Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2024, 11:18   #1
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
1st Motorcycle | Honda CB300R Vs KTM RC200 Vs Triumph Speed 400

Hello everyone, I'm a long time reader but a first time poster.

At long last I've convinced my parents to buy me a bike and by god was it a task. (Finally managed by telling them that a bike is safer than a scooter because of abs XD). Also I apologise if this is the wrong thread to have posted this query in- as I said, I haven't posted here before.

Now onto my requirements- I'm looking for something that has decent power, great handling dynamics and costs lesser than Rs 3.5 lakhs. Would prefer a bike that is lighter because most of my riding will be done on ORR, Bangalore (an absolute traffic hellscape).

Bikes under consideration:

Honda CB300R

The current front runner due to its power to weight ratio and neo-retro aesthetics

PROS:
1) Light weight (146kg)
2) Assumed Honda reliability
3) Design

CONS:
1) Over priced for what it offers (but willing to overlook that)
2) Horror Stories online regarding availability of spares and the service offered at BigWing. (Especially seek owner inputs regarding this in Bangalore)
3) Worried about discontinuation

KTM RC200

A bike that tugs at my heartstrings however practicality (vis-a-vis both posture and gearing) is a matter of concern.

PROS:
1) Sharp looks
2) Fun riding dynamics

CONS:
1) Unsure about KTM reliability
2) Low power to weight ratio
3) Not the greatest VFM

(Need user experience about how the service and spares scene is)

Triumph Speed400

Great VFM, however the looks and lack of exclusivity don't make this a top contender.

PROS:
1) Great VFM
2) Powerful

CONS:
1) Very common now
2) Lack of colour options

These are the bikes that I'd shortlisted during my research, would be open to other recommendations from you all.

Also would be willing to wait for any upcoming bikes that may be worthwhile (continental GT 450 intended) and if the bikes above are listed to be upgraded/updated. (Please let me know if there is any information)

Thanks for taking the time to read this, look forward to your opinions

PS: forgive the formatting please - I'm terrible at posting on my phone.

Last edited by Axe77 : 30th July 2024 at 14:57. Reason: Format corrected, please use a computer initially to get the hang of formatting on the forum.
YoungDumbBroke is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th July 2024, 11:22   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: 1st Motorcycle | Honda CB300R Vs KTM RC200 Vs Triumph Speed 400

How old are you and how many years you have been using bikes? If starting into riding I would suggest you get a 150-200 range bike, preowned would be better. Get the hang of it, trash it and then after a year or so go for a bigger CC bike. There is no easy way than experience and practice to tame larger capacity bikes, they may look cool but a smart person would invest in upgrading skills before jumping into this.

On the other hand if you are good rider, I would suggest KTM to start off. It is a hooligan, very easy to maintain thanks to service all across and very reasonable spare prices. But do keep that right wrist under control, it can be a handful bike otherwise.
Jaggu is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th July 2024, 12:20   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Re: 1st Motorcycle | Honda CB300R Vs KTM RC200 Vs Triumph Speed 400

I see that you are a student currently riding a scooter and looking for your first bike, in that case, what @Jaggu said is the best, you need to get a smaller displacement used bike at first, get the hang of it and then go for the bigger ones.
bijims is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th July 2024, 13:11   #4
BHPian

I would not recommend buying a 25+ bhp motorcycle as your first.

Since you are still dependent on your parents to finance your purchase, buy something that's easy on the pocket with good fuel economy and affordable spares/service scene.

Based on this criteria, the KTM RC200 would be the best pick from your list.
amyntor is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 30th July 2024, 15:04   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
How old are you and how many years you have been using bikes? If starting into riding I would suggest you get a 150-200 range bike, preowned would be better. Get the hang of it, trash it and then after a year or so go for a bigger CC bike. There is no easy way than experience and practice to tame larger capacity bikes, they may look cool but a smart person would invest in upgrading skills before jumping into this.

On the other hand if you are good rider, I would suggest KTM to start off. It is a hooligan, very easy to maintain thanks to service all across and very reasonable spare prices. But do keep that right wrist under control, it can be a handful bike otherwise.
Hi Jaggu- firstly, appreciate your help with the formatting .

I'm a 20 year old and I have been riding since I was 16 (mainly back home in a small town) and have had my share of fun on Splendors and RX100s.
I agree about the aspect of getting a used lower displacement bike first. However, my parents arent comfortable with the idea of getting one used; and getting a new lower displacement bike doesn't seem like a good idea considering that I intend on using it for a minimum of 5 years and as such a bike with a slightly higher power output would be nicer. I dont mind spending the extra time honing my skills (I have a cousin's pulsar that i can borrow).

Appreciate your opinion and am definitely veering more towards a KTM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyntor View Post
I would not recommend buying a 25+ bhp motorcycle as your first.

Since you are still dependent on your parents to finance your purchase, buy something that's easy on the pocket with good fuel economy and affordable spares/service scene.

Based on this criteria, the KTM RC200 would be the best pick from your list.
I see, Thanks!

Last edited by KarthikK : 30th July 2024 at 15:34.
Old 30th July 2024, 15:12   #6
BHPian

If majority of your riding will be in city traffic, I wouldn't recommend the RC200 from your list because riding posture is a bit aggressive which is fun on highways at high speed but is a pain on the palms when in frequent traffic. If you a KTM fan, rather check out the new Duke250.

Honda CB300R and Triumph Speed 400 are perfect for city. Although there is 9bhp difference between them, the acceleration and overall performance is very close (triumph slightly faster)

I don't think you need to worry about Honda discontinuing the bike but spares can be an issue as they may take 2 weeks to arrive after placing order at the ASC. But the fast moving spares like air/oil filters, brake pads, cables are usually available in stock (atleast in Mumbai BigWing they are)

I think you should test ride them both and decide between these 2 bikes. My vote goes for the Honda as it is more light weight, slightly less powerful and feels like a perfect first motorcycle to own (since you upgrading from a scooter) and as I own CBR250R since over 12 years, can vouch for its reliability if you intend to keep it for many years.

Last edited by Ratan Prabhu : 30th July 2024 at 15:35.
Ratan Prabhu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2024, 16:45   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratan Prabhu View Post
If majority of your riding will be in city traffic,
=====
My vote goes for the Honda as it is more light weight, slightly less powerful and feels like a perfect first motorcycle to own (since you upgrading from a scooter) and as I own CBR250R since over 12 years, can vouch for its reliability if you intend to keep it for many years.
Hi Ratan, I appreciate the info. The uncertainty of how BigWing support might be on a low-volumes bike like this was a major concern for me.

Last edited by Jaggu : 30th July 2024 at 21:39. Reason: Trimming quoted post, please avoid quoting entire large post for replies. Thanks.
Old 30th July 2024, 17:53   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungDumbBroke View Post
Hi Ratan, I appreciate the info. The uncertainty of how BigWing support might be on a low-volumes bike like this was a major concern for me.
Yes, the monthly sales are poor for Honda (200 units a month average as against 1000 units a month for Duke250 and 1500 units a month for Speed400). So the concern is understandable. Anyway, all 3 are very good bikes and you won't go wrong with either of them. Do be gentle as it will be your first motorcycle and all 3 are sub 8 second 0-100 bikes.
Ratan Prabhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2024, 19:51   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungDumbBroke View Post
Hello everyone, I'm a long time reader but a first time poster.
Hi and Welcome to the forum. Of the three, my pick would be for the KTM RC200. I guess you already know from my username, which motorcycle I ride being its competitor. If you're concerned about committed riding position, it really isn't that much of a big deal as soon as you get the hang of how to ideally handle a sports bike by gripping the tank with your thighs and reducing pressure on your wrists. My R15 is nearing 20k with 1.8 years of ownership and I have ridden for 40 km commutes as well as long rides of 200+ km. At this age especially, don't worry too much of the ergonomics is my opinion. Infact this is the best age to try a sports bike if you're into it.

The RC200 I feel is the best one of the three because it has the right amount of power for a first bike and also I am sure its exciting enough to aspire for. If you have room for one more, well I would obviously suggest the R15
R15M_Rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2024, 22:10   #10
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

This is your first bike so you are making this beginner error in your picks. You are primarily basing your requirements on what ticks your heart. I remember because I had similar choices when I started out.

However, the RC200 and the Speed 400 are very different motorcycles. There's no comparison.

The Speed 400 is a commuter-ish bike which happens to have a lot of power. The power is not however as accessible in top range of RPM like the RC or the Honda. This bike is going to be comfortable with some good acceleration when you need.

The Honda is a close competitor to the Duke. Mad power, small bike, ok ok comfort. Pillion comfort is not going to be good.

RC is a track motorcycle. So, expect bare minimum comfort, maximum high speed thrill. However, using this hooligan track bike on our broken Indian roads while you wear normal clothing might give you some mixed feelings.

If you have to use a track motorcycle that's hard on your body, your age is the ideal age for it. You might hesitate riding something like this later in your life. However, this bike is something that you might also end up regretting. So, I would suggest you to rent it for a day or two and ride it.

If you like it, get it. Otherwise, if you have the same budget, your choices should be Duke 250/200 vs Speed 400 vs CB. I would also NOT RECOMMEND getting a 25BHP+ motorcycle as a beginner. It is very easy to get carried away.
nr07 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2024, 10:21   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by R15M_Rider View Post
Hi and Welcome to the forum. Of the three, my pick would be for the KTM RC200. I guess you already know from my username, which motorcycle I ride being its competitor. If you're concerned about committed riding position, it really isn't that much of a big deal as soon as you get the hang of how to ideally handle a sports bike by gripping the tank with your thighs and reducing pressure on your wrists.
Hi, thanks!

Appreciate the information, and I agree- this is the age for me to do something as impractical just for the kick
YoungDumbBroke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2024, 10:28   #12

I would whole heartedly recommend the Speed 400 if you are a beginner rider with enough self control on the throttle, I too was in the same dilemma and got the Speed 400 finally, the power delivery is very linear (after all the ECU updates it got) and it's the midrange which is very it makes the most power and torque. Also the ergonomics are quite sorted and very friendly for a beginner.
torqueiscr4zy8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2024, 10:29   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nr07 View Post
This is your first bike so you are making this beginner error in your picks. You are primarily basing your requirements on what ticks your heart. I remember because I had similar choices when I started out.

However, the RC200 and the Speed 400 are very different motorcycles. There's no comparison.

The Speed 400 is a commuter-ish bike which happens to have a lot of power.

Hi, appreciate the perspective, and I do agree about the Speed400 not fitting my bill for a quick and sharp bike.

Also, i see that you own a Duke 200. I'd like to know what your experience thus far has been with its reliability.
Old 31st July 2024, 10:38   #14
BHPian

As someone who jumped from an Activa to a Thunderbird 500 and learned how to ride a geared vehicle on the TB500, I don't think there's any real problem with getting a bigger displacement bike as your very first. However, there's something to be said for safety, and in this case, I would suggest looking for something manageable and that fits your use case. Merely going for something because you want it is somewhat unreasonable, since this is effectively going to be a one-bike garage. I would agree with R15M_Rider here: the R15 is a more friendly and more every-day friendly bike than the RC200, no question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R15M_Rider View Post
I guess you already know from my username, which motorcycle I ride being its competitor.
I see no reason not to get the Triumph Speed 400 as your first, since it's such a friendly bike, almost like the Duke 250. If go easy at first and take the time to get familiar with it, it should make an excellent first. Remember, this was in fact designed to be a beginner bike in Europe and America, and that should be encouraging. On the Honda, this is the RC200's big brother; slightly more powerful, lighter, and more agile, perfect for someone learning to ride quickly. The only downside is that it's a little outdated. I agree with Ratan Prabhu on the service aspect for the Honda, but it's something which almost every other bike will have; I don't think this is a big issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratan Prabhu View Post
I think you should test ride them both and decide between these 2 bikes. My vote goes for the Honda as it is more light weight, slightly less powerful and feels like a perfect first motorcycle to own (since you upgrading from a scooter) and as I own CBR250R since over 12 years, can vouch for its reliability if you intend to keep it for many years.
However, I do have another suggestion that I think you should consider; the Gixxer 250 SF. Reliable as hell, somewhat old and some Suzuki service issues, but an excellent machine to ride. Responsive, enough power to thrill, and overall just a great faired little sports bike. In my opinion it combines the fun of the Honda CB300R and the racy feel of the RC/R1. 250 cc sports bikes are becoming a rarity anyway, with only Bajaj having the Pulsar line and a few others, and this is the best of the lot.

Last edited by AulusGabinius : 31st July 2024 at 10:47. Reason: Multi-quote
AulusGabinius is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2024, 12:03   #15
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

You should also explore FZ 25, it is nicely positioned between both lower CC segment <150 and 300+ cc and has best of both worlds. Easy to ride / handle , bullet proof Yamaha reliability, comfortable seating and perfect for Bangalore's traffic.

If you are truly into riding motorcycles then I would recommend you to start with R15M (V4), you will get used to the features (inverted forks / slipper clutch etc.) and the aggressive ride position before graduating to larger segments (400 to 600 cc). R15 is 101 for starter bike riders
Asoon is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks