Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2024, 12:40   #121

Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan-based Guerrilla 450

Why is there no official team-bhp review of this bike as of yet? A comparison between the Speed 400 and Guerilla 450 will be hugely beneficial.
Old 20th August 2024, 21:02   #122
BHPian

Test rode the bike in the city and on the highway, test rode it alone and then with my wife as pillion and this is what i felt:

Positives:
1. The set up on this bike has to be the most engaging to ride from RE in recent times.
2. Its a big bike, bigger than the ktm 390 duke and speed 400.
3. Sound from the exhaust and the induction sound when you rev makes the whole experience very engaging. I found this to be lacking in the speed 400.
4. Its a rev happy engine, torque spread throughout the rev range is good. Its a bike which you could ride slowly, putter around and then really open up on the highway.
5. Handle bar width is right for filtering in the city.
6. Moving the bike in parking spot was not as difficult as i thought it would be given the 185kg weight.
7. Vibration are well contained for a 450cc single i felt the speed 400 had more vibration. My wife gave a feedback saying this has less vibration compared to my 390 duke and svartpilen. She liked the bassy exhaust note.
8. Footrest position for pillion is placed nice and wide.
9. Both brakes have good bite and progression. Although the stopping power is not like the ktm.
10. Riders triangle is good, kept me well engaged at the same time its comfortable. Even for pillion the seat is wide and comfortable.
11. Suspension doesn’t dive under braking.

Negatives:
1. Integration of the rear indicator and taillight might cause problems for others on the road as they may not be able to judge what these lights mean, the brake light led surrounds the indicator led and people may miss this flashing orange light when the brakes are applied while taking a turn. Taking into consideration there are people with poor eye sight driving on our roads.
2. My wife found the seat to be slippery at times she would slide forward. She was wearing jeans.
3. The tank has a weird shape its not easy to grip.
4. Stamped rear brake and gear levers do make the bike look a bit budget. They should give adjustable rear brake lever.
5. Mirrors are small and the test ride bike’s left side mirror had come loose.

My thoughts:
390 duke is more sharper, more performance oriented and more precise than this. Guerrilla to me is like a more user friendly version of the 390, sounds good revs quickly, comfortable to ride at the same time. If ktm were to make a jack of all trades version of the 390 duke i think it would end up being something like the Guerrilla 450.
Shonith is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 21st August 2024, 20:06   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonith View Post

My thoughts:
390 duke is more sharper, more performance oriented and more precise than this. Guerrilla to me is like a more user friendly version of the 390, sounds good revs quickly, comfortable to ride at the same time. If ktm were to make a jack of all trades version of the 390 duke i think it would end up being something like the Guerrilla 450.
This is all that I needed to ever hear about this beauty! Shall take a test ride soon and probably just book it.
HartBandit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2024, 22:27   #124
BHPian

I own a Himalayan 450 and have ridden it for close to 3000 kilometres now. Was invited for the test ride event organized by Bullmen motors Coimbatore to test ride the guerilla 450. I visited the showroom and was immediately handed the keys to the guerilla 450 in its "Gold Dip" avatar.
I wasn't expecting too much from the guerilla as my Himalayan 450 shares the same engine with similar power figures. Boy O boy was I wrong:

1) The pull of the guerilla almost blew me of my seat. It instantly reminded me of the KTM Duke 390. Compared to this, my Himalayan has a linear power delivery.
2) It feels extremely light to ride and maneuver. It does justice to the guerilla tag - Agile, swift and powerful.
3) Suspension is road oriented. This is totally understandable for its intended use.
4) Smooth and buzz free engine. I was wondering if this is the same engine they put in the Himalayan. Took it to 100 kmph and it was buzz free.
5) Only intended for city use and the occasional highway rides. As a barebones bike, you are exposed to the full elements of mother nature. Wouldn't dare take this one on long trips even with a windshield on.

A final note - this is not a beginners bike. The power is too much and delivered in a KTMsque fashion. But overall a fantastic bike and would recommend this to someone looking to commute in the city and have fun as well. I found the Brava blue to be the best looking of the lot.

Royal Enfield Himalayan-based Guerrilla 450-20240901_104515.jpg

Royal Enfield Himalayan-based Guerrilla 450-20240901_104419.jpg

Royal Enfield Himalayan-based Guerrilla 450-20240901_104406.jpg
true_sedan is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2024, 11:53   #125
Senior - BHPian

I fear reading the words 'buzz free'. My Himalayan 450 creates a lot of buzz, (in fact, my iPhone fell prey to the vibes). Reviewers would call it 'buzz free', back then .
Quote:
Originally Posted by true_sedan View Post
Smooth and buzz free engine. I was wondering if this is the same engine they put in the Himalayan. Took it to 100 kmph and it was buzz free.
Sebring is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2024, 12:00   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I fear reading the words 'buzz free'. My Himalayan 450 creates a lot of buzz, (in fact, my iPhone fell prey to the vibes). Reviewers would call it 'buzz free', back then .
Yes, I remember your iphone incident in the Himalayan 450 thread caused by the handlebar buzz. But the guerilla 450 engine felt so different that I started to wonder whether they used Himmies sherpa 450 in it. Take a test ride to know the difference. Trust me, it almost blew me off my seat and was very smooth.
true_sedan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2024, 10:16   #127
BHPian

Something about the bike has been alluring me for the past few days. My search results have all been Guerrilla 450, Guerrilla 450 review etc.

The only gripe I have, if at all I ever think of purchasing it (My bullet 350 is not gonna leave anytime soon) is that God-awful tank. 11 litres? Seriously? They transferred over the himmy's engine but not its food source! It would seriously limit the usability of the bike to strictly urban limits and that is not a good scenario in the Indian market where motorcycles are mostly limited to one per household.

Anyway, guys at Reddit always have the answers to anything we imagine; the Himalayan seats and tank on the Guerrilla and I'm all for it!

Royal Enfield Himalayan-based Guerrilla 450-guerrilla450xhimalayan450v067uanfikt0gd1.jpg

Link to image source
that_sedate_guy is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 14th September 2024, 22:54   #128
BHPian

Went for a very short test ride today for the Himalayan 450 and the Guerrilla 450. Here are my observations based on 4 parameters, because that's what caputured my attention the the most. I haven't gone through the spec sheet of either of these. The observations are purely based on feel. For reference, I own the Honda CB300R and the CB350 H'Ness.

Himalayan 450:
1) Acceleration: Felt ok. Nothing exciting about it. Didn't feel the kick even after 6000 rpm with the throttle fully open. I think the weight is the culprit here.
2) Comfort: Glides over small road undulations at high speeds. Clutch is light.
3) Handling: The front does not have any feel to it. But it holds it's line well in fast flowing corners.
4) Braking: Decent enough, but not confidence inspiring. There is nose dive due to the long travel suspension.

Guerrilla 450:
1) Acceleration: Was a bit exciting. The engine wakes up in it's midrange with a strong pull.
2) Comfort: Definitely stiffer than Himalayan, but complaint enough on small road undulations at medium speeds. Clutch is light.
3) Handling: Stiffer suspension setup definitely helps here. The front end feel is better than the Himalayan.
4) Braking: Very confidence inspiring. The shape of the brake lever also helps here.

Commonalities:
1) Both mask their weight well above 40kmph.
2) Engine smoothness, to my surprise, felt better than my CB300R. I think its because of lighter accelerator, one dont have to grip it that much tightly, thus less vibrations getting transferred to the hand. But there are vibrations on the tank and on the footpegs at higher rpms.
3) Engine sound: Very good at mid rpms. But whack open the throttle and they both sound more than they go. Engine sound has a distinct clatter to it. First thought that came to my mind was the diesel clatter.

To summarise:
Acceleration: Guerrilla 450 > CB300R >~ Himalayan 450 >>> CB350 H'Ness
Comfort: Himalayan 450 >> Guerrilla 450 >> CB300R >~ CB350 H'Ness
Handling: CB300R >>> Guerrilla 450 > CB350 H'Ness >~ Himalayan 450
Braking: Guerrilla > CB300R > Himalayan 450 > CB350 H'Ness
Clutch feel: CB350 H'Ness > CB300R > Guerrilla 450 ~ Himalayan 450
Throttle feel: CB350 H'Ness > Himalayan 450 >~ Guerrilla 450 > CB300R
Parking speed waddling ease: CB300R >> Guerrilla 450 > CB350 H'Ness >> Himalayan 450

Last edited by t3rm1n80r : 14th September 2024 at 23:15. Reason: Fixed typos
t3rm1n80r is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th September 2024, 07:15   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3rm1n80r View Post
Guerrilla 450:
4) Braking: Very confidence inspiring. The shape of the brake lever also helps here.

Braking: Guerrilla > CB300R > Himalayan 450 > CB350 H'Ness
Braking set up on the guerrilla is really good considering it’s the heaviest bike in its class. It uses sintered pad front and back one reason why it stops so well. On most bikes the rear lacks bite, but not on this. After seeing what sintered pad does to the rear brake i replaced it on my 390 duke and svartpilen.
Shonith is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2024, 19:03   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by that_sedate_guy View Post

The only gripe I have, if at all I ever think of purchasing it (My bullet 350 is not gonna leave anytime soon) is that God-awful tank. 11 litres? Seriously?
11 litres is enough, if the mileage is around 40's. For this class, riders are ready to accept 30's. But heard mileage is poor. Current users, please comment on the Fuel efficiency.

Last edited by jaaz : 21st September 2024 at 19:05.
jaaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2024, 13:28   #131
Senior - BHPian

YouTuber Abhinav is going to attempt the Guerrilla tank onto the Himalayan 450. His next exercise
Quote:
Anyway, guys at Reddit always have the answers to anything we imagine; the Himalayan seats and tank on the Guerrilla and I'm all for it!
Sebring is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2024, 19:18   #132
BHPian

Quote:
YouTuber Abhinav is going to attempt the Guerrilla tank onto the Himalayan 450. His next exercise
Will the Himalayan 450 Seats fit the Guerrilla 450?
Old 23rd September 2024, 00:03   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
11 litres is enough, if the mileage is around 40's.
Users commenting on YouTube and Reddit mostly report mileage figures less than 30. Even most the youtubers who tested it got mid 20's from normal-ish riding. That would limit the usable range to 200 kms at best I think

Quote:
Oh really? A video of this when it comes out will bridge the gaps between renders, speculation and reality
Old 4th October 2024, 17:52   #134

Heard some YouTube guy saying that RE has acknowledged the tappet noise issue and is willing to replace them free of cost (for both guerrilla and himalayan). Is this info true?

Also, RE is now providing rear tyre mudguard replacement/attachment for an additional cost. (If you see under the current rear mud guard, you can see 2 screw holes already in place. Maybe they knew the issue all along and were developing an additional attachment? idk.)

Can someone confirm these?
behemoth_22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2024, 18:26   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The only gripe I have, if at all I ever think of purchasing it (My bullet 350 is not gonna leave anytime soon) is that God-awful tank.
I actually like the tank design except for the Off-set filler cap. In fact the only things I didn't like are the:
- Off-set filler cap.
- Off-set instrument cluster

I took a Test Ride when I had gone to fit the crash guard and pannier racks on my Himalayan. I would the bike very nimble and easy to ride compared to the Himalayan.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks