Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2024, 11:42   #1
BHPian

Phone mounts for motorbikes

Hope its the right place to ask. While travelling & renting scooters, bikes etc I’d love to have a smartphone holder I can install on the handle for navigation etc. Anything recommended with off course phone not falling off being the highest priority & easy installation & dismantling would be awesome.
deep_blue is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2024, 14:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_blue View Post
Hope its the right place to ask. While travelling & renting scooters, bikes etc I’d love to have a smartphone holder I can install on the handle for navigation etc. Anything recommended with off course phone not falling off being the highest priority & easy installation & dismantling would be awesome.
People will beat me up for this, but I have quite successfully used THIS PRODUCT over the past few years, even on motorcycles (& cycles) with no substantial wind protection. Solid performance and nothing to complain for as long as the Rubber/Silicone holds.
roy_libran is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th April 2024, 14:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
People will beat me up for this.
People = RAM Mount or die crowd?

This is perfect. Please keep them coming.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2024, 23:44   #4
BHPian

Quote:
People will beat me up for this, but I have quite successfully used THIS PRODUCT over the past few years, even on motorcycles (& cycles) with no substantial wind protection. Solid performance and nothing to complain for as long as the Rubber/Silicone holds.
Don't the vibrations damage the sensors in the phone over time?

Last edited by Axe77 : 6th April 2024 at 03:04.
Old 6th April 2024, 10:03   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaslu@2028 View Post
Honestly, I'd say a good middle ground between a RAM Mount and this abovementioned product is this Claw Grip Holder with a Vibration Dampener from Bobo (Or any other company if they make something similar). If you use a spare old phone on this, even better.

I checked this out in person recently and the quality seemed top-notch.
Old 7th April 2024, 01:16   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_blue View Post
I have done a lot of rented bike rides around the world and had to look at many options hence I will put forward some of the following points-

1) If using mobile navigation apps from your mobile, the whole using a cheap, used, non branded, B-Grade Chinese whatever.....mobile phone 'just' for your navigation does come with some major drawbacks. Firstly, you either need another dedicated sim with another data plan for that (OK, before you tell me, yes, you can also connect it via the Bluetooth of your 'expensive' main mobile in which case you can look at my Point No 3). Secondly in higher summer ambient temperatures your mobile can sometimes overheat & shut off (it has happened to my OnePlus in Saudi Arabia). Anyways dust, heat, vibrations etc are not friends of mobile phones. Lastly in the event of a rain there is a 50-50 chance depending on the downpour, the mobile can pack up. Has happened to a couple of people I know.

2) I have used the Claw and few other mobile holders (Chinese stuff) and find this below type a relatively better/flexible option (esp on a rented bike) as you wont need any extra tools to affix or remove it. Besides, it comes with a few different rubber mount strips which you can use to clamp it on your handlebar or mirror stem depending on the diameter. I have used a similar unbranded Chinese unit at speeds of upto 140km/h outside India and it has not flown off, although on all these there is that inherent anxiety if they fall off or somebody snatches it etc!
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07DHJVZC9/...hlbWF0aWM&th=1

3) For almost a year and a half I am using the "Wireless Android Auto/Car play Navigation unit" which I bought from AliExpress. I would rate this the best navigation solution if you are going to be using mobile navigation apps instead of GPS and want to ride in all kinds of weather. This mirrors your main mobile thru Bluetooth and it is vibration proof, water proof, heat proof etc etc while your main mobile can be safely stored in your jacket or tankbag or wherever. I have not seen any unusually higher mobile battery usage with this unit either. I have now used it for close to 10,000 kms and its going great. It has been thru brutal downpours of 2-3 hours in Turkey & Morocco and worked with no issues. I have also ridden it in 40 deg C in Saudi Arabia and it didnt shut off or anything. It needs a USB power outlet or you can hardwire it to your bike's battery. All needed hardware comes included in the box. Also when going away from the bike you can take just the unit with you and leave the cradle on the bike.
It sure has a few limitations, but does the job well. It doesnt have a battery so it comes ON with the bike started and goes off when you turn off the bike ignition. Also, if your mobile loses data connection for a few moments the unit stops at that point and then you have to go back to your mobile and just press the 'Start' icon on your Gmap. A workaround this is to download offline-maps for the route you are doing each day from your home or hotel etc and it works without interruption. Even if you stop for a food, fuel, toilet break when offline as soon as you start your bike within a few seconds the unit automatically connects back to your mobile. For use on a rented bike, I just carry a simple Size 11 spanner and fix the mount while renting and remove it when returning the bike. Here are pics on a rented bike in Morocco and on my own bike in Saudi Arabia
Attached Thumbnails
Phone mounts for motorbikes-gopropic2.jpg  

Phone mounts for motorbikes-gopropic.jpg  

Phone mounts for motorbikes-tft1.jpg  

Last edited by Haroon : 7th April 2024 at 01:29.
Haroon is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 7th April 2024, 01:30   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon View Post

3) For almost a year and a half I am using the "Wireless Android Auto/Car play Navigation unit" which I bought from AliExpress. I would rate this the best navigation solution if you are going to be using mobile navigation apps instead of GPS and want to ride in all kinds of weather.
Hey. Thanks for this helpful post but it would be great if you could include a link for the specific product as well, just like you have for the other mount.

Thanks.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2024, 03:18   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Hey. Thanks for this helpful post but it would be great if you could include a link for the specific product as well, just like you have for the other mount.

Thanks.
My apologies. I had bought it from AliExpress which I am not sure works in India, thats why I didnt post the link. Anyways here below is the link if you could kindly incorporate it in my earlier post. Its sold under various brands & prices but all the same item.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...27181802cRsIzv

I randomly found this seller in India:

https://www.amazon.in/LBW-Motorcycle.../dp/B0C148LRTG

Last edited by Haroon : 7th April 2024 at 03:29.
Haroon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th April 2024, 10:55   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't trust my S23 Ultra to ANY mount, despite whatever the marketing claims. I use a cheap, old, spare phone for Navigation.
roy_libran is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th April 2024, 13:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

I've been using Redmi 1s smartphone since its launch in 2014 as a cheap dedicated navigation device without any sim. Back in the days when the 4G was non-existent and network wasn't that great I used to download offline maps from Sygic and HERE maps. Used to work flawlessly with the phone's inbuilt GPS that would latch on to A-GPS, GLONASS, etc. for offline navigation. Yes it is a bit slow and laggy in today's terms, but then I saved a ton of money/headache rather than risking my primary phone.

The phone mounting has come a long way since those old water resistant zipper type covers with a flimsy mounting mechanism. I've used everything from local brands to RAM mount. In my experience although RAM mount is expensive but it is versatile and has a lot of customization options wherein it's mounting base can also be used for mounting action camera's. With regards to charging, I use a power bank to juice up the phone's battery during lunch break, tea break, etc. or put the power bank into my tank bag and connect it to the phone for charging on the go. I was/am never comfortable with splicing wires or hardwiring the motorcycle battery to charge the phone. Unless the motorcycle comes with an inbuilt charging unit from the factory I would never touch the electricals.

I have a pair of two phone mounts. One for city usage (Grandpitstop Jaw Grip). Second for touring (RAM Mount Quick Grip XL). As I don't ride during monsoon the concept of a waterproof phone mount has never crossed my mind.
navin_v8 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th April 2024, 13:47   #11
Senior - BHPian

Good idea. I have my old iPhone 7 hooked up permanently
Quote:
I don't trust my S23 Ultra to ANY mount, despite whatever the marketing claims. I use a cheap, old, spare phone for Navigation.
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2024, 16:56   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Solid performance and nothing to complain for as long as the Rubber/Silicone holds.
This is the critical part and this is where the problem is. My RAM mount's silicon hold has started tearing. So off it has gone.
And got something like this - The new item is closed to protect the phone from Mumbai rains. But the downside is the bag become hot and phone doesn't get any "air-cooling" while riding.

Quote:
Long long back I lost phone's camera due to the vibrations from the handle bar. Item used was Rynox phone mount. Phone was a Nokia Windows phone. Issue happened - the wiring solder for the camera came off.

BTW on a side note, your handle tells me that you are attempting Manaslu in 2028. If indeed such is the case, am in awe and wishing all the best!
MileCruncher is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th April 2024, 18:35   #13
BHPian

Quote:
BTW on a side note, your handle tells me that you are attempting Manaslu in 2028. If indeed such is the case, am in awe and wishing all the best!

I am indeed prepping for it. Climbing the ladder slowly. For now i have climbed Kang Yatse 2 which is 6250 metres. Will be attempting Kang Yatse 1 this year which is 6400 metres. Same mountain but the higher peak. It is technical and will help me get used to Crevasses, fixed ropes, Jumar etc. Plan is to climb 7000 metres in 2026 and onwards to a 8000er later. Fingers Crossed.
manaslu@2028 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th April 2024, 19:59   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
The phone mounting has come a long way since those old water resistant zipper type covers with a flimsy mounting mechanism. I've used everything from local brands to RAM mount. In my experience although RAM mount is expensive but it is versatile and has a lot of customization options wherein it's mounting base can also be used for mounting action camera's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
This is the critical part and this is where the problem is. My RAM mount's silicon hold has started tearing. So off it has gone.

Quadlock with its vibration dampener works well, I've been using it with my iPhone 13 for about 6 months now. Of course, for a long ride over multiple days and/or a hard off-road ride, I would prefer to put a dedicated phone/Nav device instead of my primary phone. But for simple rides puttering around town and simple 1-2 day rides, I find this to be an excellent compromise. It also has charging options (which I have not yet mounted), which are better than the cable charging that I use in the picture right now.

Phone mounts for motorbikes-2591940d17125676012023apriliatuareg660ownershipexperiencebikingrestartimg_19211.jpg

I am not a fan of the CarPlay/AndroidAuto option as it means we not only need to feed power to the CarPlay/AndroidAuto device but also the phone that is casting to the device.
praful is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th April 2024, 20:56   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Good idea. I have my old iPhone 7 hooked up permanently
Fully agree. Exactly my approach too. I don’t break my head too much on the vibration quality of the mount. I have a spare cheap phone which is the one I mount for maps / navigation etc.

Two phone approach anyway solves multiple things for me - all non-important WhatsApp groups are junked on to that. It’s also a spare SIM for connectivity back up when I’m traveling to remote places so hedges the phone / data service providers as well.

The cheap phone mount is perfect for maps on a phone while on the road. No point risking an expensive flagship phone for such activities.
Axe77 is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks