Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2024, 16:43   #1
Team-BHP Support

May 2024: Indian Motorcycle & Scooter Sales Figures & Analysis

NOTES:

1: Thanks to the team at Auto Punditz for sharing these sales numbers with us!

2: Only bikes that sell 500+ units (and thus, the relevant ones) have been included in the gainers & losers chart.

3. These manufacturer-reported sales numbers are factory dispatches to dealerships. They are NOT retail sales figures to end customers.
Aditya is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 27th June 2024, 16:46   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: May 2024: Indian Motorcycle & Scooter Sales Figures & Analysis

Aditya is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 27th June 2024, 16:48   #3
Team-BHP Support

Aditya is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2024, 16:52   #4
Team-BHP Support

Aditya is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 27th June 2024, 16:57   #5
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line.
Old 28th June 2024, 10:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

Some things that pop out for me.

1. The Triumph 400 twins seem to be settling down at 2K units despite a flurry of new dealerships.

2. Bajaj is quietly making steady inroads into the commercial two wheeler EV market with the Yulu sub-brand.

3. The Hero Vida seems to be on the rise, month after month. It seems like Hero's distribution muscle and the standalone Vida showroom opening spree is powering this.

4. As a Trident owner, I'm surprised that the bike's doing so poorly. I think it's the understated looks. It looks like a slightly bigger MT15. And people who pay 10 lakh want a bigger bike I guess. Another point to buttress this theory: The Tiger 660 - with its proper big bike feel - seems to be doing much better vis-a-vis the Trident.

5. Harley quickly needs a second model to supplement the X440. Sales are on a downward trajectory, and steeply.

6. iQube is pulling away from Ather. The Rizta has to fire else Ather may be acquired by a bigger 2 wheeler maker I think. Just about the right time for M&A activity in the E2W space.

7. The unassuming XL Super moped is the 2nd best seller for TVS, after the Jupiter. This is a solid workhorse that is still very relevant even as EVs rise.

8. Royal Enfield 650s are doing quite solidly, and Royal Enfield is quite dominant in the 600+cc segment now.

9. The Daytona 660 should be launched anytime, now that dispatches have commenced. May prove to be as popular as the Tiger 660 as faired bikes are still a thing for many superbike buyers.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 28th June 2024, 10:57   #7
BHPian

Few pointers from the data:
1. Yamaha overtook Royal Enfield
2. Bajaj+KTM numbers have remained stagnant year on year.
3. Hero MotoCorp continues to see see-saw movement in their numbers, with this month clocking less than same month last year, same with Royal Enfield.
Mr.Ogre is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th June 2024, 11:02   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post

6. iQube is pulling away from Ather. The Rizta has to fire else Ather may be acquired by a bigger 2 wheeler maker I think. Just about the right time for M&A activity in the E2W space.

7. The unassuming XL Super moped is the 2nd best seller for TVS, after the Jupiter. This is a solid workhorse that is still very relevant even as EVs rise.

TVS dealership numbers and push is contributing to iQube to a huge extend.
Which is lacking for Ather. Next 5 years is going to be very crucial for Ather, especially from an IPO perspective.

XL adoption numbers have always surprised me. That brand loyalty is unmatched and the numbers do indicate the rural market health to a huge extend.
The Pianist is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th June 2024, 11:11   #9
BHPian

The number of Hero Splendors sold month per month is simply astonishing! 2,76,777 this time around. That's more than 9000 Splendors sold daily!

I would like to understand how Hero is even producing these many bikes per day. Splendors have amazing running inventory and there's barely any waiting period for this bike.

As a product, Splendor may be a TBHP Bourgeois's worst nightmare, but this one bike refuses to lose it's heat. Credit to Hero, they've continued to update the product to keep it in line with the current generation of buyers, case in point, the latest Splendor XTEC 2.0.

Last edited by Baristyro : 28th June 2024 at 11:15.
Baristyro is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2024, 11:39   #10
BHPian

Hi, Can we get Classic Legends motorcycle numbers. It would be interesting to view the numbers vis a vis Royal Enfield numbers. There have been some recent upgrades in Jawa and Yezdi. Would like to see the impact on sales.
gck_tourer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2024, 12:14   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pianist View Post
TVS dealership numbers and push is contributing to iQube to a huge extend.
Which is lacking for Ather. Next 5 years is going to be very crucial for Ather, especially from an IPO perspective.

XL adoption numbers have always surprised me. That brand loyalty is unmatched and the numbers do indicate the rural market health to a huge extend.
Hero owns almost 40% stake in Ather. The lack of proper synergy between Hero and Ather baffles me.

Hero should never have launched the Vida brand, especially when their pricing is not too far from Ather. Instead the Hero dealerships should partner with Ather and cross sell. Ather's decision to remain aloof and wanting to be a premium EV Scooter is not working. They are great, but EV 2Ws cannot make give you a Tesla like success.

In the meantime, why is Ola not part of this data? I think they are selling more than iQube, despite all the niggles and issues they have. Will be interesting to see the numbers.
karthis91 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2024, 12:33   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baristyro View Post
The number of Hero Splendors sold month per month is simply astonishing! 2,76,777 this time around. That's more than 9000 Splendors sold daily!

I would like to understand how Hero is even producing these many bikes per day. Splendors have amazing running inventory and there's barely any waiting period for this bike.

As a product, Splendor may be a TBHP Bourgeois's worst nightmare, but this one bike refuses to lose it's heat. Credit to Hero, they've continued to update the product to keep it in line with the current generation of buyers, case in point, the latest Splendor XTEC 2.0.
There was a National Geographic 'Megafactories' episode on Hero a few years back. Their shop floor, processes and automation is state of the art. Where they lack is the R&D. But it is not very important for mass commuter bikes. If you are keen on knowing about their production, it is worth spending 45 mins.

Given the brand name of Splendor, reliability, mileage and absence of competition, the bike keeps selling. Add HF Deluxe, a bare-bones version of Splendor, Hero sells ~3.5L 100CC bikes every month.

Given the lack of R&D, they have not been able to crack into other segments, especially the scooter segment. For now their focus in premium bikes and Vida EVs, but I don't think they have the power to pull it off.

Personally I own a Splendor Pro from the Hero Honda era. The bike works like a charm even after 13 years. It is very reliable. You keep it turned off for 3 months and start it, the bikes splurges into life with no trouble. I feel the recent Splendors don't have the same build quality or reliability. Yet it keeps selling, because the competition is weak.
karthis91 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th June 2024, 14:27   #13
BHPian

Yamaha motorcycles have a dedicated fan base, but due to the company's poor strategy, they haven't been launching many new products in India. Currently, Yamaha holds a market share of 3.96%. If they were to introduce a mix of retro and modern bikes, they could potentially double their market share quickly. Based on my experience with Yamaha vehicles, they are more durable compared to those from Bajaj and TVS. Additionally, Yamaha scooters are smoother and quieter than those from Honda.
Puntoo is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2024, 14:46   #14
BHPian

So the Chetak, inspite of being at 1.5L is selling a lot more than the Ather 450S.. Interesting!!

I just test rode the Ather Rizta, and while it was a good experience, my mind still keeps lugging me back to the Chetak because of how gorgeous it looks but kind of being a no-nonsense EV scoot. I haven't heard any issues with regards to software or hardware for both the Chetak and the Athers, so it's really just down to personal choice.

Although the looooong seat and underseat storage is currently tilting in Rizta's favor.
Old 28th June 2024, 21:49   #15

TVS Raider's sales is slowly declining. Maybe direct effect of Xtreme 125R.
Premium bikes like Speed 400, HDX440, Honda Hness have all settled in the range of 1500-2500 sales. Clearly they are unable to break the nostalgia and brand resonance of Royal Enfield, even collectively!
Auto_Buff03 is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks