Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2024, 22:24   #1
Team-BHP Support

BSA Gold Star 650 | Launch and First look

BSA Gold Star 650 | Launch and First look

History and Heritage

The Birmingham Small Arms Company - or BSA - as we popularly know it, is certainly a name that brings back a rush of nostalgia for anyone who's followed motorcycles in the last century. Originally manufacturing arms and ammunition, it set up its motorcycle division in 1903 with its first motorcycle following in 1910.

Around the time of WW II, the company had gone on to produce 1,26,334 motorcycles for the war - all of them, the M20s. By the 1950s, BSA had grown to become the largest motorcycle manufacturing company in the world. At one point, one in every four motorcycles was a BSA. That legacy was also carried on into the world of racing, with BSA machines garnering several speed records to its credit.

The magic was not to last sadly and by the late 60s / early 70s, the brand was on the brink of bankruptcy with formal closure sometime in 1973. The legacy they left behind however was undoubtable, and one that the Mahindra-backed Classic Legends is looking to resurrect and capitalise on with its 2016 acquisition of the brand along with other classics like the Jawa and Yezdi.

Classic Legends has already launched the resurrected Gold Star 650 in international markets a little over a year ago. However, some legal issues around the use of the BSA name in India meant that its journey from Birmingham to Bharat just took a little bit longer to complete, with the launch finally happening on 15th August this week.

Mr. Anand Mahindra was himself present on the occasion and highlighted the significance of the acquisition of the brand by Classic Legends. From being the one that nearly got away, to closing the deal in 48 hours made for an interesting tidbit for the attendees. Also speaking about the bike were two veterans of British motorcycling - former racer and journalist Alan Cathcart and the Museum Director of the world-renowned National Motorcycle Museum, James Hewing. Last but not the least of course, were the trio who are the face of Classic Legends, Anupam Thareja, Boman Irani and Ashish Singh Joshi along with the key development team who were involved in resurrecting the model in its present-day avatar.

The Gold Star 650

The selected steed for reintroducing this erstwhile legend is the single-cylinder Gold Star 650, which will take the fight to its closest competitor, the parallel twin-powered Royal Enfield Interceptor 650. While resurrecting the Gold Star 650, the clear intent was to lean back to its heritage and ensure that they deliver a “ton-up” motorcycle - i.e. one that can tip over beyond 163 km/h (100 mph) in keeping with the legendary twin gold stars that the model won back in its racing days.

The bike has been designed by a British-led team of Redline Studios with engineering by Ricardo and engine expertise from the Technical University of Graz, heavily repurposing a Rotax engine (historically a Euro 2 compliant engine) to bring together this single-cylinder 650 to life. If your riding pedigree goes back long enough, you might recall a certain BMW Fundoro 650 that was launched in the late 90s sporting that very Rotax engine.

Technical Specs

Coming to the bike itself, it is touted as the largest single-cylinder bike in India, although I reckon that mantle technically belongs to the recently launched Ducati Hypermotard 698 Mono. The bike sports Brembo twin-piston floating callipers in the front and single-piston floating callipers at the rear, both with dual-channel ABS. It has aluminium excel rims and the same Pirelli Sports tyres that can be found on the international offering.

The 652 cc liquid-cooled engine pushes out 55Nm torque and 45.6 PS, figures that hover around the same zip code as the Interceptor 650, being a smidgeon down on power from the latter and a hint up on the torque. It is claimed that about 60% of the torque is made as low down as 2000 RPM so expect the bike to deliver decent power from the word go with excellent low end tractability. Power and torque delivery is also claimed to be very linear so it should be interesting as to what kind of riding experience the Gold Star delivers compared to its immediate competitor. The weight of the bike too is around 213 kg so it is in the same ballpark as the Interceptor so we could expect performance to be comparable.

Design

The bike’s appeal lies in its simplicity and as true to its classic design heritage as is practicable. There is the obvious visual departure of being liquid-cooled and sporting a radiator but these should be acceptable compromises in delivering a classic look in a practical, modern day package. There are distinct brand and badging touches like the arms on the side panel and classically designed fuel lid and the BSA moniker embossed at the back of the seat. The bike overall nails its classic proportions and looks really well and hopefully, the actual riding experience will also live through the promise.

The bike stands at an extremely accessible 780 mm of seat height, which should make the bike fairly unintimidating for newer riders as well as older folks who may want to get back into riding attracted by the air of nostalgia. The straight seat design offers enough room for even taller riders to find their comfortable seating stance. I saw a number of media persons of different height and build and at least on this brief first look the bike seemed to offer a comfortable seating posture for a wide variety of riders. Again, more on this perhaps when we have the opportunity of an actual test ride.

The fit and finish seemed decent for the most part, although some parts and switchgear did seem of relatively ordinary quality. The overall finish however seemed fine with beautiful aesthetic design touches like the rifles showing on the petrol lid and the side panel, and some unique touches like the dials, which stand at rest at the 1 o'clock position.

Colors and Price

At launch, the bike has been launched in 6 colours - Highland Green, Insignia Red, Midnight Black, Dawn Silver, Shadow Black, and finally a Legacy Edition - Sheen Silver. All models are identically specced with prices (differing only for the colour ways) ranging from Rs. 2.99 lakh to Rs. 3.15 lakh for the first five colours and the Legacy Edition sports a price of Rs. 3.34 lakh. The above prices are stated to be introductory.

Media test rides for the bike are likely to happen sometime next month though and it’s only then that one can form more detailed impressions of how the bike has been built and executed.

At first blush though, it does seem to be a very promising effort indeed and will possibly be the most realistic competitor to the RE Interceptor 650, in terms of style as well as specs, taking of course a slightly different and arguably purist, single-cylinder path (in contrast to the parallel twin from RE).

Mr. Anand Mahindra kicking off proceedings and holding centre stage:
BSA Gold Star 650 | Launch and First look-1.jpeg

Alan Cathcart and James Hewing speaking about the legacy that is BSA as well as their experience of riding this bike over the course of the last year:
BSA Gold Star 650 | Launch and First look-2.jpeg

The Insignia Red highlighted from different viewing angles below:
BSA Gold Star 650 | Launch and First look-3.jpeg

BSA Gold Star 650 | Launch and First look-4.jpeg

BSA Gold Star 650 | Launch and First look-5.jpeg

The little details are all over the bike. Note the small BSA lettering on top of the headlight:
BSA Gold Star 650 | Launch and First look-6.jpeg

The radiator guard departing from the original classic look - function preceding form here:
BSA Gold Star 650 | Launch and First look-7.jpeg

Single 320mm floating disc, Brembo twin-piston floating calliper with ABS. The spoke wheel design and finish are also lovely:
BSA Gold Star 650 | Launch and First look-8.jpeg

The heart of the matter - endorsing the decision to go down the single cylinder route staying absolutely true to the classic. The only visual eyesore is the matte silver look which would have looked truer to its classic form in a chrome finish:
BSA Gold Star 650 | Launch and First look-9.jpeg

Beautiful old-school fuel lid with a lock below it. Unclear in the picture but it sports the arms on the top and the inscription 1903 above it:
BSA Gold Star 650 | Launch and First look-10.jpeg

The twin-dial instrument console with a rather tiny information display in the middle. The digital information windows on the top of each dial are absolutely tiny. Note the rest position of the needle at the unconventional 1 o'clock position. Might polarise a few but I loved it:
BSA Gold Star 650 | Launch and First look-13.jpeg

The fairly simple switchgear on either side should be simple to use. The quality seemed just about all right - seemed built to a price:
BSA Gold Star 650 | Launch and First look-14.jpg

The Insignia Red in side profile. Visually, the finish of the engine case takes away from the authentic classic look. Other than that though, the profile oozes charm:
BSA Gold Star 650 | Launch and First look-15.jpeg

The stainless steel single exhaust is neatly finished. While the gap in the rear fender and the tyre seems excessive, this is actually fairly true to the form of the original classic:
BSA Gold Star 650 | Launch and First look-16.jpeg

Twin shocks and the spoked Pirelli tyres:
BSA Gold Star 650 | Launch and First look-17.jpeg

Midnight Black in the side profile:
BSA Gold Star 650 | Launch and First look-18.jpeg

The Legacy edition in silver sheen is on display - the priciest variant of the lot:
BSA Gold Star 650 | Launch and First look-19.jpeg

While the display bikes were limited to three, all 6 tank colour options were kept on display:
BSA Gold Star 650 | Launch and First look-whatsapp-image-20240815-17.53.10-14.jpeg

The Real Classics

A launch of a veritable and timeless classic like the BSA would have been incomplete without some of their actual classics to admire. These four timeless beauties had been kept on display even before the event had commenced for the benefit of the journalists and attendees.

BSA Gold Star CB34 500cc single (owned by Reuben Solomon):
BSA Gold Star 650 | Launch and First look-whatsapp-image-20240815-18.03.30-1.jpeg

BSA Gold Star CB34 500cc single (owned by Shalaila Nullaseth):
BSA Gold Star 650 | Launch and First look-whatsapp-image-20240815-18.03.30-2.jpeg

BSA Gold Star DB32 350cc single (owned by Shiraz Ginwalla):
BSA Gold Star 650 | Launch and First look-whatsapp-image-20240815-18.03.30-3.jpeg

In a traditional naked roadster - the BSA Gold Star Clubmans:
BSA Gold Star 650 | Launch and First look-whatsapp-image-20240815-18.03.30.jpeg

Last edited by Omkar : 4th September 2024 at 00:27.
Axe77 is offline   (54) Thanks
Old 16th August 2024, 22:30   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: BSA Gold Star 650 | Launch and First look

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Omkar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2024, 23:03   #3
BHPian

Just visited Synergy Mahindra at NR Colony, Banashankari 3rd Stage, Bangalore. There are two BSA Gold Star 650 on display, insignia red and sheen silver. The bike looks proportionate and classic. They have nailed the design part.

This is how a 5.75" frame looks on the bike. The stance of the bike feels natural, everything falls into place quite telepathically, all the controls are where it is supposed to be, the bike just feels like a natural extension of yourself. The footpegs doesn't foul with your shins, sigh (Yes, am looking at you, Interceptor) Shorter riders would feel at home and the seat is accomodating for all shapes and sizes. Going by the looks, even the pillion should feel welcome.

BSA Gold Star 650 | Launch and First look-20240816_162952.jpg

Classic retro stance, sitting on it, you couldn't help going back in time, remember Rajdoot
BSA Gold Star 650 | Launch and First look-20240816_163726.jpg

The exhaust bend pipe protrudes a bit from the frame, gets really hot, have to be a bit careful.
BSA Gold Star 650 | Launch and First look-20240816_163705.jpg

The radiator cap is exposed, more chances of being fiddled with at parked spaces.
BSA Gold Star 650 | Launch and First look-20240816_163657.jpg

The switch gear, not so great in quality but the tactile feedback is good. Nothing fancy here.

BSA Gold Star 650 | Launch and First look-20240816_163402.jpg
BSA Gold Star 650 | Launch and First look-20240816_163357.jpg

The speedo console is once again retro. There is a small window within the speed console which displays the odo reading but it is definitely a task to read on the go! Similar display on the tachometer displays fuel level. The 3rd small circular window fixed on to the headlight has telltale signs of ABS, check engine, low oil, neutral and side stand. The speedo looks classic, just the basic info. There is a USB type C and regular USB socket on the LHS of the handlebar for charging your phone/GPS on the go.

BSA Gold Star 650 | Launch and First look-20240816_163345.jpg
BSA Gold Star 650 | Launch and First look-20240816_163336.jpg

The heart of the matter. 650cc single cylinder, the largest single in India presently if we ignore the Ducati. BSA could have done better with respect to the shine and choice of the chrome shade on the engine, also they have used dark grey instead of black on the casings. The paint on the fins feel a bit uneven to touch, don't know if it is purposely done or a production issue. The earlier version of this engine is an old work horse which did duty on BMW Funduro 650, known to be robust, reliable and low on maintenance. But only real world performance can attest to that history!

BSA Gold Star 650 | Launch and First look-20240816_163255.jpg
BSA Gold Star 650 | Launch and First look-20240816_163308.jpg

The rectifier is placed at the bottom, unsure about how well it is protected given our road conditions.

BSA Gold Star 650 | Launch and First look-20240816_163242.jpg

The BSA insignia, reminds you of it's Brit roots. The one on the fuel tank feels lacquered to touch.

BSA Gold Star 650 | Launch and First look-20240816_163202.jpg
BSA Gold Star 650 | Launch and First look-20240816_163158.jpg

This ugly weld behind the top T-clamp is an eyesore, it houses the stem.

BSA Gold Star 650 | Launch and First look-20240816_163055.jpg

The tyres are Pirelli Phantom Sportscomp and the rims are Excel. Brakes are from Brembo. All quality parts. No compromise here.

BSA Gold Star 650 | Launch and First look-20240816_162900.jpg

You can see Bosky in the background, patiently waiting to do a video shoot. I couldn't take more pics as there were few other interested customers waiting to get a hands on.

BSA Gold Star 650 | Launch and First look-20240816_163719.jpg

I started the bike to listen to the exhaust symphony and it sounded rather sweet with a deep intake whine. Couldn't record the sound though. The throttle response felt crisp at low revs, I didn't rev the nuts out, this is not the bike for that I suppose. I am eager to experience the on-off transition of the throttle in real world.

BSA Gold Star 650 | Launch and First look-20240816_163150.jpg

Finally, this is the brief introduction of the BSA Gold Star 650. The Synergy Mahindra SA was pushing for a token booking but I said that I would be interested to get a test ride first. Dropped my contact details. Test rides are expected to start sometime next week, soon after RTO formalities. I guess the deliveries would start sooner than expected.

Overall, it is a good motorcycle at 2.99 ex-showroom price point, a large single cylinder to fill in the void left behind by CL500, but a much better motorcycle than the CL500 in everyway. This bike from the Birmingham Small Arms is a looker and it looks way better in person, a true classic in every sense.
Those who are looking to own a mid capacity retro classic thumper, the looks of BSA Gold Star will make you fall hook, line and sinker.

Last edited by Turbanator : 17th August 2024 at 15:41. Reason: Added some detail. Pictures in line.
Legal_Eagle is offline   (54) Thanks
Old 17th August 2024, 08:48   #4
BHPian

This would certainly cater to a very small niche group of customers. They should have priced it much lesser than the RE if they wanted volumes. Unfortunately, despite all overseas comparisons, in the Indian market a vfm tag matters. At only 4k INR more, one can get the twin cylinder RE with more peace of mind wrt service centres/spares/ after market mods etc.
Senotrius is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 17th August 2024, 09:12   #5
BHPian

Loved it personally. Waiting to check them out in person and have signed up for test ride through the website. This just appeals to me for lot of reasons. I wish they could have brought tubeless tyres with spokes but that doesn't look like the case judging from the photos. I loved the Aston Martin-esque clockwise needles. Watching analog needles in this world of digital everything is a special touch. Or maybe I'm just old
Boringrider is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th August 2024, 10:49   #6
Senior - BHPian

Some things I wish they had done:
- If not a Twin, at least have dual exhausts like the Jawa. The LHS view is so incomplete.
- What is the logic behind the off-set fuel filler? A centered one would look so much neater.
- Why that ugly number plate holder hanging off a short mudguard? Even the Meteor has this ugly design.

Last edited by Axe77 : 17th August 2024 at 11:38. Reason: Minor typo. (centered)
Old 17th August 2024, 11:31   #7
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Some things I wish they had done:
- If not a Twin, at least have dual exhausts like the Jawa. The LHS view is so incomplete.
- What is the logic behind the off-set fuel filler? A entered one would look so much neater.
- Why that ugly number plate holder hanging off a short mudguard? Even the Meteor has this ugly design.
This design is pretty much spot on BSA, I’m sure you know how their early bikes look.

I think they’ve nailed the design and the motor is really a Rotax lump then it should be quite an interesting bike. I really hope it isn’t let down by poor aftersales.

Last edited by GTO : 19th August 2024 at 13:59. Reason: No need for such a rude or strong post please. Request to continue being polite, calm & respectful, even in debates.
howler is offline   (9) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 17th August 2024, 13:36   #8
BHPian

Yeah I’m one of the naysayers from the time it was unveiled. However my mind has shifted somewhat since reading the consistently decent reviews from the UK. Pricing seems alright.

Personally, after having high hopes initially, I haven’t been taken with anything about Classic Legends except for their design sensibility wherein they’ve done an excellent job of managing to pay homage to the inspiration of the Jawa. As an owner of the original, they haven’t done the same thing with either the Roadking or Yezdi marques. Which then makes it merely a name which has been used for little or no reason. Their ASS has been mediocre although few buyers seem to have complaints about the products themselves and fewer seem to have experienced failures. This seems like a ‘classic’ private equity driven business model, which isn’t whole lot surprising considering it is Anupam Thareja’s brain child. The BSA certainly looks the part though.

On the other hand we have RE - a motorcycle marque which, for too long post its reinvigoration, has taken Indian consumers for granted, providing model after model of insufficiently tested motorcycles with poor manufacturing quality control and mediocre ASS (yes I said it). However, their phenomenal ability to leverage brand, community and emotional fervour to keep hitting bigger numbers is impressive. No brand has managed to challenge it in its categories.

If one can push the other to just get better, the consumer is distinctly better off. For that reason alone, I hope this does well.

Last edited by RT13 : 17th August 2024 at 13:38.
RT13 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th August 2024, 15:07   #9
BHPian

Looks very good.I presume new dealerships are going to be formed.The Jawa dealer here shut shop a long time ago. Hope they can handle the aftersales and service part well.

I guess the closest dealership for me would be Coimbatore.

Cheers
Old 17th August 2024, 20:00   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkumarblore View Post
I would have conducted a full blown vibration test with professional vibration measuring instruments(btw which we regularly do at the place where I work).
Completely OT but this made me google and land up here

https://dewesoft.com/blog/human-body...on-a-motorbike

Is this what you do? How about starting a new thread with some measurements you have done on the bikes available for sale?
Turbanator is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2024, 20:12   #11
Team-BHP Support

I think given that test mules should be available very soon, maybe we should just wait for our own real world test rides and see what the nature of vibrations are on this big single. Let’s not judge spec sheets and single vs twins. Just ride each bike and judge it on its merits.

Of course inherent sales and service outreach advantages will favour RE for a long time to come, not to mention the peace of mind that they’re solidly entrenched and not a relative start-up.
Axe77 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th August 2024, 20:30   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkumarblore View Post
Hello,
If you are referring to my post, I would like to know what's wrong with that? There was no need to call it out. I did the 'vibration test' my way in the absence of any vibration testing equipment at the dealership. Had the motorbike been with me for a day, I would have conducted a full blown vibration test with professional vibration measuring instruments(btw which we regularly do at the place where I work).
I know its a big single and there's no way it is going to be vibration free.
Can you please explain what was technically incorrect if the spectacles slid(on the fuel tank and not seat) when the motorbike engine was idling? Isn't that a sign of mechanical vibration? I am keen to know that.
Please ignore this post if you are not referring to my post.
Thanks.
I concur with your observations regarding the vibrations at idle. Felt the same when I checked out the vehicle. But considering the 'big single' and what not, I'd still say these vibrations at idle could still be acceptable.

However, as long as these are well contained on the move, I'd still consider this a job well done. For me, the erstwhile 500cc pushrod single from RE was unrideable beyond 90 km/h & above 5000 rpm.

The power and torque figures on the goldstar are enough to catapult this vehicle to 120+ km/h in a jiffy. If the vibes creep in beyond this speed, I can make peace with it. Anything lower and that would be a deal breaker.

More than vibes though, I'm more concerned about how effectively that big single can dissipate heat. Unlike cars, liquid cooled motorcycles have an additional headache of ensuring the rider does not end up with tandoor legs.

Every big capacity liquid cooled single struggles with heat dissipation on the rider's legs. This being the biggest of them all, can also be ascertained to be the worst in heat management. It will be interesting to see where the line of acceptance lies for the market.
AlQuazi is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2024, 10:29   #13
BHPian

Reviving an old classic is never an easy job, whatever you do you will end up disappointing a few people. IMHO, staying true to the original design is always better than messing it up just to make it more 'modern' or stand out from the crowd.

It was never intended to be a mass market product, this is a niche product. I think it has done a wonderful job of putting the brand back on the map.

As far as comparisons are concerned, we Indians have this habit of comparing apples to onions just because they are priced in a similar range, I too end up doing the same thing on many occasions, so I am not making fun of anyone. Singles, twins, fours, all will have their own characteristics, some positive, some negative, some more than others. We should know what we are getting into before we make a purchase decision.
In the bigger picture, I am excited that we are getting more choice in this price bracket!

Last edited by tchsvy : 18th August 2024 at 10:31.
tchsvy is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 18th August 2024, 13:13   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post

https://dewesoft.com/blog/human-body...on-a-motorbike

Is this what you do? How about starting a new thread with some measurements you have done on the bikes available for sale?
Hello, the link is interesting. I’ll read in detail later on.
By the way, looks like my words have been mis-understood. We do vibration testing for the construction machines that we produce at our factory. This is a regular QC process for us.
And I meant I could do the same check on a motorcycle too. Though I have never done any such testing on any automobile.
Thanks for the link.
Old 20th August 2024, 21:28   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchsvy View Post
As far as comparisons are concerned, we Indians have this habit of comparing apples to onions just because they are priced in a similar range, I too end up doing the same thing on many occasions, so I am not making fun of anyone. Singles, twins, fours, all will have their own characteristics, some positive, some negative, some more than others. We should know what we are getting into before we make a purchase decision.
Well said .

Some people just think more=better.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks