Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2024, 22:38   #16
BHPian

Re: May 2024: Indian Motorcycle & Scooter Sales Figures & Analysis

I just dont understand the 2 lakh+ activas? who all are buying these and why? especially a new buy with current fuel prices its no brainer to go for an ev. I have already saved more than 15K in one year alone of EV ownership.
Old 29th June 2024, 07:45   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rascalangel View Post
I just dont understand the 2 lakh+ activas? who all are buying these and why? especially a new buy with current fuel prices its no brainer to go for an ev. I have already saved more than 15K in one year alone of EV ownership.
Bangalore alone probably buys half of these. its the primary vehicle for women and college students. as more and more women learn riding, it will trounce splendour.
Old 29th June 2024, 09:10   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Activa sells like hot cakes, because they have the brand name and a good product to go with. For many this scooter segment is broadly 'Activa'. Activa is a household name similar to Splendor or Pulsar.

EV adoption has increased over the last year, but there are still concerns around long term reliability, range anxiety, lack of proper space of charging - in many apartments as well as congested streets where people don't have parking space inside their home.

A primary market segment that buys Activa is for running errands nearby home - to drop kids at school, to go to nearby shops, bank, etc. Most of them don't need it for traveling to long distance on a regular basis. What this means is that the running cost is low - they won't run enough kilometers to cover the cost savings that EV scooters provide as EV scooters costs nearly 1.25-1.5 times.

The other bigger strength of Activa is their engines. They keep chugging for a long time. My neighbor has an Activa that was purchased in 2008 and is still running smoothly. Maintenance is low. For an EV scooter, I am not sure what happens after 5-8 years when battery conks off.

Unless one is sure that their Operating costs is higher than than the EV premium, they will prefer ICE 2Ws over EV 2Ws as of today. This might change in the next few years with battery costs coming down. Some of Ola 2Ws costs similar to Activa today, but they are heavily unreliable. While Activa is ruling the roost, I'm sure they are worried about the EV penetration.
karthis91 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th June 2024, 16:21   #19
BHPian

Bajaj's Pulsar N series (N250, N160 and N150) numbers are totally missing.
With the latest USD fork update for N250 and N160, that happened around march-april, they would have sold atleast a handful of units of these bikes in the month of May, but the sales numbers are missing for these models.
Old 30th June 2024, 08:31   #20
BHPian

Quote:
I just dont understand the 2 lakh+ activas? who all are buying these and why? especially a new buy with current fuel prices its no brainer to go for an ev.
Honda Activa is the synonym of reliability in 2 wheelers. One may even call it the Innova of 2 wheelers, but at a more affordable price point. The whole of India hasn't migrated to 4 wheelers yet, there is a significant proportion who still rely on cheap 2 wheelers are their primary ride.

EVs have not had the market penetration yet, especially outside the metros. Reliability is still unproven, and the higher initial cost is still a deterrent. EVs will have to wait at least another 4-5 years to have a meaningful size eof the pie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthis91 View Post
A primary market segment that buys Activa is for running errands nearby home - to drop kids at school, to go to nearby shops, bank, etc.
That would be in the urban setting. There are millions of Activas plying in the rural regions as the primary household vehicle. It isn't uncommon to see families of 4 or even 5 happily chugging away on an Activa in a rural village. The amount of abuse it can withstand makes it the ultimate people & goods carrier in rural India.
Geo_Ipe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2024, 14:38   #21
BHPian

Quote:

May be those people are waiting for an electrified Activa. I am sure when that happens it will be bad news for the competition but more business for Actival.
Old 1st July 2024, 21:17   #22
BHPian

Special mention for Royal Enfield for putting their 350 cc J series engine to good use!

At first glance, I was wondering why the Classic 350 sales were only around 24k, which used to be above 35k. However, when one looks into the model like up Royal Enfield has built around the J series 350, the list looks commendable:
Classic 350
Bullet 350
Hunter
Meteor

Combined, these 350s are clocking close to 65k!
Geo_Ipe is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks