Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2024, 21:12   #1

Royal Enfield Continental GT 650 Review | One year with my Apex Grey machine

One year with Continental GT650

Last month, I happen to complete one year of ownership of Continental GT 650(Apex Grey). Currently the bike Odo is at 5600 Kms. It has completed all 3 free services. Owning the bike has been mixed feelings. While I have been delighted with the looks and performance of the bike, there are certain dislikes.

2023 RE Continental GT 650:
Royal Enfield Continental GT 650 Review | One year with my Apex Grey machine-bike1.jpeg

Why Continental GT ?

In 2017-18, I was looking for a logical upgrade from pulsar 200 DTSI and thought 650 twins were the ones within my budget. However I was not happy with tubed tyre set-up & overdone chrome. Meanwhile I had to get rid of my ageing SX4 & buy a new car as well. I postponed the bike purchase plan. Later I travelled to US for work, Covid happened and I moved to new house. Thought of buying the bike came up again in 2023 when RE was testing the upgraded 650 twins. I test rode Interceptor & GT(both old ones) back-to-back couple of times. I liked the committed riding stance of GT compared to the laidback one in interceptor. This along with the good looks, I made up my mind and booked apex Grey GT through RE app. Though the delivery was delayed, I was happy to get my GT in June 2023.

PDI in dealer stockyard, Acclaim Motors Yelahanka:
Royal Enfield Continental GT 650 Review | One year with my Apex Grey machine-pdi.jpeg

Pooja on delivered day:
Royal Enfield Continental GT 650 Review | One year with my Apex Grey machine-pooja.jpeg

Bike with touring seat, Large Engine gaurd and sump gaurd:
Royal Enfield Continental GT 650 Review | One year with my Apex Grey machine-bike2.jpg

After PPF and Ceramic coating:
Royal Enfield Continental GT 650 Review | One year with my Apex Grey machine-ppfcermaic.jpg

Ownership Experience:

After a week of delivery, I got the PPF done (before going to 1st service). Initially I took time to get used to the weight of the bike. In fact I have dropped it couple of times during push pull movement with only hand. Gradually I have learnt how to handle the bike. Bike has been primarly used for office commute which is 20 Kms round trip on a route with very less traffic. Bike is definetly pain to ride in B2B traffic due to weight and handle bar positioning and I completely avoid it. Surprisingly, I felt it comfortable on highways. I have done couple of day rides(around 250 KMs) with wife as pillion. Also have done 3 solo trips of Bangalore-Davangere(280 KMs).

First trip to Davangere:
Royal Enfield Continental GT 650 Review | One year with my Apex Grey machine-tour1.jpg

Bike is definitely fast for me and performance is more than asked for. Being in my 40s, I have not dared to cross 130 KMPH on it, nor will I ever. Braking is good and I am yet to encounter any panic breaking scenarios. I am getting around 22 KMPL of mileage in city and around 25 KMPL (100 KMPH speed) on highways. Servicing at Acclaim Motors, Yelahanka has been satisfactory so far. The bike has been trouble free so far.

More trips to Davangere:
Royal Enfield Continental GT 650 Review | One year with my Apex Grey machine-tour2.jpg

Royal Enfield Continental GT 650 Review | One year with my Apex Grey machine-tour3.jpg

Royal Enfield Continental GT 650 Review | One year with my Apex Grey machine-tour4.jpg

Dislikes:

Most of my dislikes towards the bike are related to its limitations to do highway trips. Please do not get me wrong here. I am very well aware that this bike is not touring friendly. But I still feel there is a scope to make it a better bike.

1. Handle Bar Height - There is a feel of pressure on wrists after sometime. Well, I have accustomed to it, RE could have placed handlebar couple of inches higher without compromising on the looks. I tried to order zana handlebars but their customer care was not sure if it fits the updated GT's switchgears.

2. Fuel Tank Capacity - It is 10 liters and there is no problem in city usage. But when travelling on highways, I really need to plan fuel stops after 150-160 kms, which I really hate. A bigger 15 liter tank would have been good. (Fun Fact:- My previous ride Pulsar 200 DTSI used to accomodate 20 litres and I had done Bangalore-Ooty-Banglore round trip without any refueling.)

3. Headlight - The new LED headlight is good but not really useful for those night highways rides. I dont have any plans to upgrade the same as of now.

Modifications:

I am not much into modifications. The biggest mod I have done is to install bar end mirrors. Got a aftermarket set from amazon & installed them myself. Also I removed saree gaurd and pillion handle bar. I am trying out a new solution for handle bar height and will update on the same here.

Bar End Mirrors:
Royal Enfield Continental GT 650 Review | One year with my Apex Grey machine-mod.jpg

Royal Enfield Continental GT 650 Review | One year with my Apex Grey machine-mod2.jpg

Royal Enfield Continental GT 650 Review | One year with my Apex Grey machine-mod3.jpg

Overall I am contented with owning GT650 and looking forward to more rides.
Thank you all for reading. Cheers !!

Parting Shots:
Royal Enfield Continental GT 650 Review | One year with my Apex Grey machine-nature.jpg

Royal Enfield Continental GT 650 Review | One year with my Apex Grey machine-parting.jpg
happymover is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 30th July 2024, 16:35   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Royal Enfield Continental GT 650 Review | One year with my Apex Grey machine

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2024, 17:48   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
re: Royal Enfield Continental GT 650 Review | One year with my Apex Grey machine

Nice review and great pictures of your ride. Wishing you many great rides ahead!
bijims is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2024, 11:08   #4
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Continental GT 650 Review | One year with my Apex Grey machine

I have not seen GT's in this color yet. Wow it looks good. Thank you for posting your review. The shots taken of the bike, coupled with the background is just fantastic. Especially the windmills. Reminds me of Southern tamil nadu ( aralvaimozhi) where this is how the landscape is.
doomketu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2024, 12:59   #5
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Continental GT 650 Review | One year with my Apex Grey machine

Congratulations and wishing you many happy miles with the GT. Happened to ride one for the first time in 2019 in Ice Queen colour and I was so much impressed with the torque back then, coming from a Cbr 250. That was my introduction to the 650 twins and thought to get one as soon as RE comes up with alloys in the Ice Queen colour scheme.

Long story short, they took over 4 years and the twins finally have alloys and happened to see one on display at PVR Cinemas - Inorbit Mall in Hyderabad. It stood out and felt so close to a Norton motorcycle in that glazing colour. IMHO, it’s the best paint scheme among the INT and GT black versions.

The tank capacity in itself is 12.7l however the usable range without drying out the tank would be 10l.

How are the Vredesteins holding up grip wise in dry and wet, and what’s the tyre life post 5k plus kms?

Last edited by raiuday : 31st July 2024 at 13:02.
raiuday is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2024, 14:37   #6
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Great lil review! Btw, could you share some insights on engine heat?
V.Max is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2024, 17:35   #7

First of all many thanks to moderators and GTO for approving my write-up. Today is one of the happiest day for me since my post made it to Homepage . This will definitely encourage me to write more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijims View Post
Nice review and great pictures of your ride. Wishing you many great rides ahead!
Thank you for your wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomketu View Post
I have not seen GT's in this color yet. Wow it looks good. Thank you for posting your review. The shots taken of the bike, coupled with the background is just fantastic. Especially the windmills. Reminds me of Southern tamil nadu ( aralvaimozhi) where this is how the landscape is.
Thank you for your appreciation. I had booked the bike without seeing the color in actual. I found the color to be unique and quite liked it. The windmill picture location is Chitradurga Bye-pass on NH4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiuday View Post
How are the Vredesteins holding up grip wise in dry and wet, and what’s the tyre life post 5k plus kms?
While I am not a corner carver, the grip is quite good on both dry and wet tar surfaces. I do not feel confident on concrete surfaces, especially the ones in office parking lots, when turning. The tyres are still good post 5K and I feel they would have long life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Max View Post
Great lil review! Btw, could you share some insights on engine heat?
Thank you. Engine heat is there and will be felt in long B2B traffic rides. On long highway rides, it does not bother much. Since my usage is either short city rides or long highway rides, I am not much bothered with it.
happymover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2024, 17:59   #8
BHPian

Congratulations happymover on your new ride! The grey color looks really good. I'm seeing a GT in this shade for the first time.

I own the GT 535 so it is always a great feeling to see someone picking up this one instead of the Interceptor among the twins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymover View Post
The tyres are still good post 5K and I feel they would have long life.
Do they still comes with Pirelli Sport Demon? If yes, It might last for another 5K. But keep checking from time to time.

Also, how is the weight? Manageable at parking speeds or moving the bike around? That was one thing I struggled initially, especially with the clip-ons. I see that the GT650 has a bit more relaxed posture even with clip-ons compared to the 535. I feel the fuel tank on my bike is a bit more longer, making the reach to the clip-ons even difficult.

Anyway, happy riding!

Cheers,
R-Six
Old 1st August 2024, 11:08   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Six View Post
Do they still comes with Pirelli Sport Demon? If yes, It might last for another 5K. But keep checking from time to time.

Also, how is the weight? Manageable at parking speeds or moving the bike around?
Thank you R-Six for the wishes.
GT comes with vredestein tyres. They still look good after 5K.
Initially weight of the bike did bother me. Now I have adapted myself.

I am planning a mod to raise handler bar couple of inches and have sourced the parts for the same. I will keep this thread updated of the same.
Old 1st August 2024, 12:54   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymover View Post
I am planning a mod to raise handler bar couple of inches and have sourced the parts for the same. I will keep this thread updated of the same.
I'm running a custom handlebar set up on my GT as well. Changed it to the current set up after using the clip-ons for a few years.

Cross posting it from an older thread just to give you an idea of how my set up looks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Six View Post

So, I had moved to the Himalayan handlebar set up early this year and was not really happy with it. The overall feel of the bike was good, but the thunderbird handlebar mount I had used was not something that inspired a lot of confidence. Lately, there was some movement around the mount (to and fro rocking movement at hard breaking) that was bothering me quite a bit. It was due to the mess that the mech had made while drilling the holes.

I was also thinking that I should revert to the clip-on set up for winter rides. I was planning to get that set up back when the bike was due to for its next service. But all this plan changed when I chanced upon the custom handlebar riser set up a Bangalore based fabricator had designed specifically for the GT 535 listed on Amazon. But it was out of stock at that time. Reached out to the seller (Viv Design) through FB and got to know that he might make the next lot sometime later if he has enough prospects. All the excitement I had after seeing the product listing went in vain. He promised me to inform me once the next slot is ready. But since we do not have too many GT owners, I was not really expecting any good news any time soon.

But I was in for a surprise when Viv Designs reached out to me on FB to confirm that the next lot is ready and wanted to see if I'm still interested. I told him yes without a second thought. The custom handlebar set up is almost a copy of the handlebar riser designed by UK based Hitchcock Motorcycles.

Since I ordered directly through FB and made the payment through G-Pay, it cost me 5900+480 (shipping to Ahmedabad). It was listed on Amazon for 6300+shipping.

Link to the listing on Amazon if someone wants to take a look: Viv Designs Aluminium Handlebar Raisers for Royal Enfield Continental GT 535

Here are some pictures of the new set up.
Attachment 1946675

Attachment 1946676

Attachment 1946674

Attachment 1946677
Hope this helps.

Ride Safe,
R-Six
R-Six is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2024, 15:27   #11
BHPian

Congrats OP on the acquisition, wishing you many happy and trouble-free miles with the GT650. That shade looks beautiful. I was always drawn to the 650cc engine for the sheer aural pleasure and the relentless pull it provides through. Please do post your short-term and long-term ownership reviews of the bike, when time and situation permit. I feel the 650cc platform would the perfect upgrade for me, coming from a Thunderbird 350, however I would like to know more on the reliability aspects of the bike (engine reliability, parts reliability etc) as the TB350 was more of a drama queen requiring consistent pampering and upkeep. I know that tank range is a concern, but then again, we don't buy 650cc for mileage, do we?

Cheers,
NI
Old 7th August 2024, 10:25   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss11011988 View Post
I feel the 650cc platform would the perfect upgrade for me, coming from a Thunderbird 350, however I would like to know more on the reliability aspects of the bike (engine reliability, parts reliability etc) as the TB350 was more of a drama queen requiring consistent pampering and upkeep.
Thank you NI for the wishes !!
I will definitely keep updating my ownership in this thread.
Modern REs are fairly reliable when compared to previous RE models & RE is spawning multiple flavors of bikes using the same 650 engine and there should be a RE650 bike for everyone going forward.
happymover is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks