Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2024, 16:26   #16

Re: The Joy of Solo Riding

Hello Kamathmaam!
Brilliant write-up. Also, love your style of writing. Indeed, Riding solo is a liberating experience. You are at your best of Attention and Thinking. Plus, as GTO mentioned, it's the best time to think and strategize. I recently rode Bangalore-Manipal solo. Must say, enjoyed every bit.
Attached Thumbnails
The Joy of Solo Riding-bimmer-ride.jpg  

Invstamith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2024, 16:35   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
Yes. Those yester years are so nostalgic.. When you mentioned your Kinetic Honda ride, I am reminded of my Kinetic Honda ride with my cousin as pillion in 1992 from Mangalore to Chennai via Bengaluru. It was an epic ride and the Kinetic Honda broke into 2 pieces on return to Mangalore. The heavy luggage placed on the front foot space on that ride just broken the scooter into 2 pieces. That's another story for another day
Since we are discussing Kinetic Honda, my friend's (more than a friend, have known him for 36 years) one was RED, apart from Goa, countless trips to Mangalore, done and dusted Manipal to Bangalore twice riding it.

It is still there with my friend, but grounded due to the pollution norms of the NCR. I reside in the South West extreme of Delhi, he resides in East Delhi. Even though we speak to each other on the phone practically every day, but happen to visit his residence once in three to four months. The pair of us, stand next to the scooter and recall the trips we have done on it.
ALTIMAed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2024, 11:49   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by su1978 View Post
All in all it was a wonderful experience. The joy of doing what i always wanted to do without anyone asking questions was an awesome experience. Stopping at roadside trucker dhaba and having the awesome food sitting on the cot was a memory to remember for a lifetime.

Otherwise, the memories that i carry in my mind are priceless and will be cherished for a long time.
Awesome. your post made a great read.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and I strongly believe that your experience deserves it's own thread and more viewership.

Please do post more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALTIMAed View Post
Murdeshwar / Bhatkal / Kumta / Karwar / Madgaon rang a lot of memory bells from my college days (1988 - 1992), at Manipal, the memorable trips on my trusty Kawasaki Bajaj RTZ Delta to Goa.

Those were the days - riding during the day time as well as night. One of the Goa rode trips was done on my friend's Kinetic Honda!!
Yup, those were the days, a different era, different machine, different road condition.

And then every season and every era brings it's own charm and challenges. Thanks for making me nostalgic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invstamith View Post
Hello Kamathmaam!
Brilliant write-up. Also, love your style of writing. Indeed, Riding solo is a liberating experience.

I recently rode Bangalore-Manipal solo. Must say, enjoyed every bit.
Amith, you should try and explore new routes, unknown places.

Weekend overnight rides should be great to start with. Try Tamilnadu and Kerala. Great food, great people and lots to explore

And, with the fantastic motorcycle you ride, you should ride all over India

Last edited by ashkamath : 28th August 2024 at 11:53.
Old 30th August 2024, 11:26   #19

Great travelog sir!!!

your writing made me feel the experience you had, probably because it took me back to my college days when I used to ride more than today (today, Ride = Activa to grocery shopping).
Blue_Silver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2024, 16:30   #20
BHPian

My last solo trip was in 2019. Since then, a group of us got together and we started riding regularly, this peaked in 2021 but since then, other priorities have meant that only 2-3 of us ride together at any time. But I think I will start riding solo more often now, there is a certain charm to it that no amount of group dynamics can match.
jaganm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2024, 20:10   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Silver View Post
Great travelog sir!!!

your writing made me feel the experience you had, probably because it took me back to my college days when I used to ride more than today (today, Ride = Activa to grocery shopping).
Glad you enjoyed the write up. A Honda Activa is a capable scooter to ride long distance. More than a decade ago, I rode my 2007 model Honda Activa from Bangalore to Goa via Mangalore, a distance of about 700 Kms. I didn't have proper gloves those days and I used cotton gloves to protect my hand from sun.

I have one photo of that ride, when I stopped by the beach at Trasi or is it Maravante ? (Between Kundapur and Byndoor on coastal Karnataka) for a tender coconut water drink. This is the famous spot where there's river on one side of the road and the sea on the other side of the road. This was before the present six laning the highway. Now that earlier charm has gone. The local coastal Karnataka TBhpians will know this spot very well.

There is a Tata Indica in the image as well. Those days Indicas were everywhere. This must be 2010 or thereabouts I guess

The Joy of Solo Riding-470828_10150874032138440_192810370_o0101.jpeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaganm View Post
My last solo trip was in 2019. But I think I will start riding solo more often now, there is a certain charm to it that no amount of group dynamics can match.
Great to hear your perspective. Group ride has its merits. Room rent, food expenses gets reduced / divided. There's always someone looking after your back, there's a feeling of confidence and safety in group. You don't even have to take a decision in group rides. Solo is different. The buck stops at you. You make it happen or not. The rewards are your confidence & decision making power increases a lot.
Ride safe.

Last edited by ashkamath : 30th August 2024 at 20:20.
ashkamath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2024, 21:15   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
I say “Fine, where is the vessel?”.
He says something that does not register, I say anyway ”Okie, Let's do it”.
Next day Monday he calls again to confirm. “Ashok the vessel is in Shiroor, and scheduled to be launched on 04th, So you need to inspect it ASAP”, Hmmmm Ok. That is 3 days, and I say without thinking, “I will be there on 03rd June "
What survey was it?

Quote:
By this time, it is so hot that I am drenched totally inside outside all side, I gladly remove my helmet and jacket and go to meet the yard owner. Mr. Shankar Mesta a very senior and well known name in boat building industry in the Konkan coast and there he is on the boat, giving directions to his staff about some machinery fitment. He is aware of my arrival and we shake hands and exchange pleasantries and he announces that my customer, the boat owner (from Vasco) is on the way from Goa to Shiroor and I need to wait for a while.
I remember going to some place after Bhatkal to see a Trawler many years ago. My brother had supplied the equipment for it.

Quote:
A wooden boat costs about Rs. 35 Lakh to build ( Hull / bare boat only) and with machinery and accessories cost close to Rs. 80 lakh and with Net on board is worth about Rs. 1.25 Crore.
That's some serious investment.

BTW, I also owned a Duke 390 for some time.
pedrolourenco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2024, 21:25   #23
Senior - BHPian

Very well written. I agree with your feeling of liberation when you set out solo. Also agree with GTO that solo ride/ drives allows one to connect with self and have unobstructed train of thoughts. For me it is this time with self that I love in the Solo rides.

I also used to have a 2013 Duke 390 and have done some solo rides from Bangalore including Wayanad and Ooty. However the biggest one was Bangalore to Mumbai via Goa over 3 days caused by unscheduled break, bike failure and NH66.

And as I write this, I came on a solo ride on Wednesday from Bombay to Goa and will be returning tmrw.

Last edited by MileCruncher : 30th August 2024 at 21:27.
MileCruncher is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2024, 21:40   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
What survey was that?

That's some serious investment.
I am a Marine Hull Surveyor..

It was a brand new vessel..So, there were dual surveys.
1. Survey of the vessel for seaworthiness for the Fisheries department of Goa
2. Valuation survey for the insurance company to provide the insurance cover for the vessel.

And yes, a steel purse seine fishing vessel costs upward of INR 2 crores now. That's some serious investment on a business..
ashkamath is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks