Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2024, 18:38   #1

Gojo:Living with a Triumph Scrambler 400X

Hello all,
This is my first post on TeamBHP and happy to share my ownership experience.

Introduction
My biking journey started with the Hero Xtreme 150(2012) passed down from my brother, which is the norm in any middle class Indian household, during the 3rd Year of my engineering journey. After completing 30,000 Kms on the bike, I finally decided to upgrade to a bigger capacity bike and what better than a Duke 390 BS3 (2016) on 26th December 2016. This was the DREAM.

Why the change?
It all began when I started having thoughts of selling my Duke 390 a.k.a Ryuk sometimes during May/June 2023. It had crossed 78,000 Kms, took me from Kanyakumari to Kashmir safely and back, and made so many unforgettable memories. But then adulthood happened. Marriage happened. Wife wasn't as comfortable doing long distances in Ryuk. She loved the bike in city and small coffee/breakfast rides. Considering the age and mileage of the bike, I found it won't be a good thing to make it touring comfortable.

Bikes Considered
1. Triumph Speed 400
Looking at the mouthwatering introductory price of Triumph Speed 400, I had immediately booked the bike. I was waiting for a showroom to pop up in Coimbatore as I didn't want to get the bike just based on online reviews. I was constantly getting calls from Chennai showroom, but the finally I cancelled the bike because I felt this would in all cases be a downgrade from my Duke 390.

2. Used Kawasaki Versys/Ninja 650
I started looking for a Versys or Ninja 650 in the used markets. My budget was around 4-5 Lakh. Couldn't get decent bikes at the budget, or was very old model, or was high in mileage. So decided to keep it as a last option.

3. Aprilla RS 457
This bike was never in my radar, as i wanted a bike which can tour comfortably and an RS never fits that bill. Maybe a Tuono or Tuareg. But as soon as the price was announced, I decided to jump the wagon. I booked the bike at the start of February. After numerous delays in even the availability of a display bike, let alone test rides, the bike were finally available for display around May first week. Checked out the bike with Wife. The first impression was bike looked stunning, gorgeous and comfortable for sports bike. But it would be slightly difficult to tour with a pillion. Even getting a test ride was too hectic of a process and god knows when the delivery would begin and service support is a question mark.

4. Triumph Scrambler 400x
Myself and wife went on a random sunday to the Triumph showroom. There was just 1 sales rep to receive us and the full showroom was empty. Got the bike for a test ride. As the showroom was located on the highway, got to spend a good 20-30 mins on the bike for a longish ride. Initial impression was the bike was very tall and with my 5'8" build, i could just about tip toe the bike with both feet. But as I've ridden taller bikes, I got used to handling the bike pretty quickly. Bike was decently torquey and super comfortable. Both me and my wife liked the feel of the bike. I was more inclined to make the booking on the spot. But decided to hold on for a little while. This bike felt like a good compromise on the power compared with my duke 390, as it provided good torque and was comfortable at 100-110 kms per hour which is my preferred cruising speed.

Decision
Sold the Duke 390 around First week of February with 78000 Kms on the Odo. I was without a motorcycle for almost 4 months. Finally after much contemplating, decided to jump for Scrambler. One fine day, went to the showroom, got the loan process done in 15-20 mins and paid the balance amount. The on road price was around 3 Lakh without the insurance. I got insurance done from my end. Selected Matte Green Colour and I was promised delivery within a week. On the delivery day, the showroom experience was mixed. There were some miscommunication on the accessories to be installed. I had informed them to install Luggage Rack, Tank pad and High Rise mud guard. But instead of high rise mud guard, they had installed Mud Splash protection kit. Had to insist them to replace them with the high rise ones. Other than that, the delivery experience was smooth. Got the mandatory Pooja done and Named him GOJO(a favourite character from an Anime)

Likes and Dislikes
1. Looks - Especially with the high rise mudguard
2. Drivability
3. Comfort

Dislikes
1. Headlight
2. Tyres
3. Brakes

Gojo:Living with a Triumph Scrambler 400X-1.jpeg

Gojo:Living with a Triumph Scrambler 400X-2.jpeg

Gojo:Living with a Triumph Scrambler 400X-3.jpeg

Gojo:Living with a Triumph Scrambler 400X-4.jpeg

Gojo:Living with a Triumph Scrambler 400X-5.jpeg

Gojo:Living with a Triumph Scrambler 400X-6.jpeg

On a Monday morning, woke up when the whole street was sleeping, took the bike to Palamalai. The ride was a mix of soft-roading and excellent tarmac.

Gojo:Living with a Triumph Scrambler 400X-7.jpeg

Gojo:Living with a Triumph Scrambler 400X-8.jpeg

Gojo:Living with a Triumph Scrambler 400X-9.jpeg

Gojo:Living with a Triumph Scrambler 400X-10.jpeg

Gojo:Living with a Triumph Scrambler 400X-11.jpeg

Gojo:Living with a Triumph Scrambler 400X-12.jpeg

The Bike has done 650 Kms with a few city runs, a tea run to Kotagiri so far and its been a good experience. 350 Kms more to go for the First service and I think I wont be following the 16000 kms service interval as I'm never comfortable with such long gaps.
Vijesh L is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 27th June 2024, 09:12   #2
BHPian

Re: Gojo:Living with a Triumph Scrambler 400X

They've come up an AMC with 4 month interval here at my place. 499INR for the same with 5 and 10% discount for spares/labour. Typical of Bajaj AMC's.
Senotrius is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2024, 10:30   #3

Wonderful write-up...Happy Riding!
Do share your experiences along the way.
Nino is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2024, 17:53   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senotrius View Post
They've come up an AMC with 4 month interval here at my place. 499INR for the same with 5 and 10% discount for spares/labour. Typical of Bajaj AMC's.
There seems to be nothing like this here in Coimbatore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nino View Post
Wonderful write-up...Happy Riding!
Do share your experiences along the way.
Thank you. Stay tuned for future updates.
Old 28th June 2024, 13:59   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vijesh L View Post
Hello all,
This is my first post on TeamBHP and happy to share my ownership experience.

Why the change?
It all began when I started having thoughts of selling my Duke 390 a.k.a Ryuk sometimes during May/June 2023. It had crossed 78,000 Kms, took me from Kanyakumari to Kashmir safely and back, and made so many unforgettable memories.
Welcome to the club!
Do post a travelogue on the Kanyakumari-Kashmir ride too.

The Scrambler looks gorgeous, especially in that green shade with golden forks. Ride safe !
SithDefender is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2024, 17:05   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SithDefender View Post
Welcome to the club!
Do post a travelogue on the Kanyakumari-Kashmir ride too.

The Scrambler looks gorgeous, especially in that green shade with golden forks. Ride safe !
Thank you. A travelogue would be a bit difficult to write now. It happened in 2019.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks