Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2024, 18:07   #1
Senior - BHPian

Harley-Davidson & Hero could bring more US models to India

According to a media report, Harley-Davidson and Hero MotoCorp plan to expand their partnership to bring more American motorcycles to India.

Harley-Davidson & Hero could bring more US models to India-2023_harley_davidson_x440_03.jpg

The report states that Harley and Hero are close to finalising an agreement that would pave the way for new models. It is said that the two companies might also agree to manufacture Harley-Davidson bikes in India. These bikes could be sold locally and also exported to overseas markets.

Hero MotoCorp currently manufactures the Harley-Davidson X440 at its Neemrana plant in Rajasthan. The Indian 2-wheeler maker also has the rights to sell and service Harley bikes, along with spare parts, accessories and merchandise.

Neither Harley-Davidson nor Hero MotoCorp has confirmed these reports. However, if rumours are to be believed, an official announcement could be made in the coming weeks.

Source: ET Auto

Link to Team-BHP news
TusharK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 19:39   #2
BHPian

Re: Harley-Davidson & Hero could bring more US models to India

Bajaj is literally sleeping on the Avenger without giving it significant updates. What started as the Kawasaki Eliminator, BAL made it fantastic value for money by ditching the Kawasaki engine (no royalty payments?) and with the exit of Enciter, the Avenger remained one of the most affordable long-wheelbase cruisers. If am right, currently Avenger is selling only few thousands of units every month because there are newer and more exciting options available. It would be nice if the Hero Group-Harley Davidson bring in a long wheelbase cruiser like the Avenger. They can save costs by using that torquey x440 mill. Fingers crossed.
ashwanth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 20:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwanth View Post
Bajaj is literally sleeping on the Avenger without giving it significant updates.

It would be nice if the Hero Group-Harley Davidson bring in a long wheelbase cruiser like the Avenger. They can save costs by using that torquey x440 mill. Fingers crossed.
Cannot Bajaj do the same thing much easier by putting the Pulsar NS400 Z / Dominar mill based on the older Gen 1 373 cc KTM mill into rhe Avenger.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2024, 08:43   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Cannot Bajaj do the same thing much easier by putting the Pulsar NS400 Z / Dominar mill based on the older Gen 1 373 cc KTM mill into rhe Avenger.

Cheers, Doc
I'm honestly sad that cruisers are fading out in favour of big bulky ADVs which people use it for more or less for the same things that a laid-back cruiser does. I belong to that generation where having a Yamaha Enticer, or a Kawasaki Eliminator was cool! Even having a Discover was damn cool! Not the funky stickered one, but the plain jet black one. One of my neighbours downstairs used to have that circa 2005, and I thought that was damn cool! The round headlight pulsar will be my all-time favorite classic design!

Back in the day when all this Team-BHP discussions used to happen on MSN forums, people know that the Avenger was a rebadged Kawasaki Eliminator 175. Since then it is more or less unchanged, except for the semi-digital cluster and upgradation to latest emission norms. And sometime along the way, they decided to plonk in the Pulsar 220F's engine into the frame and make a somewhat competent motorcycle.

Perhaps, Bajaj can do the same now. What Mahindra essentially did with the New-gen Thar, was to bring it as close as possible to the Wrangler, which essentially shares its roots with the Willys Jeep and, the Indian CJ500. What Bajaj can do is go the Eliminator 450 way, put a Dominar engine into a cruiser styled frame. They can easily achieve this, they can already use the lazy rake angle part of the Dominar and then design a somewhat lower subframe part for the rear half, and a nicely truss-built swingarm. Give riders an optional front-peg set, and they'll be happy! One day, I would love to sit down and make a somewhat competent design on this idea! And when it's done, I'll upload it here.

They'll have the best-ever Avenger on their hands, and open up to a whole new demographic of buyers who are looking for a conventional looking cruiser but with Dominar's heart and performance. The avenger is basically the same since DECADES.

Maybe, who knows, this cup of coffee is already brewing at Bajaj, and maybe, who knows, that they've decided to call it the Darkstar as per recently filed trademarks!
saitvsk23 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2024, 22:55   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Cannot Bajaj do the same thing much easier by putting the Pulsar NS400 Z / Dominar mill based on the older Gen 1 373 cc KTM mill into rhe Avenger.Cheers, Doc
Yes Doc, they can do that but I have no idea as how easy it is to fit that engine in the current chassis.

Also, most of the Bajaj/KTM motors are high-revving short-stroke units. A long stroke & torquey motor will be more appropriate for a cruiser. Many years back, there were rumors going around that BAL was trying to plonk NS200's engine in the Avenger, it was not true. I feel Avenger is one of the best bikes from BAL
ashwanth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 05:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

From what I remember of my rides of the Dominar, its not a screamer of a motor. In fact that's one of the first things I noticed, given that I went in expecting a somewhat clone of mt Duke 390 mill. I can thus quite happily see that mill doing service on a stretched out cruiser like the Avenger. I do't know if the configuration can sit in the Avenger cradle and tank combo, bur that's something Bajaj guys should quite easily be able to address. While still retaining the classic looks, stance and tank shape. Personally I'm definitely not a cruiser guy, but I see this as an obvious addition to round off their pretty impressive 400 cc stable.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks