during an adversarial hour!

The buying experience: Very Short & Straightforward

The R3 retails for an astronomical ₹ 5.5 lakhs OTR Chennai. Our brethren at North-East can get it for as low as 4.8 lakhs I hear! Good for them. Started making a handful of enquiries and got good responses. Within a span of 10 days, I got the deal done and within a further 7 days later, I took delivery. Here are some pictures, taken at each stage:

1. Arrival of the crate from dealer’s yard.

Yamaha YZF R3 Review | The almighty conundrum, solved-arrival.jpeg

2. Unboxing the crate.

Yamaha YZF R3 Review | The almighty conundrum, solved-unboxing-1.jpeg
Attachment 2648521

3. Thorough dusting and washing.

Yamaha YZF R3 Review | The almighty conundrum, solved-cleaning-1.jpeg
Yamaha YZF R3 Review | The almighty conundrum, solved-washing.jpeg

4. PDI as per Yamaha checklist. Three aspects - Physical, mechanical and electronical.

Yamaha YZF R3 Review | The almighty conundrum, solved-pdi.jpeg

5. The OBD was also connected for the first time showing 2 error codes. Nothing worrisome. It was reset quickly and the parameters were checked again. It was all green and good to go! Incidentally, I saw the Quick shifter option in the OBD menu somewhere. So that means the R3 can be quick shifter equipped. It’s just that Yamaha India has decided to not bring it here, while Yamaha UK sells it officially.

Yamaha YZF R3 Review | The almighty conundrum, solved-obd.jpeg

6. Time for delivery of my most expensive possession. There was subtle fanfare like flying confetti, a few hesitant claps from folks around. But I was filled with LOADS of contentment, tears of joy and satisfaction of being over and done with a 4-yr old head ache!

Yamaha YZF R3 Review | The almighty conundrum, solved-delivery.jpeg

Initial riding impressions-

What I heard:

1. The engine is smooth-ish. It’s not Kawasaki smooth and has a smidge of buzz to know its working for you.
2. The engine doesn’t heat up too much, has got decent low-end torque.
3. The fairing design is so good it diverts the hot air around your legs (kind of doubt it).
4. Perfect rider triangle! Not too committed by loading up your spine and hands and not too upright by loading your butt. Just the perfect balance for the 5’ 10”, 77 kg frame like me.
5. Gives you fabulous fuel economy if driven sanely. Typical Yamaha trait! Heck, even the R1 can give you 20 kmpl! Yes yes yes, nobody buys an R1 for fuel efficiency. Still, es fabuloso!!!
6. Emits an orgasmic scream post 7000 rpm going all the way up to 12000+ rpm (yet to test).
7. Isn’t rev shy and truly “revs your heart”. If you know, you know!

What I felt:

Basically, the R3 is supposed to be a non-heating, non-vibrating beast. Let me tell you! IT ISN’T ONE . . . . . . . . . YET!

Drove 11 kms to home after delivery. Didn’t feel anything to be off. The next day, I woke up early morning on a Sunday and I took my first long ride of the bike to Iraniyamman temple at Perungalathur, Chennai. The temple has a female deity to whom motorists (mostly heavy vehicle drivers) offer prayers for a safe journey & protection from accidents.

Nothing uneventful until I got there. But hang on, my funny struggle was just about to unfold. I parked the bike closer to the temple’s entrance. When I removed the keys, it accidentally slipped into the gaping hole around the clip-on handlebars and wedged itself perfectly into the inside part of the left side faring lol. One of the temple shopkeepers came and asked me “what’s up?”. I told him what had happened. He quickly got an iron rod shape like a “S”, located the wedged key and got it out in just 2 minutes. In the process, we both felt the radiator and man it was sizzling hot for a sedate, short 10 km ride from my residence to the temple!

I guess that’s down to the mineral oil, which is incapable of keeping a high revving engine like that sane & cool, which is perfectly understandable (I guess).

Offered my respects to the deity, said my prayers and I was off. Took it for a long-ish spin on the Chennai Outer Ring Road to put it through its paces. In few short bursts of 6500 rpm, it was pulling like a freight train. NEVER CROSSED 100 kph & 6000 rpm for a prolonged period.

Read the user manual about engine break-in. Until 1000 kms, one should not engage in prolonged operation above 6000 rpm. Between 1000 - 1600 kms, one should not engage in prolonged operation above 7200 rpm. From 1601, its locked, loaded and ready to launch!

Coming from a 150 CC FZ, any engine bigger than that is always going to be buzzy and hot for me. So, I’m being cautious with my 2 cents here:

The Bike’s hot (figuratively and literally)

The entire riding experience was mechanically a breeze, but for the searing heat, thanks to the mineral oil. Interestingly, the radiator turned on only 2 times during the entire 110+ kms ride. The fairing is also shaped in such a way the heat is sometimes directed on to the legs! *contrary to what a couple of trusted reviewers said*

As a result, I had to place my feet at the outer edge of the foot pegs and open up my legs like a frog to cool off a few times. I felt the heat despite wearing jeans pants and sports shoes. Also, the petrol tank felt a little warm near the crotch. So, I’m super desperate to complete the first 1000 kms and get rid of this oil for good!

Good Vibes? Not yet. But we’re getting there!

One more aspect that I noted was the buzz. Felt my hands to be too buzzy and took 3 breaks once every 35 kms. What I felt was a tingling sensation in my hands every time I took a break. Was a little worried that the bike isn’t as advertised or criticised by many. Hence when I came home, I took a closer inspection of the bike. Discovered that the bar ends of the clip-ons were loose on both sides! Neither super loose nor negligibly loose. It was medium loose (rotatable by hands) and it needs to be tightened soon as!

But credit where its due – The buzz was barely felt on the fairing, petrol tank & the foot pegs. It was just more on the clip-on handle bars, which I believe must be down to those loose bar ends.

Other Aspects

As for clutch, man its tight for a 300 CC bike! For the uninitiated, Yamaha is not offering slipper clutch in R3! The gearbox though is slick shifting and slots well. Did not get false neutrals.

As for rider triangle, I felt zero tiredness for the short 110 km ride. My palm was just baby pink in colour cos the posture is a tinge more committed than my FZ and that’s super fine. Legs felt a bit more crouched than I wanted. But my body can and should adapt to this!

As for fuel economy, it showed an overall 5.5 liters per 100 kms (18 kmpl in city driving) until the first 11 kms.

After the 110 kms longer ride, it came up to 3.3 liters per 100 kms (30 kmpl in highways).

Took it to my workplace, which is a 70-km spin in mixed conditions. Its easily averaging around 2.8 – 3.5 liters per 100 kms (33 kmpl in mixed conditions). This is Admirable and as expected!

Suspension comfort - Although non-adjustable, its tuned to provide the perfect parity of giving track-side stiffness and touring-ready plushness. Just found the sweet spot there! It glides over small potholes and has adequate ground clearance for bigger bumps too.

Finally, the brakes - The disc was smooth and the pads were new. So, I felt no brake bite until I crossed the first 50 kms or so on the ODO. But now I get a feel for the brake bite and it seems sufficient & predictable.

Couple of things the reviewers won’t tell you (Source: the R3 user manual) –

1. Lean angle sensor: The R3 comes equipped with a lean angle sensor, where it stops the engine in case of a turnover. In case you want to turn the bike on again, you should turn the main switch off and then on. Otherwise, the engine will crank, but won’t start.

2. Engine Auto-stop system: The engine stops automatically if left idling for 20 minutes.

Overall this is a bike that finishes 2nd best in everything you throw at it. Don’t think, just buy!

Service intervals:

Here comes the part where Yamaha gets zero publicity and I think that’s unfair! The first service is at 1000 kms. All the subsequent services come at a 10000-km / 6-month interval (whichever is earlier). The best part – Its FREE SERVICES for the 1000 kms, 10000 kms, 20000 kms service intervals which needs to be done at 60 days, 180 days and 365 days respectively!

Saw a video of Youtuber whose BS6 black R3 costed him under ₹ 2500 for the first free service at 1000 kms!!! That’s some sterling stuff innit’? Further, I sat with the service centre team to understand the pricing of a few important spares for the R3:

1. Chain sprocket set - ₹ 6000
2. Fairing - ₹ 6000 per side
3. Front brake pads – ₹ 3000
4. Rear brake pads – ₹ 1000
5. Engine oil & oil filter– All nominally priced as usual.
6. Forgot to ask about the air filter. Bummer! Anyway, it’s a once every 10000 kms replacement part. So not worried

Vahan registration – Sought a Fancy number:

The process is a straight forward one in Tamil Nadu state. If you inform your showroom that you’re going to take a fancy number, they give you an RTO disclaimer paper. Take that to your residence’s nearest RTO along with your Aadhar copy.

They show you the running number series. From this, you can choose any available number within 1000 numbers. For example, if the starting number in the running series is TN 11 BM 4501, then you can choose any available number until TN 11 BM 5501. Normal fancy numbers like 8055, 4848, 5001 etc. are like ₹ 2000. Super fancy numbers like the 1000s and the single digit ones require special permission from the TN Secretariat along with payment of ₹ 40,000 lol. I kid you not.

So here’s what you do - First you pay ₹ 300 as flag day contribution. It goes to our army veterans I hear. After this they allocate a number of your choice and generate a user name and password for you to make a payment of ₹ 2000 in Parivahan portal.

Login with the credentials, make the ₹ 2000 payment, generate a payment receipt in the same portal and show it to the RTO there and share it with your showroom. Essentially what you have done is you booked a fancy number. The rest of the registration process is normal, which the showroom takes care of.

The Evil eye:

Call me superstitious or whatever, I believe in evil eye! I put my bike down once already! Yikes! Almost suffered a cardiac arrest. But the gods are watching. No frame sliders installed yet. However, the bike escaped relatively unscathed. The R3 sticker had a portion of it torn off. I hope it will be the bike’s only scar for the rest of its life!

How it fell – The weight distribution is too perfect and there’s no grab bar. I lifted the bike off its side stand rather enthusiastically and tilted it a little too much on the opposite side! It promptly fell down, albeit super slow thanks to my reflexes. They were quick to tell me “it was at this moment he knew, he messed up”. Within a span of 2 seconds the bike fell, but slowly. Luckily the clip-ons and turn blinkers did not hit the ground! Still figuring out how that is possible!!!

A tip that I will follow from now to avoid a bike fall while maneuvering it: Sit on it with the side stand still on. Remove the stand after sitting and continue maneuvering it to the desired position. Man, I badly need a pillion grab bar.

Upgrades planned:

1. Must get a rear tyre hugger to escape the elephant-style self-slinging of mud.
2. Must get a front bumper extender to protect the down pipes, oil filter and radiator from getting muddy. OR
3. Must get an affordable down pipe grill. Damn they’re expensive everywhere!
4. Must fit OEM Frame Sliders (import from UK. Need some help please)
5. Must fit OEM Quick Shifter (import from UK. Need some help please)
6. PPF for fuel tank and fairing.
7. An LCD screen guard.
8. A metal cover to protect the rear disc brake’s reservoir container from mud.
9. To retrofit the MT15 grab bar onto the R3. Will come in super handy as I have something to hold on to while I pivot the bike on its side stand while parking. The grab bar’s mounting points in both MT15 & R3, are similar, but not same since the screw head seems very different. Need to research about it to understand the feasibility.
10. Get the R6 throttle tube - It elevates the R3's acceleration by many notches I hear! Basically, the R6 throttle tube provides lesser rotation requirement to wring the throttle’s full range.

Zero mechanical mods & electrical mods in my mind. See how specific I was, even about the hazard lights being stock! So, for me, no ECU flashing, no engine oil grade fiddling, no coolant grade fiddling, no performance air filters, no velocity stacks & no exhaust upgrade, even if it is a homologated full system Akrapovic one which is available in the USA. I wouldn’t even get a tail tidy and worry about its legality in India.

My ride shall be bone frigging stock with utilitarian upgrades only as enlisted above. One temptation I find difficult to stay away from is upgrading the hideous single tone horn! Sheesh, it’s horrendous yet loud and functional! The fear of losing warranty for the electricals keeps me thinking and I’m not sure. Want to fit the old Pulsar 220 / R15 dual horn.

The future

Keep a tab on this article. I’m yet to receive a courier from Yamaha. They give a starter kit which consists of a can of RS4GP oil, Yamaha T-shirt, Valentino Rossi style Oakley sunglasses, PVR Gift card worth 3K, Extended warranty & RSA. As for MT03, they give a Casio-G watch instead of the Sunglasses. The other 5 items are the same. Will share pictures of the unboxing as soon as I get it.

More ownership experiences will be updated as promptly as possible. A ton of thanks to all those who read every word this far. I hope to give you all good pointers in deciding about purchasing your very own R3. Trust me, you can never go wrong with an R3! Tips, tricks, hacks to maintain the bike are welcome. I’m all ears. Love & Peace to all.

Best,
V.Max

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 31st August 2024 at 10:00. Reason: Excess smileys
V.Max is offline   (56) Thanks
Old 31st August 2024, 11:59   #2
BHPian

Re: Yamaha YZF R3 Review | The almighty conundrum, solved

Hey buddy! Congratulations on your ride Wishing you millions of safe miles on your machine. I am kind of in the same boat and back story as you. I ride a CB Hornet 160R as of now. It's gonna stay with me for a while more maybe a year or two but my planned upgrade is for the Aprilia RS457. R3 is very tempting for me as well but I don't see the price justification at my end. Perhaps I'll change my mind but till then I'll just drool and dream of owning one.

Also, get some riding gear upgrades as well if you are planning on a good ownership. Just adding in because I didn't see it mentioned anywhere on the review.

Cheers!
chiefpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2024, 13:33   #3
BHPian

Congrats on the new bike !

As others have mentioned do get some good riding gear before embarking on any long rides.

The R3 was a bike I looked at closely but by the time I wanted to buy one in 2019 end it was discontinued and no stock was to be found anywhere.
bf1983 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2024, 11:31   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Max View Post
Continuing from where I left:

This was my first article in this mega forum: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...5-5-lakhs.html (The Almighty Conundrum - 2nd motorcycle for 5.5 lakhs)

For the above thread, I got great responses which helped me solve my almost 4-yr enigma! So, welcome one, welcome all into the initial impressions, buying & ownership experience of my first Supersports bike - The BS6 / Euro 5 Yamaha YZF R3 (Icon Blue), a CBU Import from the land of 1000 islands - Indonesia!
Many Congratulations on acquiring the R3! Really happy to know that you also happen to be a fellow Chennaitte ! This thread is probably going to be followed by me religiously in someways, with the YZF-R3 being my dream motorcycle, which I am saving up rigorously for as we speak inspite of all negative press surrounding it (the ones regarding the pricing I do agree with, but heart over head always when it comes to the dream!).

Quote:

So anyway, why the R3:

1. Low service cost (explained later). Spares availability for R3/MT03 is unknown though.
2. More than 300 blue square outlets Pan India. So atleast 200+ service outlets too?
3. Superb engine. Worst case, it buzzes a bit. But never vibrates.
4. Excellent fuel efficiency when driven sanely (35 kmpl in the highway)
5. Doesn’t heat up too much in city.
6. Sufficient ground clearance.
7. Has hazard lights, which the RS 457 & Ninja 300 do not offer. Yes, it’s important to me and I want it as a stock fitment in my bike. Not interested in messing with the electricals by adding the Simtac units.
Very much like you, I too take the cost of ownership into account. Reliability, a beautifully tuned engine that doesn't cost a bomb to maintain and can be daily ridden everyday if I want to is what I look for the most.

Quote:
One can trust me on merit as well since I’m not a Yamaha fan! I like Yamaha. But I wasn’t a fan and isn’t a fan of the brand. I’m just someone who appreciates a well put together package (case in point the R3). The OEMs I tested above are the ones I REALLY RESPECT. There is no brand hatred per se on my part here.
I will be honest, slightly unlike you, I do have a certain degree of bias towards Yamaha or Japanese in general. My 1.8 year old 2022 R15M (pre-TFT display) which just clocked 21k today, which I chose as my first motorcycle, I guess is to blame too. You can read my review and track day experience on it and you will get the idea as to why I am so much in love with. So I guess you can imagine, when the price for your dream motorcycle is this high, it did break my heart a lot more due to that slight bias I have. Nevertheless, its still the dream, and one which I am willing to pursue.

As others have mentioned, do invest in riding gear too. Do keep us updated. As mentioned above, I will be really following this thread until I can acquire one for myself hopefully in the next couple of years or so.

Ride Safe!
R15M_Rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2024, 17:31   #5
BHPian

Is heating issue really that bad for a 300cc engine. I have a similar heating issue with panigale 959 but thats a different monster. My CBR250 has never ever given me heating issues in 14yrs of ownership. You spent all that time researching and R3's heating issue never came up ? And with all these available options you mentioned R3 doesn't really seem like an upgrade. After reading your article I could figure out that the main reason for you choosing this bike was service costs post purchase and fuel economy. Are these costs for Aprilia 457 (1st free Rs. 3000, 2nd free service : Rs. 5000 ) that prohibitive that you had to decide on an outdated motorcycle, given its price ? I am in the market for a 400-600cc daily runner bike and R3 was not even in my consideration. Aprilia 457 seems like a better choice.
Old 1st September 2024, 20:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations. It does take quite some forte to invest 500k on an R3, but sometimes it's always heart over mind and I sincerely wish you more happy miles, trouble free ownership and fuss free servicing. Do keep this updated, it definitely shall get more insights on the finer aspects of the bike. Good luck and ride safe.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2024, 00:17   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefpk View Post
Hey buddy! Congratulations on your ride Wishing you millions of safe miles on your machine. I am kind of in the same boat and back story as you. I ride a CB Hornet 160R as of now. It's gonna stay with me for a while more maybe a year or two but my planned upgrade is for the Aprilia RS457. R3 is very tempting for me as well but I don't see the price justification at my end. Perhaps I'll change my mind but till then I'll just drool and dream of owning one.

Also, get some riding gear upgrades as well if you are planning on a good ownership. Just adding in because I didn't see it mentioned anywhere on the review.

Cheers!

Hey man, thank you for your wishes. Remember to just say your prayers and hang in there. All your difficult times shall vanish! The RS457 is a real beast and by the time you buy, you will have more user data to consider if its just good or simply awesome! As for the R3, it has a legendary status and will remain a potent tool, but for the price. But, at that price, I get mental peace that its a Yamaha with a proven track record in INDIA. Not many OEMs can say that in my opinion.

Kindly suggest good riding gears, helmet and gloves (all put together 10-15k) if you can. Would like to invest in them seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf1983 View Post
Congrats on the new bike !

As others have mentioned do get some good riding gear before embarking on any long rides.

The R3 was a bike I looked at closely but by the time I wanted to buy one in 2019 end it was discontinued and no stock was to be found anywhere.
Since the R3 is available now, you can get it . But its quite a task to compel yourself to invest that level of money as it has serious competition now! Certain aspects like brand commitment, global model track record, ASS etc take center stage for me. So, I wont risk much by investing in the unknown. Thats just me! Kindly suggest good riding gears, helmet and gloves (all put together 10-15k) if you can. Would like to invest in them seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R15M_Rider View Post
Many Congratulations on acquiring the R3! Really happy to know that you also happen to be a fellow Chennaitte ! This thread is probably going to be followed by me religiously in someways, with the YZF-R3 being my dream motorcycle, which I am saving up rigorously for as we speak inspite of all negative press surrounding it (the ones regarding the pricing I do agree with, but heart over head always when it comes to the dream!).

Very much like you, I too take the cost of ownership into account. Reliability, a beautifully tuned engine that doesn't cost a bomb to maintain and can be daily ridden everyday if I want to is what I look for the most.

I will be honest, slightly unlike you, I do have a certain degree of bias towards Yamaha or Japanese in general. My 1.8 year old 2022 R15M (pre-TFT display) which just clocked 21k today, which I chose as my first motorcycle, I guess is to blame too. You can read my review and track day experience on it and you will get the idea as to why I am so much in love with. So I guess you can imagine, when the price for your dream motorcycle is this high, it did break my heart a lot more due to that slight bias I have. Nevertheless, its still the dream, and one which I am willing to pursue.

As others have mentioned, do invest in riding gear too. Do keep us updated. As mentioned above, I will be really following this thread until I can acquire one for myself hopefully in the next couple of years or so.

Ride Safe!
Hi machi, thank you for the shout out! Most of Yamaha's premium offerings are well received in TN for some reason. In fact, TN has 15-20% of all blue square outlets pan India if I'm not mistaken. So, we folks are comfortable getting their premium bikes! Also, a CKD line erection is in progress at the Chennai factory. Expecting great news soon!

A sane person cannot hate Yamaha and I understand your bias and the unfiltered honesty! R15 is the global 150cc benchmark and you should feel exclusive about it too, irrespective of how many folks own it. I will check your reviews soon! Kindly suggest good riding gears, helmet and gloves (all put together 10-15k) if you can. Would like to invest in them seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancer6202 View Post
You spent all that time researching and R3's heating issue never came up ? And with all these available options you mentioned R3 doesn't really seem like an upgrade. After reading your article I could figure out that the main reason for you choosing this bike was service costs post purchase and fuel economy. Are these costs for Aprilia 457 (1st free Rs. 3000, 2nd free service : Rs. 5000 ) that prohibitive that you had to decide on an outdated motorcycle, given its price ? I am in the market for a 400-600cc daily runner bike and R3 was not even in my consideration. Aprilia 457 seems like a better choice.
Was fully aware of R3's engine behavior. Update after I crossed 500 kms today - the heat was absolutely tolerable. Wasn't unlike how I felt in the first 200 kms. With an oil change scheduled soon, there will be barely any heat after that.

R3 is not as outdated as it is brandished in my opinion. For example, KTM have updated their global sub 400c c range only once every 5 years. People don't complain at all. Similarly for R3, the last update was in 2019 and it was first introduced in 2015 as you know.

The 2019 update was a massive one cos the design was a complete overhaul (more aerodynamic) at the front, all LEDs, KYB USD forks, Dunlops and an LCD screen. All are absolutely dated for that time. True that Yamaha take time to update. But when they do, they do it properly.

A known devil is better than an unknown angel. The unknowns of Aprilia are too much and I have waited too long as well to wait for its long term reviews. And, my financial position doesn't let me take the risks of investing in a performance centric bike from a new factory of a brand with a globally questionable service quality (heard too much from global reviews already and in India even the Scooters range of Aprilia do not get good service treatment).

My intention is to get a garage filled with 3 or 4 bikes which are all 1-bike-garage. RS 457 can never be one cos it wont let me tour on it with that fuel small tank range of 270 kms and that committed riding position. The R3 has given a range of 400 kms just today and I felt zero fatigue after a 4 hr non stop ride.

I have clearly admitted that i put more focus on the cost of ownership. So I've picked something that aligns in line with my priorities. I want fun, but not expensive fun. So R3 is a snug fit there.

Just saw that the stock brake pads of RS 457 are costing 6000, while their race brake pads are 10,000. I'm not super rich to afford even the stock brake pads lol. So, for me peace of mind and affordability takes prime position. Aprilia always had 125 cc & 150 cc bikes in their portfolio. But they did not bother making or introducing them here. So, I see a lack of trust on their part in India, which I have mutually reciprocated.

Performance need not come at a price. Yamaha have certainly proved it by giving both power and efficiency at good measure. And this is the best upgrade for me personally.
Coming from a 14 bhp single cylinder 155cc FZS, a 42 bhp twin cylinder 321 cc with linear acceleration fits my bill perfectly i'd say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
Congratulations. It does take quite some forte to invest 500k on an R3, but sometimes it's always heart over mind and I sincerely wish you more happy miles, trouble free ownership and fuss free servicing. Do keep this updated, it definitely shall get more insights on the finer aspects of the bike. Good luck and ride safe.

Cheers!
VJ
Thank you very much Vijay san. Its the ownership experience which I focus more on! The more affordable it is, more I'm into it. Hope its fuss free as you have wished me. Will absolutely keep updating as we go along.
V.Max is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2024, 12:24   #8
BHPian

Quote:

A known devil is better than an unknown angel. The unknowns of Aprilia are too much and I have waited too long as well to wait for its long term reviews. And, my financial position doesn't let me take the risks of investing in a performance centric bike from a new factory of a brand with a globally questionable service quality (heard too much from global reviews already and in India even the Scooters range of Aprilia do not get good service treatment).
While I do agree RS457 comes with a better package in comparison to R3, I have doubts on how well the service centre is equipped to handle this level of an advanced machine.

I have dealt with Piaggio service. If there is something below worse, I would rate them that. They are not equipped to handle a scooter. At the max, they will push you to replace the parts. For instance, the side stand of Vespa VXL costs 2100 rs. Some sparts even after constant follow up, never make it to the service centre from factory. And the spare parts are not available at local shops as well.

This may be different in other parts of the country. But this is the current state of affair in Chennai and Hosur.

Secondly, R3's are known to be comfortable for distances upto 700 kms easily. I personally know someone from this forum who does that frequently.

May be not to the extend of Adventure machine level comfort but many R3 owners can vouch for its mile munching capability. I doubt RS457 can do that if one decides to tour on it.
Vignesh_N/A is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2024, 13:21   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Kindly suggest good riding gears, helmet and gloves (all put together 10-15k) if you can. Would like to invest in them seriously.
I haven't personally used these but a few friends have used them so I have no qualms suggesting them.

Rynox Cypher GT ~5k
Rynox Air GT Pants ~ 6k
Rynox AIR GT Gloves ~ 2.7k

I am sure you already have a helmet so not suggesting there. Otherwise a decent SMK/Axor helmet should start you out fine.

Boots are a bit expensive so for the time being you can wear shoes till you can save up for a decent pair of boots. Orazo boots are quite reasonably priced around 5k.

Yes safety does cost a bit but you it's a LOT cheaper than crashing without any gear. The jacket is mesh so while you will fry in hot weather when standing still the moment you start riding it will be cool especially in Chennai where the humidity is high.

Also I got a good deal on a Z650 thanks to the BS4 norms being phased out so I paid as much as your R3 for the bike.
bf1983 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2024, 20:40   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vignesh_N/A View Post
While I do agree RS457 comes with a better package in comparison to R3, I have doubts on how well the service centre is equipped to handle this level of an advanced machine.

I have dealt with Piaggio service. If there is something below worse, I would rate them that. They are not equipped to handle a scooter. At the max, they will push you to replace the parts. For instance, the side stand of Vespa VXL costs 2100 rs. Some sparts even after constant follow up, never make it to the service centre from factory. And the spare parts are not available at local shops as well.

This may be different in other parts of the country. But this is the current state of affair in Chennai and Hosur.

Secondly, R3's are known to be comfortable for distances upto 700 kms easily. I personally know someone from this forum who does that frequently.

May be not to the extend of Adventure machine level comfort but many R3 owners can vouch for its mile munching capability. I doubt RS457 can do that if one decides to tour on it.
This is exactly my worry - Aprilia's iffy service. Here's me hoping that they're gonna absolutely rock it with the 457. 5.3 lakhs OTR Chennai for a new machine is a big investment. I wish the 457 owners a superb experience.
But am personally not the one to risk it. So, my fears have already been validated here. Ofcourse its not representative of the lot, but certainly indicative of what one can see coming !

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf1983 View Post
I haven't personally used these but a few friends have used them so I have no qualms suggesting them.

Rynox Cypher GT ~5k
Rynox Air GT Pants ~ 6k
Rynox AIR GT Gloves ~ 2.7k

I am sure you already have a helmet so not suggesting there. Otherwise a decent SMK/Axor helmet should start you out fine.

Boots are a bit expensive so for the time being you can wear shoes till you can save up for a decent pair of boots. Orazo boots are quite reasonably priced around 5k.

Yes safety does cost a bit but you it's a LOT cheaper than crashing without any gear. The jacket is mesh so while you will fry in hot weather when standing still the moment you start riding it will be cool especially in Chennai where the humidity is high.

Also I got a good deal on a Z650 thanks to the BS4 norms being phased out so I paid as much as your R3 for the bike.
Thanx for the suggestions bruh. Will do my research on these. I've actually got a bate bones helmet. Nothing worthy of even mentioning here. Need to dig into that world of Safety gear.
Lucky you got a sweet deal on the z650. My next upgrade is set on an inline 4 with a 600-800cc sub 10 lakhs price bracket. Any ideas ??
Old 2nd September 2024, 20:47   #11

Congratulations Vmax!! When I read your post, I felt that you have taken my mind and put that on paper.. I really mean it because I had the same choices and my last choices were Ninja 300/400/500. Being middle aged & 5'5 height, I was looking for a lightweight twin, mechanically sound machine. Have been following R3 from 2019.Got one of the first delivery of this black 2024 R3 end of feb/early march in bangalore. Have done about 3500 kms. Have taken some on couple of long drives blr-erode. What a machine this is. Completely effortless tourer. Only comparison of this vehicle is that movie character of Anniyan/aparachit. Below 4k RPM, it will be like ambi. from 4k-7K it will be super cool to amble around like Remo. After 7-8K RPM, it will be a real anniyan.

Completely agree on the service. I have completed 2 services. 1st Service was about 4K because I had opted for MotoGP Oil. If you go with Yamalube, it will be around 2K. I had shock of life seeing 2nd service bill Rs.720/-. Even my bicycle service costs way more than that.

Want to resonate the same problem, absolutely no accessories anywhere. I have got a rackless bags for touring. Happy Riding this mechanical miracle.

Last edited by Eddy : 2nd September 2024 at 20:59. Reason: Spacing for better readability
Kilometeor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2024, 10:45   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilometeor View Post
Congratulations Vmax!! When I read your post, I felt that you have taken my mind and put that on paper. Only comparison of this vehicle is that movie character of Anniyan/aparachit. Below 4k RPM, it will be like ambi. from 4k-7K it will be super cool to amble around like Remo. After 7-8K RPM, it will be a real anniyan.

Completely agree on the service. I have completed 2 services. 1st Service was about 4K because I had opted for MotoGP Oil. If you go with Yamalube, it will be around 2K. I had shock of life seeing 2nd service bill Rs.720/-. Even my bicycle service costs way more than that.

Want to resonate the same problem, absolutely no accessories anywhere. I have got a rackless bags for touring. Happy Riding this mechanical miracle.
Thank you so much Mr. Kilometeor. I'm glad to find someone in the same mind space as I am. Love your Anniyan analogy too cos its damn true! I guess the R3 is for people with an acquired taste. I say this without any kind of superiority complex! Most R3 folks resonate same thoughts and vibe along real fast.

By the way, your service costs are phenomenal! Rs. 720 for second service

If possible, kindly answer a few questions -
1. Could you please tell us what they billed you i 2nd service ? I hear air filter needs to be changed at 10k. Did you do it?
2. Did you fiddle with rear suspension pre-load levels?
2. Whats your fuel efficiency ? &
3. Is there any improvement in engine heat before and after first service? With 500 on the odo, its tolerable for me now. Hoping to see the heat simmer down significantly when i give it the RS4GP oil at 1st change.
Old 3rd September 2024, 12:41   #13

Quote:
Thank you so much Mr. Kilometeor. I'm glad to find someone in the same mind space as I am. Love your Anniyan analogy too cos its damn true! I guess the R3 is for people with an acquired taste. I say this without any kind of superiority complex! Most R3 folks resonate same thoughts and vibe along real fast.

By the way, your service costs are phenomenal! Rs. 720 for second service
1. 1st service, they changed the engine oil and oil filter. 2nd service was only checking of oil levels, lubricants, chain lube and basic washing. No changing of air filters involved in 2nd service. They said it will be 1 year or 10k Kms that will be done.

2. No, I want to keep my R3 almost stock because suspension has been perfectly tuned for both road and offroad. Even though it is not an offroad machine because of Front Upside down suspension riding feel is fantastic. During bad patches of roads I do mild saddling and that's about it. Also, I have done enough circus with my previous bikes modifying/tuning suspensions. This One will remain stock.

3. FE is interesting top. I haven't exactly measured. However I have got about 30-32kmpl in highway with around 90-110 kmph speed. In city, it drops to around 20-24kmpl because I use it for my daily office ride

4. Engine Heat does exists, but it's not a blocker or hit your legs badly. I have accepted the fact that it's a twin and we cannot avoid heat. Since I wear shoes and jeans/riding pants almost all times I don't feel them. Since I have motoGP oil, it's not bad.

In Summary, R3 has been sculpted close to perfection for what it offers. Please enjoy it as is.
Kilometeor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2024, 15:22   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilometeor View Post

2. No, I want to keep my R3 almost stock because suspension has been perfectly tuned for both road and offroad. Even though it is not an offroad machine because of Front Upside down suspension riding feel is fantastic. During bad patches of roads I do mild saddling and that's about it. Also, I have done enough circus with my previous bikes modifying/tuning suspensions. This One will remain stock.

In Summary, R3 has been sculpted close to perfection for what it offers. Please enjoy it as is.
I have to agree on keeping the bike stock. Glad we are on the same page. If you read my planned upgrades in the original post you will see what I have in my mind. I will make mods without messing with the bike's character. They are more intended to make it even more perfect.

As for suspension, please check your tool kit under your seat. It has 2 unique tools, which help you adjust the sag level of the suspension. Since our R3 comes with pre-load adjustable rear suspension, we can make it more comfy for touring by choosing Level 1(the softest setting) or level 7 (the hardest setting) in case we take it to the track. I understand you (much like myself) are fine the stock setting of Level 4. So, all good there!

Thank you for your prompt response sirji!
Old 4th September 2024, 03:41   #15
BHPian

Congratulations on your new bike, mate. Happy and safe revving. I owned R15 V3 a year ago, it was a real machine and enjoyed a lot. I had to sell it due to personal reasons. Now, I’m just reading bike reviews and daydreaming. I’m mostly on the same mindset as yours when it comes to the section of the bike. I will soon create an opportunity to own R3. Thanks for the detailed post.

Cheers!
safe_rider is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks