Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2024, 18:01   #16
BHPian

Re: Suzuki V Strom 250 Review | How I met Stromy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
A fabulous review that you’ve penned down here and I love your handle by the way.
Ride safe brother!
Thank you @VikramArya.

I do agree that Suzuki must market this product suitably. There are numerous example on how a great Marketing team can bring more sales for a mediocre product.

Shogun had a special place in 90's kids and thank you for reminding that..

Cheers.
Old 12th August 2024, 07:44   #17
BHPian

Suzuki V Strom 250 Review | How I met Stromy! Suzuki Ride Connect APP

Suzuki provides Mobile phone connectivity using "Suzuki Ride Connect" App. Usage of this App is minimal, though it has few useful features.

How to Connect:

Switch on the Vehicle and open Suzuki App. Once "Pair device" option is selected, the APP connects with Bike. Thereafter, once the vehicle is switched ON, the pairing will be automatic and APP must be opened in Mobile Phone.

Home Screen shows Fuel Meter, ODO and 2 Trip Meters. The colour of vehicle and profile Picture can be set using settings option.

Suzuki V Strom 250 Review | How I met Stromy!-1home.jpeg

The Application provides below features.

Phone Notification (Call, SMS & WhatsApp)

Useful Feature providing details on who is calling, message received etc. There is no option to display the message itself. This feature can be tuned ON / OFF and can be selected individually.

Suzuki V Strom 250 Review | How I met Stromy!-2options.jpeg

Navigation using MapMyIndia

Another Useful feature with some caveats. This is using MapMyIndia navigation and I haven't opted for Live Location (I am not sure also, if that is available). In case the correct destination is available on the Map, then the Navigation is easy. However, it will not re-route according to traffic.
The location details shared using WhatsApp or any other platform is not usable.

Suzuki V Strom 250 Review | How I met Stromy!-3map.jpeg

Suzuki V Strom 250 Review | How I met Stromy!-4map-additional.jpeg

Last Parked Location :

Interesting feature. Can't or don't know what to use with that info. (I am not leaving my bike at some random place. RIGHT?)

Suzuki V Strom 250 Review | How I met Stromy!-6addtional-settings.jpeg

Speed Exceeding Alert:

This is a useful warning to set a value for maximum speed. Beyond that, the message shows "Speed Exceeded".

and some more features...

Suzuki V Strom 250 Review | How I met Stromy!-5settings.jpeg

Supported Android Version is 6 and above.

Link to Android PlayStore: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...gnid=web_share
Mrs&Mr_Shenu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2024, 08:03   #18
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Guys, with all due respect to the technologically superior millennial and Gen Z wizards here, riding a bike is serious business. Riding it fast even more so. Just riding a bike is by some statistics some 28 times more risky than driving a car. With all of this, I am simply amazed at all the sensory overload riders are allowing on themselves. Through their helmet. Through their ram mounted phones. Through their fancy (and blinding) TFT displays.

Just a thought. Isn't just riding the bike as man and machine enough and the be all and end all of motorcycling?

Can we not leave the video games for the safety of our homes and offices.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 12th August 2024, 12:08   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs&Mr_Shenu View Post
Last Parked Location :
Interesting feature. Can't or don't know what to use with that info. (I am not leaving my bike at some random place. RIGHT?)
I guess it can be useful when you leave your vehicle in a large/open parking lot without any numbering system that you can make a note of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post

Just a thought. Isn't just riding the bike as man and machine enough and the be all and end all of motorcycling?
Cheers, Doc
Doc, IMHO it depends on the type of ride you are doing. Google maps voice navigation via the helmet intercom is definitely useful when you are visiting unknown places. We could make the same argument for bicycling but I know that you are a big Strava fan like me when it comes to numbers and datapoints from sensors, heart-rate monitors, bike-computers and what not.
itisravi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2024, 12:15   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisravi View Post
Doc, IMHO it depends on the type of ride you are doing. Google maps voice navigation via the helmet intercom is definitely useful when you are visiting unknown places. We could make the same argument for bicycling but I know that you are a big Strava fan like me when it comes to numbers and datapoints from sensors, heart-rate monitors, bike-computers and what not.
Exactly my point! Do the number crunching at HOME. I love it! Bathed, legs up, chai in hand. But seriously, do I really NEED to know who called me, or what my real time mileage is, or have a co rider or pillion yap in my ear, while hurtling at serious speeds on two wheels on Indian highways?! Last mile navigation is at sub 10 kmph speeds in city traffic. That is never the issue. Your senses and your inbuilt survival radar and your reflexes and an uncluttered mind (clear of garbage data and sensory irritants) is your best defence as a rider. Anything that takes away from that is bad in my opinion. A lethal risk.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 12th August 2024 at 12:18.
ebonho is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 12th August 2024, 12:22   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Last mile navigation is at sub 10 kmph speeds in city traffic. That is never the issue. Cheers, Doc
City or highways, I think it is an issue when you don't know the route beforehand and are navigating to the place for the first time. I agree that calls, music etc. are unnecessary and a safety hazard.
itisravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2024, 12:28   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
City or highways, I think it is an issue when you don't know the route beforehand and are navigating to the place for the first time. I agree that calls, music etc. are unnecessary and a safety hazard.
Bro I disagree. A highway is a big road. It goes in only one direction. And big towns, villages, cities on it are clearly demarcated from many kilometres earlier. For you to be aware and alert. While you are on it, you are at speed. Even if you are not, you are vulnerable. Often even more so. So while you are on the highway please rely on your eyes and signs. Get off the highway on to a slip road and do whatever technology wizardry you want to. I mean, this is me sharing my personal view. I know I am in the minority here. Does not change my way of looking at things based on my experience. The highway is not a place for star wars.

Cheers, Doc

P.S. I always carry a road atlas when on tour. And know beforehand (the night before in my hotel room) the route for the next day and the major waypoints along the way. And the general area I will be in at different points of the day. Those can be refreshed at stops or breaks or fueling halts. You are not riding blind.

Last edited by ebonho : 12th August 2024 at 12:33.
ebonho is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 12th August 2024, 12:48   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So while you are on the highway please rely on your eyes and signs. Get off the highway on to a slip road and do whatever technology wizardry you want to.
I'm with you here Doc. I never understood why I needed to pair my phone with the bike and why that was a make-or-break feature. When I'm riding, the phone is the last thing on my mind. I'd hate to have someone's voice in my ear while I'm riding. But like you say, we're in the minority, we're dinosaurs.

Quote:
I always carry a road atlas when on tour.
The Eicher Road Atlas? You still use that?! Used to use it extensively, it's reliably and safely taken me to all 4 corners (literally - Kanyakumari, Nubra, Kutch, Dong (Arunachal)) of the country before the time of Google Maps! (Dinosaurs again, Doc!)

But having said that, GMaps is certainly a step up. But I agree with you, that's for the last mile navigation. On the main highway, I'd rather not think about my phone at all.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2024, 12:56   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
I'm with you here Doc.
The Eicher Road Atlas? You still use that?! Used to use it extensively, it's reliably and safely taken me to all 4 corners (literally - Kanyakumari, Nubra, Kutch, Dong (Arunachal)) of the country before the time of Google Maps! (Dinosaurs again, Doc!)
Eicher and TTK (big folded map) baby!

The pleasure of making notes on paper with pen, of tracing a route with a pencil or pen, of remembering a special name and singing it inside your helmet on auto loop! That's touring unvarnished man.

Tadepalligudem!!!!!! From my solo All India Ride in the winter of 2004.

Cheers, Doc

P.S. My Lonely Planet got destroyed in the rain by a moron older rider who I once made the mistake of lending it to. The pages all got stuck once the thing dried out. I made him replace it, his grumbling protestations notwithstanding. But he replaced it with the Eicher, as the Lonely Planet was too expensive (more than twice the price then). Lesson learned. Never again do I lend my biking or cycling stuff to guys who I'm absolutely not certain about in terms of being as psychotic about their stuff as I am.

Last edited by ebonho : 12th August 2024 at 13:19.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2024, 13:25   #25
BHPian

Quote:

Can we not leave the video games for the safety of our homes and offices.

Cheers, Doc
Of course Doc. That was an insight you provided. I have been to both side of this transition. (Prior and after of Google Maps & Mobile Phones). I do use Onboard Navigation and limits that to minimum so that I can concentrate more on ride.

Quote:
I guess it can be useful when you leave your vehicle in a large/open parking lot without any numbering system that you can make a note of.
Yeah. It makes sense now.

Quote:
I always carry a road atlas when on tour. And know beforehand (the night before in my hotel room) the route for the next day and the major waypoints along the way. And the general area I will be in at different points of the day. Those can be refreshed at stops or breaks or fueling halts. You are not riding blind.
Doc, I have done similar rides around Goa circa 2001-2004. Nowadays, laziness has crept in and just assumes that Google Map will take me to the destination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
But having said that, GMaps is certainly a step up. But I agree with you, that's for the last mile navigation. On the main highway, I'd rather not think about my phone at all.
Even on Highways, the signboards have to be correct (being in India, is there a chance to maintain them properly?)

Quote:
Eicher and TTK (big folded map) baby!

The pleasure of making notes on paper with pen, of tracing a route with a pencil or pen, of remembering a special name and singing it inside your helmet on auto loop! That's touring unvarnished man.
Sounds like a Bliss.. Cheers Doc again and share the wisdom..
Its because of Dinosaurs that we have Oil...
Old 13th August 2024, 19:25   #26
BHPian

In order to improve the touring experience of my V-Strom and eliminate the need for bags on my back, I opted for a practical addition. This led me to choose a Back Box with custom graphics.

The purchase from a local dealer in Kochi which was quick and efficient. They installed the base plate in just 10 minutes and secured box in place. The custom sticker required some additional time and arrived a few days later. For enhanced visibility during night rides, I also applied a reflective sticker. The overall cost came to around 8000 rupees.

Suzuki V Strom 250 Review | How I met Stromy!-box1.jpg

Suzuki V Strom 250 Review | How I met Stromy!-box2.jpg

Good Part

1. No hassle. It is just a lock on 4 points lock with bush using slide in action. The Box locks well to the position. Also it has 2 grab rails which makes it easy to carry around.

2. Build is good and has an inner lining similar to Car mats. I can carry a Laptop of 16" easily.

3. 2 Locks. One for locking the box itself. Second one to lock to the base plate. The locking and unlocking is very easy.

4. Base Plate and Bushes look of good quality. I have used it for few rides now and the box sits comfortably. There is no lateral movement observed.

5. Comes with 2 cushions to support Pillion. This is really appreciated by wife as she was able to sit comfortably for our rides.

Bad Part (Problems / Observations)

1. The Base plate of V-Strom can support only 6.5 Kg and this box has some weight to it. Now once it is filled beyond that weight capacity, there is chance of structural integrity (Not sure though!)

2. This one is most important. While I was driving on highways, the front started to get wobble on certain times. This is an intermittent behaviour from vehicle and happened at Coimbatore - Salem Highway. One thing noticeable is high speed of the bike (around 90+ Km/h). However the same wobbling is not present once the box was removed.

Here is Stromy with his Add-on Armour

Suzuki V Strom 250 Review | How I met Stromy!-stromy-boxfinal.jpeg
Old 14th August 2024, 11:37   #27
Senior - BHPian

I have the Givi top box and do 120+ speeds normally. This behaviour has not happened even once
Quote:
One thing noticeable is high speed of the bike (around 90+ Km/h). However the same wobbling is not present once the box was removed.
Sebring is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2024, 12:30   #28
BHPian

Quote:
2. This one is most important. While I was driving on highways, the front started to get wobble on certain times. This is an intermittent behaviour from vehicle and happened at Coimbatore - Salem Highway. One thing noticeable is high speed of the bike (around 90+ Km/h). However the same wobbling is not present once the box was removed.
When was this? This time of the year, especially that stretch of road is known to be windy. Or did you try the same road without the box too?
prakash_ajp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2024, 14:04   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I have the Givi top box and do 120+ speeds normally. This behaviour has not happened even once
Hi @Sebring, thanks once again for sharing your review on V-Strom. Finally you on my thread. What an honour .

As I mentioned, this was intermittent and happened during long stretches. However, while I was coming back from Bengaluru, this was not present. Return Route was Bengaluru --> Dhimbam --> Bhavani Sagar --> Coimbatore --> Kochi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
When was this? This time of the year, especially that stretch of road is known to be windy. Or did you try the same road without the box too?
This was in Mid June and it was driven fully using the box. I felt the sidewind on few places between Erode and Salem during onward journey.
Mrs&Mr_Shenu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed