Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2024, 20:19   #1
BHPian

Fine issued against my Aerox even though the scooter hasn't been used for months

I am seeking advice and assistance regarding a recent fine of 7000Rs that was posted on my two-wheeler, the fine was issued on 27th June 2024 at 6:58 PM.

The offences claimed in the fine contains triple riding, disobeyance of officer, pillion without helmet, using phone while driving to name a few.

Here are the details of the situation:
  • My vehicle has not been used for the past few weeks (almost 1-1.5 months now) and has been parked at my residence during this period.
  • I have raised a grievance on both the Vahan site and the Tamil Nadu Police website and am currently awaiting a response.
  • I also raised this issue with the SIPCOT LTS police station, which issued the fine. Unfortunately, the officers there refused to accept my complaint or provide any resolution.
  • My bike is driven only by me, I do not share the keys with anyone, and I am sure that I have not committed any of the offences that was raised.
  • No one is taking ownership of this and trying to help.
  • I am not able to use my scooter because, any police officer can stop me and detain me/my vehicle for offences that I have not committed.

I had been in my native for the last few weeks and haven't been able to personally visit police station after my initial visit. I have sent an email to Hosur SP, Krishnagiri SP and made numerous follow ups - but in vain.

Given the circumstances, I am looking for guidance on the next steps I should take.
Has anyone faced a similar situation? Any advice on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by psmenon : 22nd July 2024 at 20:35. Reason: Added more points.
psmenon is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2024, 20:49   #2
BHPian

re: Fine issued against my Aerox even though the scooter hasn't been used for months

Reach out to the Bengaluru Traffic Police on their facebook page (messenger). Mention the issue. I have had similar situation where a different vehicle's violation was tagged to my car. The last digits on the car were same as mine but it was a different alphabet, It was a data entry error. Typically the violation notice comes with a picture of the violation as well.

They are very friendly and quick to respond. They verified the vehicle make model of my number plate and the vehicle in the picture and reversed by fine.

Last edited by HillMan : 22nd July 2024 at 20:51.
HillMan is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2024, 20:53   #3
BHPian

re: Fine issued against my Aerox even though the scooter hasn't been used for months

Strange. Could it be a case of someone else faking the Same Registration Numbers on a their/stolen vehicle?

Were the challans issued within one particular locality? Contact one of the nearest traffic police station to bring your case to their notice, if the challans recorded fall within different Traffic PS.

Hyderabad Traffic police shares an image of the vehicle online when they issue a challan and even send a copy home, if i remember correctly. Makes it easy for the individual or Government in a situation like this to argue their case, as it records the time, date and location.
21Archer84 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2024, 00:07   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
Reach out to the Bengaluru Traffic Police on their facebook page (messenger)
The OP mentions that the fines have been issued by TN police in Sipcot Traffic Police Jurisdiction in Hosur not Bangalore Traffic Police.
Funny is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2024, 07:02   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
The OP mentions that the fines have been issued by TN police in Sipcot Traffic Police Jurisdiction in Hosur not Bangalore Traffic Police.
Yeah, i wrote too soon. Just looked at OP's location and fine. But, if you are in Bengaluru, facebook is the best approach. Only messenger is enabled on their page and they reply to the messages individually..
HillMan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2024, 07:59   #6
BHPian

Re: Fine issued against my Aerox even though the scooter hasn't been used for months

In Tamilnadu, you need to make repeated visits to get things done. The person who we should approach to appeal a fine won't be available all the time. They'll try to avoid you at all costs. But since the fine is high, you should make the effort and get it rectified.

Which vehicle is shown in the challan? The photo could help prove your case.
Old 23rd July 2024, 13:27   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Archer84 View Post
Strange. Could it be a case of someone else faking the Same Registration Numbers on a their/stolen vehicle?

Were the challans issued within one particular locality? Contact one of the nearest traffic police station to bring your case to their notice, if the challans recorded fall within different Traffic PS.

Hyderabad Traffic police shares an image of the vehicle online when they issue a challan and even send a copy home, if i remember correctly. Makes it easy for the individual or Government in a situation like this to argue their case, as it records the time, date and location.
I did inform the officers on the same, but they weren't really bothered about it and was taking things very lightly. I am back in town and planning to visit SP office and submit a complaint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorquePull View Post
In Tamilnadu, you need to make repeated visits to get things done. The person who we should approach to appeal a fine won't be available all the time. They'll try to avoid you at all costs. But since the fine is high, you should make the effort and get it rectified.

Which vehicle is shown in the challan? The photo could help prove your case.
No photo, I assume that this was a case of police going with some random numbers and issuing challans to meet their targets (a police officer was mentioning this very jovially).

Fine issued against my Aerox even though the scooter hasn't been used for months-screenshot-20240723-132853.png

Last edited by ampere : 18th August 2024 at 15:06. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
psmenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2024, 13:59   #8
BHPian

Re: Fine issued against my Aerox even though the scooter hasn't been used for months

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmenon View Post
No photo, I assume that this was a case of police going with some random numbers and issuing challans to meet their targets (a police officer was mentioning this very jovially).
This is bad, probably they did this to meet targets. There was an incident earlier, where a Indica was challaned for not wearing helmet and it grabbed media attention. There was a Facebook page by Chennai police or TN police, I don't recall correctly as I'm not on it anymore. Try contacting them, you might know who to approach as escalation.
TorquePull is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th July 2024, 13:08   #9
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I have got a similar challan from Mumbai traffic Police (with a photo of an unidentified man riding a black motorcycle, number not displayed - My vehicle is an Activa). My complaint on their app (and the concerned email id) shows status as "pending grievance" for over 7 months now while I get weekly reminders to pay the fine.
I don't know what to do.
handsofsteel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2024, 13:22   #10
BHPian

Hi my colleague had a similar issue when his vehicle was fined in another town when he had not used the bike. He raised multiple complaints but did not get a satisfactory response, however one photo of the violations showed the vehicle and the number plate. My colleague using some contacts in the police department identified the vehicle owner when he went to the house then the owner showed his RC and the number differed from the number plate by one digit. The owner had not realized the issue and was using the bike for over a year. The local police station broke the number plate and asked him to fix a correct one immediately. (I am not sure what happened to the pending fines).

To sum it up there can be a fake number plate running around (intentional or erroneous) and you will have to do some work to close the gap.
clementw is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2024, 13:53   #11
BHPian

This is how our "Sarkari System" works. In such situations a normal person is totally helpless. Try to contact your relative or friends who are TN police, if any, they could help you.
Old 24th July 2024, 16:00   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikash Kumawat View Post
This is how our "Sarkari System" works. In such situations a normal person is totally helpless.
Not entirely, there are judicial measures available. The impacted just need to work through the system.
sudeepg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2024, 16:54   #13

Quote:
Few months back i did receive a challan for jumping the signal but was accompanied with the photograph. Ironically vehicle in the photograph did not match mine. I wrote a mail to the support desk and they promptly reverted back to share the RC book copy and picture of the vehicle. I reverted and the challan was nullified in a week's time and got a confirmation message as well. So please do write back to their grievance desk and hopefully you should get a revert.
SideSwipe is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2024, 17:20   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post
Not entirely, there are judicial measures available. The impacted just need to work through the system.
I am trying my best to get this rectified, but someone in the force should be willing to take ownership and attend to my issue, right?

There were couple of options open for me
1. Goto the police station that issued the fine -I did that, but they were keen on sending me out from the station rather than helping me. I asked them to take a complaint - but nothing was done.
2. Raise grievance with the Vahan portal - raised two tickets with them, tickets are assigned to Krishnagiri police station. No updates
3. Raise the complaint with higher authority - Done, no response even though they have opened the mail (read receipt)
4. Pay the fine and keep going - I would have paid if any of the offence mentioned in the challan was true. I have not committed the offences that are mentioned on the challan, I am not ready to agree to some offence that I have not committed.

If there is something I am missing out - please do help me, I would be glad to try all options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideSwipe View Post
Few months back i did receive a challan for jumping the signal but was accompanied with the photograph. Ironically vehicle in the photograph did not match mine. I wrote a mail to the support desk and they promptly reverted back to share the RC book copy and picture of the vehicle. I reverted and the challan was nullified in a week's time and got a confirmation message as well. So please do write back to their grievance desk and hopefully you should get a revert.
If the challan had a photo, it could have been easier. The support desk is for Chennai area of is it from vahan?

Last edited by Sheel : 18th August 2024 at 12:24. Reason: Please edit or multi-quote (QUOTE+) your replies instead of back to back posts. Thanks.
Old 24th July 2024, 19:32   #15
BHPian

Quote:
If there is something I am missing out - please do help me, I would be glad to try all options.
I faced the exact issue a couple of months back. One fine Monday, received an SMS from Chennai Traffic Police to pay a fine of Rs.1500. Opened the challan to see fine imposed against my Ola S1 Pro for wrong side Driving + pillion without helmet.
The location of fine was Adyar which was ~15kms away from my home and my Ola was standing right below my apartment during the time of fine.
Luckily, had a photo in the challan, I was amused to see a completely different Red colour EV(unfamiliar brand probably something like Okinowa or Ampere) when my Ola colour is Liquid Silver(Beige) but the clarity was poor so we couldn't read that Scooter's number plate.

What I did:
1) Tweeted to @ChennaiTraffic on X(formerly twitter) stating the issue
2) They replied to dm me the details
3) Narrated the above issue to them in Dms.
4) They provided me with the following:
5) After following the above steps, We approached the police station in which the officer who issued the challan worked (I assume this would be difficult for you due to the distance) and personally got a clarification. The last digit of the vehicle number was mis-typed as a result it turned out to be my scooter's number.
The officer assured to provide a resolution on his behalf and dialed us the next day informing that he had submitted a letter to higher officials to cancel the challan, and it was cancelled within a couple of days.
Buzzaper is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed