Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2024, 22:08   #1
BHPian

Scooter recommendation for a guy transitioning from a motorcycle

Hi All,
I am in the market for scooter, I have ridden almost only bikes in the past 20 years. My cumulative ride on scooter will not be more than some 20km, Since we got a 4 wheeler for office and other family rides, the 2 wheeler usage came down to nearly 4-5 kms per day, Mainly for running shopping and other local errands.
My current bike is yamaha FZ-S, which started giving lot of problems, So decided to shift to a Scooter.
My Requirements are:
1. I am 5.10 ft tall. Need a machine for to suit a comfortable riding position.
2. Smooth and reliable machine.
3. Good ride Quality.
4. Safe ride (Scared of skidding under hard braking, as my 20km ride on scooter had 2 instances of it).
5. Brand is not a problem.
After reading some threads currently considering
Access 125,
Jupiter 125 and
Burgman.

Took test ride of Access and Jupiter today, couldn't ride long as the showroom guys gave a scooter without number plate which was ready for delivery ().

In the short ride taken felt comfortable with access, particularly felt some discomfort on shoulder blade while riding Jupyter due to ride position. But after seeing a couple of comparison videos where they claim Jupiter is long and broad seat which will suit for tall people got confused.

Contemplating Aprilia also for ABS, but with my low usage not sure should I spend that much money.

Last edited by Axe77 : 3rd August 2024 at 23:01. Reason: Typo. Its “Jupiter”. Plus some minor clean up edits.
sram is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2024, 23:03   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Scooter recommendation for a guy transitioning from a motorcycle

I think for someone coming mostly from motorbikes at least for me it’s stability that is the biggest difference due to the small wheel size of most scooters. Perhaps try to shortlist some scooters with 14” wheel options. Off hand I think that would be the Aprilia SXR 160, but I’m not sure.

The Burgman is supposed to be quite a plush and steady solid vehicle too. Should certainly keep that as a serious contender. Really little to go wrong with the Burgman.
Axe77 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2024, 23:20   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sram View Post
Hi All,
I am in the market for scooter, I have ridden almost only bikes in the past 20 years.
My Requirements are:
3. Good ride Quality.
4. Safe ride (Scared of skidding under hard braking, as my 20km ride on scooter had 2 instances of it).
I suggest you take a look at Yamaha Aerox 155. I own an Yamaha Aerox and it's a maxi scooter and somewhere between a motorcycle and the regular gearless scooters. The tyre size is in between the M/C and Scooters. It comes with a liquid cooled engine that powers the Yamaha R15, detuned a bit, but adequate enough to have lots of fun.

Extremely stable with Motorcycle like riding characteristics (you can lean, brake hard, ride hard and the Aerox obliges without any complaint).

I have a Honda Activa, a KTM Duke 390, a Honda Dio, a TVS scooty apart from the Yamaha Aerox and the Aerox is a class above the regular gearless scooters

Do check it out.
ashkamath is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 4th August 2024, 05:47   #4
BHPian

I would suggest an Ather 450 all day. Trouble is, if you want magic twist, you must buy the Apex.

The only reason I would suggest going with the Aerox or Aprilia suggested above is that they come with ABS (being above 125cc). Ather's Skid Control (motor based TC) is undefeatable, but they come only with CBS, not ABS. A skid is eminently doable with CBS.

As someone who believes ABS is essential, it truly was a struggle for me to book an Ather to replace the horrendously poor quality Activa (which was bought back when it was the only option with CBS). But I absolutely don't want an ICE scooter. I just don't want something which needs oil changes etc.

Also do look at the iQube (same problem as Ather wrt lack of ABS), but it too is fantastically well engineered.

If you are okay with ICE, and don't mind another Yamaha, the Aerox is a great option (not counting the fuel tank which shouldn't be a problem for you) - but do check if the suspension works for you. Aprilia might not be the nicest service experience in the world.

Given that you too have low running, you really ought to seriously think about the advantages of an electric. With 5km a day, you would need to take it for service only about once in 3 years
Mu009 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th August 2024, 06:17   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mu009 View Post
Given that you too have low running, you really ought to seriously think about the advantages of an electric. With 5km a day, you would need to take it for service only about once in 3 years
Not considering Electric since I live in a rented apartment (10 houses) and there is no charging port on my parking slot.

Last edited by Axe77 : 4th August 2024 at 11:17.
Old 4th August 2024, 09:15   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Contemplating Aprilia also for ABS, but with my low usage not sure should I spend that much money.
Please wait couple of months for Xoom 160 and 125. There may be a possibility that even Xoom 125 also come up with ABS..

Otherwise look for pre-owned Aprilia, they come for ard 60-70K though ride is very harsh....
shashant is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2024, 12:11   #7
BHPian

Access 125 without a doubt if i was in the market.
salluks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2024, 13:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

Premium scooters aside, my suggestions would be Ntorq or Jupiter. These 2 have the best ride-handling package among all scooters. Activa and access are slightly rear heavy.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2024, 14:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
........but with my low usage not sure should I spend that much money.
Considering your minimal usage, one not so mainstream (in an urban area) option could be this:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ip-review.html (TVS XL 100 - Ownership Review)

It's not a conventional choice as the vehicles you have listed and others have suggested, but is definitely worth test riding once.

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 4th August 2024 at 14:08.
comfortablynumb is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2024, 20:37   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Access 125,
Jupiter 125 and
Burgman.
I am using Bullet 500 from 2013 and recently acquired Burgman street ex. I seriously recommend Burgman for it's ride comfort and riding position for a 6 feet tall person.
We have compared all the three scooter mentioned and and Yamaha aerox 155 too.
vinodv001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2024, 09:26   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,
I am in the market for scooter, I have ridden almost only bikes in the past 20 years. My cumulative ride on scooter will not be more than some 20km, Since we got a 4 wheeler for office and other family rides, the 2 wheeler usage came down to nearly 4-5 kms per day.
Surprised noone has mentioned the mighty Honda Activa yet! It sells like hot cakes for a reason. It's so reliable that it may get boring to own after a while!

My choices would be, along with categories:
No nonsense:
Honda Activa
Suzuki Access
Wildcard - TVS Ntorq

Plush/Premium:
Suzuki Burgman

Extra Premium:
Aprilia SR 160
Yamaha Aerox - my personal choice for its performance and ABS.
Geo_Ipe is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2024, 16:27   #12
BHPian

Aprilia SR160 if you like it sporty, or the TVS Ntorq as the allrounder. The ntorq with its comparatively smaller wheel is surprisingly an amazing handler and its road grip much better than the access/Ather, atleast in my experience. Both felt extremely disconnected on the road.
Many suggest the Burgman, but point to note is it’s quite bulky and won’t be as carefree to ride, plus it’s softly sprung, this matters a lot if you’re heavily built like me. The Jupiter as you said is a little wide and maybe a little less in terms of comfort, but performs as well as the Ntorq.
100Kmphormore is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2024, 23:13   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,
I am in the market for scooter, I have ridden almost only bikes in the past 20 years.

My Requirements are:
3. Good ride Quality.
After reading some threads currently considering
Access 125,
Jupiter 125 and
Burgman.
Since you are from motorcycle background,
Ntorq and Aprilia SR fits your bill.
These two scooters are taller, good suspension, bigger wheels, doesn't skid, good performance, enough space to carry luggage.
Karthik1100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2024, 14:21   #14
BHPian

As a burgman owner, it's not at all different from a performance/suspension perspective from the Access. It's literally the same. Plus points are huge seat, footboard and storage area which makes you very comfortable to sit on it.
Burgman_tales is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2024, 18:59   #15

I'm 5'10 and I find myself comfortable in TVS Ntorq (owned by my sister but most of the kms driven by me). I find it very accommodating in city rides. I also drove it on HYD-BAN highway for 85kms (hyderabad to mahabubnagar). I like the way it handling, braking, acceleration and exhaust note. Consider Ntorq for best handling and ride.
I personally have a vespa SXL125 racing sixties. It suits me when I am riding as solo but not with pillion. Consider if your a solo rider.
And finally burgman is great choice in the budget of maxi scooter with space and ride comfort.
krishnteja6969 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks