Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2024, 23:09   #1

Which 200 - 300cc motorcycle for 2-lakh rupees?

This is my first post and I have been reading team bhp forum for a very long time.
I am about to purchase a bike in a month or two, at a budget of around 2L and 200-300cc segment. I need your valuable suggestions and inputs in shortlisting my bike, I am a 25-year-old IT professional, 6 ft tall and residing in Chennai.
This is not my first bike; I am upgrading from 150cc commuter bike. I will use the bike mainly in urban jungles and I tour once in 3 months for 1000-1500 kms and it should have good reliability.

Requirements:
- Must have dual channel ABS and possibly new age features like slipper clutch, Traction control, all LED lights and Bluetooth connectivity (nice to have).
- Around 25bhp
- Naked or faired but not too committed riding position
- Assured mileage of 33kmpl+
- Usage: 75% within city, occasional highway runs and touring
- Should have good low and mid-range
- Accessibility to service and spares are highly important
- Pillion comfort shouldn’t be too bad because I tour with my friends
- I would appreciate touring modification options readily available in the market
- Bike should not be stressed at 100 to 115kmph cruising with a pillion rider.

Bikes considered:
1. TVS Apache RTR 200 4v: used- 2022+ model at 1.1- 1.2L
2. TVS Apache RR 310: used 2021+ model at 2L
3. Bajaj Pulsar NS 200: New at 1.99L on road price
4. Bajaj Dominar 250: used one – 2022+ model at 1.4-1.5 L
5. Honda CB 300F: New at 2.2L or used bike based on availability.
6. RE Meteor 350: used 2021+ at 1.7-1.9L

1. TVS Apache RTR 200 4V:
I have very good experience with this bike for the last 2 years as it is owned by my dearest friend, I have clocked more than 4000kms on his bike in city riding conditions, on ghats and in highways. I felt this bike really performs well in city and ghats but it lacks in highway because it struggles when it is pushed beyond 105 kmph with a pillion.

Pros:
- Good all-rounder bike; practical and user friendly
- Returns great average of 40kmpl even in ghats or city conditions
- Has new technology and features inbuilt
- Adjustable front and rear suspension
- Pocket friendly to own and maintain
- It can be taken to track in future and learn (I am planning to do some track days)
- Riding modes and Bluetooth connectivity

Cons:
- I really miss 6th gear for highway cruising
- Under powered ~ 20hp
- Lack of wide range of touring accessories in the market
- TVS service experience is not up to the mark

2.TVS Apache RR 310:
I had ridden this bike for very short test ride, I am considering this bike because a pre worshipped 2021 models comes at price range of new 200cc bikes and it is loaded with technology & features which no bike has in sub 500cc segment. It is a sprots cruiser so I can do touring also as the riding position is not so committed.

Pros:
- It is seriously a looker (mini Daytona at front end and Ducati in tail- my POV)
- TFT display which give more information than anyone requires
- Riding modes comes in handy at different riding conditions
- The most powerful bike in my list
- BMW engineering

Cons:
- Poor mileage 25-27 kmpl
- Zero pillion comfort
- Lack of space at the rear to mount luggage for touring.
- Spares and service cost on higher side
- Long term reliability.

3.Bajaj Pulsar NS200:
I was about to buy this bike when it was re launched in 2017, I was studying college but somehow didn’t end up in purchasing, I am considering the 2024 edition with LED headlight and slipper clutch version which I feel it has been upgraded to motorcycle of this age. One of friends owns 2023 version with USD forks and have ridden it so many time

Pros:
- No nonsense bike
- Very good mid and top-end performance
- It can do 110-120 kmph cruising speed without any stress.
- Sleek and aggressive design, not so bulky
- Around 35kmpl mileage
- Decent service cost and spares.
- Neither best nor worst service center experience
- Wide range of touring accessories available

Cons:
- 2012 design and doesn’t have fresh look
- No exclusivity as NS125 and NS160 is available
- Below average plastic quality
- Poor ground clearance because of underbelly exhaust.
- Pillion comfort is adequate for city rides but not for more than 150 kms
- New all-digital instrument cluster is very compact

4.Bajaj Dominar 250:
Luckily D250 is also available in close friends’ circle and I had chance to ride it in all condition such as ghats, highway and city limits. I am considering it because 2021 above used examples come at around 1.5L mark.

Pros:
- Decent cruising speed (120kmph)
- Returns good average 32-35kmpl
- Nothing much to complain on spares and service
- Looks similar to D400 (big bike feel)
- Adequate pillion comfort for long rides
- Essential touring mods are available

Cons:
- Very bulky design and weighs more than 180kg
- Riding dynamics are not so great
- Skinny rear tire
- Missing gear position indicator in pre 2023 (E20 compatible model)
- No Traction control
- Clunky gearbox
- Design and Features seems outdated.

5. Honda CB 300F:
I have never ridden this bike and once I visited Honda Big wing showroom in my town to enquire this bike for my friend when it had a price cut of 65K but unfortunately the bike was not available in display or test ride so summing it up with the information available in internet. I will test ride this in near future for sure.

Pros:
- 24 bhp and 25.5 Nm torque (very rare in this naked segment bikes)
- 35 kmpl which is great for 300cc bike
- Very good low and mid-range performance
- Easy 100 - 110 kmph cruising speed
- Good rider and pillion comfort
- Honda Engines are generally smooth and reliable
- Doesn’t compromise on features, it has Dual channel ABS slipper clutch, TC and Bluetooth connectivity.
- 110 section tires in front and wider 150 at rear, so it would give good grip.
- Found a few essential accessories for the bike from Zana.

Cons:
- SOHC and oil cooled set up, not sure for a long ride (400-500 kms a day)
- Don’t have good top end performance but livable as I don’t ride beyond 130kmph and it is not safe though.
- Availability of spares in future as this bike didn’t sell in good numbers as CB 350s
- I am not sure about Honda Bigwing Service experience and cost
- Availability of Bigwing service centers in tier 2 /3 cities when something goes wrong in tours.
- Fear of early retirement in Indian market.
- Average plastic quality.

6. RE Meteor 350:
Since my childhood I dreamt of owning a Thunderbird 350 or 500 because of its looks, projector headlight, very broad rider seat, LED tail light and distinct handle bar setup, I really miss that bike now but now I can only buy Meteor 350 which is its successor. I am also doubtful as this bike won’t fit my riding nature or should I wait for 5-6 years from now and buy it my later stage of life to enjoy this bike? I know this bike is meant to be ridden in a relaxed manner and it will not out -perform like other bikes in this list, still I am considering because I liked RE Thunderbird.

Pros:
- Very relaxed riding posture
- Great rider and pillion comfort
- J series engine with less vibrations
- Touring friendly
- Good torque figures -good for ghats
- Classy design

Cons:
- Not so modern as compared to other bikes in the list
- Bike can’t be pushed beyond 115kmph
- Weighs around 185kg
- RE service cost and reliability
- Very basic features.

I would also be interested to have a look at other bikes in the segment:
• Hero Xpulse 200 4V : engine seems to be underpowered and tubed tire is a concern apart from that the bike is good in its stance.
• Hero Karizma XMR, on paper the bike’s spec is good but it has been roughly half year since the bike is launched, I haven’t seen many bikes on roads but only one in my apartment parking, I don’t like its design either and due to my OCD the bike is not well put together I have noticed some panel gaps and rough welding in frame.
• Suzuki 250 twins are not considered because I don’t feel it is a VFM product and new bike is away from my budget, lack of features and not able find good used examples of above 2022 model.

Thanks in advance !
USM_1 is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 15th April 2024, 09:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which 200 - 300cc motorcycle for 2-lakh rupees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by USM_1 View Post
I will use the bike mainly in urban jungles and I tour once in 3 months for 1000-1500 kms and it should have good reliability
Quote:
Requirements:
- Must have dual channel ABS and possibly new age features like slipper clutch, Traction control, all LED lights and Bluetooth connectivity (nice to have).
- Around 25bhp
- I would appreciate touring modification options readily available in the market

Thanks in advance !
If you can set a more realistic financial estimate, I can recommend the Suzuki V-Strom 250 and Speed 400, though they exceed your budget. Waiting a bit longer to save up could offer long-term benefits. While KTM might suit your needs, I'm concerned about the quality of their ASC and availability of spares.

All the other models you've shortlisted, TVS has been reported to stock low spares by few members in this forum; Pulsar 200 barely meets your requirement of 200-300CC; Dominar, less said better. Honda again, spares shortage & limited availability of ASC through the country. RE motorcycles are really heavy to handle within the city rides compared to their peers, otherwise Meteor 350 is really good & again it overshoots your budget as well.

Good luck & pls keep us posted on what you buy

Last edited by aargee : 15th April 2024 at 09:33.
aargee is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th April 2024, 10:48   #3

I would go with CB 300F.
I don’t think you have to worry about early retirement, because it is doing ok numbers, also it’s not a complicated bike.
Big Wing at LB Road in Chennai is a good showroom, the people are good, the cost would be around 2000 per service which you wouldn’t need to do often and you get free netflix in the lounge

It does look premium enough, but not KTM premium. It’s dimensions were the only con that I found, it’s rather cramped if you are 6’ +
Pythonic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th April 2024, 11:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

My suggestion would be to checkout the new Pulsar N250 or wait for the faired version of Pulsar 250.

Xpulse would surely feel out of breathe at 100kmph, forget adding pillion. The new Karizma has more of a KTM 200 like character, short stroke combined with short gearing, check if it suits your riding style.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th April 2024, 11:27   #5
BHPian

VStrom SX 250 is a perfect allrounder and will meet all your requirements but will cost around 2.60L on road. The only con I see is the spare parts availability if any small mishaps happen

In case you cannot exceed 2L budget, I would suggest going for the new Pulsar N250. The reviews are very good. Engine refinement as per reviews is excellent. I saw 2 reviews saying zero vibes even at 110 kmph. Considering it is Bajaj, maintenance and spare parts won't be an issue. 5 speed gearbox but considering how smooth the engine is at 100 speeds on 5th gear, should be fine. Do take a test ride of this.

From the ones you have shortlisted :
Reliability wise, Honda CB300F makes sense, good value for money, but then it looks like Hornet and it doesn't sell too much I think plus only available in BigWing. So not sure about spare parts availability in future.

Outright performance and fun wise, NS200 is unbeatable in that budget but it feels like an old model now even with the updates. So not suggesting it. But can't go wrong if you buy it. Best VFM bike below 2L on road. But don't think it will be smooth at 100 kmph and beyond like CB300F and Pulsar N250.

Same with Apache 200 / used 310.
Great bikes but buzzy engine.

Meteor 350 - I have ridden this and would not prefer it in city traffic. Good for highway cruising ~ 80-90 kmph. Very relaxed engine at that speed and comfortable for pillion as well.

Last edited by Ratan Prabhu : 15th April 2024 at 11:35.
Ratan Prabhu is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 15th April 2024, 13:02   #6
BHPian

I would wholeheartedly recommend the new-gen Pulsar N250. Its got just enough power for city - believe me, 24.5 HP is more than enough on the city roads, and is just right for your weekend rides. If I were to buy a city bike, I would definitely buy this. The refinement is just not what is generally expected from Bajaj because it is light years ahead of the previous pulsars!

Do check out the latest N250! It will be worth a test ride too!
saitvsk23 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th April 2024, 13:37   #7
BHPian

Given your requirements, I guess the Bajaj Pulsar NS200 seems to be a strong contender. Additionally, if you're considering cruising comfortably at speeds around 115 kmph, the Bajaj Dominar 400 could be a good option. If you're willing to slightly increase your budget, you could also look into the Triumph 400. Alternatively, you might find a used Dominar 400 within your budget. Keep in mind that the mileage within Chennai could range from 26 to 30 kmpl, depending on your riding style and traffic. In highway definitely you can expect 30 - 35
raptor_diwan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2024, 17:07   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by saitvsk23 View Post
I would wholeheartedly recommend the new-gen Pulsar N250. It's got just enough power for the city - believe me, 24.5 HP is more than enough on the city roads and is just right for your weekend rides.
Thanks for your input!

The latest version of the N250 comes with good updates, but I feel the 2-valve engine and 5-speed gearbox is a weak links in this product, and it also looks similar to its N150 and N160. I will test ride once to understand more of it.

Dominar 400 is an overkill for my use case. It will return close to 25kmpl, and it is too heavy to handle in city limits.

Triumph 400 is out of budget, and it would return an average below 30 km in the city.

Suzuki Storm 250 is out of my budget, and the Triumph 400 also doesn't fit in my budget, and it will not return more than an average of 30kmpl in the city.

Last edited by Turbanator : 15th April 2024 at 17:29. Reason: Back to Back posts merged. Please use multi quote. Please proofread before posting.
USM_1 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2024, 07:15   #9
BHPian

My suggestion: CB300F. Good enough power,torque, light weight, reliable. Good value too.
ajay0612 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2024, 12:36   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Dominar 400 is an overkill for my use case. It will return close to 25kmpl, and it is too heavy to handle in city limits.
it will not return more than an average of 30kmpl in the city.
If mileage is a concern, why not consider a used Royal Enfield Classic, Thunderbird, or Hunter? Royal Enfield bikes offer good mileage and perform well on highways, with a moderate amount of power.

Considering your height, the Dominar 400 should not be a problem. However, if you feel it's overkill, do consider Royal Enfield Hunter and similar models.
raptor_diwan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2024, 12:51   #11
BHPian

Try the N250 like others have suggested. It's a more complete package now compared to the CB300F. Also throw in the Hero Mavrick 440 into the mix, supposed to be punchy and very comfortable.

I'm upgrading from a Pulsar 220F, and have the Mavrick 440, Speed 400 and the upcoming RE Guerilla 450 in my sights. All very capable and future-proof motorcycles in terms of how much power you'll have to play with.
Sudarshan42 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2024, 13:04   #12

The Hero Mavrick is a great option if your budget is around 2 lakhs (ex-showroom). However, if you are willing to compromise on a few factors, the Honda CB350 RS could be an even better choice. In my opinion, the Honda bike has everything you need - a peppy engine, refined design, and excellent comfort. The Royal Enfield Classic 350 is another bike with similar features and price range.
R_throttle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2024, 13:09   #13
BHPian

My personal opinion on getting yourself a bike is not to try to find a bike that does everything great in all respects. Bike riding is like a love affair (my personal take). You don't love someone/something for every bit, you love for a few traits that overcome any others that you might not like always.

Pick a bike that satisfies or rather outshines your most important requirement and does other things fairly ok. For some it could be comfortable suspension, for some it could be outright speed, for some it could be a rush of torque and for others it could be mileage. It could even be a comfortable pillion seat that's most important for you.

List the traits that you can't compromise on and then test ride the bikes with those traits in mind as a primary driver.

I have owned a handful of bikes, but after riding 3 bikes from different stables, I realized, for me it was the rush of speed and urge to go faster and a commanding big bike feel that made me smile. I finally got my KTM Adv 390 in my budget. It's not perfect but makes me smile whenever I ride.

I won't choose a bike for you, but hope you find your riding soulmate soon. "No bike is perfect, and no bike is bad. Best bike is the one in your garage" - paraphrased words of Shumi from MotorInc.
justwheels is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th April 2024, 19:34   #14
BHPian

I would suggest Pulsar N250. Great all rounder, super smooth and well equipped. It's super VFM after the recent update. It's got good low end torque and solid midrange power. Power spread is much better than RTR200 and it can easily cruise at 100kph. Engine is revv happy too. It can handle city, highway and touring as well.

Next best choice is Honda CB300F. Better than N250 but for ₹20k extra. Honda after sales support is a big headache though.

Xpulse is great for off roading and mild touring. But it's bad for city useage. It's not flickable, rear brake locks easily, has sharp nose dive due to soft suspension and on-off throttle calibration is poor leading to horrible jerking in 2nd gear. And the engine, specifically the bs6 catcon heats up too much in traffic. It's a super fun bike, but just not suitable for city. It's great as a secondary bike.

RTR200 is great fun as long as you use it in city. It feels out of place on highways as the engine lacks any sort of punch above 90kph.

RE 350's are great if you like that kind of peaceful, slow paced riding. If not, then better don't look that way. In my opinion, RE's are also best as secondary bike in the garage.

P.S - If you are to ignore it's age and some associated quality issues, the 2024 NS200 is still the most fun and satisfying bike in that segment. If going the used route, look for a well maintained bs4 Duke 200 or 390.
RD410 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2024, 20:53   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Requirements:
- Around 25bhp
Can i interest you in the RTR 310 rather than RR310 ? Do check our forums and see ownership reviews. It ticks most of your boxes. It has all that you quoted and then some more. The only drawback is that it is 3.25L On-road and that is greatly above your budget and a reduced pillion comfort for slightly "healthier" people.

Link : https://www.team-bhp.com/news/how-do...ider-13-points

Last edited by doomketu : 17th April 2024 at 20:59.
doomketu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks