Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2024, 17:59   #1
BHPian

DIY: Disabling the Automatic Headlamp ON (AHO) in a Hunter 350

I had purchased a RE Hunter 350 in September last year. Bit by bit, the bike was accessorized according to my liking. The bike is used primarily for office commute and short rides and ownership experience so far has been relaxed compared to my earlier vehicle, a decade old CBR250. While CBR is a good vehicle, maintaining such vehicle in a rural area has its own challenges. The CBR ownership and challenges it threw, will need another thread and shall not drag it here.

In this post, I’ll focus on how the AHO (automatic headlight ON) was disabled in my bike using a simple mod. This mod is universal and can be applied on most vehicles. On the advent of BS4 vehicles, Govt. had mandated DRL (daytime running lamp) for two wheelers. Companies like TVS provided a dedicated LED DRL in most of their vehicles, whereas most manufacturers chose to keep the low beam always on and removing the headlight on/off button altogether. The contribution of such measures to improving road safety is debatable.

DIY: Disabling the Automatic Headlamp ON (AHO) in a Hunter 350-xl.jpg

There are different methods available to disable the always on headlight such as adding an extra switch to low beam wire / change the handlebar OEM switch assembly to one of an older model / get a plug-in module to wiring harness. I didn’t want an extra switch poking out of handle bar and the second option (OEM switch assembly) was also not possible as Hunter never had an older with headlight on/off button. The aftermarket plug-in module also seemed expensive for the function it offered.

DIY: Disabling the Automatic Headlamp ON (AHO) in a Hunter 350-aho.jpg

Being a DIY enthusiast, it was time to apply some of it to this problem (self-thought one). One solution was to form a two-relay based setup which shall switch off the low as the vehicle is started. I had bought these relays and made a wiring diagram, but to mount the relays space was a constraint. It had to be placed under the seat and the wiring had to be routed under the fuel tank to headlight area. I kept the plan under hold and was on the lookout for further options.

A wildcard entry to my plan was a photo-relay (Photosensitive relay). It was already used in our household to automate external lighting after dark. These relays however were rated for 230-volt AC and 12-volt DC options were exorbitantly priced.

DIY: Disabling the Automatic Headlamp ON (AHO) in a Hunter 350-relay.jpg

Few hours of google search and I ordered a 12-volt DC photo relay from a Pune based components supplier online. It reached me in a week and work started.

Let the pictures do the talking.

DIY: Disabling the Automatic Headlamp ON (AHO) in a Hunter 350-20240129_203051.jpg

Headlight cover removed.

It had enough space to route wires and had hold a headlight coupler (male to female). The H4 coupler makes the whole process free of any wire cutting / disturbing the factory wiring.

DIY: Disabling the Automatic Headlamp ON (AHO) in a Hunter 350-20240129_150116.jpg

The photo-relay and wiring harness.

DIY: Disabling the Automatic Headlamp ON (AHO) in a Hunter 350-20240129_150226.jpg

DIY: Disabling the Automatic Headlamp ON (AHO) in a Hunter 350-20240218_155611.jpg

The relay mounted under headlight and behind number plate, neatly concealed.

DIY: Disabling the Automatic Headlamp ON (AHO) in a Hunter 350-20240218_155601.jpg

Waterproof connector from headlight coupler to relay.

Whole setup is removable in 15 mins to stock form.

Outcome:

The relay gets power as the bike turns ON (engine starts) and light (low beam) stays OFF during day. As daylight intensity falls, the relay output switches and gives power to Low beam wire and headlight becomes ON. The daylight intensity switches the relay typically around evening around 6pm in our area and is ideal. The placement of relay behind the number plate ensures that the headlight doesn’t turn off at nighttime while light beam of an opposite vehicle might fall on it.

Even during day, one can turn on the headlamp by placing the switch on HIGH beam as only low beam wiring was modified.

Pros:
Low beam off during day / reduced electrical load / DIY = satisfaction!

Cons:
At a dim lit area, when the low beam is kept ON by photo-relay, if high beam is turned ON, it will cut supply to the relay (but high-beam will be working normally). When beam is changed back from high to low, the relay needs 2-3 seconds to power ON and switch ON the low beam. This will cause a condition of no light for 2 seconds while changing from high to low. This condition is OK for me according to by bike usage pattern (minimal night usage / well illuminated roads) but may not suit everyone else. One can however use the PASS switch normally without any such effect.

Verdict:
A simple but effective DIY for me. Personalizing one’s bike is a joy indeed. All the components required can be sourced online and can be completed in less than an hour. The bike has an additional pilot lamp ( T 10 , 5 Watt bulb) inside headlamp housing which is always ON for people who are worried about no headlight during day.

DIY: Disabling the Automatic Headlamp ON (AHO) in a Hunter 350-20240215_08551401.jpeg

Cheers!!!
maheshm619 is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 11th March 2024, 19:20   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: DIY: Disabling the Automatic Headlamp ON (AHO) in a Hunter 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshm619 View Post
Pros:
Low beam off during day / reduced electrical load / DIY = satisfaction!
Good DIY details, but do keep in mind that the headlight ON could save your life. Research has continuously shown that vehicles with their low beam on (during the day) are significantly more visible to other vehicles on the road. This is especially more important on a motorcycle as an accident puts you at high risk of bodily injury.

Whether at junctions or in the rearview mirror of other larger vehicles, having your headlight ON registers your presence in their driver's brain.

Don't make such mistakes. There is nothing really to be gained by "reduced electrical load". Any gains are placebo effect, at best. There is a reason why headlamps-on is mandatory in USA. There is a reason why AHO is compulsory in almost all of Europe. It is why DRLs in cars have become brighter & brighter. You really cannot argue with research, statistics & studies by reputed organisations around the world.

Please don't make such mistakes. You could pay heavily for it. Forget grievous injury, even a painful fracture recovery of 1-month will make you heavily regret this.

Please put your AHO back on.

Last edited by GTO : 11th March 2024 at 19:30.
GTO is offline   (58) Thanks
Old 12th March 2024, 11:37   #3
BHPian

Re: DIY: Disabling the Automatic Headlamp ON (AHO) in a Hunter 350

Not done mate, I believe this is a risk DIY you have undertaken.

Personally, I have seen two wheelers with headlights on, easy to spot on the roads and I ensure I ride my Aprilia (that did not come with Always On Headlight) with the headlights on always.

Would suggest leaving the headlight in always on mode and doing your bit towards the safety of other motorists on the road!
vinair is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th March 2024, 12:00   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshm619 View Post
In this post, I’ll focus on how the AHO (automatic headlight ON) was disabled in my bike using a simple mod. This mod is universal and can be applied on most vehicles. On the advent of BS4 vehicles, Govt. had mandated DRL (daytime running lamp) for two wheelers. Companies like TVS provided a dedicated LED DRL in most of their vehicles, whereas most manufacturers chose to keep the low beam always on and removing the headlight on/off button altogether. The contribution of such measures to improving road safety is debatable.
What an absolute waste of time, material and energy. If you're capable of this DIY you should've at least put it to some good use. You first write that this was Govt. Mandated and then go ahead and disable it? Why would you do that?

Maybe you want to learn it the hard way.

I will put this mod squarely in the same bucket as those who put blinking indicators, leave hazards on while riding and those use have blinding aux lights even inside well lit cities. Nothing more than a nuisance.
adrena is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 12th March 2024, 12:07   #5
BHPian

I own a Bajaj Avenger 220, Model 2015 for my daily office commute. My Motorcycle does not have DRL or All time Head On.

After I noticed 2 wheelers with AHO function I made it a habit of keeping my headlight always on in Low Beam to get noticed by the opposite vehicle.

So, I am trying to do exactly opposite of what you have done.

Safety is yours, so choice is yours !
Apex1815 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th March 2024, 13:02   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex1815 View Post
I own a Bajaj Avenger 220, Model 2015 for my daily office commute. My Motorcycle does not have DRL or All time Head On.

After I noticed 2 wheelers with AHO function I made it a habit of keeping my headlight always on in Low Beam to get noticed by the opposite vehicle.

So, I am trying to do exactly opposite of what you have done.

Safety is yours, so choice is yours !
Same with me, I always keep headlight on for Vespa S, 2013 model.
Old 12th March 2024, 14:29   #7
BHPian

When I used to go on long rides on motorcycle( Activa, Bajaj v15, Pulsar ), covering around 500-600 kilometers on the highway, I missed having this feature. I always kept the headlight on, even in high beam, because being the smallest vehicle on the highway, it was essential for safety, especially with cars speeding at 120+. It was risky for me, and I considered adding a feature like (DRL). However, the maximum I could use was the headlight ( warranty issue ). This was one of the reasons I chose the Dominar, attracted by its distinctive DRL.

I noticed a friend of mine had done a similar DIY on his Royal Enfield Classic a while ago. When I asked him about it, he mentioned that it was primarily due to a heating issue near speedometer. Is that the reason you implemented this, or was the electrical load the sole consideration for doing this?

Last edited by raptor_diwan : 12th March 2024 at 14:49.
raptor_diwan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2024, 14:38   #8
BHPian

It is useful for me. My Yamaha Aerox has dedicated DRLs and the low beam is always on. I dont know why Yamaha has put DRLs as well as low beam LEDs always ON.
Silver Knight is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th March 2024, 14:44   #9

Not cool. This is just like people arguing against helmets. The reason behind the government mandate makes perfect sense. But if you decide to keep it against all the wisdom everyone's throwing at you here, that rely module looks like it can hit the mudguard on a full compression of the shock absorber; does it?
5hank3r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2024, 15:12   #10
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

An amusing anecdote springs to mind. During one of our bike rides, we were stopped by the cops wanting to make a quick buck seeing all the fancy bikes and riding gear. my friend was on his Iron 883. Though all of us had bikes with AHO, for some reason, the cops picked on him and asked him to switch off his headlamp. All his pleas that it couldn't be done, fell on deaf ears and they were adamant to challan him for some perceived offence. When a fellow rider finally asked the traffic cop what did he actually want, the cop went across to the 883 and turned the ignition off. The headlight obviously, was shut down. He then turns and says, this is what I have been asking him to do and he's showing his ego. A few laughs and apologies later, we were all off on our way.
handsofsteel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th March 2024, 15:15   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Good DIY details, but do keep in mind that the headlight ON could save your life.
Thanks.I get your point and would definitely give it a second thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5hank3r View Post
that rely module looks like it can hit the mudguard on a full compression of the shock absorber; does it?
No, it doesn't.

Though the intention of the whole thing is questionable, the execution is par OEM standards.

I use the bike for commute in a sparsely motored area, where maybe number of cattle on road outnumbers large vehicles.Most of the time, the stretch is isolated requiring anything like a DRL. The lights can still be kept ON using the beam selector switch and shall be definitely used in scenarios mentioned by everyone.

In future, I might end up with a proper dedicated DRL than the existing setup.
maheshm619 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th March 2024, 16:25   #12

This AHO really put heavy load on the motorcycle battery?
Old 12th March 2024, 19:56   #13
Senior - BHPian

This is unsafe and technically illegal. It certainly shouldn't be on the front page of TBHP.
v1p3r is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th March 2024, 20:25   #14
Senior - BHPian

Appreciate your enthusiasm and attention to detail!

I'm at the other end of the spectrum - I'm paranoid about being seen on my motorcycle. My Himalayan has AHO, so low beam is always on. By dusk, I switch on my multi pattern hazard flashers also when on the highway. Maybe I look like a chapri/squid, but no doubts that I'm seen - and that's what matters the most.
Geo_Ipe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2024, 20:52   #15
BHPian

I suggest adding a custom DRL that's on during day and switches to headlight during night.
SteeringWheel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks