Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2024, 23:22   #1
BHPian

Thinking of upgrading to a twin-cylinder motorcycle | Wise choice?

Hello fellow Bhpians

I own a Honda Hness 2021 model and since the launch of the Super Meteor 650, the 9 year old inside me has been pestering me to switch from the Hness to the 650, with the sole criteria of the kid in me are its aesthetics and it being a parallel twin. I have ridden the 650 twice and here are some few points that I have for and against the motorcycle :-

For
  • Looks handsome : The proportions are spot on for me and its beautiful(I have always liked cruisers).
  • Comfortable riding posture : I am on the bulkier side and 190cms tall,its comfortable and definitely more comfy to sit on than my Hness (not thats its not, just relatively).
  • The sweet parallel twin : The harmony, the power delivery everything is just fantastic, more so when compared to a single cylinder ride. Though I also find the Hness James May like 'adequate' and it doesn't sound bad too.
Against
  • Will be expensive : Starting from the price, it will be expensive to ride with significant drop in fuel consumption, I know that it is subject to riding style but I don't think I might see anything more than 27. In addition to this will be the service bills, the service on Hness already cost just slighlty less than my Ciaz petrol, I don't think the 650 would be any cheaper. Any RE 650 owners kindly throw some light on running costs.
  • Not many long tours : I haven't done any long trips on my Hness and I think the 650 will also see the same fate, the longest I have done is 400km on a single trip(one day).
  • Hness is easier to ride: While the 650 has a better posture, the Hness feels much easier to ride, its much lighter (I don't know what Honda has done with the weight distribution but the bike feels so nimble) the ride quality on Hness is way more superior (I know that cruisers have this limitation due their design but I think I can live with the ride quality of SM 650) and special mention to the light slipper clutch.
  • Reliability: With over two years of ownership, nothing has gone wrong with the Hness, on the contrary I have heard some scary RE stories.
Taking all this into consideration, do you guys think its a good choice to upgrade or should I just stick with the Hness.
HEMIOrange is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 15th March 2024, 02:20   #2
BHPian

re: Thinking of upgrading to a twin-cylinder motorcycle | Wise choice?

Hi
I owned the Highness for 6 months before I got bored with the motorcycle. I bought the Interceptor 650 and sold the Highness. It is a year and 20 days since I bought the interceptor. 16500 kms later, I am a very happy man. If your heart says 650 twin, go for it. We all live only once!
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Thinking of upgrading to a twin-cylinder motorcycle | Wise choice?-img_20230707_042415.jpg  

Thinking of upgrading to a twin-cylinder motorcycle | Wise choice?-img_20230703_062127_copy_1600x1200.jpg  

rajeevsulu is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 15th March 2024, 07:35   #3
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
re: Thinking of upgrading to a twin-cylinder motorcycle | Wise choice?

While I agree double cylinder is going to be fun for riding, I just wanted to point out in suspension issues that I have read many reviews. From what I understood, SM650 is suitable only on smooth tarmac. Owners can give better insight on this.

I recommend you to wait for upcoming 650CCs from RE for better pool of choices.

Service estimate can be found in RE website: https://www.royalenfield.com/in/en/s...ost-calculator

Last edited by tech_rider : 15th March 2024 at 07:39.
tech_rider is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th March 2024, 09:41   #4
BHPian

Re: Thinking of upgrading to a twin-cylinder motorcycle | Wise choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_rider View Post
While I agree double cylinder is going to be fun for riding, I just wanted to point out in suspension issues that I have read many reviews. From what I understood, SM650 is suitable only on smooth tarmac. Owners can give better insight on this.

I recommend you to wait for upcoming 650CCs from RE for better pool of choices.

Service estimate can be found in RE website: https://www.royalenfield.com/in/en/s...ost-calculator
+1, Rear suspension on the SM and front on the Interceptor are just bad. I have seen few discussions where folks have changed them to something better, but it will be additional cost. The engine is great though, go for it.
gtx2 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th March 2024, 10:11   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMIOrange View Post
Hello fellow Bhpians

I own a Honda Hness 2021 model and since the launch of the Super Meteor 650, the 9 year old inside me has been pestering me to switch from the Hness to the 650, with the sole criteria of the kid in me are its aesthetics and it being a parallel twin. .
You could also checkout the NX500, as you've pointed out in the post, you being on the heavier or taller side would not matter as NX 500 is a fairly bigger vehicle than CB350. I've heard only good things about this vehicle.
aston_martyr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th March 2024, 10:25   #6
BHPian

You could also wait for the upcoming 650cc versions of the Scram and the Himalayan, which are expected to have better suspension setups than the Super Meteor. They might be no cruisers, but they'll allow you to have upright seating and ability to tour over long distances.

https://www.bikewale.com/royalenfield-bikes/
davelok is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th March 2024, 10:35   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Also 27 kmpl is something or near about that I have experienced only on highway, city I get anything between 20-23. You need to refuel every 200-230 kms depending on how you ride in the city.

The bike had it's share of small niggles but yes when it runs, it just runs beautiful and makes you really happy. The niggles are also something that if you are a DIY guy you can only take care of it or tell the mechanics.
AtheK is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2024, 12:27   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Hello fellow Bhpians

I own a Honda Hness 2021 model and since the launch of the Super Meteor 650, the 9 year old inside me has been pestering me to switch from the Hness to the 650, with the sole criteria of the kid in me are its aesthetics and it being a parallel twin. I have ridden the 650 twice and here are some few points that I have for and against the motorcycle :-

For
  • Looks handsome : The proportions are spot on for me and its beautiful(I have always liked cruisers).
  • Comfortable riding posture : I am on the bulkier side and 190cms tall,its comfortable and definitely more comfy to sit on than my Hness (not thats its not, just relatively).
  • The sweet parallel twin : The harmony, the power delivery everything is just fantastic, more so when compared to a single cylinder ride. Though I also find the Hness James May like 'adequate' and it doesn't sound bad too.
Against
  • Will be expensive : Starting from the price, it will be expensive to ride with significant drop in fuel consumption, I know that it is subject to riding style but I don't think I might see anything more than 27. In addition to this will be the service bills, the service on Hness already cost just slighlty less than my Ciaz petrol, I don't think the 650 would be any cheaper. Any RE 650 owners kindly throw some light on running costs.
  • Not many long tours : I haven't done any long trips on my Hness and I think the 650 will also see the same fate, the longest I have done is 400km on a single trip(one day).
  • Hness is easier to ride: While the 650 has a better posture, the Hness feels much easier to ride, its much lighter (I don't know what Honda has done with the weight distribution but the bike feels so nimble) the ride quality on Hness is way more superior (I know that cruisers have this limitation due their design but I think I can live with the ride quality of SM 650) and special mention to the light slipper clutch.
  • Reliability: With over two years of ownership, nothing has gone wrong with the Hness, on the contrary I have heard some scary RE stories.
Taking all this into consideration, do you guys think its a good choice to upgrade or should I just stick with the Hness.
SM650 is a proper cruiser that works great for straight tarmac, not a jack of all trades like Hness. Lowering our expectations regarding dynamic utilization would be better, cause of longer wheelbase with lower ground clearance doesn't work well for our Indian road conditions.

Why not await the future 650 bikes, such as the Scram or Classic? Given that their predecessors are the cornerstone of RE's lineup and are known for their refinement, it's likely they'll achieve perfection.
nidhinpr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th March 2024, 13:02   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeevsulu View Post
Hi
I owned the Highness for 6 months before I got bored with the motorcycle. I bought the Interceptor 650 and sold the Highness. It is a year and 20 days since I bought the interceptor. 16500 kms later, I am a very happy man. If your heart says 650 twin, go for it. We all live only once!
Cheers
I think you cleared a lot of things. Thanks Buddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aston_martyr View Post
You could also checkout the NX500, as you've pointed out in the post, you being on the heavier or taller side would not matter as NX 500 is a fairly bigger vehicle than CB350. I've heard only good things about this vehicle.
I have heard a lot of positives for the NX500 but it’s way over my spending limit.

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Axe77 : 16th March 2024 at 20:40. Reason: Mod Note attached.
HEMIOrange is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2024, 13:41   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What're your top 3 issues with Honda 350?
What, in your opinion, are top 3 issues with Interceptor 650?

When replying assume that you've 10 Lakhs tax free awaiting only if you purchase a motorcycle otherwise entire money will be disappear without a trace!
aargee is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th March 2024, 14:14   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtx2 View Post
+1, Rear suspension on the SM and front on the Interceptor are just bad. I have seen few discussions where folks have changed them to something better, but it will be additional cost
Yet the fix for the Interceptor front suspension is deceptively simple- change standard front fork oil to 20W form 1400 bucks and voila, feel the difference
achyutaghosh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th March 2024, 14:31   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyutaghosh View Post
Yet the fix for the Interceptor front suspension is deceptively simple- change standard front fork oil to 20W form 1400 bucks and voila, feel the difference
The only gripe with the Honda is that its not a twin cylinder and nothing else.

For the SM 650:
- Would be thirstier and more expensive to maintain.
- Ride is harsh and its too bulky to handle
- RE A.S.S, Honda has me spoiled here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhinpr View Post
Why not await the future 650 bikes, such as the Scram or Classic? Given that their predecessors are the cornerstone of RE's lineup and are known for their refinement, it's likely they'll achieve perfection.
The future models would likely be better as all round performer but I am a bit hesitant about being an early buyer of an RE model.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 16th March 2024 at 20:41. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Kindly use the Edit/Quote+ functionality to quote multiple posts.
Old 15th March 2024, 15:25   #13
BHPian

Quote:
The future models would likely be better as all round performer but I am a bit hesitant about being an early buyer of an RE model.
Given Royal Enfield's track record, it's understandable to observe a noticeable enhancement in their quality management over the past 3-4 years. However, areas such as cable management and fine detailing still have room for improvement to achieve a more polished and elegant product. They can learn a thing or two from Triumph in this department.

Taking a cautious approach, waiting for the initial batch of bikes to be sold, and gauging customer feedback could be prudent. If time permits, holding off for a few extra months would give a clearer picture of the motorcycle.
nidhinpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2024, 18:00   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Would be thirstier and more expensive to maintain.
I am riding SM650 for a year - mine was one of the first deliveries. No concerns on quality - either for my bike or in the known owners from the riding group. On maintenance, major expense has been oil change - it takes 3.1 liters twice a year at ₹2k per refill! Rest is negligible. No issues/concerns during the service at RE service centers in my city. I get about 21kmpl mostly in city drive conditions.

Quote:
Ride is harsh and its too bulky to handle
It is - however after riding it for some time, you will get a hang of it. Weight and stiff suspension do not take away the joy of a very planted and fun ride at 100+ kmph (under appropriate safe road conditions). Test drive it for a longer duration on tarmac to decide if SM650 is indeed for you. I have been thoroughly enjoying it!

Last edited by KarthikK : 16th March 2024 at 19:19. Reason: Fixed the broken quote tags
Prashant_BHP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2024, 18:24   #15
BHPian

Do not go for it if you got double thoughts. At the end of the day it's your hard earned money. No matter how the promising it looks or sounds. However, you don't have to think twice as far as the RE's reliability is concerned. It all depends on the owner. Even the most reliable jap motorcycle would leave its owner stranded road side if it's not looked after well. I have been riding a rather vibey (pun intended) RE Bullet ES350 MY2018 aka Bullet Electra 350 since April 2018. It has never disappointed me and has surprised me with its rugged and forgiving nature. Getting it serviced on time was all I did.
Phantom 510 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks