Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2024, 21:28   #1
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
I'm 6'2" and loved my CBZ Xtreme, but it was crushed by a truck | Should I buy another one?

Hello, forum members... I hope you guys are doing well.

I was a proud owner of a beloved 2012 red colour dual-disc CBZ Xtreme till the 27th of last month. Early in the morning on the 27th, an uncontrolled, fully loaded sand truck/dumper crushed it into pieces when parked. All that remained was only an engine block. I felt dejected and barely slept for a couple of days thinking about it (being emotionally distraught at losing my first bike). I wished I hadn't ridden it to my hometown.

I'm 6'2", and in my opinion, no bike in the mass market can match the seat comfort, ride quality, and riding position with low maintenance (at least for me) as this specific model. It's a shame Hero discontinued the bike. So, I thought of buying the same bike with the exact specifications (and restoring it, if needed) and found 2 bikes on used platforms.

One was in Mangalore (Puttur), and the other was in Chennai (Tambaram). I contacted the owner of the bike in Mangalore while I was in Hyderabad. About two and a half hours before reaching Mangalore, the owner updated the status as sold, and no matter how many times I called or texted him, it was no use: he was unhappy. The chassis number of the bike in Chennai did not match what was recorded on its RC. Having no other option, I returned home with a huge disappointment.

Now I found another bike in Kerala and am still searching if there are any other bikes nearer me. My elder brother urges me to scrap the idea and move on, but I'm unable to, and the thought of moving on is making me feel uncomfortable. The question is, "Am I feeling too much and going too far for a particular bike?" Do I really need to move on? What's the bike in the 150-180cc segment that matches CBZ?

I am looking forward to your valuable suggestions and opinions on my thoughts.

Last edited by navin : 19th July 2024 at 12:52. Reason: Corrected Grammar, Spelling, Punctuation, and Sentence Construction
Nano45 is offline   (3) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 19th July 2024, 10:22   #2
BHPian

re: I'm 6'2" and loved my CBZ Xtreme, but it was crushed by a truck | Should I buy another one?

My cousin brother is as tall as you and he used to have the same bike, a 2011 Hero Xtreme single disc but in black. He moved on to a Pulsar NS200 7 years after he bought the CBZ. I would suggest you to try other bikes in the market. An adventure bike would make you feel comfortable, given that you are tall.
Old 19th July 2024, 10:42   #3
BHPian

re: I'm 6'2" and loved my CBZ Xtreme, but it was crushed by a truck | Should I buy another one?

Very unfortunate what happened to your old CBZ.

I suggest moving on to a brand new bike than a used CBZ. The feeling of going for same used model is just an emotional reaction but you won't have the same attachment with it as you had with your own bike regardless of it being exact same model and color.

What will be your budget and what will be your usage and most of the road conditions ?
For 6'2 height, there are few good options. If you strictly looking for a 150-180cc bike with a budget of <2 lacs, a comfortable bike would be the Hero Extreme 160R 4v. Will feel like a brand new + enhanced version of your old bike.

Emotions aside, Pulsar NS400 is also a great option and a big performance upgrade too and will cost little above 2L on road.

If budget is not an issue, go for the Scrambler 400x. Probably the most comfortable bike aside from Himalayan and has great suspension and perfectly suits tall riders. A "can do it all" kind of bike. (Available at 10k discount until 31st July)

Last edited by Ratan Prabhu : 19th July 2024 at 10:49.
Ratan Prabhu is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 19th July 2024, 14:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)
Re: I'm 6'2" and loved my CBZ Xtreme, but it was crushed by a truck | Should I buy another one?

I think (and believe) that it is a sign.

Go for a different bike.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2024, 18:16   #5
BHPian

Re: I'm 6'2" and loved my CBZ Xtreme, but it was crushed by a truck | Should I buy another one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nano45 View Post

I was a proud owner of a beloved 2012 red colour dual-disc CBZ Xtreme till the 27th of last month. Early in the morning on the 27th, an uncontrolled, fully loaded sand truck/dumper crushed it into pieces when parked. All that remained was only an engine block. I felt dejected and barely slept for a couple of days thinking about it (being emotionally distraught at losing my first bike). I wished I hadn't ridden it to my hometown.

I'm 6'2", and in my opinion, no bike in the mass market can match the seat comfort, ride quality, and riding position with low maintenance (at least for me) as this specific model. It's a shame Hero discontinued the bike. So, I thought of buying the same bike with the exact specifications (and restoring it, if needed) and found 2 bikes on used platforms.

One was in Mangalore (Puttur), and the other was in Chennai (Tambaram). I contacted the owner of the bike in Mangalore while I was in Hyderabad. About two and a half hours before reaching Mangalore, the owner updated the status as sold, and no matter how many times I called or texted him, it was no use: he was unhappy. The chassis number of the bike in Chennai did not match what was recorded on its RC. Having no other option, I returned home with a huge disappointment.

Now I found another bike in Kerala and am still searching if there are any other bikes nearer me. My elder brother urges me to scrap the idea and move on, but I'm unable to, and the thought of moving on is making me feel uncomfortable. The question is, "Am I feeling too much and going too far for a particular bike?" Do I really need to move on? What's the bike in the 150-180cc segment that matches CBZ?

Hi there,

If you really want to continue with a product from the Hero stable, try the new Xtreme 160R 4V. It has a shorter wheelbase, so might feel a bit cramped. But the engine is better than what you had on your CBZ Xtreme. Marginal cc improvement, better breathing capacity, might seem like a fun bike to ride. If you need much more room for your riding appetite, try the Xtreme 200S 4v. You want to tackle the bad roads you encounter on a daily basis but with Hero's reliability and service network, try the Xpulse 200 4v. This might even help you with the ground clearance and balancing since you're tall.

If you want to try other brands, I wholeheartedly recommend the new TVS Apache 200 4v. Its got a nice quality heft to it. Its long wheelbase helps it balance better compared to rivals such as the NS200 (which already is a decade old and rightly feels so in quality). It also has additional features like a full digital speedometer with lap time recorder and what not, riding (read braking) modes and dual channel ABS. If you feel 200cc is too much for you, the Apache 160 RTR 4v / 2v (beast mode design) can also be a good fit.
Old 19th July 2024, 23:35   #6
BHPian

I think it's more of an emotional attachment that you have with your CBZ xtreme due to a long standing ownership that you had.

In our friend circle at engineering, we had something called the "Fiero effect" - this hypothesis emerged from an old Suzuki Fiero (150 cc flagship bach then) that one of us owned - superbly ugly, and had issues that Suzuki never bothered to fix (e.g. had a very light front, that used to lift up on acceleration, poor brakes, styling that was nowhere closer to likes of OG CBZ that it competed with etc.). It also had some things that were Suzuki hallmark - an engine with smoothness that was exemplary, and we loved wringing the throttle any time we could get an opportunity. Coming back to point - given all it's faults, we loved it to bits by ownership tenure ended in final year, even though we hated it to begin with. It's all about the memories that we had during our ownership. This theory was applied to all other walks of life - you know, where this drifts to.

I think you should come out of your mourning for the original bike (that it duly deserves) and treat yourself to a new one - there are several great bikes that you can buy in 150-180 CC band, including the ones from Hero/Honda that will keep your ties intact with the erstwhile bike that you owned.

Happy motoring!
Old 20th July 2024, 10:17   #7
BHPian

I think you are going through sudden emotional loss of "your" bike rather than it really being a CBZ Xtreme. Even if you buy another brand new CBZ Xtreme from Hero factory, you won't ever feel the same.

Just let it go, and start test riding other bikes. You would sure find a suitable one and once you have some mileage on your new bike, you won't feel so miserable anymore.
Old 20th July 2024, 11:52   #8
Senior - BHPian

2 points.

1. Life is too short to own the same vehicle twice. You're missing your particular bike, not the CBZ in general. Get a different, newer generation bike.

2. We're both the same height, so I would strongly recommend TDing some ADV bikes. The relaxed roomy seating position and posture works like a dream for people like us, and high seat is not a problem since you can get both legs on the ground easily.
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2024, 21:54   #9
BHPian

Thank you all for your valuable suggestions.
If not for the heavy rains and floods, i would have bought that cbz bike by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratan Prabhu View Post
What will be your budget and what will be your usage and most of the road conditions ?
For 6'2 height, there are few good options. If you strictly looking for a 150-180cc bike with a budget of <2 lacs, a comfortable bike would be the Hero Extreme 160R 4v. Will feel like a brand new + enhanced version of your old bike.
There is a 2014 RE 350 classic with 36.xxkms on odo in the house being used by my father. For occasional trips and long runs, it works for me . so, I decided to keep my budget around 1.5-1.8 lacs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saitvsk23 View Post
Hi there,

If you want to try other brands, I wholeheartedly recommend the new TVS Apache 200 4v. Its got a nice quality heft to it. Its long wheelbase helps it balance better compared to rivals such as the NS200 (which already is a decade old and rightly feels so in quality). It also has additional features like a full digital speedometer with lap time recorder and what not, riding (read braking) modes and dual channel ABS. If you feel 200cc is too much for you, the Apache 160 RTR 4v / 2v (beast mode design) can also be a good fit.
. I have heard a lot of positive feedback about this bike in my circle. If the adv bikes test drive doesn't change my mind, I'll definitely go with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikishor View Post
I would suggest you to try other bikes in the market. An adventure bike would make you feel comfortable, given that you are tall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
We're both the same height, so I would strongly recommend TDing some ADV bikes. The relaxed roomy seating position and posture works like a dream for people like us, and high seat is not a problem since you can get both legs on the ground easily.
Adventure bikes never crossed my mind. I thought they were for people who do frequent long-distance rides and off-road use. I will give them a try.
Old 24th July 2024, 13:15   #10
BHPian

As a tall person myself, I can relate (I'm 6ft6, or around 199cms).. most bikes I test rode (eg. The Honda cb350rs, Ct110x) were not really that comfortable for my legs or hips.. I did test out the Pulsar N250 (there are 160cc variants of this obviously) and honestly, it was one of the most comfortable riding positions I've had on a bike. That being said, I am still a novice rider..
Old 24th July 2024, 15:07   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Adventure bikes never crossed my mind. I thought they were for people who do frequent long-distance rides and off-road use. I will give them a try.
Test ride the Suzuki Vstorme 250. I think it will suit your height. The bike is very smooth and have enough power.
Asish_VK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2024, 15:27   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asish_VK View Post
Test ride the Suzuki Vstorme 250. I think it will suit your height. The bike is very smooth and have enough power.
I was just typing the same recommendation
also, why dont you try the Hero xpulse?
Old 24th July 2024, 15:38   #13
Senior - BHPian

I am 6' 2" tall. The issue I find with small ADV vehicles like Suzuki VStorm 250, Xpulse etc for city usage is parking with longer wheel base and wider handle bars. The tight parallel spaces in bangalore make it difficult to steer such vehicles into tight parking spots. Also, it is not easy to maneuver these vehicles easily into vacant spots in bumper to bumper slow moving traffic.

Though small commuter vehicles feel like a toy for tall people it is so easy to maneuver and park in city chaos.
PatienceWins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2024, 11:01   #14
BHPian

If you are looking for ease of use, low maintenance, and good ride quality (comfort), then you should choose between the Xpulse 200 or Xpulse 200 T. They will suit your requirements perfectly. The suspension setup can literally make bad roads disappear. Take a test ride of each motorcycle, and you will be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited by Phantom 510 : 25th July 2024 at 11:03.
Phantom 510 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2024, 07:38   #15

Quote:

Do I really need to move on? What's the bike in the 150-180cc segment that matches CBZ?

Hi there,
I was in a similar situation a few years ago too. I'm 6'2" too. I wanted a bike with an upright position on the saddle. I ended up buying a GS150R because I liked it so much because of it's 6th gear. However, I did shortlist some other bikes similar to it's riding position. They were CBZ, Unicorn and the dazzler/unicorn 160. If you are buying a new bike, I would suggest you have a TD of Unicorn, Shine SP 160, Hornet, gixxer and the xpulse. The new xtreme 160 4v has a slightly rear set foot pegs which you might not like.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks