Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2024, 20:35   #31
BHPian

Re: My 2-month old Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 catches fire | Wiring and lock set to be replaced

Sorry to Hijack this thread, long post incoming. I had to elaborate in response to ebonho. Mods kindly remove or move if this is inappropriate or not related to this thread. Also, I have changed mobiles since the episode and all images are from google photos which were taken on old mobile phones, so please excuse the quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Damn bro! Failed as in sheared clean through or fell off? How did you come out of that without a crash? Do tell us more. This is the stuff of biker nightmares.

Cheers, Doc
Happened within three months of getting the bike.

I left for the Goa Rider Mania 2019 a week before intending to spend time in Goa, however, en route, I met a group of riders whose destination was Goa but they were going to spend time in Hampi and then head to the Rider Mania. so I joined them in their plan.

They were very polite and accommodated me with their plans, what was going to be a solo trip ended up being a group ride.
I had done about 2.2k km in those three months before the Goa trip and had accessories like fork gaiters, sump-guard, and tall flyscreen installed at the Company service center in BTM 2nd stage Bangalore.
From Hampi headed to Goa through Chorla ghat and returned back through Karwar, Gokarna, and Jog Falls.
While returning I was riding alone because I spent an extra couple of days roaming old Goa after rider mania.

My 2-month old Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 catches fire | Wiring and lock set to be replaced-img_20191119_124037665.jpg

The reason for mentioning the itinerary and accessories is because of what transpired later at the service center.

My 2-month old Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 catches fire | Wiring and lock set to be replaced-karwar.jpg

I wanted to reach Hosur by sunset and was pushing the last leg of the journey at Narasandra while I was overtaking a car and a truck, I was between the two and had to apply brakes, the front brakes failed and the lever was moving freely. I suspected a hydraulic leak but the was a screeching noise and the bike dropped speed and not in a normal way fortunately there was no traffic behind me so I used the rear brakes and slowly sidelined the bike. My stars were good I guess.

On inspection found the hoses and oil level to be ok, metal shavings, and dust on the alloys. photographed them and called the RSA, the RSA enquired me on the route I took and said it was my rash driving through the ghats that must have caused the brakes to overheat and seize. I politely told them about the front caliper state and how I was unable to move the vehicle at all.
From about 1740 to 2230 I was left stranded till the rescue vehicle arrived.

My 2-month old Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 catches fire | Wiring and lock set to be replaced-img_20191127_190633541.jpg

My 2-month old Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 catches fire | Wiring and lock set to be replaced-img_20191127_190651107.jpg

The bike was taken to SSS Motors Nelamangala, and I took a cab home. rest of the conversation was through a phone call with a RE representative from Chennai who traveled to SSS Motors and the service manager there.

When I went to collect the bike they explained what had happened and what had been done to rectify it. The bolt holding the front caliper assembly had sheared off clean causing the caliper to drop and the misalignment made the pads seize the disc. The explanation was as I had suspected and I did not make a fuss.

I was asked numerous times if I had removed the front wheel for any reason and if there ever was a puncture, never had a puncture to date, touchwood. I don't know if the calipers have to be removed to remove the suspension forks to install the fork gaiters that's the only reason I could think of, and improper tightening without torquing when fitting back. But then again this too was done by their company-owned service center. I wasn't charged for anything and got the bike back in two weeks. While the people at SSS Motors were quite polite, they had spilled brake fluid onto my rear alloys which is an eye-sore to date.
adrift@life is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2024, 21:01   #32
BHPian

Re: My 2-month old Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 catches fire | Wiring and lock set to be replaced

Sharing what might be the final update for a while.

Got my bike back today. The wiring was changed to a new, updated set. Lock-set was changed because apparently the ignition area had gotten burnt.

All the work done is neat, and everything is running normally as of now. Team at the service center were good, and my PoC was on top of things. Having the replacement bike really helped, special thanks to @vj_v3 for making me aware I'm in my rights to ask for one.

On an aside, has anybody else had their analog inputs go haywire in the monsoon? My bikes was functioning abnormally before this issue, and started doing it again on the way home. Apparently, there is an updated analog module better at preventing water ingress which is being replaced under warranty. Will get that done soon.

They still do not know what caused it to get burnt. As of now, does not look like they will be able to figure out the root cause. I've asked them to keep me in the loop if RE has any updates. This will always be at the back of my mind, but hopefully will never surface again.

Finally, it's AWESOME to have my bike back. Time to get some rides in.
Attached Thumbnails
My 2-month old Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 catches fire | Wiring and lock set to be replaced-pxl_20240703_125730741.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by Shur'tugal : 3rd July 2024 at 21:20.
Shur'tugal is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2024, 23:14   #33
BHPian

Thanks to OP for noticing the fire in time and that I guess averted a major mishap.
On the hindsight, I had bought a pre-owned 2019 MY interceptor in late 2021, used for almost a year and sold it. Did not have any issues except for rudimentary suspension, hard bench seat, hard clutch, unnecessarily heavy for a 650. Until March 2024, I had changed from fellow Bhpian's Ninja 300 to R3 to Versys650, all of which were sold within 3-4months of usage.
Then again in March 2024, when I missed a deal for V strom 650 for a mere 5k (seller hoodwinked me at the last moment after promising the bike for a mere 5k more, which I would have happily paid), the ordeal left a bad taste and in frustration, went to RE, paid full amount and took delivery of the Interceptor next day. My inability to think straight hit me hard with the first hump I took riding back home. Everything was the same on Inty. I mean, the engine and chassis is held back by poorly conceived suspensions, pathetic ceat tyres, god awful bench seat, etc. The point is, the basics are wrong, no matter the marketing stunts.
I agree that with more number of bikes sold, the issues get amplified but you don't compromise on the basics, like engine, chassis, electrical wiring, suspension, tyres, seats.
And asking to delete the posts on Tbhp is downright appalling, they should have instead sorted the issue proactively, letting the OP write about. No wonder how fast the videos on YT disappeared.
By the way, sold my Interceptor yesterday! Lesson learnt.
Old 24th July 2024, 09:49   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shur'tugal View Post
Sharing what might be the final update...

They still do not know what caused it to get burnt. As of now, does not look like they will be able to figure out the root cause. I've asked them to keep me in the loop if RE has any updates. This will always be at the back of my mind, but hopefully will never surface again.
Scuffing of wiring around the front (resulting in a short) has always been an issue with Enfields, especially if the handlebar is turned from left to right or vice versa. I had experienced it on multiple occasions with my '88 Enfield 350. Perhaps this is gaining prominence with modern examples where the wiring loom is kept short to maximise savings for the manufacturer.

You can fabricate your own protection schemes to work around this.

Enjoy your ride and please don't worry too much.

I believe the ASC did what was expected and displayed great professionalism in their approach.
Old 24th July 2024, 09:51   #35
BHPian

Ideally, the whole purpose of fuses is to blow up if a short circuit like this happens, and the only high wattage component on the front side is the headlight bulb. So for this fire to happen, two wires have to go bad on insulation, they have to be besides each other, they have to be for opposite polarity and the load of the short circuit has to be less than what the fuses were rated for. This has to be a rare incident if this was the case. The other explanation is that a wire had ore current passing through it than it was rated for and heated up. So a few things to double check
1. Any wrongly rated fuses installed? Could be from the factory
2. Any change in wattage of the headlight? I believe they are led and not easy to replace

My goal here is to not go brand bashing but to identify how this could happen.
Thanks for sharing the incident and updates.

Last edited by gharika : 24th July 2024 at 09:54.
gharika is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2024, 12:31   #36
Senior - BHPian

This had happened on my Kawasaki Bajaj KB 100 RTZ, in 1996. The front end caught fire, under the dome. Problem was near the horn connection
Quote:
Originally Posted by gharika View Post
So for this fire to happen, two wires have to go bad on insulation, they have to be besides each other, they have to be for opposite polarity and the load of the short circuit
Old 24th July 2024, 12:47   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharika View Post
Ideally, the whole purpose of fuses is to blow up if a short circuit like this happens...
As you stated, fuses protect against short circuits. They offer no protection against sought current leakage like in this situation.

Sparking across a loose contact or one stripped wire leaking to ground can cause a fire but never draw enough current to view the fuse.

Practically not much can be done to detect this situation so it's important to ensure that wires are will protected.
Old 24th July 2024, 13:22   #38
BHPian

Curious about this "updated" wiring harness! Planning on picking up the Guerilla and it may have a similar harness/similar design issue!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks