Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2024, 01:10   #16
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (12)
Re: Messed up my motorcycle's seat with modifications | Now what?

My suggestion: sell all the bikes you own and invest in some proper physiotherapy for your back. Over a couple of years diligently do some strength training as well. After 2 years see if you still want to own a bike and go for whatever catches your fancy at that time
IshaanIan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st July 2024, 02:39   #17
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

I'm a cyclist and a biker. Cycling shorts to my mind would be really uncomfortable to wear all day under riding pants. I can actually feel myself cooking down there.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st July 2024, 04:41   #18
BHPian

My experience suggests if a bike is not comfortable from the factory no matter what you do it will not make it overly comfortable. May be, you could ride an additional 20-30 kilometers without the uneasiness, but it will not make a night and day difference. The only way around this is to try and rent a bike for a whole day and see how it feels over a long ride before making the decision. It's just my experience, not necessary others may feel the same.
Mr.Ogre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2024, 08:37   #19
BHPian

While I haven't ridden bikes in a while but can totally relate to the sore bum syndrome you are facing.

Instead of investing more money into the seat, why don't you try out the motorcycle shorts with gel inserts, which provide support where needed and won't force you to sit in a certain way which would be the outcome of a contoured seat.

This way you can get the support you need anywhere you sit and you can change your position on the bike as needed.

Anybody who has used the gel shorts/ padded underwear are requested to share their feedback.
Ravi Parwan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2024, 09:12   #20
BHPian

I never thought I would get back into riding after my accident, especially with steel rods and screws in my arm. But eventually, I did. It's not quite like the good old days, though. I got myself a Himalayan, but the seat was terrible—too narrow, and after a short ride, the stuff down there started cooking.

I decided to fix it myself. I opened up the seat and added multiple pieces of cushion from an old Maruti 800 seat, shaping it for my comfort. Unfortunately, the upholstery guy wrapped the rexin too tightly, ruining those nice lines, but it still does the job.
I am just back from a Wayanad - Mangalore-Karwar-Udupi (temple and beach circuit)- Wayanad ride.

The pic was taken before the seat cover was put on.

To the OP:
I'd suggest you go in person with the seat and get it re-cushioned/shaped as per your requirements. Don't let this come in the way of pursuing your passion.
Attached Thumbnails
Messed up my motorcycle's seat with modifications | Now what?-whatsapp-image-20240721-9.08.41-am.jpeg  

Last edited by jeeva : 21st July 2024 at 09:31.
jeeva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2024, 10:58   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nr07 View Post

1500rs to buy and get a brand new original seat.
1500rs to Sahara Seats for their mod of rubber foam.
1150rs sent to Sahara Seats to get them to ship a 6mm gel pad and one soft foam <--- I am here.

I might have to end up selling the bike. Very upsetting situation.
You've taken trial & error a little too far I guess. The lesson to learn is - do not do irreversible seat modifications.

I use Fego Float air cushion seat on my Himalayan 411 - only for day long rides. It has worked wonders for me, especially since I can play around with the air pressures. The stock seat is a little too soft, which is comfortable for a city ride, however once you're on it for a few hours, you sink into the chassis!

Another important aspect is the clothes you wear while riding. I've learnt over the years not to wear the speedo brief type underwear, where you sit directly on the seam - which can cause a lot of discomfort. Same for regular jeans. However comfortable the fit may be, sitting on it for hours leads again to discomfort.

I've moved to boxer type briefs, where the contact between the butt and the seat does not have hard seams. Similarly, wearing riding pants I feel has done wonders.

I've never tried gel based shorts or briefs, so cannot comment on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
I decided to fix it myself. I opened up the seat and added multiple pieces of cushion from an old Maruti 800 seat, shaping it for my comfort. Unfortunately, the upholstery guy wrapped the rexin too tightly, ruining those nice lines, but it still does the job.
I am just back from a Wayanad - Mangalore-Karwar-Udupi (temple and beach circuit)- Wayanad ride.

I'd suggest you go in person with the seat and get it re-cushioned/shaped as per your requirements. Don't let this come in the way of pursuing your passion.
This is another thing you can try. Add foam, ride around for a few km and make sure it is comfortable before finishing it up. I'm sure foams are available is different consistencies, and that you'll be able to find something which works for you without permanently damaging your stock seats.
Geo_Ipe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2024, 11:14   #22
Senior - BHPian

+100 on Jockey bikini brief type underwear. I prefer full length cotton (mix) tights from Decathlon. Seamless. Moisture wicking. Dries overnight, fresh for the next day's riding. Ditto for my upper body. These are my base layers. Nothing else between me and my riding jacket and pants. No seams on both. The riding pants have a large slightly rough/tacky leather like material panel over the crotch and seat area that is brilliant for grip on the saddle as well as all the padding I need.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2024, 13:33   #23
BHPian

In case you are overweight please lose weight first and foremost, else most seat modification won’t work, as I learnt the hard way. The first drawback of the aftermath of injuries like this is immediate weight gain, especially for me. Due to badminton with a 95 kg frame, I am suffering from plantar fascitis and weak knees for the last 1.5 years and gained 4 kg since then, brisk walking and diet control being my only possibilities from quick weight gain.

I was a 104 kg guy who couldn’t sit on motorcycles, scooters beyond 60 km, felt like Humpty Dumpty thanks to my then unwieldy frame. The seat would push into the frame and to my embarrassment my friends who would ride next would be like what a seat warmer! :(.
On my Himalayan after my 13 kg weight loss and imbibing proper riding positions, it did improve a lot, but longer days on the stock seat wasn’t possible. Adding foam, floats etc did not improve it at all as the seat would inevitably touch the frame. Riding inner layers and the touring seat was what cut it for me finally. The Raida inner layer came free with the pants and the riding seat - Rs.3000 was worth every penny. Make sure the inner layer is not a skin tight pant.
On my present 390 BS4, the seat indeed is too hard but you need to be much fitter for the sporty position it has rather than the bum pain for long days, and that is what I intend to do.

Last edited by 100Kmphormore : 21st July 2024 at 13:37.
100Kmphormore is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2024, 22:11   #24
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Kmphormore View Post
In case you are overweight please lose weight first and foremost, else most seat modification won’t work, as I learnt the hard way. The first drawback of the aftermath of injuries like this is immediate weight gain, especially for me. Due to badminton with a 95 kg frame, I am suffering from plantar fascitis and weak knees for the last 1.5 years and gained 4 kg since then, brisk walking and diet control being my only possibilities from quick weight gain.

I was a 104 kg guy who couldn’t sit on motorcycles, scooters beyond 60 km, felt like Humpty Dumpty thanks to my then unwieldy frame. The seat would push into the frame and to my embarrassment my friends who would ride next would be like what a seat warmer! :(.
On my Himalayan after my 13 kg weight loss and imbibing proper riding positions, it did improve a lot, but longer days on the stock seat wasn’t possible. Adding foam, floats etc did not improve it at all as the seat would inevitably touch the frame. Riding inner layers and the touring seat was what cut it for me finally. The Raida inner layer came free with the pants and the riding seat - Rs.3000 was worth every penny. Make sure the inner layer is not a skin tight pant.
On my present 390 BS4, the seat indeed is too hard but you need to be much fitter for the sporty position it has rather than the bum pain for long days, and that is what I intend to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I'm a cyclist and a biker. Cycling shorts to my mind would be really uncomfortable to wear all day under riding pants. I can actually feel myself cooking down there.

Cheers, Doc
Quote:
+100 on Jockey bikini brief type underwear. I prefer full length cotton (mix) tights from Decathlon. Seamless. Moisture wicking. Dries overnight, fresh for the next day's riding. Ditto for my upper body. These are my base layers. Nothing else between me and my riding jacket and pants. No seams on both. The riding pants have a large slightly rough/tacky leather like material panel over the crotch and seat area that is brilliant for grip on the saddle as well as all the padding I need.
Thanks for all of your responses. I have tried the padded shorts and the problem is as I am facing some issues with my jewels as I mentioned (doctor checked, nothing to worry), when I am not on the bike, the padding folds up in reverse and I end up walking like a duck while it irritates my jewels. So this did not work for me.

Also, I have noticed something just now, apart from the seating position in my Duke, there is another thing that is helping with my tailbone situation. Since I am seating all the way back, the tailbone is not only raised but also happens to fall in a gap when I relax and sit upright because of the modifications and the nature of the Duke seat. Do you think with a custom seat maker I can make this happen with Speed 400 if needed? Should I take the leap of faith?

Messed up my motorcycle's seat with modifications | Now what?-img_20240721_204446.jpg

If I were rich, I would have kept the Duke, bought the Speed, tested it out for a few weeks before selling the Duke. But, that is not doable. What are your thoughts?

(I have created a separate thread on this to have a focused conversation on this particular element. Please let me know if I messed up with the rules. I am a newbie.)
Old 21st July 2024, 23:14   #25
Senior - BHPian

Messed up my motorcycle's seat with modifications | Now what?-images.jpeg

Cheers, Doc
Old 21st July 2024, 23:36   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 2630592

Cheers, Doc
Thanks for this. I don't know if my tailbones are overgrown or not but for me, upright seating (like that on a commuter bike or Xpulse which I test-rode) had the tailbone touching the seat. As I lean forward, the tailbone goes up!
Old 22nd July 2024, 00:06   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for this. I don't know if my tailbones are overgrown or not but for me, upright seating (like that on a commuter bike or Xpulse which I test-rode) had the tailbone touching the seat. As I lean forward, the tailbone goes up!
I have had similar experience on bikes with similar upright riding posture, after my tailbone injury. I daily ride an Access and used to have an Xpulse with me for 6 months and both put a lot of pressure on my tailbone. I found sporty nakeds much better with their mildly aggressive upper body position. Cruisers and relaxed commuters are a complete no-go.
b16h22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2024, 08:59   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16h22 View Post
I have had similar experience on bikes with similar upright riding posture, after my tailbone injury. I daily ride an Access and used to have an Xpulse with me for 6 months and both put a lot of pressure on my tailbone. I found sporty nakeds much better with their mildly aggressive upper body position. Cruisers and relaxed commuters are a complete no-go.
Do you currently use this scooty? Does it work for you?
Old 22nd July 2024, 11:31   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Do you currently use this scooty? Does it work for you?
Yes. In fact I believe the daily commute on the Access in the covid times aggravated the injury and inflammation over time. After the recovery last year, couldn't ride it for more than 2-3kms. But things have improved and I can ride it for 10+kms on decent roads. I wouldn't ride it anything more than that because my tailbone area goes numb after a while. I recently dropped about 10kgs of weight which I gained after the injury, and it helps. The Gixxer on the other hand, I rode upto 100+ kms recently. Scooters are bad news if you have lower back problems but a necessary evil.
Old 22nd July 2024, 11:39   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16h22 View Post
Yes. In fact I believe the daily commute on the Access in the covid times aggravated the injury and inflammation over time. After the recovery last year, couldn't ride it for more than 2-3kms. But things have improved and I can ride it for 10+kms on decent roads. I wouldn't ride it anything more than that because my tailbone area goes numb after a while. I recently dropped about 10kgs of weight which I gained after the injury, and it helps. The Gixxer on the other hand, I rode upto 100+ kms recently. Scooters are bad news if you have lower back problems but a necessary evil.
Do think about modding the seat like I mentioned earlier. It might help you. (If you do, be prepared to buy OEM seat if things go wrong). Basically, there needs to be a hole where your tailbone rests.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks