Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2024, 12:41   #1
Senior - BHPian

Bajaj Auto hints at a more upmarket Dominar 400

The next-generation Bajaj Dominar 400 could be significantly more expensive than the current model. It is likely to be based on a new platform and will be more upmarket than before.

Bajaj Auto hints at a more upmarket Dominar 400-1-3.jpg

Rakesh Sharma, Executive Director of Bajaj Auto, has stated that with the Dominar, the company has the freedom to take it to another level. However, the upgrades might push its price up.

“With Dominar, we have the freedom to really take excellence to another level. With that, you’ll end up making a great bike but it may be out of reach for many,” Sharma said. “That is where Pulsar comes in. Yes, there’s a little bit of overlap from Dominar, but that won’t affect us too much,” he added.

The Dominar 400 was conceived as a rival to Royal Enfield. However, it is now positioned as a long-distance tourer. Bajaj is now chipping away at Royal Enfield’s market share with the Triumph 400 range.

Source: Autocar India

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 25th June 2024 at 12:43.
TusharK is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th June 2024, 13:41   #2
BHPian

Re: Bajaj Auto hints at a more upmarket Dominar 400

Increase in price they say.Well, reduce weight by 30-40kg atleast with a bit more power(courtesy new Duke 390 engine). Could find takers with a bigger fuel tank as well.
Senotrius is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th June 2024, 14:13   #3
BHPian

I disagree that the Dominar needs to reduce weight. It is designed as a tourer, and it excels in that role. I appreciate how stable the weight makes the Dominar. A larger fuel tank, ideally at least 17L, would be beneficial, but I genuinely admire most other aspects of the Dominar. Many criticize the Dominar's weight while gladly accepting Royal Enfield's 200kg-plus bikes, which still lag behind in terms of performance—struggling with cornering and speeds above 130 km/h. Just because a bike has a retro design doesn't inherently make it superior, and similarly, a heavy product isn't necessarily inferior.

The KTM Duke 390(comparing apples to oranges) is crafted as a pocket rocket where weight savings significantly impact performance. Conversely, for a Tourer, weight contributes to stability.

When evaluating bikes, I keep 'Ride it like it's meant to be' in my mind. I've owned bikes from Bajaj, Yamaha, Royal Enfield, and KTM, each with its distinct riding style. I adapt my riding technique to the bike, not the other way around. Therefore, criticisms regarding weight seem illogical to me.

If the upcoming Dominar 400 proves to be a good product, perhaps it will replace my Adventure 390.
maverick029 is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 25th June 2024, 19:36   #4
BHPian

Stability can be achieved with lesser weight. Duke 390 and Speed 400 are an examples of the same. Plus better mileage. Power to weight ratio matters. Even as a tourer, lesser weight should translate to better braking. It's hard to maneuver the D400 in slow speeds/parking/reverse.
Anyway, anything can be justified; just like RE fans would say the weight is due to solid build quality and what not. Vibration is a character, less power means the ride is calm and makes us calmer etc.

Last edited by Senotrius : 25th June 2024 at 19:39.
Senotrius is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th June 2024, 10:40   #5
BHPian

I have been a fan of the Dominar since it was launched, but sadly due to their digs at Royal Enfield and another reasons, I don't see the Dominar as successful as it should have been.

Whilst window shopping for a friend, recently I came across the current gen Dominar in the green shade and I was astounded with the overall quality, and small thoughtful things from Bajaj, and fit & finish levels were really good. With the launch of the Pulsar 400, Dominar might be more irrelevant, sadly.

But if they somehow one up the current Dominar, make it even better, I might be open to having a look at the Dominar for my next bike - the list which has the upcoming Royal Enfield Classic 650, or any Adventure motorcycle.

Good times ahead!
ManasN95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2024, 16:05   #6
BHPian

I love what TVS has done with newer RR310s. The fit and finish is very good with high quality parts. If Bajaj can do that with much better engine refinement, I'd strongly consider one.
t3rm1n80r is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2024, 19:49   #7
BHPian

If we disregard engineering, engine character becomes a matter of belief or skepticism, making discussion pointless. Expecting the D400 to be a D390 at a lower cost is unreasonable, as is comparing them. Reversing a heavy bike is challenging, but with increased strength or familiarity, it becomes manageable. The Speed 400 offers only 2 kmpl more than the Dominar, despite its weight difference (176 kg vs. 193 kg wet). Riders used to 300cc+ bikes won’t find 193 kg heavy, but those upgrading from 100cc will notice the difference. Each motorcycle is unique, and we either adapt and enjoy it or move on. I overlook minor issues like vibrations or weight, focusing instead on what new experiences the motorcycle can offer.
maverick029 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2024, 10:25   #8
BHPian

I had the first gen Dominar 400 for 4 years. Honestly the weight was never a factor for me. The bike was reliable, stable and has the best stock headlights I have seen in a production motorcycle under 10 Lakhs. Although I rode only a few times on the highway at night, the LEDs on this bike were more than enough to cruise around 100 kmph confidently.

The only reason I sold it was sheer boredom. It just felt sterile. Hard to put it in words. Would I buy a Dominar again even after it is updated significantly? Probably not. Did I dislike it when I owned it? Not at all. It is a no nonsense bike which was let down by Bajaj's marketing team.
Vikram8891 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2024, 12:52   #9

What's the timeline on new generation of the Dominar? A friend is considering to buy one in couple of months. Thanks!

Last edited by KarthikK : 28th June 2024 at 13:01.
Old 28th June 2024, 13:04   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick029 View Post
I disagree that the Dominar needs to reduce weight. It is designed as a tourer, and it excels in that role. I appreciate how stable the weight makes the Dominar. A larger fuel tank, ideally at least 17L, would be beneficial, but I genuinely admire most other aspects of the Dominar. Many criticize the Dominar's weight while gladly accepting Royal Enfield's 200kg-plus bikes, which still lag behind in terms of performance—struggling with cornering and speeds above 130 km/h. Just because a bike has a retro design doesn't inherently make it superior, and similarly, a heavy product isn't necessarily inferior.

The KTM Duke 390(comparing apples to oranges) is crafted as a pocket rocket where weight savings significantly impact performance. Conversely, for a Tourer, weight contributes to stability.

When evaluating bikes, I keep 'Ride it like it's meant to be' in my mind. I've owned bikes from Bajaj, Yamaha, Royal Enfield, and KTM, each with its distinct riding style. I adapt my riding technique to the bike, not the other way around. Therefore, criticisms regarding weight seem illogical to me
Absolutely! I loved how steady and stable my Dominar gen1 was on highways. If someone has traveled around Chitradurga/Hospet or Kanyakumari/Rameshwaram section on a bike, they know what I’m talking about. I wouldn’t want to be near trucks on high speed with a 160-odd kg bike in such windy conditions.

My only wish list would be high quality parts, more powerful engine and a premium, skilled & separate service experience for pricey bikes.
Old 28th June 2024, 13:44   #11
BHPian

Personally I've always thought the Dominar made an excellent sports tourer. Something on those lines, like a more relaxed 390 Adventure could be just the thing.
Old 29th June 2024, 08:01   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
The next-generation Bajaj Dominar 400 could be significantly more expensive than the current model. It is likely to be based on a new platform and will be more upmarket than before.
Bajaj will need to upgrade their dealer network also to a more upmarket experience for buyers if they want to sell 400+ cc premium motorcycles. The dealerships and their staff has gotten too used to the Platina & Discover customers that they absolutely have no idea in dealing with the premium customer.

I'd have been a Dominar owner in 2018 itself had the dealership had some basic sense.
Geo_Ipe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2024, 14:56   #13
BHPian

Sorry for going offtopic but just wanted to call out on the methods of selling to prospective buyers.

There used to be probiking center where Pulsar 180,200 used to be sold exclusively.
The concept of test drive (even if i volunteer to pay and do TD) is not entertained which is another reason why at least 10% of bikers would have went to RE instead of dominar. I was able to get test drive on RC200, Yamaha FZ25, CB 300R but not for Dominar, pulsar 250 which made me to choose from the other 3.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks