Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2024, 14:41   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Deciding between the Honda CBR250R & KTM Duke 390

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
As I would recommend an RC200 instead.

It might sound like a downgrade but the gear ratios make it so fun to ride that as a 390 owner, I never found the 200 ‘lacking’ as such and that’s saying a lot considering it takes twice the time in a 0-100 run.
As a 390 rider who used to be a 200 rider, I totally resonate with this post. The 200 is the perfect student bike. And don't forget the mileage.

But it is a thoroughbred KTM. The tank is small. And your mom still won't be able to sit on it.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 31st May 2024 at 14:43.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2024, 16:02   #17
BHPian

I have ridden both of them, and own the first model Duke 390.

Choose CBR 250 for: highway mileage, smoothness, refined ride, city rideability, overall lower price, aerodynamics & wind blast, etc.
Choose Duke 390 for: Everything else.

If I had to get another vehicle again, it will Duke 390 only, but again, I will have to appreciate how smooth and comfortable the 250R is. I can't deny that.
Duke 390 on the other hand has its shortcomings too, it heats up a bit but you get used to it, you have to change gears a lot in the city, it has the potential to go low on mileage if you're not using it on good roads, some vibrations exist in some revs and throttle positions, although you get used to it.
Plus, there're some gen 1 specific niggles too like speedo showing 0 during a ride sometimes, mirrors being somewhat useless (can be replaced with Bajaj RVMs), the rpm's juggle up and down randomly near idling rpm, etc. It becomes a better city bike if you use the chain sprocket kit from Duke 250 as it undergears the bike, and you can do 50 kmph in 6th gear then.

Overall fuel efficiency has been around 26-27 kmpl. Best was 43 kmpl on constant 80 kmph on highway.
Worst was 4 kmpl on some Dargah backstreets in rush hour, where I couldn't even release the clutch lever, riding at 5-6 kmph and had quite a heavy pillion too. All figures meter indicated.

But I have had this tendency to ignore my brain and listen to my heart. So far, it went well..

Quote:
It might sound like a downgrade but the gear ratios make it so fun to ride that as a 390 owner, I never found the 200 ‘lacking’ as such and that’s saying a lot considering it takes twice the time in a 0-100 run.
I totally echo your thought. When I rode the 200 after a reasonable time on the 390, initially I was shocked to see it performing quite well. Only after the revs climbed up, that I could see it was a 200 after all.

Well, gearshifts are a big reason for that sort of 0-100 time. It is also one of the prime reasons why undergearing doesn't always mean a better 0-100 time.
A 390 needs 2 upshifts to touch 100 kmph, but a 200 needs 4 upshifts. These upshifts are zero-performance moments.

Thus, in real world performance, a 200 is closer to 390, than its 0-100 time suggests.

Last edited by Samarth 619 : 31st May 2024 at 16:26.
Samarth 619 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2024, 16:19   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
9 liters (10.5 actually?) is too small. Mom cannot sit at the back. You will find it very difficult to find a bike a 23 year old will love that his mom can sit behind as well. Dead serious. I know moms. And wives. Never ever ever ever ever buy a bike with a lady (any lady) in mind.

P.PS. Honda Unicorn - learned. Honda CBR250 - loved. Suzuki Gixxer 250 - disliked. From this very brief history I'm seeing a pattern. I personally don't think you will like or be able to live with a KTM. Any KTM.
I agree with your point totally. I don't plan to buy it keeping moms comfort in mind as my dad has a classic 350 so I usually take that out when she wants me to her her somewhere. Although in cases where dad has taken the classic I have to use my daily and mom makes a face if I don't help her out If you are assuming that I am a Honda fanboy I am definitely not. I am a fanboy to good bikes only. Gixxer isn't one according to me. Duke I have ridden and spent few hours with and it put a smile on my face, the heat isn't a big issue to me and with my riding style I am prepared for the worst of mileage. Only thing that I want to know if there are problems in duke that can be dealbreaker for me. Heat isn't a problem, the ******* tag isn't a problem either, only how good it rides and is there are any glitches, easily rusting parts, low quality plastics, etc. End of the day I don't want to be pestered with small things back to back as I work 6 days a week and sundays that I have off even though I love working on bikes, I want to either relax or go on a relaxing ride rather than try to fix something which should have never been a problem in the first place if you get what I mean to say

Quote:
Also the bike might seem extreme and many YouTubers might call it a track machine and all that jazz but it is actually really comfortable (I personally felt like it was more comfortable than softer bikes like the CBR250 and the R15) sit on it and you will understand what I mean.
I think Indian QC has a long way to go before it can match japanese levels. But the prices of parts are so affordable that replacing it again and again don't put a big hole in the pocket. I have seen badly treated dukes still run properly, which means at least it can take some abuse. I treat my bikes really well so as long as I get a bike which is properly serviced I am sure I will be able to live with it easily. When it comes to the position I do love more sporty postures as they give me more room and more engagement when riding. I really think that I it would be good for me to try the duke tho because I don't go out in highways that much and the old RC design although very cool it has started looking old to me. I have indeed ridden both rc and cbr and yes I can understand what you are trying to explain. Thank you so much for your input and advise I will definitely keep this into consideration.
ridealongkirtan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2024, 16:48   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridealongkirtan View Post
If you are assuming that I am a Honda fanboy I am definitely not.
Not at all. I just think that Hondas are inherently very different bikes than KTMs and hence even their respective clientele are quite different in terms of how they are as riders and what they look for in a bike. A lot of the trigger words you have used in your previous posts (unconsciously) are very non KTM. Hence my hunch. But do check them out. You might love the Duke. Just remember ... it will never be the CBR. And most definitely not the Gixxer.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2024, 17:00   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

I owned both the bikes in consideration. Between CBr and Duke 390

CBR 250R - Boring (if you are used to 390s) but comfortable with guaranteed peace of mind

Duke 390 1st gen - Exciting and problematic
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2024, 17:16   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Just remember ... it will never be the CBR. And most definitely not the Gixxer.

Cheers, Doc
Rode the bs4 duke for some time and I loved it. Even recently rode the gen 3 duke 390 and that was a really good bike for me. I am worried less about performance and more about if duke will stay with me trouble-free for at least 2-3 years. Gixxer I don't want to comment on just yet. I want to make a proper ownership and problems thread soon. I know KTM isn't Honda and modern bikes have come a long way when it comes to reliability I just want to make sure that duke doesn't give me some unnecessary troubles. Thank you so much ebonho for taking your time to understand my issue here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
CBR 250R - Boring (if you are used to 390s) but comfortable with guaranteed peace of mind

Duke 390 1st gen - Exciting and problematic
Thank you for such a sweet simple response. I am looking for secondgen/ BS4 Dukes which were somewhat better than 1st gen when it came to living with it daily. Just making sure that I don't have to keep spending more and more to make it run just right. There was a thread which said that duke 390 service manual says to put 1.6L of oil but company suggested 1.5L which was not visible through the oil window. I wonder how I am supposed to keep and eyes of oil level as people even said tilting the bike they couldn't see the oil.
Old 31st May 2024, 17:40   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As a 390 rider who used to be a 200 rider, I totally resonate with this post. The 200 is the perfect student bike. And don't forget the mileage.

But it is a thoroughbred KTM. The tank is small. And your mom still won't be able to sit on it.
The new age RX100 is the KTM 200. 200 is a perfect fun bike for 90% of city riding.
VW2010 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2024, 18:34   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
The new age RX100 is the KTM 200. 200 is a perfect fun bike for 90% of city riding.
Actually its perfect for 100% of city (way more so than the 390) and depending on where and where to you are riding, 80-85% of highway riding. Let's face it, the 200 is comfortably faster than most highway traffic, including sedans. And quicker to those speeds, every time it filters through traffic. The additional 30+ kmph the 390 does is really greed and numbers and once in a way pulls that you as a 400 cc rider are never going to hold on our roads. The 200 will also give you stupendous mileage on highway runs. I get about 27 from my 390. Which is fine. Even my 500s gave that much. But the 200 will make a significant difference on a multi day trip fuel budget.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 31st May 2024 at 18:35.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2024, 00:23   #24
BHPian

I won't suggest getting a cbr again. You already experienced it. And the 2nd gen duke at that price, I don't think so it's possible. I would suggest you look at duke 250. More power than cbr, and the seating posture and looks almost like 2nd gen 390, barring the headlight and instrument console.
. second suggestion would be dominar 400. Heavy but at that price there would be many options with abs. You might also look at rr310, which might be available for 1.4-1.5 lakh.
Flechazo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2024, 00:33   #25

I purchased a CBR250R in 2016 & I am in love with it. I intend to keep it till it lasts. I think the closest machine to CBR250R in terms of performance & reliability is R15. It is phenomenal in design as well since 3rd gen onwards. As far as I understand, it will suit your riding style as well. It should not be underestimated for being a 150!

Last edited by Sangfroid1007 : 1st June 2024 at 00:46.
Sangfroid1007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2024, 03:07   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridealongkirtan View Post
I am worried less about performance and more about if duke will stay with me trouble-free for at least 2-3 years.
Depends on your definition of trouble-free. The 390 has a bad habit of developing valve clearance issues so that is something that needs checking way more often than any other street legal motor. Considering how low labor costs in India, no technician in any KTM service centre would have bothered to carry out routine valve clearance checks and this can cascade into your bike developing more issues down the line. Picking one up used is a sure shot at encountering issues. It also was tuned from the factory to run lean at low rpms in order to meet European A2 license restrictions this makes it run extra hot at low speeds. The stress this engine puts itself in over the course of just one Indian summer is truly mind boggling. Just visit any KTM service centre; I guarantee you will 100% see atleast 3 390s all stripped out with their engines opened up. At the end of the day it depends on how much you are willing to put up with.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 1st June 2024 at 03:12.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2024, 07:20   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangfroid1007 View Post
I purchased a CBR250R in 2016 & I am in love with it. I intend to keep it till it lasts. I think the closest machine to CBR250R in terms of performance & reliability is R15. It is phenomenal in design as well since 3rd gen onwards. As far as I understand, it will suit your riding style as well. It should not be underestimated for being a 150!
I don't like the R15 for just one reason. It makes you sit "on" the bike. Whereas on the CBR, you sit in the bike, somewhat like a 90's sportbike and that helps you in connecting better with the bike. Maybe because I am of a bulkier build I feel like that, guys lighter than me might feel the opposite with the R15. My experience was on a R15 V4.
Old 1st June 2024, 11:11   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flechazo View Post
second suggestion would be dominar 400. Heavy but at that price there would be many options with abs. You might also look at rr310, which might be available for 1.4-1.5 lakh.
Dominar I don't like that much, it isn't agile enough to my liking in the city. RR310 is out of bounds because the earlier version which I can get has problems of its own plus I haven't heard a single good thing about TVS service centres. Thank you so much for your suggestions. Will try my best to find a duke, if I can't, I guess its back to Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangfroid1007 View Post
. As far as I understand, it will suit your riding style as well. It should not be underestimated for being a 150!
My plans for my CBR were the same but a single accident ruined it for me. Glad to see others still have the same love for CBR as me. Hope you'll keep it and maintain it for a long time.
If I hadn't ridden other bikes like duke, dominar, street triple I would be happy to get a r15 but now it just feels like a toy for me. A precision toy to be exact. No doubt it's an amazing bike but I think I have passed the 155cc phase already. I am not a top speed is everything guy

Quote:
Just visit any KTM service centre; I guarantee you will 100% see at least 3 390s all stripped out with their engines opened up. At the end of the day, it depends on how much you are willing to put up with.
I am learning to do valve clearance and shim adjustments on my own. Having a naked bike will make it easier for me to learn. It would be good practice for me too. Provided I get the service manual and the right torque spec for everything I think I can manage it. I do have a feeler gauge too for the same. As long as it doesn't break down on me for unknown reasons I think I will be fine. Hope that everything is documented on the internet about the duke by now
Old 1st June 2024, 14:17   #29

Quote:
Will try my best to find a duke, if I can't, I guess its back to Unicorn
Instead of going back to unicorn, try new hornet as well. Smooth, reliable & a looker. It is not as agile & nimble as, say a Duke, but still is very capable. I am sorry that you had a bad experience with unicorn, but it is a great bike, Hornet is one level higher. If you are not a top speed guy & ready to go back to unicorn, have a look at CB 300F as well.
Sangfroid1007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2024, 14:28   #30
Senior - BHPian

Get a Bullet 350. The standard black one with the gold piping. Whatever new fangled engine it might have, it still looks like a Bullet, and given the right muffler (don't know if the new ones still run on carbs) could still passably sound like a Bullet. I think a brand new one would just fit in your 1.20 lac budget (I was counseling a friend in Goa recently ... middle aged born again biker, who wanted to buy that 220 kilo new monstrosity ... can't remember the name).

Cheers, Doc

P.S. It has a big 15 liter tank. And your mum will love the pillion seat. Flat and generous. Added benefit, you also graduate from a boy to a man in the eyes of the cops, your boss, your office colleagues, your dad, and girls your age.

Last edited by ebonho : 1st June 2024 at 14:31.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks