Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2024, 18:19   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda scooters could get floor-mounted accelerator pedals like in cars; Files patent

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Erm... Why?
Exactly the first thought that came to my mind. This is a solution looking for a problem or what?
Old 4th July 2024, 10:15   #17

Re: Honda scooters could get floor-mounted accelerator pedals like in cars; Files patent

Having a foot operated accelerator in case of scooters is a bad idea - at least for the mass market models. It greatly reduces the maneuverability of the vehicle, and also the utility of the vehicle as people, especially families, generally prefer scooters for the versatility of the floor board (be it accommodating kids, carrying bag full of groceries and other needful items).

That said, I don't think Honda or any other manufacturer for that matter are not aware of this, and would introduce a foot operated accelerator in their mass market models.

This patent may just be only a concept or may probably be implemented in maxi scooters where long distance riding fatigue can be reduced by providing a foot operated accelerator. Even in those cases, providing a cruise control option would be better rather than a foot operated accelerator.
Old 4th July 2024, 12:02   #18
BHPian

Lol. Just yesterday I was thinking why companies don't put accelerator and break pedals on the floor in scooters and here it came.

But IMHO, it doesn't make sense for India. The reason why Jupiters and Activas sell so much is that they have a huge usable floor which is used to carry everything, from groceries to gas cylinders and even kids. Adding pedals there will be impractical for a market like India. Even the driving dynamics will be hampered by such a design.
Old 4th July 2024, 12:53   #19
BHPian

Why would they want accelerator pedal at the right foot of a two wheeler. It may be ok for a first timer as they have not experience another way of acceleration. They will learn on this but will have learning curve riding other two wheelers.

However, It is completely counter intuitive. All motorcycles have the brakes at the right foot. Even Royal Enfield made the switch from left to right foot for brakes.
HillMan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2024, 18:18   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullettuPaandi View Post
Sounds weird, but same can be said for the newer generations likings in general. Vertical aspect ratio caught on after decades of cinema pushing the exact opposite. So, we never can tell; just an interesting thought!
They have something big planned!

Having been a part of Automotive R&D and IPR teams, this "foot-operated-accelerator for 2-wheeler" seems to be a part of a much larger concept.

OEMs like to patent anything they seem might become important in the future (such as radar-guided cruise control, center-airbag between front passengers, and many more which I recall).

I can only postulate, but it is quite likely that Honda is working on a self-balancing & self-accelerating, low-speed e-bike which would only need the rider to step on the acclerator pedal to confirm that they are ready-to-go-forward. The moment the foot comes off the throttle, the e-bike would know to stop accelerating.
While this is practically more of an "emergency kill switch on a treadmill", this description of "foot-operated-accelerator" would give them a possibility to claim infringement in IPR courts if someone else tries to build the same!

OEMs also break the large concepts into tiny unrelatable bits to keep their competition guessing - so I'd keep a keen eye on what are the other patents they recently filed.
AdityaRai is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th July 2024, 18:59   #21
BHPian

I wonder what more important role they want to free up the hand for.

But jokes aside, I can't imagine how much harder it will be to balance at crawling speeds with just one leg, while the other one is occupied on the throttle.
Romeo_Mike is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2024, 19:52   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaRai View Post
They have something big planned!

Having been a part of Automotive R&D and IPR teams, this "foot-operated-accelerator for 2-wheeler" seems to be a part of a much larger concept.

OEMs like to patent anything they seem might become important in the future (such as radar-guided cruise control, center-airbag between front passengers, and many more which I recall).

I can only postulate, but it is quite likely that Honda is working on a self-balancing & self-accelerating, low-speed e-bike which would only need the rider to step on the acclerator pedal to confirm that they are ready-to-go-forward. The moment the foot comes off the throttle, the e-bike would know to stop accelerating.
While this is practically more of an "emergency kill switch on a treadmill", this description of "foot-operated-accelerator" would give them a possibility to claim infringement in IPR courts if someone else tries to build the same!

OEMs also break the large concepts into tiny unrelatable bits to keep their competition guessing - so I'd keep a keen eye on what are the other patents they recently filed.
I thought maybe this is for a three-wheeled scooter application, while typing the difficulty with taking U-turns in my previous post. But then it occurred to me that if there's ever a target audience for such a scooter, it'd predominantly be the physically disabled, who'd need to be able to throttle & brake with their hands. So, didn't make much sense.

Point taken though; this patent does feel like just a part of the process you describe. If I recall correctly, Yamaha showcased their self-balancing & self-riding bike some years ago. This is could be for a similar showcase; such as self-steering, self-balancing & braking integrated in the same pedal as throttle, for people with disabilities in their arms but none in their legs.

By the way, 'self-accelerating'? That'd be one dystopian ride. Why not just take a cab at that point; it comes with a human chat-bot as well!

Last edited by BullettuPaandi : 4th July 2024 at 19:59. Reason: added about the use-case
Old 5th July 2024, 03:01   #23
BHPian

Ah finally!

Now future kids can have the same fun of stomping the pedal standing on the floorboard as the millennials did.
Old 5th July 2024, 10:51   #24
BHPian

One doesnt know how things will change in the future. Also having a patent, doesnt mean it will be production soon. There are all sorts of crazy patents filed but just gathering dust.

If I remember right, the Chetak/Priya scooters had foot brakes. With the combi brakes coming in, none of the current scooters have them.

Last edited by m8002? : 5th July 2024 at 10:54.
Old 5th July 2024, 10:57   #25
BHPian

This will be a matter of concern as well as a point of boon for some users.

There are many short riders we see in the city trying to balance the bike on toes of both legs. How would they move ahead ???
Solution could be that the scooter to have crawl mode .

Boon for some riders we see trying to stop bike on legs as opposed to using actual brakes.
Eg. Few riders shown in youtube under tags "papa ki pari".
Have seen personally seen some riders doing that while simultaneously accelerating.

Only matter of concern would be carrying small kids on floor board where they will play with it raising a matter of caution.
Old 5th July 2024, 12:27   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaRai View Post
[b]
Honda must be planning an E-Rickshaw coupe in the market?
Thats the only vehicle close to a scooter that can safely use a foot pedal.
And like you mentioned @AdityaRai one pedal for acceleration and braking (mostly regenerative braking).
Old 5th July 2024, 13:41   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullettuPaandi View Post
I thought maybe this is for a three-wheeled scooter application, while typing the difficulty with taking U-turns in my previous post. But then it occurred to me that if there's ever a target audience for such a scooter, it'd predominantly be the physically disabled, who'd need to be able to throttle & brake with their hands. So, didn't make much sense.

Point taken though; this patent does feel like just a part of the process you describe. If I recall correctly, Yamaha showcased their self-balancing & self-riding bike some years ago. This is could be for a similar showcase; such as self-steering, self-balancing & braking integrated in the same pedal as throttle, for people with disabilities in their arms but none in their legs.

By the way, 'self-accelerating'? That'd be one dystopian ride. Why not just take a cab at that point; it comes with a human chat-bot as well!
Last year at the AutoExpo, https://ligermobility.com/ also displayed their self-balancing scooter - its a well developed concept now (just like Segways) and isn't hard to integrate into e-scooters.

The "Self-accelerating" applies to low-speed scooters, like the Yulu's, which are very popular in China (thanks to exemption from license requirements). Lets be honest, no-one has ever modulated the acclerator on a Yulu, its always an ON/OFF switch for the rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
One doesnt know how things will change in the future. Also having a patent, doesnt mean it will be production soon. There are all sorts of crazy patents filed but just gathering dust.

If I remember right, the Chetak/Priya scooters had foot brakes. With the combi brakes coming in, none of the current scooters have them.
You are absolutely right, just because Honda filed a patent, it doesn't mean they'd produce it. However, theres nothing stopping them from earning royalty on this patent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistonCrown View Post
This will be a matter of concern as well as a point of boon for some users.

There are many short riders we see in the city trying to balance the bike on toes of both legs. How would they move ahead ???
Solution could be that the scooter to have crawl mode .

Boon for some riders we see trying to stop bike on legs as opposed to using actual brakes.
Eg. Few riders shown in Youtube under tags "papa ki pari".
Have seen personally seen some riders doing that while simultaneously accelerating.

Only matter of concern would be carrying small kids on floor board where they will play with it raising a matter of caution.
If a self-balancing slow-speed scooter was ever created, its target audience would be those with the least affinity for automobiles/thrilling-transportation. This foot-operated-ON-switch would only serve as a safety-switch to ensure that the rider is ready to move (by lifting their legs off the ground).
After the rider signal's their readiness, the scooter would slowly accelerate (like all slow 250W e-cycles) and have Sonar-sensors to stop acclerating if it detects any obstacle ahead. Both hannds of the rider would have access to manual brakes too (for safety). This scooter would be a no-nonsense-city-transport-for the novice*.

*All the above mentioned features and specifications are imaginatory. Honda has no clue about this and hence no obligation to create anything close to this. Please read all offer documents carefully before investing in Honda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
Honda must be planning an E-Rickshaw coupe in the market?
Thats the only vehicle close to a scooter that can safely use a foot pedal.
And like you mentioned @AdityaRai one pedal for acceleration and braking (mostly regenerative braking).
True, unless a 2-wheeler can be self balancing like https://ligermobility.com/ .
Regen braking can actually make that foot-operated-A-pedal even more effective for a low-speed-2-wheeler.
AdityaRai is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks