Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2024, 16:00   #16
BHPian

Re: Ola Electric to launch its first motorcycle in FY2026

Quote:
Originally Posted by NB_4763 View Post
Pricing for their Roadster Series.
Attachment 2642034

Roadster Pro Delivery starts from Next year Diwali, while the Roadster X Delivery starts from February of 2025.
These are the Claimed Range and Top Speed of the Vehicle Lineup

- Roadster Pro : 579km claimed range, 194kmph top speed.
- Roadster : 248km claimed range, 126kmph top speed.
- Roadster X : 200km claimed range, 124kmph top speed.
NB_4763 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2024, 16:02   #17
BHPian

With pricing and specs like these, the roadster pro will make the ultraviolette redundant.

Although I still feel that the market for big capacity EV bikes is quite niche, the roadster pro has all the right ingredients to change this.

In Mumbai I see quite a lot of smaller capacity EV bikes like the revolt and tork kratos. The roadster and roadster x make a better proposition than these for sure.

Main concern
The reliability factor is still a concern. Ola hasn’t done itself any favours with a multitude of issues facing the Ola s1 and its service back up remains a hit or miss. Personally I would wait out the initial lots.

Having said that, props to Ola for taking the EV game forward in the two wheeler space. They can be the JIO of the EV market.
gaurav_3000ad is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th August 2024, 19:19   #18

There is a stark similarity between Bhavish Aggarwal and Elon Musk and their respective companies, i.e., Ola Electric and Tesla operate.

Take the example of Ola Scooter, a bike with any Tesla car, the Cybertruck being the latest. The trend is extremely similar.

Announce a product that is a long way from production. Sometimes even far from prototype.
Keep on releasing bits and pieces of information to keep the buzz alive.
(Soft) Launch a prototype with a probable price and a realistic release date.
Miss the date, (again) miss the date.
Finally launch a half-baked product missing your original price and date several times.

Always overpromise and underdeliver!
hashbro is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 15th August 2024, 19:43   #19
BHPian

The 70 bhp, 195 kmph and 579 km range combination at ₹ 2.50 lakh/- is something unheard of. However, It remains to be seem how much of the claimed 70 bhp could be used out in the real world before it runs into overheating issue and requires a reboot. Ola products, with their reliability issues and below-standard after-sales service, have soured the ownership experience of many.

Last edited by Phantom 510 : 15th August 2024 at 19:45.
Phantom 510 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th August 2024, 20:37   #20

I ended up sitting through most of their presentation today. The kind of backward integration they are planning (especially with Bharat Cell) sounds great (credit where it’s due). What I saw on stage was a group of young, energetic, and relentless Indians giving their best to establish India as an electric mobility and storage hub on the world map.

Indeed, there are lots of ifs and buts about the motorcycles introduced today. However, Ola's roadmap and the specifications are bound to make other manufacturers go back to their drawing boards. Eventually, whichever manufacturer comes out on top, the ultimate winner will be the consumer. As I always believe, it's good to have a shark or two in the fish tank—keeps the fish moving and fresh.

On a side note, the "Reserve now" link on Ola's website for their Roadster bike range opens up the scooter booking page. Has anyone else had any luck?
RoadToHappiness is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th August 2024, 21:14   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom 510 View Post
The 70 bhp, 195 kmph and 579 km range combination at ₹ 2.50 lakh/- is something unheard of.
You can be astounded if they actually start selling at that price. We all saw how it went with Cybertruck.
Rajesh V is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2024, 21:19   #22

More than anything, I'm surprised OLA swiftly got the 4680 NMC cell in the works. They have a few dry electrode patents but scaling to giga-watt capacities is the real challenge and takes 5 years at least.
NO_NOx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2024, 23:07   #23
BHPian

Entire excitement died after seeing the products. Hope the final outcome is better.

I believe this is more of an attempt to showcase future growth to potential IPO subscribers and cashing in on it.
DevendraG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2024, 01:13   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by NB_4763 View Post
These are the Claimed Range and Top Speed of the Vehicle Lineup

- Roadster Pro : 579km claimed range, 194kmph top speed.
- Roadster : 248km claimed range, 126kmph top speed.
- Roadster X : 200km claimed range, 124kmph top speed.
Are these claimed figures IDC, ARAI or in-house tested ranges? couldn`t find much details on this. Even if the Pro manages to get 200kms in real world conditions at the price point mentioned, it`d be a good deal.
Speculation:- Ultraviolette may be the better bike but the Ola would probably be the one that popularises the segment of affordable performance electric bikes.

Ola Electric to launch its first motorcycle in FY2026-olaselectmodelpro1723719355519.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikozaru View Post
52KW and a 16KWh battery. EV bike manufacturers are missing the plot imo. They have the range and performance figures for a track bike but ruin it for the track with soft suspensions and road ergos.
This reminds me of the MotoE bikes that Ducati makes, a faired version of the Ola with the requisite changes would be exciting.
Ola Electric to launch its first motorcycle in FY2026-ducatimotoe03gallery1920x1080.jpg
representative image of the Ducati MotoE bike

https://www.topspeed.com/theres-more...meets-the-eye/
Old 16th August 2024, 08:22   #25
BHPian

Am I the only one who noticed that the Roadster Pro has Michelin Road 6 shod onto it and the front tyre on the bike during presentation had the rotation direction wrong?

I mean how can an manufacturer go wrong in installing the tyre wrong!
akshayhonda is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th August 2024, 08:54   #26
BHPian

Wait. 579kms on the Pro? Crazy figures. Even if it is in Eco mode and even if eco mode is capped at say 80 or 100, this makes the bike a capable highway rider. Suspension, ride quality, dynamics aside.

For argument's sake let us say this is in house testing, and that 70% of it can be achieved in real life, the usable range is still 400!!

I mean, its mind boggling thats it.
shresan23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2024, 08:59   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udaikalra01 View Post
And they have already announced the pricing? What’s happening?
They’re a public listed company is what is happening.

This gives them the platform to draw up “potential” ( in bigger and bolder font if possible ) uptick in revenue in upcoming investor meetings seeking inflow of funds while the stock market does the rest.

Wait for a couple of years before a TVS / Hero / Bajaj takes over at an inflated price and Mr. Agarwal can take all the gunny bags of monies.
Sk8r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2024, 09:21   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashbro View Post
There is a stark similarity between Bhavish Aggarwal and Elon Musk and their respective companies, i.e., Ola Electric and Tesla operate.

Announce a product that is a long way from production. Sometimes even far from prototype.
Keep on releasing bits and pieces of information to keep the buzz alive.
(Soft) Launch a prototype with a probable price and a realistic release date.
Miss the date, (again) miss the date.
Finally launch a half-baked product missing your original price and date several times.

Always overpromise and underdeliver!
Yet, they are the pioneers who made EVs mainstream and pushed the competition and industry forward.

Before Tesla, EVs were synonymous with slow and cheap. Tesla made the EVs desirable. They may have delivered late but they have delivered and exceeded the promises most of the time. Model Y was announced in 2019 and in just 4 years it has become the world's best-selling car surpassing the Toyota Corolla. Model 3 and Model Y sold 1.73 million vehicles together, and no other EV is anywhere close. This is despite intense criticisms, scrutiny, and struggles from media, industry, and short sellers. Selling the dream and vision is what is needed to survive in such a capital-intensive industry. It's not just the EV technology that they are pioneers in. Everyone ridiculed Tesla when they revealed the Model 3 interior, but now the entire industry is following the same template.

Ola has surely overpromised many things, but they are still the ones who have pushed the likes of TVS, Bajaj, and Hero to invest in EV capacity-building instead of just building namesake EV products selling in a few hundred per month. The major issue with Tesla and Musk is wasting time and money on funky-looking products like cybertruck instead of covering the different market segments with normal-looking EVs. Coming to Ola, they have to improve the reliability a lot. Fast-paced development and innovation cannot come at the cost of reliability and quality.

By the way, there is not a single company, that has not delayed their EV launches in the world except maybe a few Chinese companies. VW, Ford, GM, Mercedes, Stellantis, Rivian, and Lucid all have faced the same issues with their EV development as Tesla. This is despite huge improvements in supply chains and battery technology for EVs compared to the time when Tesla was developing their Model S/X and 3. All these companies have even much better funding than Tesla ever had. Even in India, many other companies overpromised and underdelivered but nobody seems to be holding them accountable. TVS launched the iQube ST in April 2022 with the promise of deliveries in August 2022. They also started preorders for the ST on the same day in April 2022. It was delayed 2 years and there is no proper communication from the company in these 2 years. They moved the delivery dates multiple times in these last 2 years. Not just ST, but they have announced in April, 2022 that they will release EV scooters and bikes across all segments in the next 2 years. They even told the same in quarterly earnings calls with investors multiple times. But the only thing they released is that overpriced X model.

Coming to Ola's bikes, the Roadster series design is stunning and at the same time unique. Also, it's good that they are starting with more mainstream-looking designs out of the 4 concepts that they presented last year. Battery capacity, performance, and pricing are very good. As usual, take the range numbers with a ton of salt. But you can estimate real-world ranges with battery capacities which will be decent. Pricing for the 16kWh Roadster Pro seems to be too optimistic to be true.

I wonder if the Republic Day launch would have made more sense than the Independence Day launch for the Ola bikes. Hopefully, they are working on improving the reliability and quality as well.
sri_tesla is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 16th August 2024, 11:38   #29
Senior - BHPian

Am not holding my breath for these bikes - frankly, they look ugly to me and I have been unable to bring myself to trust an EV. Not from established manufacturers of ICE who moved to EV space like TAMO or Germans nor the born EV ones like Ola / Tesla. The whole space is too new to understand long term ownership experience.

But agree with Sri_Tesla that there is no denying both companies make bold statements, make bold bets and have the chops to dig deep and pull a rabbit out of the hat. It's just that the rabbit sometimes it isn't the rabbit you want or if it is, it doesn't live long! But someone has to do it there is no one pushing the envelope!

Coming to Ola, besides typical problems that come with EV space, I find their vehicles are in prolonged beta testing phase at the expense of their customers.

And the other major difference between Ola and Tesla is that Tesla operates in countries with solid regulatory framework (at least relatively) vs. the lackadaisical attitude of our government when it comes to consumer protection and the long drawn out legal process God forbid you have to go there. Let Ola take their products to US and Europe first and then I might place my bets.

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 16th August 2024 at 11:50.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th August 2024, 14:25   #30
Senior - BHPian

They're going for the jugular in their own unique way!

Ola is like watching Rishabh Pant bat against a formidable foe in a test match; while common sense urges caution, he audaciously kneels to sweep a perfect delivery over leg gully. It's both bold and reckless, and yet I wouldn't want it any other way. In a sea of traditional test batsmen, he stands out as the counter-puncher, ruffling the feathers of traditional commentators with his unorthodox style and fearless approach. Sure, he stumbles sometimes, but when he succeeds—like that unforgettable 89 that ended Australia’s 32-year reign at The Gabba—it gives one goosebumps!

That is what Ola is in the Indian two wheeler industry, in a sector dominated by established domestic names and international heavyweights, where common sense suggests that new entrants should struggle to survive. Yet, Ola seems immune to such conventional wisdom, boldly entering the fray with confidence, regardless of external perceptions. No doubt Bhavish has taken a chip of Musk & Tesla, characterized by bold announcements, ambitious targets, and significant financial risk-taking. This daring approach has defined their identity, contrasting sharply with smaller competitors like Ather, Tork, UV etc.. who remain on the periphery of the market.

Any of the major Indian players—Bajaj, TVS, Hero, Eicher—could have made a bold entry into the electric motorcycle race, yet they opted not to. They had the opportunity to dominate the electric scooter market as well, but it was Ola's disruptive presence that finally compelled them to recognize the urgency of electric two-wheeler mobility. By continuing to overlook the electric motorcycle segment, these giants are allowing a relatively junior competitor like Ola to set the agenda and lead the charge.

I may come across as a fan-boy, but I assure you I'm not. We’ve endured more than three years of challenges with our Ola Pro, which was meant to be a thoughtful gift for my dad but turned out to be a nightmare. It broke down multiple times, and reaching the company was a struggle, compounded by poor service access and even social ridicule. We experienced a rollercoaster of emotions—anger, frustration, disappointment—until, finally, in the past year, it has been functioning well, and we now have an accessible service centre. Today he's willing to choose it over his Activa, but the previous hardships we endured are hard to overlook.

Back then, when I sought to buy him an electric scooter, options were limited; the Ather was small and overpriced, we ruled out chinese ones, and both TVS and Bajaj showed little interest in the segment. However, today the landscape has transformed, largely thanks to Ola and the competitive momentum it has generated in the market.

Ola has boldly challenged the motorcycling market, highlighting the surprising oversight by major industry players regarding its immense potential of electric motorcycles. This reminds me of the moment when Australia, at Gabba, mocked Rishabh Pant as he swung wildly after India lost three early wickets, including captain Rahane. Intent on making an impact, he stepped out against Nathan Lyon but missed the ball, putting himself at risk of stumping—a chance that Paine ultimately let slip, and the rest is history.
shortbread is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks