Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2024, 10:22   #1
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
My Triumph Speed 400 | The problems that reviewers brush aside

I purchased the Speed 400 from a showroom that is 60 km away from my home. I drove it straight home. You know the pros, but I am talking about some of the real-life problems that I faced to help people understand some of the issues. I would also appreciate some fixes from other Speed 400 owners.

I am coming from a Duke 200 BS6.

1. Suspension: This is what I purchased the motorcycle for. Preload at softest as recommended by both the service center and showroom:

Most reviews: The suspension is amazing. The star of the show.
Motorinc: The suspension absorbs potholes and undulations very well, but the bike feels bouncy on highways.

Expectations: What I need the most is bad road dampening. I don't ride at high speeds, so I didn't think this would be an issue.

Reality: The bike is VERY bouncy and unsettling on uneven roads even at low speeds. The feeling is like riding a bus jumping up and down. With a pillion, the suspension is GREAT. Two other owners have said the same thing.

I bought this bike for good suspension on a non-ADV bike, but every time I see bad roads, my mind says, "God help!"

I need to work on the preload. I am 65 kg, and the setting is at the softest. I would love to hear recommendations.

2. Vibrations and the fun quotient

Expectation: I know the bike is vibey at higher RPMs and high speeds. I do not ride at high speeds and wanted the acceleration and torque boost, which is why I bought it. I knew the bike also does well at low speeds for city rides.

Reality: Due to the nature of the motorcycle and the power delivery, the bike reaches 80-100 km/h really easily. You actually have to work a bit harder to keep it at lower speeds on the highways. In, let's say, a 15-20 BHP motorcycle, you would have to pull hard to get to these speeds, and it will give you a thrill, but here it goes to these speeds without any excitement.

Now, you might say, "It's a 40 BHP bike, it's supposed to be that way." Yes, however, there's also no scope to go further to get the excitement factor. If you go higher, the ride becomes more bouncy and unsettling, and the vibrations start to bother you. So, the thrill factor is hard to get. The bike pulls hard when you open the throttle, but it isn't going to be exciting for long. On a KTM, if you are at low speeds, low gear, while being at 7000 RPM, you have fun. Here, the vibrations are REALLY BAD!

3. Heating and where the bike lacks identity

This bike is not supposed to ride very fast; it helps you fly away in stop-and-go traffic. It's a commuter. However, in stop-and-go traffic, the heat is unsettling. The tank gets warm, the bike feels hot and fuming. You would also feel heat on your ankles (I was expecting thighs), especially when saddling.

I am expecting the heat to reduce a bit after the first service.

4. Flimsy footpegs and saddling

This won't affect many people, so barely anyone talks about this. However, I wanted you guys to know it.

The footpegs are not confidence-inspiring. I saw another BHP member mention this earlier when he said hopping on the bike by taking support from the footrest is scary. For me, the problem is different. I SADDLE A LOT! And the footrest (especially the one on the right) feels flimsy. I need to look for aftermarket footpegs. Please recommend some if you know.

5. Handlebar needs getting used to

I was using my Duke 200 with a 1.5-inch taller than stock seat (so I'm not a stranger to lean angles, and I lean on my bikes for tailbone reasons). This one gave me pain pretty quickly. My palms go red within the first 10 minutes of riding. However, I noticed the longer I rode, the pain went away. So, this needs getting used to.

I have a wrist injury on one side so it was a little concerning, however, I think it will be fine.

Final thoughts

Why did I buy this bike? I have some reasons which makes this the perfect choice for me on paper. I do not ride very fast but wanted some acceleration to zoom past other vehicles when needed and get some torquey thrill. I also needed a bike that had some KTM characteristics while having the comfort and suspension of a commuter without the hooligan image of KTM. This felt perfect.

I did take a test ride and some of the things I mentioned, I had noticed. Some of the things I also knew about. Are these big enough to deter people? I don't think so. Should I have taken a longer test ride (I had the chance)? Yes. Would it have changed my mind? I don't know. I don't regret purchasing at this point. All the pros of the bike still stand.

Last edited by nr07 : 1st August 2024 at 10:32. Reason: Formatting
nr07 is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 11:02   #2
BHPian

re: My Triumph Speed 400 | The problems that reviewers brush aside

From my limited knowledge about suspensions, the thumb rule which I've got to know is that you always stick to the default (normal) setting on the rear suspension. All bikes feel the best at factory default setting. Try resetting back to normal setting like it was prior to you changing it.

Ride 1000 kms with the default setting, don't make any changes to the seat (I've read your posts in other thread about seat padding, etc).

Once you have spent 1-2 months or 1000 kms and still haven't got used to it, only then think about making adjustments. And regarding suspension setting, go notch by notch and not from default to softest directly.

Not just reviews, the owners in this forum have also praised the suspension. So I think it is down to your specific requirement and not an issue with the bike.

Regarding vibrations and heating, il let the other owners comment. Think it improves post first service ?

PS - I hope you got the 10k discount which you had mentioned the showroom weren't willing to give on the color model you wanted.

Last edited by Ratan Prabhu : 1st August 2024 at 11:04.
Ratan Prabhu is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 11:07   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratan Prabhu View Post
From my limited knowledge about suspensions, the thumb rule which I've got to know is that you always stick to the default (normal) setting on the rear suspension. All bikes feel the best at factory default setting. Try resetting back to normal setting like it was prior to you changing it.

Ride 1000 kms with the default setting, don't make any changes to the seat (I've read your posts in other thread about seat padding, etc).

Once you have spent 1-2 months or 1000 kms and still haven't got used to it, only then think about making adjustments. And regarding suspension setting, go notch by notch and not from default to softest directly.

Not just reviews, the owners in this forum have also praised the suspension. So I think it is down to your specific requirement and not an issue with the bike.

Regarding vibrations and heating, il let the other owners comment. Will just hope it improves post first service.

PS - I hope you got the 10k discount which you had mentioned the showroom weren't willing to give on the color model you wanted.
Hi, I think you misread. The suspension is at the softest as it was handed to me from the showroom. There's no default setting mentioned on the manual. I also asked the service center about the same and they confirmed to keep it there (softest). I DIDNOT CHANGE IT. However, I need to do it now!

About other reviews, I read somewhere that heavy riders are saying suspension is great while light riders are saying suspension is bouncy. The suspension is GREAT with a pillion on. One guy I spoke to personally said the same thing and I saw another owner say the same on a youtube video. He compared it to an SUV, where the more people onboard, the better the suspension feels.

About the discount, they forced my hand with a quick purchase with the available color (blue, which I think is fine, no regrets). Originally wanted to get the black one.

Last edited by nr07 : 1st August 2024 at 11:13.
nr07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 11:13   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nr07 View Post
Hi, I think you misread. The suspension is at the softest as it was handed to me from the showroom. There's no default setting mentioned on the manual.
Apologies. I thought it was default on the middle level but showroom recommended softest setting and hence you agreed to the change.

See what owners say about the default setting and if it is at middle (which most of the bikes come with as default), set it that way and see how it feels for about a month or so.
Old 1st August 2024, 11:16   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratan Prabhu View Post
Apologies. I thought it was default on the middle level but showroom recommended softest setting and hence you agreed to the change.

See what owners say about the default setting and if it is at middle (which most of the bikes come with as default), set it that way and see how it feels for about a month or so.
I think it comes at default on the softest (I don't get why) as I have seen in another video, I think. Even my Duke which has much stiffer suspension had the preload at 2 or 3.
Old 1st August 2024, 11:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Wow! That was quick. Congratulations on your new bike buddy. A great choice.

The suspension that I remember was plush. Of course, I am a 90 kilo rider. Happily soaked up two huge humps in Camp at speed with no drama. Compared to my gen 1 Duke.

Don't play around with the bike. Keep it stock. Seat, pegs. You are 65 kilos. There are 90 kilo guys saddling the bike all over Ladakh without problem. Look at the Revzilla video. Those are big boys.

Hot etc. please bro. Its a brand new bike! Give it time. Give yourself time. And use some of that time to post some photos!

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 1st August 2024 at 11:30.
ebonho is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 11:36   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Wow! That was quick. Congratulations on your new bike buddy. A great choice.

The suspension that I remember was plush. Of course, I am a 90 kilo rider. Happily soaked up two huge humps in Camp at speed with no drama. Compared to my gen 1 Duke.

Don't play around with the bike. Keep it stock. Seat, pegs. You are 65 kilos. There are 90 kilo guys saddling the bike all over Ladakh without problem. Look at the Revzilla video. Those are big boys.

Hot etc. please bro. Its a brand new bike! Give it time. Give yourself time. And use some of that time to post some photos!

Cheers, Doc
Quick --> Yes, I am a bit impulsive. The more time I take, the more I overthink haha.

Suspension --> If you have not ridden the bike extensively, I think it would be harder to notice. The preload adjustment is easy so I would definitely try going 1 and 2 notches higher to see how things feel. The softest setting makes no sense to me after 60km of riding and as you already know, I was in the market for plush suspension with my limited options. The suspension is GREAT with a pillion so I believe some tinkering with the preload should get me to similar feel while riding solo.

Also I was going to reply to you after a while but you found me earlier, haha. Apologies I didn't get back to you earlier.

EDIT- Regarding the footpegs, yes those guys are heavy and did Ladakh but that was one trip. If you saddle everyday for years, I think the pegs need to inspire confidence. The ones on the Duke felt just right! Will try to find my options.

Last edited by nr07 : 1st August 2024 at 11:50.
Old 1st August 2024, 11:45   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Suspension --> If you have not ridden the bike extensively, I think it would be harder to notice.
I do not need 100s of kilometres to know a bike. I have a 2.1 km test track (its been nicknamed the rip zone by old biker buddies) around my home. I leave my gate like a race start, and I come back, 2 km later. That is all.

By the first three 90 degree corners I know if I like the bike or not. In fact, by the first corner whether I like the motor. 300 metres from my gate.

Yes you can try playing with the suspension. Don't just make permanent irreversible changes and ruin a nice saddle.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 1st August 2024 at 11:48.
ebonho is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 13:19   #9
BHPian

Quote:
I do not need 100s of kilometres to know a bike. I have a 2.1 km test track (its been nicknamed the rip zone by old biker buddies) around my home. I leave my gate like a race start, and I come back, 2 km later. That is all.

By the first three 90 degree corners I know if I like the bike or not. In fact, by the first corner whether I like the motor. 300 metres from my gate.

Yes you can try playing with the suspension. Don't just make permanent irreversible changes and ruin a nice saddle.

Cheers, Doc
Posted it on Reddit r/indianbikes as well and somebody said this. This makes me sad. :-( I assumed fixing the preload would make things better. Will have to see.

My Triumph Speed 400 | The problems that reviewers brush aside-screenshot-20240801-1.18.31-pm.png
nr07 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 14:07   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Posted it on Reddit r/indianbikes as well and somebody said this. This makes me sad. :-( I assumed fixing the preload would make things better. Will have to see.

Attachment 2635065
I still can't understand why you went with the speed as an impulsive buy without a long TD or renting the bike . Especially after the long discussion on your health issues. Getting to know your next bike is very important when you have such health limitations.

Can't blame the manufacturers for not tailoring the suspension to work for every rider weight bracket. They usually go with the middle ground when it comes to choosing spring rates, damping etc. It is pretty much impossible to cater to all rider weights with basic budget suspension on these small bikes. Even the bigger premium bike owners mess around with spring rates and damping rates to tailor the suspension to their weight and riding pattern, abroad.

Check the tyre pressure before you do anything else. Then move on to lowest preload settings if you think the shock isn't compressing enough with your weight on it. With the front shock, you might have to modify the stock preload spacer to do something about the preload. 60kgs is pretty featherweight and you'll find most sporty bikes to be harsh. Speed, despite the neo retro styling, is a street naked and not a true retro like a classic 350. The Duke has a soft rear shock and that's probably why you found it good. I often found my first gen 390's stock shock too soft for my weight (85+). It was a major gripe among international Duke owners as well.

Last edited by b16h22 : 1st August 2024 at 14:08.
b16h22 is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 15:08   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16h22 View Post
I often found my first gen 390's stock shock too soft for my weight (85+). It was a major gripe among international Duke owners as well.
I have mine set up on 8

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 15:20   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16h22 View Post
I still can't understand why you went with the speed as an impulsive buy without a long TD or renting the bike . Especially after the long discussion on your health issues. Getting to know your next bike is very important when you have such health limitations.

Can't blame the manufacturers for not tailoring the suspension to work for every rider weight bracket. They usually go with the middle ground when it comes to choosing spring rates, damping etc. It is pretty much impossible to cater to all rider weights with basic budget suspension on these small bikes. Even the bigger premium bike owners mess around with spring rates and damping rates to tailor the suspension to their weight and riding pattern, abroad.

Check the tyre pressure before you do anything else. Then move on to lowest preload settings if you think the shock isn't compressing enough with your weight on it. With the front shock, you might have to modify the stock preload spacer to do something about the preload. 60kgs is pretty featherweight and you'll find most sporty bikes to be harsh. Speed, despite the neo retro styling, is a street naked and not a true retro like a classic 350. The Duke has a soft rear shock and that's probably why you found it good. I often found my first gen 390's stock shock too soft for my weight (85+). It was a major gripe among international Duke owners as well.
I set it at 1 to test and I was still getting tossed off the seat. Now set to 2 and I think it feels ok-ok. Have to test more.
Old 1st August 2024, 15:37   #13
BHPian

Quote:
I set it at 1 to test and I was still getting tossed off the seat. Now set to 2 and I think it feels ok-ok. Have to test more.
If that's the case, it's better to do rider sag check and get that dialled in. Could be that the rear shock is compressing too much and hitting the bump stop.
b16h22 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 15:39   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Basically you are so light that the bike's normal sag compression and rebound is throwing you around, what you call bouncing or tossing.

The higher preload you dial in, the less will be the sag (not a factor in your case due to your weight) but more importantly, the less also will be the rebound.

I think (right now its not your weight that is causing the bike to rebound, but the momentum and movement of the bike and its sprung weight itself)

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 15:41   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Basically you are so light that the bike's normal sag compression and rebound is throwing you around, what you call bouncing or tossing.

The higher preload you dial in, the less will be the sag (not a factor in your case due to your weight) but more importantly, the less also will be the rebound.

I think (right now its not your weight that is causing the bike to rebound, but the momentum and movement of the bike and its sprung weight itself)

Cheers, Doc
Hoping two does the trick as I did a short ride and it felt ok ok. 1 step higher than stock didn't work because I was getting tossed off the seat. Don't want to make it harder as that would defeat the purpose of me looking for a plush suspension haha. Fingers crossed. I was going to cry an hour ago.

EDIT- Fun fact. I used to be 20KGs heavier. Had to do a lot of work to get to this weight. I am 5'75

Last edited by nr07 : 1st August 2024 at 15:43.
nr07 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks