Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2024, 19:02   #1

Modifying a Hero Honda CD100 to make it look like the CB100

Hi this is my first post here although I've been reading for a while. I'm interested in classic lightweight mopeds and motorcycles. I've always loved the early 70's Honda CB100 as pictured below which to me is the quintessential modern commuter classic. The single cylinder version had a vertical 5 speed.

This wasn't ever sold in India, nor was it's successor, the CG125 (still popular all around the world including Pakistan, China and SE Asia). India did receive the very popular Hero Honda CD100 with a somewhat similar look but cut down 4 speed engine, but it is no longer sold and there's no classic 100cc bike in India at the moment to my knowledge that I could use as a base.

So the project is to modify an a CD100 (round headlamp, instrument cluster etc) for the desired CB look. Thoughts?

However the horizontal 4 speed CD100 engine would look quite puny and won't give the swept exhaust look.
One idea is to source a modern CG125 engine which is apparently very common in China (fake clone or Honda licensed copy) but it could be unreliable and expensive to import. Barring this, is there any Indian 100-125cc Honda or HH engine on any current or old model that would be a good fit?

Ps. I'm sorry if I'm not allowed to ask here, but does anyone know of a good CD100 for sale in Punjab or nearby states?

Thanks for your input and advice!

1972 Honda CB100 photos original source:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-honda-cb100/
Hero Honda CD100 stock image: https://www.bikes4sale.in/details/hero/cd/cd-100/
Attached Thumbnails
Modifying a Hero Honda CD100 to make it look like the CB100-1972_honda_cb100_1612457690549e74dp1142050.jpg  

Modifying a Hero Honda CD100 to make it look like the CB100-1972_honda_cb100_16124576856183365ad3f438a48p1142048.jpg  

Modifying a Hero Honda CD100 to make it look like the CB100-1610918520a48fc4p1041899.jpg  

Modifying a Hero Honda CD100 to make it look like the CB100-1972_honda_cb100_161245774187549p1142072.jpg  

Modifying a Hero Honda CD100 to make it look like the CB100-herocd100640.jpg  

Retroclassic is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th May 2024, 09:25   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Modifying a Hero Honda CD100 to make it look like the CB100

Won't be worth the effort, IMHO. Even if you manage the looks, you'll either have the basic economy-oriented engine from the CD100, or a poor quality imported engine.

Instead, why not save the time, and spend the same money on iconic motorcycles already on sale in India. If you prefer retro, an RX100? RD350? Not too hard to find a decent one, or one in need of restoration.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th May 2024, 12:33   #3
BHPian

The Hero Honda CD100 and CD100SS have their own charm and IMHO timeless designs. The CD100 was one of the first 4-stroke bikes to be launched in India, so it has its own page in Indian motorcycle history. Hero had a bike called CD Dawn, which had a round headlamp with overall classic look. It might be a better candidate and the spares will be easily available for this bike if anything goes wrong.
Old 9th May 2024, 12:39   #4
BHPian

I think your use case clearly asks for a Vehicle, that has good mod potential plus an engine which is capable. Your best bet would be an RX135 or RX100, but in this current market, buying a stock one is extremely expensive. You could also check out other motorcycles such as the Samurai or Shogun, and if you are adventurous enough, the KB100
Old 9th May 2024, 14:42   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroclassic View Post
Hi this is my first post here although I've been reading for a while. I'm interested in classic lightweight mopeds and motorcycles. I've always loved the early 70's Honda CB100 as pictured below which to me is the quintessential modern commuter classic. The single-cylinder version had a vertical 5-speed.

So the project is to modify a CD100 (round headlamp, instrument cluster etc) for the desired CB look. Thoughts?
I would advise you to go for an imported classic Honda. Even though never sold here in India there are imports, especially twins like the CB 125. It would be better to get one of those original bikes and spend money on it which will reward you for the effort you are planning to put in rather than modifying a very different motorcycle, CD 100 have its own charm better leave it as is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchsvy View Post
The CD100 was one of the first 4-stroke bikes to be launched in India, so it has its own page in Indian motorcycle history.
Royal Enfield was on sale in India decades before the CD 100. Still, the CD 100 have its own space for being the first 100 cc 4-stroke commuter bike with a Horizontal engine and C-shaped chassis based on the Iconic Honda Cub
justin.das is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2024, 15:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

CD100 should be available in plenty, but converting this to CB100 is going to be a challenge. You can try fitting a Shine 125 engine , but chassis for CD100 will need to be modified.

In fact CB Shine 125 would be a good donor bike for this project.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2024, 19:05   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

The oldest Hero Honda CD 100 is just turning forty and shall officially qualify as a vintage by 2035-36. It has its own iconic looks with the then decals and its imported Japanese components. A clean example of the stock bike, like the one in blue you have posted is very rare to sight. It's best to leave such a bike with its original factory fresh looks.

For your project, you can choose a later CD 100 from the turn of the millennium (these are dirt cheap in the used bike market) to experiment upon. Hero Honda launched the Ambition with a 4 speed gearbox and a 135 cc engine, but it had a short model life. But these Ambitions are rare to find now.

As regards China these could be cloned copies of the original Honda CB 100. And as for Pakistan, their local partners would not be during the earlier barred by the shareholding limits with Honda of Japan. Also the CB 100 could have been imported as a completely built unit (CBU) into Pakistan as they were importing automobiles then. In India then the equity holding pattern was mandatorily higher for the Indian partner (Hero) vis-a-vis, the foreign (Honda) partner. Hence, in such cases the foreign partner mostly parts with its older generation technology.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 9th May 2024 at 19:14.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2024, 23:05   #8
BHPian

First of all, the CD100 has a 'backbone' type chassis which is meant for supporting a horizontal engine, so forget about installing a vertical engine in that frame. Second of all, what is the point? CD100 already has it's own sweet retro charm. A well maintained CD100/CD100 SS is fun to ride with it's sweet rumbling exhaust note.

As far as I know, CB100 was a ~ 10hp, 5 speed, sporty 100cc by Honda. We actually got a spiritual successor to it in the form of CB Twister 110 which had 9 hp and 1 down - 4 up gearbox. If you really want to build something like the CB100, then the best option is to source a used Twister or better a Shine 125 and convert it into retro looks using round headlamp, tail lamps and body parts from vintage RX series and other such bikes. Source an exhaust muffler from CD100 or Euro 1 Splendor and you will get that retro beat. You can get your desired outcome, but you'll have to deal with leagal issues as such modifications are illegal in our country.

Modifying a Hero Honda CD100 to make it look like the CB100-images-31.jpeg
Or you can source this particular bike called Splendor Pro Classic, which was a limited run cafe racer version of Splendor. It's engine has a slightly peppier tune and with proper white & red Honda livery, it would look uber cool!

Modifying a Hero Honda CD100 to make it look like the CB100-images-32.jpeg
P.S - A tastefully modified CD100 is still drool worthy. Like this example from Kerala with bits from Shogun and Pulsar.

Image source - Google

Last edited by RD410 : 10th May 2024 at 23:25.
RD410 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2024, 11:55   #9

Thank you for the prompt and helpful advice and suggestions guys! Sorry admins for my late reply, somehow my draft message got lost and I wasn't able to type it again until now.

I didn't realise that this project would be so challenging and am re-thinking it based on all your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin.das View Post
I would advise you to go for an imported classic Honda. Even though never sold here in India there are imports, especially twins like the CB 125.
An actual classic would be ideal! Where can I find an old import (or even scrap for refurb) at reasonable prices (less than 1l)? I personally have never seen one up North. Since seeing your message I dug further and found an old thread (My Brother's 1975 Honda CB 125)from 2009 referring to the CB125 being popular in MH via Goa in the 70s (I can't PM the person as a new member).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD410 View Post
First of all, the CD100 has a 'backbone' type chassis which is meant for supporting a horizontal engine, so forget about installing a vertical engine in that frame. Second of all, what is the point? CD100 already has it's own sweet retro charm. A well maintained CD100/CD100 SS is fun to ride with it's sweet rumbling exhaust note.

You can get your desired outcome, but you'll have to deal with leagal issues as such modifications are illegal in our country..
Thanks for the heads up, I didn't realise that the CD100 frame can't support a vertical engine. Also thank you for pointing out the legal issues. Having been out of India for the better part of 2 decades, I forgot how burdensome things are here.

Having not experienced a CD100 myself I plan to do so and see whether I enjoy the ride I was under the impression that it's an economy 4 speed engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Instead, why not save the time, and spend the same money on iconic motorcycles already on sale in India. If you prefer retro, an RX100? RD350? Not too hard to find a decent one, or one in need of restoration.
I'm really not into 2 stroke bikes (mopeds being an exception). Apart from the Bullet 350, what other production 4 strokes were in the Indian market in the 40s-80? Was there anything from BSA or Norton?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
A clean example of the stock bike, like the one in blue you have posted is very rare to sight. It's best to leave such a bike with its original factory fresh looks.

For your project, you can choose a later CD 100 from the turn of the millennium (these are dirt cheap in the used bike market) to experiment upon...
Yes I wouldn't want to ruin a genuine made-in-Japan early classic. I'm looking at the turn of the millenium models. There are indeed a LOT of such bikes on the market, but with 10+ years expired RCs. With the new late per-month penalty system, a 10 year expired RC renewal would run into 40,000 in penalty charges alone!
Old 27th May 2024, 15:11   #10
BHPian

Quote:
An actual classic would be ideal! Where can I find an old import (or even scrap for refurb) at reasonable prices (less than 1l)? I personally have never seen one up North. Since seeing your message I dug further and found an old thread (My Brother's 1975 Honda CB 125)from 2009 referring to the CB125 being popular in MH via Goa in the 70s (I can't PM the person as a new member).
Nothing is going to be reasonable when you are looking for rare motorcycles so keeping a strict budget won't help. Keep an eye on the FB marketplace and other online markets for fair deals and close it if you like it . Things won't end up there as well, all components need to be imported again not going to be easy on the pocket!
Old 27th May 2024, 15:25   #11
BHPian

Didn't this type of CD100 make it to the Indian Market?.

Modifying a Hero Honda CD100 to make it look like the CB100-herocd100640.jpg

Few may still be running around. I remember seeing one recently in bangalore. This would be earlier to restore. I would not get into any modification of an existing one. Its not worth it.
Old 28th May 2024, 00:05   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
Didn't this type of CD100 make it to the Indian Market?.

Few may still be running around. I remember seeing one recently in bangalore. This would be earlier to restore. I would not get into any modification of an existing one. Its not worth it.
As per my original post, I am interested in the classic 70s CB100 or 125, with a good 5 speed vertical engine. The Indian Market got the CD100 in 1986, with a somewhat similar appearance but with an economy horizontal 4 speed engine. So i thought to modify a CD100 to make it look and perform like a classic with a different engine.

As per the advice from bhpians, engine modification is a no-no in India. I am not inclined to modify a modern Honda shine as it has no classic heritage. So i am feeling inclined to live with an Indian CD100ss with round headlight and classic classic speedometer, whilst praying that I can find a genuine old imported classic CB single or twin.
Old 28th May 2024, 00:26   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin.das View Post
Nothing is going to be reasonable when you are looking for rare motorcycles so keeping a strict budget won't help. Keep an eye on the FB marketplace and other online markets for fair deals and close it if you like it . Things won't end up there as well, all components need to be imported again not going to be easy on the pocket!
I am unfortunately limited by a budget that doesn't go beyond a lakh. These bikes sell for around $1000 in the US and Malaysia.

As to being rare, in India it seems that the market for classics has exploded in recent years. In other countries, just being rare or imported doesn't make something valuable or expensive. Only something of collectible value is valuable (special edition, famous heritage etc). 2 stroke Japanese bikes which are all the rage in India are rare in the US but not considered collectible. So people give them away for free or cheap within the biker's community as projects or gifts. It's no big deal. That used to happen in India in my youth. But India has changed in the past 20 years and things have gone out of hand. 2 strokes sell for a lac, which blows my mind. Even scrap yards of rusted junk sells for a lot nowadays because someone out there wants to make and monetize a YouTube restoration video. I don't plan to facilitate this by paying for more than something is worth, it just takes one high sale to push the whole market up.

Sorry for the rant, I just don't agree with this materialistic change in this country!
Old 28th May 2024, 09:33   #14
BHPian

Quote:
I am unfortunately limited by a budget that doesn't go beyond a lakh. These bikes sell for around $1000 in the US and Malaysia.
Ok, Understood.

Quote:
As to being rare, in India it seems that the market for classics has exploded in recent years. In other countries, just being rare or imported doesn't make something valuable or expensive. Only something of collectible value is valuable (special edition, famous heritage etc). 2 stroke Japanese bikes which are all the rage in India are rare in the US but not considered collectible. So people give them away for free or cheap within the biker's community as projects or gifts. It's no big deal.
Two-stroke twins like RD's are not rare in the US there are plenty . High-priced US spec parts are coming from the US market. Both parts and bikes are expensive in the US market as well, check out the online listed prices in the US for an RD 350. Giving away or swapping a bike for another bike happens within the community it has nothing to do with the market value. I got my CB350 Twin as a gift from an elderly man who was impressed with my passion for classics but that doesn't mean it's not of any value. He is rich and Is in Late Adulthood so he wishes to see the bike with someone who loves it.

Quote:
That used to happen in India in my youth. But India has changed in the past 20 years and things have gone out of hand. 2 strokes sell for a lac, which blows my mind. Even scrap yards of rusted junk sells for a lot nowadays because someone out there wants to make and monetize a YouTube restoration video. I don't plan to facilitate this by paying for more than something is worth, it just takes one high sale to push the whole market up.

Sorry for the rant, I just don't agree with this materialistic change in this
country!
I agree with the fact that the prices have gone up significantly. The demand has risen and availability is low in comparison with demand. Spare parts prices have gone up and labour costs are also more than double adding up to the prices. This is not exclusive to motorcycles, this is in general for any classics! Note: The Ferrari 250 GTO was sold for peanuts in the recent past now that car alone costs more than 70 Million Dollars. Nissan Skyline GTR prices are going over the roof ! - this is how the classic world works.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks