Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2024, 14:27   #1
Senior - BHPian

Honda will kill off its entire ICE motorcycle lineup by 2040; Switch to full-electric fleet

According to media reports, Honda Motorcycles is said to discontinue its entire petrol-powered motorcycle lineup and switch to an all-electric fleet by 2040.

The announcement was made during the company's 2024 Investment Strategy meetings. The company released a statement which read, "Honda has not changed its belief that EVs are the most effective solution in the area of small mobility products such as motorcycles and automobiles, and Honda’s electrification target to make EVs and FCEVs represent 100% of its global vehicle sales by 2040 remains unchanged. Honda must look ahead to the period of EV popularization and build a strong EV brand and a strong EV business foundation from a medium- to long-term perspective."

Honda will kill off its entire ICE motorcycle lineup by 2040; Switch to full-electric fleet-africatwin.jpg

It means, Honda will be phasing out all its popular petrol-powered 2-wheelers, including the likes of the CRF, CBR and even the Africa Twin.

Honda also stated that it will introduce Mobility Power Packs (MPP), which will power its "small mobility products" - i.e. motorcycles. The company also announced a motorcycle with 4 MPPs scheduled for launch in Japan in FY2026. Ahead of that though, Honda has confirmed an electric motorcycle with two MPPs, expected to launch later this year.

Source: RideApart

Link to Team-BHP news
RahulNagaraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2024, 14:50   #2
BHPian

Re: Honda will kill off its entire ICE motorcycle lineup by 2040; Switch to full-electric fleet

If they continue with their current pricing, in India at least - it'll die it's natural death.
Sk8r is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 14th June 2024, 16:30   #3
BHPian

Re: Honda will kill off its entire ICE motorcycle lineup by 2040; Switch to full-electric fleet

This is a joke. Most automakers will turn back on this, mark my words. And if Honda wants to commit suicide, so be it. Good luck with whatever you're trying to achieve, Honda!
Boringrider is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th June 2024, 17:43   #4
BHPian

I don't know what the boffins at Honda are smoking. Unrealistic statement, they need to better off doing what they're good at.
Old 14th June 2024, 18:22   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boringrider View Post
This is a joke. Most automakers will turn back on this, mark my words. And if Honda wants to commit suicide, so be it. Good luck with whatever you're trying to achieve, Honda!
I would like to suggest a more appropriate term : harakiri. The only difference would be that Harakiri would generally be done to preserve their honor. And Honda wouldn't be holding onto their honor and Soichiro Honda's vision.

Soichiro-san would probably rolling in his grave with this announcement!
saitvsk23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2024, 20:32   #6

They are basically are killing something that they have pioneered. I don't understand how to react.
Varun.Lolla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2024, 21:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

Good, but 2040 seems late. The question is not "if?" the question is "when?".

As Michael liebreich in his latest talk said "resistance ( to EVs) is futile". Those who think ICE sales will continue alongside EVs "dream on".
Old 15th June 2024, 11:59   #8

It is bound to happen at some point but I still think 2040 is a very optimistic target. Maybe somewhere between 2050-2060 but thats just my assumption. EVs have come so far but still have some ways to go.
Old 15th June 2024, 19:08   #9
Senior - BHPian

In my head, I am unable to imagine a recreational/leisure riding activity on an EV bike (much as I can relate to an EV car), perhaps it's limited only by my imagination. It seems like big bikes are but another category dream ICE machines poised to go off the market soon.
Old 15th June 2024, 21:36   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
In my head, I am unable to imagine a recreational/leisure riding activity on an EV bike (much as I can relate to an EV car), perhaps it's limited only by my imagination. It seems like big bikes are but another category dream ICE machines poised to go off the market soon.
EV bikes are objectively better if they can fix the range issue.

1. Less noise = more 'revs' without disturbing other people
2. You can have have your rear brake like a scooter meaning its easier to progressively brake with the rear. Bonus, you can do a motogp leg dangle with your right leg too.
3. No gear changes makes off road riding a breeze. Just stand up and gun it.
4. No gear changes means you don't have to deal with fishtailing from aggressive downshifting.
5. No need to tire out your clutch hand in city traffic.
6. The torque delivery is also great. People will never again complain about poor bottom end of a Himalayan 450 or a KTM 390.
7. Smoother than an inline 4 and even i4 get buzzy at higher rpm. Great for touring.
8. Smoother 'engine' = better road feel.
9. The 'engine' can be packaged more compactly than an i4. The F77 is only as wide as a twin cylinder bike (my memory is a bit hazy on this).
10. Reverse gear is a god send if you park the wrong way on sloped roads.
11. No engine oil change, air filter change and other maintenance faff that comes with ICEs.

EV bikes are so easy and everything an ideal motorcycle should be. Anyone grumbling about the ICE engine and exhaust sound should know that you can't hear anything over your earplugs and wind noise anyway.

Only other downside apart from range is the weight but if people are happy with the handling abilities of a RE650 I am sure plenty of people will be satisfied with a heavy battery EV bike too. And tyre and brake pad wear.
hikozaru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2024, 11:16   #11
BHPian

Relax folks. I think it's just some Nitin Gadkari-type people in their comms dept who are prone to making bombastic announcements.

Hard to exactly predict what will happen when. Honda will always wait and watch before doing anything...
loki is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks