Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2024, 10:19   #16
BHPian

Re: The Almighty Conundrum - 2nd motorcycle for 5.5 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Max View Post
The NX 500 is to die for. But I cant find test rides here in Chennai bigwing network !
If you strike out "not a used bike" from point 6, then a CB500X satisfies all your requirements. But those pre-owned machines are hard to come by.
t3rm1n80r is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 11:09   #17
BHPian

Aprilia 457, fulfils all your criteria!
Looks HOT,
Rides Hotter.

Check out some shots here:
https://www.instagram.com/p/C9mPCiZy0JT/?img_index=1
Nitish.arnold is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 11:26   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratan Prabhu View Post
Very reluctantly, I can vote for Ninja 300 to fit most of your requirements. Will cost around 4.50L on road.
Seconded. Though full disclosure, I do own a Ninja 300 too so there is certainly some personal bias in this opinion.
Despite being a decade old and having bare bones tech, it still holds on due to the odd set of targets it meets which in turn match your expectation pretty well.
  • Light with a low center of gravity with a touring focused rider's triangle.
  • Almost zero vibrations.
  • Holds 150 km/h all day and 10 km/h in traffic without heating up.
  • Mileage varies from 24kp/l - 31km/l.
  • The lack of tech also means it is a child's play to work on incase anything goes wrong but it never will.

The RS457 has it beat in almost everything apart from the price and perhaps reliability, but I would wait for a few months before buying one to ensure the first batch niggles are sorted out, especially with Aprilia.

The Versys 300x might also be worth waiting for provided Kawasaki prices it after doing 15 minutes of market research as opposed to their usual go to method -
Throwing darts at a bunch of numbers blindfolded.
Nayra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 11:42   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3rm1n80r View Post
If you strike out "not a used bike" from point 6, then a CB500X satisfies all your requirements. But those pre-owned machines are hard to come by.
I see someone else also mentioned the 500X. As you have already acknowledged, it's next to impossible to find anywhere in India. I was/am in the same boat and more or less similar expectation from my next bike. But I am open to used bike and particular about adventure tourer form. CB500X was one that fit the bill very well, but I gave up after noticing that I might as well invest my 5L, grow it to 7L and buy the NX500. Not that I am going to, though. This gave me the opportunity to appreciate my current ride a bit more and decided to keep it for another year or so.

When I was still thinking about the replacement, I did consider the CF Moto 650MT, which is still available with some discount, but then comes with its own risks. Anyway, while we are at it, let me also throw in the CF Moto 450MT in the ring. When I asked the CF Moto people in Bangalore about 450MT, they said they don't sell it directly, but for the interested crazy people, they can import on demand. Just that it will cost around 8L.

All said and done, it's astonishing to note that only 1 bike in Aprilia 457 that seem to tick all the boxes.
prakash_ajp is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 15:05   #20
BHPian

How about the new Guerrilla 452? I'm in a similar dilemma as you are, and have roughly the same set of requirements. This is now my top pick, followed quite closely by the Triumph 400s. Vibrations aren't a huge issue on either bike from what I can tell (by reviews on the RE, own experience on the Triumphs). Also considering the Honda CB gang just for that extra mileage in the city.

Outside contender- VStrom SX. Good ergos, decent suspension, cruising speed of 110-120, with plenty of money leftover from your budget for another bike even!
Sudarshan42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 15:39   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan42 View Post
How about the new Guerrilla 452?...Vibrations aren't a huge issue on either bike from what I can tell (by reviews on the RE
Please check his first requirement:

Quote:
1. MUST BE A "non-vibrating" multi cylinder vehicle OR a "non-vibrating" single which can cruise at 100-140 with ease.
Come what may, don't go by what these reviewers try to make you believe on their reels and YT channels. Most of them just read out the spec sheet from the brochure and sing along what other reviewers are saying. There is no way an RE stay vibe free in the triple digit speed range.
R-Six is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 15:46   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Team-BHP folks!

First my requirements:
1. MUST BE A "non-vibrating" multi cylinder vehicle OR a "non-vibrating" single which can cruise at 100-140 with ease.
2. Has to give a minimum of 25-30 kmpl in city conditions (I like to hypermile and go for occasional speed bursts) and have sufficient ground clearance.
3. Preferably light weight, say around 165-190 kilos
4. Long rides will be done say once a month.
5. Not brand conscious (But i don't want any bikes originating outside our country's northern borders).
6. Budget under 5.5 lakhs and not a used bike.
7. Can be any type of bike, say an ADV/Faired bike/Cruiser. Anything!

Please share your views on firstly whether my expectations are preposterous or fair and then suggest a good alternative.

Cheers,
V.Max
Very demanding need and one bike which will never disappoint you will be RE Himalayan 450. If I were at your place would have opt for RE Shotgun650 which takes care the shortcomings of Interceptor and SM.

Last edited by DDIS_RE650 : 1st August 2024 at 15:49.
DDIS_RE650 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 15:53   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Six View Post
Please check his first requirement:

Come what may, don't go by what these reviewers try to make you believe on their reels and YT channels. Most of them just read out the spec sheet from the brochure and sing along what other reviewers are saying. There is no way an RE stay vibe free in the triple digit speed range.
Not saying they're vibe free. There is no single cylinder anywhere that doesn't vibrate at any RPM range. Just that both on the Himalayan and the Guerrilla, the vibrations aren't a dealbreaker. And yes, I've tried the Himalayan which shares its engine with the other bike. "Vibe free" is an illusion, we'd all be better off sticking to EVs if we wanted that.

I've tried the Himalayan for a few 100kms on the highway at speeds upto 120kph, and this isn't coming from Youtube. The vibes weren't what you'd call "RE single" level, and I'm sure other users will vouch for it. Hence recommended the Guerrilla.

Last edited by Sudarshan42 : 1st August 2024 at 15:55.
Sudarshan42 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 17:05   #24
BHPian

If only you were open to Pre Owned bikes. If you are, then your other 5 points barring the mileage can be satisfied. There is one bike that can come close to meet mileage point as well. The CBR650F (not the R) is very tractable in city, comes within your budget, can comfortably cruise at 140kmph all day long, vibe free motor, reasonable weight, manage heat well, affordable servicing, reliable, and can give 22-25kmpl if ridden sensibly; even 25+ on highways.
Flyingdutchman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 17:22   #25

Two bikes which match your exact requirements are the Kawasaki Ninja 300 & Aprillia RS457, In this global market why stick to Indian borders, In general schemes of things majority of products displayed as made in India are more of "Assembled in India or made for India products" as opposed to manufactured in India.
Moreover making a case for you these two bikes are manufactured in India this is a step inline with your philosophy.
The twin cylinders truly made in India are good compared to say what was available a decade back in India but the other brands originating out of India are truly a class apart.
You should definitely get a twin cylinder the difference in the way the power is felt and delivered is worth all the hype.
I am saying this keeping the joy of riding at the paramount.
kd_r16 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 20:51   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
The cheapest to maintain will always be the KTM as parts are cheap and service cost is a blessing.

There is always the concern of reliability but 50% of owners have done 1L plus with usual maintenance and 50% have rebuilt the engine after 50K km which is also cheap.

Chennai and test-riding Honda and Kawasaki is not possible. Their bikes sell and the dealers are useless and deserve no praise.
I love KTMs but for their buzzy nature. Agree with you on the maintenance cost. Have you come across ideas to contain the 390's vibe/buzz? Is there any aftermarket solution??

About Bigwing & Kawasaki Chennai, I second you, with a lot of pain! Sometimes I feel like heading to Bengaluru for test rides!

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3rm1n80r View Post
Came across a 2021 CB500X for approximately 4.5 lakhs. It has run 8000 kms. Do you think its a good deal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitish.arnold View Post
Aprilia 457, fulfils all your criteria!
Looks HOT,
Rides Hotter.

Check out some shots here:
https://www.instagram.com/p/C9mPCiZy0JT/?img_index=1
Looks awesome man! The 457's Tank range worries me a bit. But will consider it harder for sure. Its a total package. How has your service experience been with Aprilia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayra View Post
Seconded. Though full disclosure, I do own a Ninja 300 too so there is certainly some personal bias in this opinion.
Despite being a decade old and having bare bones tech, it still holds on due to the odd set of targets it meets which in turn match your expectation pretty well.
  • Light with a low center of gravity with a touring focused rider's triangle.
  • Almost zero vibrations.
  • Holds 150 km/h all day and 10 km/h in traffic without heating up.
  • Mileage varies from 24kp/l - 31km/l.
  • The lack of tech also means it is a child's play to work on incase anything goes wrong but it never will.
Gave it a long thought actually. How is the engine heat in a city like Chennai?? Though you've answered it, I'm asking about it specifically again since a couple of owners said that they had a hard time with engine heat in Chennai traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
I see someone else also mentioned the 500X. As you have already acknowledged, it's next to impossible to find anywhere in India. I was/am in the same boat and more or less similar expectation from my next bike. But I am open to used bike and particular about adventure tourer form. CB500X was one that fit the bill very well, but I gave up after noticing that I might as well invest my 5L, grow it to 7L and buy the NX500. Not that I am going to, though. This gave me the opportunity to appreciate my current ride a bit more and decided to keep it for another year or so.
What is your current ride? By the way, I came across a 2021 CB500X for approximately 4.5 lakhs. It has run 8000 kms. Do you think its a good deal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDIS_RE650 View Post
Very demanding need and one bike which will never disappoint you will be RE Himalayan 450. If I were at your place would have opt for RE Shotgun650 which takes care the shortcomings of Interceptor and SM.
Shotgun weighs a lot at 240 kilos man! If only they launch the Bear 650 soon enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingdutchman View Post
If only you were open to Pre Owned bikes. If you are, then your other 5 points barring the mileage can be satisfied. There is one bike that can come close to meet mileage point as well. The CBR650F (not the R) is very tractable in city, comes within your budget, can comfortably cruise at 140kmph all day long, vibe free motor, reasonable weight, manage heat well, affordable servicing, reliable, and can give 22-25kmpl if ridden sensibly; even 25+ on highways.
CBR650F if i'm not mistaken is hard to find and has low ground clearance! But yeah, its a beast of a bike! No doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan42 View Post
Not saying they're vibe free. There is no single cylinder anywhere that doesn't vibrate at any RPM range. Just that both on the Himalayan and the Guerrilla, the vibrations aren't a dealbreaker. And yes, I've tried the Himalayan which shares its engine with the other bike. "Vibe free" is an illusion, we'd all be better off sticking to EVs if we wanted that.
To be frank, Honda makes amazing vibe free motorcycles. If they can, I guess its fair to expect other makers to be as good yeah? Nobody wants to spend dollops of money to buy a giant vibrator on 2 wheels. But what we should remember is vibration is a grey area. Some people comment on it after using gloves to ride. Some people comment on it while riding bare hands. So what is vibration for one, ends up being buzz for another!

[quote=Sudarshan42;5814608]
Quote:
Originally Posted by b16h22 View Post
You might have to wait for the Versys 300x.
Saw spy shot news today. Pretty excited for that and the RE Himalayan 650 too! Amazing days ahead !
V.Max is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 21:09   #27
BHPian

Honda's vibe free engines are those with a lower compression ratio and are largely unstressed engines. Case in point- the CB350 brigade. Very smooth engines, but you have to be ok with a lower power output. Can't have both in the single cylinder domain. I think you should look exclusively at multi cylinder bikes then- also look at Benelli if you don't want to increase your budget to Kawasaki levels.

Or- add 2-3 more lakhs and get a Ninja 650- it'll be a 10 year purchase.
Sudarshan42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 21:48   #28

I would recommend CB300R, relatively smooth, cruses at 100-110 comfortably. Light weight agile bike for the city rides. Should give an economy of about 35KMPL.
aa-Crecy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 21:55   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Came across a 2021 CB500X for approximately 4.5 lakhs. It has run 8000 kms. Do you think its a good deal?
It certainly is a good deal. If you change your mind to look at pre-owned bikes, you should certainly take a look. It is fairly new, and run less than 10K kms. Even the asking price seems to be fair, given that the first owner has already taken the depreciation hit. Give it a try, may be you will like it.

Otherwise you can wait for a couple of more months and Honda is expected start importing the NX500 early next year.

The only pain point I could envision for these Hondas would be the availability of spares.

Cheers,
R-Six
R-Six is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2024, 00:28   #30

As per me there are two options...

1. You could go ahead with the CB500x. I think it's a steal for 4.5 lakhs, subject to its current condition. It's a great bike, a true jack of all trades. Also you'll be getting it with all the accessories already fitted ( I'm hoping the owner has installed some). The only con is that it feels a bit unexciting and the availability of spares in future.

2.Just saw the spy shots of the Himalayan 650. Since you have already waited for so long, why not wait for some more time and then go for this. I'm also waiting for it with my fingers crossed. It will fit all your needs and also the spares availability will not be an issue. The only con will be that you'll have to wait for atleast 1 more year for it to launch and then some more if you don't wish to buy from the initial batches...
Siavi is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks